• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct - Today! Right Now! [cvxfreak summary Post #85]

sensui-tomo

I just hope they have a way to partition some of the space in the external hard drives.. i dont like the idea of buying another one or deleting all of my stuff on it.

I just hope they have a way to partition some of the space in the external hard drives.. i dont like the idea of buying another one or deleting all of my stuff on it.

If you partition it in advance, the Wii U should (hopefully) see the separate volumes and only use the one you want it to. Again, hopefully...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I take it the Y-cable is for the extra USB slot plugged to a box that is connected to an outlet?

Y-cable is dual USB, that's all, thus potentially greater power draw for stability and performance, if the drive requires it.

I thought Reggie said we could use any size hard drive, 2tb limit, while big, is not what he said.

He said you could use any hard drive. He never said the Wii U would be able to access the entire drive. There's nothing preventing you from using a drive bigger than 2TB. The Wii U won't see all the space on it, but you can still use it.

Y-cable is dual USB, that's all, thus potentially greater power draw for stability and performance, if the drive requires it.

so if my usb drive has a separate power source will i still need the Y cable? From the translation I don't think I will but I want to make sure.

so if my usb drive has a separate power source will i still need the Y cable? From the translation I don't think I will but I want to make sure.

No. The second plug on the Y-cable is just to draw power from the 2nd USB slot. If your hard drive has it's own power supply, you won't need a Y-cable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ahh so essentially just plugging it twice to the Wii U.

Yep. Nintendo is only guaranteeing externally powered drives as it means the power is totally out of their hands. Can't get much better than a plug direct to the socket. USB draws power from the system, and if the drive's power draw exceeds the Wii U's USB 2.0 capabilities then you'll have problems (in theory). A USB Y-cable draws power from two USB ports instead of one, which should (in theory) rectify any problems, but again Nintendo won't guaranty it.

But as I said, a standard USB 2.0 drive will probably work just fine with a single power draw direct from one port. Works for the Wii, works for most everything else. Nintendo is just covering their arses. And worst case scenario, pick up a Y-cable for a couple of bucks.

As above, no, you should be fine, as the power draw is coming from a power outlet.

He said you could use any hard drive. He never said the Wii U would be able to access the entire drive. There's nothing preventing you from using a drive bigger than 2TB. The Wii U won't see all the space on it, but you can still use it.

Plus, does it even matter? No one is going to fill up a 2TB HDD anyway.

If you go 100% digital and every game is 25GB (they won't be), you'd have to buy almost 80 retail games to fill that up. In reality you'll probably have to buy twice that to fill up a 2TB HDD.

Shabutaro

Interesting stuff. Im having a love hate relationship with the spontaneity of the Nintendo Directs.
So, will the wii u have some sort of media player? Can I load it up full of movies and music and what not? Supposing I get a 2TB hard drive, it would be nice to fill it with something. (Sorry if this was already asked)

Interesting stuff. Im having a love hate relationship with the spontaneity of the Nintendo Directs.
So, will the wii u have some sort of media player? Can I load it up full of movies and music and what not? Supposing I get a 2TB hard drive, it would be nice to fill it with something. (Sorry if this was already asked)

Nintendo won't pay codec fees for that, so it's not likely. Besides, you're not going to be able to have both music/video files and WiiU data on the same HDD; unless they allow for partitions, which I doubt.

AzaK

My 32 GB just went down to 29 GB.

Damn base 10!

And the system nicks a few more Gigs for itself - bastard!

Bummer they can't supply enough power with one USB cord to run an external drive, but a y cable isn't too much of a problem especially with 2 more ports on the front for peripherals.

Lol. So, the basic edition leaves you with 3GB of available space? They should at least have made it 16 GB, seriously.
Yeah, that's pretty miserly if I say so myself. My 32GB edition becomes 25G, minus the day one update and combined with not running stuff from SD means I will be forced into an HDD sooner than I wanted (Which was never). Ahh well.

Also, was this ND advertised anywhere? How the fuck to people find out about it other than through places like NeoGAF? I guess by not advertising Nintendo can get a good idea how well word of mouth works.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Bummer they can't supply enough power with one USB cord to run an external drive, but a y cable isn't too much of a problem especially with 2 more ports on the front for peripherals.

It's more of "it can", but not being responsible "if it hiccups at some point".

Van Owen

Banned
It's pretty funny Nintendo prides itself on this low power system that requires 3 separate wall outlets to become useable.

Shabutaro

Nintendo won't pay codec fees for that, so it's not likely. Besides, you're not going to be able to have both music/video files and WiiU data on the same HDD; unless they allow for partitions, which I doubt.

I guess I was hopeful because they allowed music on the 3ds. And if i recall correctly, they allow .avi files in 10 minute chunks. (not sure though but it sounds familiar)
I dont see why they would omit those features, but Im not sure if weve had a confirmation either way

I guess I was hopeful because they allowed music on the 3ds. And if i recall correctly, they allow .avi files in 10 minute chunks. (not sure though but it sounds familiar)
I dont see why they would omit those features, but Im not sure if weve had a confirmation either way

I think it's safe to say that a Nintendo console will never be a media center of any kind. Well, they will allow for streaming services such as Netflix, but that's as far as they'll go. Though, that is the future for all platforms I guess.

andthebeatgoeson

I just bought this Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard because it has no backup software installed

Wii U is my most expensive console ever now :|

hope this HDD does not burn me

That seems to have a plug. You should be okay. I guess we need some estimates on how much power the USB will have. I'd much rather have reliability than cost, so I'm worried about buying a HDD for my 2.5 enclosure. I'll wait it out and hold off on buying. They are losing out on day 1 DD sales from me because of this. This seems cheap, by them.

It's so hilarious that their per-game emulator setup for the Virtual Console ended up coming back and biting them on the ass, and it's even more hilarious that they didn't come up with any solution to this (for example, a Wii U wrapper for compiled Wii executables) in the last two years.

Yeah, I'm less likely to buy any Wii VC games if I have to boot up to the Wii menu and buy from the Wii store. If I have to redownload them, why isn't the Wii Store and games up and running on the Wii U store. Seems lazy. I'm sure they'll say it has to do with programming or hardware but I get the sense this will require an update in about a year.

Josh7289

I'm waiting for more news on how the Wii U-native Virtual Console is going to work, especially with regard to playing VC games transferred from a Wii. Until then and the until more of the Nintendo Network infrastructure is finished, I'll hold off on a Wii U purchase. I don't want to buy an incomplete console, basically.

And I've got a backlog that's plenty big anyway.

AndTAR

I would've understood banning USB flash sticks from game storage if it only covered those with inferior read speeds. Cheap brands are ridiculously slow; they can hit 5 MB/sec.

However, many flash drives exist with great speeds, even exceeding the 22.5 MB/s optical drive. Iwata is already educating customers on the storage system and difference between advertised/formatted data space, so why not also add this: "To use USB flash memory for games, it will need faster access time than 22.5 MB/s"?

DarkWish

I would've understood banning USB flash sticks from game storage if it only covered those with inferior read speeds. Cheap brands are ridiculously slow; they can hit 5 MB/sec.

However, many flash drives exist with great speeds, even exceeding the 22.5 MB/s optical drive. Iwata is already educating customers on the storage system and difference between advertised/formatted data space, so why not also add this: "To use USB flash memory for games, it will need faster access time than 22.5 MB/s"?
USB flash sticks are not banned from storage... they're just not recommended by Nintendo. So if you really want to use one, go for it.

USB flash sticks are not banned from storage... they're just not recommended by Nintendo. So if you really want to use one, go for it.

But basically, it should work as long as the read/write speeds are fast enough. Again, it's just Nintendo covering their asses in case it doesn't work.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
The Nintendo Network Premium is the only thing keeping me from buying the cheap version day 1.

When they fix it, I'll buy the cheap WiiU, and will buy separately the cheap plastic if I feel I need them.

Hiltz

- There are plans for a Wii U Virtual Console that WILL be compatible with the Wii U GamePad. Please look forward to it in the future.

Now we have to ponder what exactly this means.

Pociask

Two things I take away from this.

1) Nintendo secretly hates piracy with a white hot fury. You don't see any public comments about it, but the experience with the DS flashcards and I guess Wii piracy too put preventing piracy on the top of their priority list, even to the point of overriding customer wishes. Want to use SD cards? Too easy to pirate with, no. Want to use your external storage harddrive that you also store photos on? Nope, could enable piracy, have to make sure a specially formatted USB hard drive is used. Want to connect TVii to your home network so it can play all your media files? Nope, might provide a back door for pirates to get on the Wii U, it's going to be Netflix and DVR's only. (all DVR's? Just TiVo? Not sure we know yet).

2) Nintendo is very ambivalent about the Virtual Console, and possibly disappointed with its results. Consider, for the Wii, it was one of the advertised features before the launch. They built the ability to purchase games from the Virtual Console into Smash Bros, one of their flagship titles (and took away free NES games from Animal Crossing). With the Wii U, they're not even recognizing those purchases on the New Nintendo Account (because piracy?), they're not launching the console with a Wii U VC, and they are flatly refusing to make Wii VC games playable on the Gamepad. You wonder how much they expected Sin and Punishment 2 to sell based upon VC purchases, or Kid Icarus, for example (I have no proof that these franchises received new releases based upon VC sales, but it's as good as guess as any. You have to hope they went to Konami and showed some Super Castlevania and Rondo of Blood sales too, but who knows).

andthebeatgoeson

The Nintendo Network Premium is the only thing keeping me from buying the cheap version day 1.

When they fix it, I'll buy the cheap WiiU, and will buy separately the cheap plastic if I feel I need them.

I can understand if you don't want Nintendoland. I worry that 3 GB will disappear quickly when they start doing the monthly updates that take up to 0.5 GB for everygame. I'll be curious what people experience after launch. I can understand slowly releasing information but this is ridiculous. We should have these answers for all the launch games. How big are the saves, on average. The disks are printed. Pull out each game, make a save and see how much it will take for all the launch games. Compare them to the current gen consoles. But, Lol Nintendo and Lol games journalism. Double Lol

I knew it

Yeah, but they have absolutely zero offerings on day 1? That's worse than Wii! I know the system will have other things to offer out of the box, but Virtual Console is one of their greatest strengths IMO. They are now treating it as a second class service. But then again, that's pretty much how it's always been. Sad...

Anth0ny

Virtual Console reset to beginning, start trickling releases all over again!

Pretty much.

I'm okay with that. Gotta monetize dem evergreen titles.

Most of my Wii VC games will stay on my Wii, I'd only rebuy the classics to play again on the Gamepad (Mario 64, MM, OOT, Super Metroid etc.)

Top Bottom