• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University TA ‘Censured’ After Playing A Clip From A Debate About Transgender Pronoun

When teaching assistant Lindsay Shepherd played a 3-minute clip from a television show regarding the use of gender pronouns, she likely didn’t expect she’d be the subject of an official inquiry — but that’s exactly what happened.

On November 1, Shepherd, who teaches a "language use and writing skills component" tutorial for a larger communications class at Wilfrid Laurier University in Ontario, Canada, played a clip in which University of Toronto professor, Jordan Peterson, debates Nicholas Matte over gender pronouns on the Canadian TV show, "The Agenda."

In the clip, Peterson argues against what he calls "compelled speech" regarding transgender pronouns like "zir" and "xe."

According to Shepherd, she took a completely neutral stance, neither condemning nor applauding Peterson’s position. However, one or more of her approximately 48 students filed a complaint with the school. As a result, Shepherd was censured, and brought in for a meeting with course professor, Dr. Nathan Rambukkana, Dr. Herbert Pimlott, and Adria Joel, Acting Manager of Gendered Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention and Support at the Diversity and Equity Office.

The meeting, which took place on November 8, was secretly recorded.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/23804...ter-playing-clip-debate-frank-camp#exit-modal

another nugget from the daily wire

Shapiro Deconstructs The Myth 'America Was Founded On Slavery' In New Video

cEQahUG.gif

daniell

You people deserve Trump for the fact that you spread this "being offended for others sake" but in reality its a hobby of "professional" victims that think them being offended gives them a excuse to attack people.
This crap is going out of control and destroying the lives of random people and making them ACTUAL victims compared to the garbage people that attack them.

You people deserve Trump for the fact that you spread this "being offended for others sake" but in reality its a hobby of "professional" victims that think them being offended gives them a excuse to attack people.
This crap is going out of control and destroying the lives of random people and making them ACTUAL victims compared to the garbage people that attack them.

It is ludicrous that these people are teaching in universities..

at least they backed down after public attention was shone onto them...

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/...es-to-ta-for-jordan-peterson-censorship-drama

https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2017/nov/apology-from-laurier-president-and-vice-chancellor.html

https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2017/nov/open-letter-to-my-ta-lindsay-shepherd.html

this happened in canada genius

a neutral stance on what? respecting nb people?

If you actually watched or read the transcript she played a couple min from a panel debate discussing pronouns.

As in showing people arguing for and against.

She was warned/threatened because of that, because she played a fucking debate.

Not hateful rhetoric, a back and forth discussion.

Now piss off with your attempts at derailing

daniell

"why is it no ok for me decide what other people are allowed to hear? dont you know i am perfect in my views and therefore the perfect judge of everyone elses?"

"especially after i redefine my opponents in whatever way i want so i can then act and censor in every way i want."

This is basically the whole stick of this new nonsense and why suddenly everyone right of a communist gets insulted as nazi hell if you want borders you might be even literal hitler lol

sans_pants

avec_pénis
dailywire link? check

people decrying the downfall of society because some random professor at some random school got a talking to? check

elevated discussion on my neogaf? check and mate

Dunki

Look first of all I am all for a thrid pronoun but anything else would be absolute terrible for a language and the use of it. Example:

Pronoun-cards-2016-02-1024x585.png

This is way too much and ridiculous in my opinion. Also there is a difference between respecting nb people or cuddle them like little children. Again A university is a place of though and discussion and least this is what it used to be.

But sure. How would you think if a university will censor black history classes because people in there feel uncomforatble? How about lectures about rape andexperiences of rape victims were censored because people feel uncomfortable.

And yes the last example actually had happend already.

dailywire link? check

people decrying the downfall of society because some random professor at some random school got a talking to? check

elevated discussion on my neogaf? check and mate

Shitposts ignoring the subject or other link? Check

Thread complaining? Check

Nice to see you are caring about the state of free speech and university standards

llien

Could someone explain how usage of a long list of hard to remember pronounce could help transgender people?

You realize that the incident in OP has allegedly happened in Canada?

we use ben shapiro's site as a news source now?
Unless he has been caught with making up facts, audio recording is just an audio recording.

Could someone explain how usage of a long list of hard to remember pronounce could help transgender people?

It can't, its outrage for outrages sake. As a MtF i solely identify as female and find all this xer/xi shit preposterous.

Unpopular opinion - if you are "trans" but make no effort to be a woman other than wearing a dress you are a man in a dress.

Non binary is just this decades metrosexual

llien

The most ironic thing about this situation is that it proved Peterson was right. His issue with the bill was on 'compelled speech' and that the bill would be used to censure discussion. Which is exactly what has happened in this case, regardless if you agree with him or not.

Dunki

cool

jordan peterson isn't

which was who was in the video

Still don't you think that this can be a good way to actual start a discussion about these topics? The teacher did not present it as the only right opinion but rather something that she wanted to discuss or thought needs discussion.

In Germany we often have these kind of methods even in the 5th or 6th grade. We are getting a quote without any form of judgement and then we discuss the topic. Some of these quotes were from people Like Hitler, Stalin, Bismark etc. And it was always very interesting to start a whole theme with these kind of quotes since afterwards we learned the context, the reasoning etc.

Even if you do not agree with him these are still opinions which you can not just ignore or censor since they will always exist. Trying to save young adults from this is not helping at all.

Relativ9

cool

jordan peterson isn't

which was who was in the video

Actually, he doesn't really give a shit. It's true that he doesn't think it'll necessarily do nb's any good to label themselves as something most clinical psychologist and not to mention biologists regard as an open question that still needs a lot more study to determine if it's healthy.

What Jordan Petterson is against is compelled speech. If you can make it illigal not to refer to someone by their preferred pronoun, there's is nothing stopping you to use the same logic to make it illegal not to refer to Justin Trudo as "his excellency".

If you want to call your friend xyr I don't think Jordan Petterson would give a shit.

its such a rampant problem that it led to no actual discipline at some school in canada no one has ever heard of

It's not like this sort of thing hasn't happened a bunch lately at major universities around Canada and the US.

its such a rampant problem that it led to no actual discipline at some school in canada no one has ever heard of
"Hey guyzzz!! I'm not Canadian, I have no idea what's going on up there with thier Igloo shaped universities, this isn't affecting any one I know...Never heard of anyone or anyplace in this story. So I'm gonna file it as a "nonissue" mmkay!"

HarryKS

Similar thing happened to me. But it did not escalate that far. Did not get a dress-down of that level. Of course, 4 years ago, it wasn't that crazy yet. It was just starting.

These are the days of the improved NeoGAF, remember? Supporting your entire argument with lies is in, now.

I have several youtubes linked in there plus statements from the university....yet you still want to whine?

I can post a youtube of the audio if that makes you feel safer Pasta?

take your pick

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+Lindsay+Shepherd

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Lets just be honest..

A LARGE majority of society will never accept or adhere to the ideas of 'Trans' or 'Non-Binary'

Your cant expect people to accept whats in 'your' head when it flys in the face of logic/biology.

Honestly this was a horrible way to make a lesson on the subject of "language use and writing skills” even if it was a short video.

It’s too bad someone in the class got offended as well.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Lets just be honest..

A LARGE majority of society will never accept or adhere to the ideas of 'Trans' or 'Non-Binary'

Your cant expect people to accept whats in 'your' head when it flys in the face of logic/biology.

Most transsexuals I know (including me) ridicule non binary genders, the use of gender neutral terms and most of all gender-neutral pronouns. These ideas are pushed by a lunatic fringe that give all transgenders a bad name.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Most transsexuals I know (including me) ridicule non binary genders, the use of gender neutral terms and most of all gender-neutral pronouns. These ideas are pushed by a lunatic fringe that give all transgenders a bad name.

See, I respect that honesty. I have no issue calling a trans women a woman and treating you as such.
I feel tho your cause has been predominately been hi-jacked by a lunatic fringe.

Like, recently Ive been reading about 'The Cotton Ceiling' and its a clear example of the fringe thats dominating the actual discussion.

These types are the ones muddying up the waters.

https://queerfeminism.com/2012/03/2...for-all-queer-and-trans-people-to-fight-back/

Calling out Lesbians...cause they dont want to have sexual relationships with trans women? Especially pre-op which is crazy!

NB are trans so idk what you’re talking about

NB are trans so idk what you’re talking about

No they are NOT.

Most of us who actually transition and live as the other sex DO NOT CONSIDER OURSELVES TRANS.

I was born male, I transitioned to a female and I am now female. Tell your story walking buddy,with telling us who we are.

YOU ARE WRONG

You can be straight, gay or bi, all this gender neutral/non-binary nonsense is getting absurd, as I stated earlier its just this generations metrosexual.

The point is that you do not feel like the sex you are born with so you become the opposite sex, not some in between attention seeking virtue signaler

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
No they are NOT.

Most of us who actually transition and live as the other sex DO NOT CONSIDER OURSELVES TRANS.

I was born male, I transitioned to a female and I am now female. Tell your story walking buddy,with telling us who we are.

YOU ARE WRONG

You can be straight, gay or bi, all this gender neutral/non-binary nonsense is getting absurd, as I stated earlier its just this generations metrosexual.

The point is that you do not feel like the sex you are born with so you become the opposite sex, not some in between attention seeking virtue signaler

Amen.

No they are NOT.

YOU ARE WRONG

No I’m right

Transgender = you don’t identify with the gender/sex you were assigned at birth. NB do not identify with the gender they are assigned, so they are transgender. The gender one transitions to isn’t what qualifies one as transgender.

This is very basic and you should know this

Relativ9

No I’m right

Transgender = you don’t identify with the gender/sex you were assigned at birth. NB do not identify with the gender they are assigned, so they are transgender. The gender one transitions to isn’t what qualifies one as transgender.

I'm not trans and I don't pretend to be well versed in the topic, but wouldn't non-binary by definition be someone who doesn't identify as either of the two binary options (male or female). So if someone who used to be a man transitions into and identifies as a woman they are by definition not non-binary?

No I’m right

Are you a "trans"? No, then get out with your ignorance.

I'm not trans and I don't pretend to be well versed in the topic, but wouldn't non-binary by definition be someone who doesn't identify as either of the two binary options (male or female). So if someone who used to be a man transitions into and identifies as a woman they are by definition not non-binary?

Yeah they would be transgender but not non-binary.

But the thing is that it isn’t the transition that qualifies you as transgender but rather your identity. I’m not sure how the two trans individuals on this page refuse to accept that fact and instead choose to shit on other transgender individuals. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves. I dunno.

kruis

No I’m right

Wikipedia: "Genderqueer, also termed non-binary, is a catch-all category for gender identities that are not exclusively masculine or feminine*—*identities which are outside the gender binary and cisnormativity. Genderqueer people may express a combination of masculinity and femininity, or neither, in their gender expression."

I hate the use of transgendered as an umbrellaterm because it makes these discussion so tiresome. In the old days there were transsexuals, non-op transsexuals, and transgendered folks. Most TS people I met were transsexuals like me. I knew only one actual transgender, a gay man who lived full-time as a woman and didn't want an operation because she liked sex with men too much. I only knew one genderqueer/non binary person who saw his/herself as neither man nor woman. He/she was a post up TS who regretted the operation and is still an active genderqueer spouting radical left wing ideas that no one takes seriously. He/She is IMO a typical exponent of that lunatic fringe that give other transsexuals a bad name. Because actual pre-op/post-op transsexuals have 100% binary genders.

So Rasta went from, "Why can't you respect people? Call them what they want to be called." Too "No, you are not that, you are this. And you should know that, stupid." amazing.

Top Bottom