• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #251 - UE4

charsace

Barriers to entry and learnig effects. Ue3 is more documented has a bigger user pool and ce3 is discriminated against because it has fewer users and struggles to find (pay?) early adopters.

If devs thought CE3 was better for them they would use it.

Tzeentch

CryEngine SDK doesn't exactly offer much for the small independent studio (e.g. bundled third-party tools, easy shader authoring). Compared to what you get with UDK or Unity it's pretty ghetto with regard to tools and pipeline. Their documentation is also pretty laughable (when it doesn't have broken links or still references CryEngine 2) since they obviously wanted the community to do the work of maintaining and expanding that, but they hired the handful of people who put the time into learning the tools. Crydev is a pretty depressing place to watch these days.

The best thing I can say about it is that it puts some pressure on Epic to get the UDK4 out ASAP.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You guys need consider that SMAA has different viariants:
1x is basically enhanced MLAA
T2x is MLAA + subpixel resolve and temporal supersampling
2x and 4x versions are MLAA combined with modified MSAA [2x/4x] resolve.

TXAA is also using hardware multisampling combined with postAA, but i dont know details, its also quite taxing, TXAA 4x cost about the same as MSAA 4x, TXAA 2x same as MSAA 2x. Its Kepler exclusive tech currently, so there is no chance for it in next-gen consoles.

I did know this but I was just saying that even 1x SMAA is significantly better than FXAA. I'd like to see 2x become common. Not too much of a performance hit and good IQ.

Jonnyram

Too be honest I didn't notice 'em

FjXwbMpm.jpg

There you go.
Hmm, the blue is a bit off in this image.
It should look a lot lighter.
I'm wondering what it could be.
May well be a redesigned Chao, but I guess we'll have to wait for next month.

Interesting. How so?

the way it is typically used is to cover up grapical seems in gameplay or to put a ditinct focus where there would otherwise be noise from aliasing or just clutter. Typically on distant objects... overly close objects (like the rear sight of a gun).

Those tend to be non-intrusive and helpful implementations.

faridmon

6 for Antichamber? I mean yes, it does lose steam halfway through, but the imagination alone warrants some praise let alone the style and the substance behind it. It plays smoothly and its legnth is perfect for a downloadable game.

Barely 30 seconds in and Antichamber has lied to us, suggesting we jump over a gap that not only looks impassable, but is. The solution, we find out when we work our way back up, is to walk off the edge and watch as a bridge forms beneath us.
It’s just the first of many little tricks this game pulls. This is a world where staircases end on the floor they began; where you can fall four floors and find yourself staring through a window at where you just stood; where you turn your back on something, look around, and find that it’s gone.

I hope that is a praise, bceaue if they fault this game for this, then god help us all.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
6 for Antichamber? I mean yes, it does lose steam halfway through, but the imagination alone warrants some praise let alone the style and the substance behind it. It plays smoothly and its legnth is perfect for a downloadable game.

it doesn't lose steam at all (only a player does) and I completed it in 12 hours. Edge are narrow-minded conservative asshats, that's all. I mean MW3 received 9 from them.

faridmon

it doesn't lose steam at all (only a player does) and I completed it in 12 hours. Edge are narrow-minded conservative asshats, that's all. I mean MW3 received 9 from them.

Maybe I shoudl have added ''Maybe'' but yeah, I agree that it does stay enjoyable througout, however my comment was directed to Edge and why they might lower the score for an already amazing game. I personally bellieve thier opinion on this game this game is not grounded enough for to understand their negativity (or rather their mild enthusiasm) about this game. Everything they have stated in that review does not necessarily mean its bad or incomplete.

Really bizzare review.

Top Bottom