• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct - Today! Right Now! [cvxfreak summary Post #85]

Hiltz

Wii U VC games will be playable on the gamepad... thats what it means.

I thought it could mean a lot of things. Maybe releasing the entire Wii's VC game library again (there's over 400 titles), just releasing new VC downloads for all platforms (where's Yoshi's Island ?!), or maybe just a new ones like for GameCube.

Tagg9

Have they specifically said why Wii games aren't playable on the gamepad? The gamepad's resolution is 480p, so I can't see scaling being the issue.

Obviously it will be incompatible with games that require pointer controls, but apart from incompatible controls I don't know what the issue is.

Kyou

Have they specifically said why Wii games aren't playable on the gamepad? The gamepad's resolution is 480p, so I can't see scaling being the issue.

Obviously it will be incompatible with games that require pointer controls, but apart from incompatible controls I don't know what the issue is.

To play Wii games you are emulating a Wii. The Wii cannot communicate with a Wii U pad.

piteru

Banned
ok here is the god damned freakin deal.
lets say i decide to transfer my wii vc/wii ware games to wiiu.
and my system is broken:am i going to lose my games?
im asking this,because i havent found a single piece of news whether my wii purchases are transfered in my nintendo network account.
.if so,next year they said that nintendo network is going to expand in other nintendo systems.
3ds is a given,but IF wii is added to this,well yes my games stay on wii

Pretty much.

I'm okay with that. Gotta monetize dem evergreen titles.

Most of my Wii VC games will stay on my Wii, I'd only rebuy the classics to play again on the Gamepad (Mario 64, MM, OOT, Super Metroid etc.)

I'm not ok with that at all. If I bought them, I shouldn't have to re-buy them.

Tagg9

To play Wii games you are emulating a Wii. The Wii cannot communicate with a Wii U pad.

So while you're in Wii mode, you can't access the Wii U OS at all? Eh, that's kind of shitty but obviously Nintendo is shooting for 100% compatibility. Sounds identical to the GC compatibility mode with the Wii.

Kyou

So while you're in Wii mode, you can't access the Wii U OS at all? Eh, that's kind of shitty but obviously Nintendo is shooting for 100% compatibility. Sounds identical to the GC compatibility mode with the Wii.

Yeah, pretty much. It's exactly the same reason you can't use the CC Pro on Gamecube games.

kunonabi

Virtual Console reset to beginning, start trickling releases all over again!

One of the many reasons I'm not transferring my Wii data over. The Wii will stay on my crt and will be my Wii/GC/Retro machine.

It really sucks that Nintendo is making no moves to actually make the VC relevant again. I'm going to buy the few Wii VC titles I'm missing and just buy the occasional portable VC game on my 3DS when they get released. I'm probably going to have to buy another NGPC since they aren't getting around to those anytime soon.

UberTag

Can't wait to repurchase all of my Virtual Console titles on Wii U for GamePad support.
Thanks Nintendo! You're the best!
Be sure to stagger the releases so they come out even slower than last time around.

MisterC20XX

Wow, I love Nintendo Directs! I wish other companies did this. So nice to get the info direct from the source rather than wading through secondhand recaps.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I hope that in the future they'll allow some sort of key transfer to my Nintendo Network ID or whatever and let me redownload Wii U compatible versions for free.

... Who the fuck am I kidding? Nintendo milking that shit. >_>

Anth0ny

I'm not ok with that at all. If I bought them, I shouldn't have to re-buy them.

didn't you buy them for nes/snes/n64?

It's delusional to think Nintendo was going to sell you Super Mario World digitally once for $5 and let you keep if forever, transferring it to every new Nintendo console that is released until the end of time.

If you want the new, tablet controller support, you're going to have to fork over the extra dough. Until then, they still let you transfer the games over and play on the TV, like always. Seems like a smart business model to me. Is it fair? I guess that's up to the consumer.

Personally, I'm in no rush to rebuy (and replay on the gamepad) my vast collection of Virtual Console games. Like I mentioned before, I'll quintuple dip on Ocarina of Time to get the gamepad support, but I won't be randomly impulse buying like I did with the Wii VC.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So, there's hope for Cube VCs being playable on the Pad? Good.

Anth0ny

So, there's hope for Cube VCs being playable on the Pad? Good.

There certainly isn't a good excuse.

Besides the fact that certain GC games aren't fucking playable (Mario Sunshine and Smash Bros Melee) due to the controller not having analog triggers.

It's delusional to think Nintendo was going to sell you Super Mario World digitally once for $5 and let you keep if forever, transferring it to every new Nintendo console that is released until the end of time.

If you want the new, tablet controller support, you're going to have to fork over the extra dough. Until then, they still let you transfer the games over and play on the TV, like always. Seems like a smart business model to me. Is it fair? I guess that's up to the consumer.

Personally, I'm in no rush to rebuy (and replay on the gamepad) my vast collection of Virtual Console games. Like I mentioned before, I'll quintuple dip on Ocarina of Time to get the gamepad support, but I won't be randomly impulse buying like I did with the Wii VC.

I never said we should be able to transfer them forever. It's just that the functionality between the two would be so similar, the only add on would be to use it on the pad. I am aware they have to work around the Wii mode, but I don't think it's fair to have to buy the entire game again. Perhaps a 1 or 2 dollar upgrade? That seems a lot better.

Alec

Prepare to be legitimately shocked, then. They've already done this by putting NES games on the 3DS eShop.

Let it be said that I agree with you. I don't believe that Nintendo will come up with a system that will allow those who have already purchased VC games on the Wii to upgrade to the Wii U version for free.

But your comment got me to thinking...linking all of these accounts together, Wii, Wii U and 3DS...it would put Nintendo in an excellent position to advertise their own "Cross Buy" promotions.

- 8GB = 7.2GB, 32GB = 29GB in terms of actual save data. Wii U uses around 4.2GB when using the system for the first time.

Why the discrepancy in amount of used storage space in basic vs deluxe? Basic uses .8 GB's while Deluxe uses 3 GB's? Was it mentioned or anyone have a clue?

Sushigod7

Maybe they can have a Nintendo Direct next month for the 3DS where they talk about putting Gameboy Advance & Super Nintendo games on the eShop. Then at the end of the conference announce the new Majora's Mask.

I love Nintendo but man what a joke.

Anth0ny

I never said we should be able to transfer them forever. It's just that the functionality between the two would be so similar, the only add on would be to use it on the pad. I am aware they have to work around the Wii mode, but I don't think it's fair to have to buy the entire game again. Perhaps a 1 or 2 dollar upgrade? That seems a lot better.

Yeah, that would be fair. Unfortunately, I still don't see it happening.

Maybe they can have a Nintendo Direct next month for the 3DS where they talk about putting Gameboy Advance & Super Nintendo games on the eShop. Then at the end of the conference announce the new Majora's Mask.

I love Nintendo but man what a joke.

Yeah with all the glory of Fallblox I completely forgot how pitiful the Virtual Console is looking right now. If the whole point of the service is to illicit nostalgia, what is the point in putting games on there only a handful played? I know, I know. Drip strategy. Can't release everything at once. It still sucks.

New Majora's Mask though? No... no thankyou. Maybe a third game to complete the "Ocarina" trilogy where he finally finds Navi.

Pretty disappointing I have to use whatever drive I get for the WiiU only on the WiiU. There's no way I'm going to fill up 1TB, especially when first party games are apparently only going to be a few GB.

There certainly isn't a good excuse.

Besides the fact that certain GC games aren't fucking playable (Mario Sunshine and Smash Bros Melee) due to the controller not having analog triggers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a classic gamecube controller.

Akai

Pretty disappointing I have to use whatever drive I get for the WiiU only on the WiiU. There's no way I'm going to fill up 1TB, especially when first party games are apparently only going to be a few GB.

Don't use NintendoLand and NSMBU as any indication of every future Wii U game size...

JimboJones

Don't buy a 1TB drive then, I only got a 320GB 2.5" drive for the Wii for backing up my games no need to pay extra for space you wont need.

I havn't bought any drive yet for my delux model, i'll work out what I need in 6 months to a years time. I doubt i'll be buying many retail games digitally unless Nintendo or third partys offer some benifits.

Don't buy a 1TB drive then, I only got a 320GB 2.5" drive for the Wii for backing up my games no need to pay extra for space you wont need.

I havn't bought any drive yet for my delux model, i'll work out what I need in 6 months to a years time. I doubt i'll be buying many retail games digitally unless Nintendo or third partys offer some benifits.

I was getting 1TB mostly because it seemed like I would get more bang for my buck. 320Gb isn't that much cheaper than it.

AzaK

Wait until someone gets one and checks it out. If they are using a standard Filesystem you may be able to re partition it after the initial format. Or someone will figure out how to do it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
2 TB is fine. Nobody is going to need that much space, unless the Wii U retail game downloads take up a crazy amount of space, like Tekken Tag 2 does.

2 TB is fine. Nobody is going to need that much space, unless the Wii U retail game downloads take up a crazy amount of space, like Tekken Tag 2 does.

There will be games that take up the whole 25GB on the disc, but I'm expecting the average to be between 10-15GB for retail games. Even if the average ends up being 20GB, you should be able to fit almost 100 games on a 2TB HDD.

andthebeatgoeson

RE USB power: I suspect the reason Nintendo is saying single USB powered drives are unsupported is due to USB 3.0 portable HDDs. The Wii U only supports USB 2.0, which is fine, but they're probably covering their arses if, for whatever reason, a particular single USB 3.0 drive requires a power draw in excess of USB 2.0s capabilities. As in that case there would be performance issues.

I'm fairly certain that unless there's some really weird shit going on under the hood, a majority of single USB 2.0 HDDs will perform perfectly at full power when plugged into the Wii U.

Good to hear. I guess I can get one and if it doesn't work, get another enclosure with a y cable or even one with a power adaptor. I'm not sure which is worse. A y cable or a single USB cable and a power adaptor. I kind of like the idea of having no power adaptor connected.

Edit: Anybody have any links to good, cheap 500 GB or 1 TB HDD's? I hear people talk about 2 TB for $100 yet I see a lot of 1TB HDD for $100 on Amazon.

boiled goose

good with gravy

I want to transfer them forever. Yes.

When I buy a song on itunes, it is transferred to my new ipod.
When I buy a game on steam, it will be transferred to my new PC.

Digital content is different from physical content. You are not only investing in hardware anymore, but a service and a platform.

If I have to rebuy my VC games on WiiU for them to be tied to my account I am never buying any digital content from nintendo ever again.

Somnid

Probably only a matter of time before we get software that can read a WiiU formatted drive.

Doesn't matter. Like the 3DS everything will be referenced by incomprehensible GUIDs linked to an encrypted database of title info. You would have no way to know what you are managing.

Pociask

Digital content is different from physical content. You are not only investing in hardware anymore, but a service and a platform.

If I have to rebuy my VC games on WiiU for them to be tied to my account I am never buying any digital content from nintendo ever again.

Same. Imagine if Apple released a new iPod and it wouldn't play any of your old songs. Nintendo is selling the hardware and the software. I expect the digital Nintendo software that Nintendo sells me to work on all Nintendo hardware I purchase. I can wait.

Doesn't matter. Like the 3DS everything will be referenced by incomprehensible GUIDs linked to an encrypted database of title info. You would have no way to know what you are managing.

I'm assuming he'd want to backup the files, so that should be possible.

andthebeatgoeson

There will be games that take up the whole 25GB on the disc, but I'm expecting the average to be between 10-15GB for retail games. Even if the average ends up being 20GB, you should be able to fit almost 100 games on a 2TB HDD.

I'm hoping they average around 10-15 GB. A 500GB HDD puts me around 30-50 games. By that time, I usually am ok with Refrigerator maintenance. I usually don't have a need to play that many games. Unless they have some 1TB drives around $50-60. That's what I'm seeing a lot of the 500GB go for. Maybe I should wait another week and see what I can get on black friday.

sakipon

Same. Imagine if Apple released a new iPod and it wouldn't play any of your old songs. Nintendo is selling the hardware and the software. I expect the digital Nintendo software that Nintendo sells me to work on all Nintendo hardware I purchase. I can wait.

But the games do work. Just go to the Wii mode and they'll all be there.

Is Apple giving remastered songs for free?

andthebeatgoeson

Same. They are making a killing off of these. $5 for a game they got one intern to code in a day? Ok, that may be extreme but they are not sinking a ton of money into these things. It's time for all hardware manufacturer's to allow these titles to be persistant. It's a goodwill gesture. It's what will keep people coming back. The knowledge that you have 10-20 VC titles just waiting for you will be a benefit. They need to do that at least, in the face of the economy and the changes the vg industry has gone thru.

AzaK

And remember, they said that they will be adding the ability to add another drive down the road. There is nothing to worry about.

Hobby

Some screens/translations.

New Super Mario Bros. U stored on internal memory and Nintendo Land stored on a USB device.

kCk5Z.jpg

Copying and movement of data will be possible with a forthcoming update

gyIm2.jpg

And the Data Management menu:

Top button:
- Manage Data

Bottom button:
- Format USB device

Bottom left button (B):
- Go back

cihcW.jpg

Left button: