• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

I personally think Thanos is going to be an ultimate boss in the story mode. I think he's going to double cross our heroes and use them to get rid of Ultron Sigma. I just think Death in the story is only there to give him the motive to do it.

I mean how many movies have you made bomb now?

The Nice Guys was a good movie, why'd you have to do it like that

Several, I am the Hitmaker after all, the Bronson Bump has brought many movies to the promised land

I had to destroy The Nice Guys because there were boobies in it

I have a feeling Lady is going to be DLC with Sigma or maybe even in the base roster. Gives a high-profile franchise like DMC a second rep, and explains why Kalina Ann is missing from Dante's moveset

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whos Lady again? I know shes from DMC.

Dahbomb is frothing with rage right now.

whos Lady again? I know shes from DMC.

Dahbomb is frothing with rage right now.

Dante's ally that likes to shoot him in the head

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I hope winter soldier is just a story npc I think he'd be a pretty boring addition.

I'd take Winter Soldier over Spencer. Feel that most of Spencer's attacks could have been tweaked to work on Winter. A grappling hook, grenades, bionic arm...but somehow we still got creepy teeth Spencer.

Just had a thought on the roster/dlc.

Ryce (IIRC) listed Winter Soldier as a base roster member. If Venom is in fact also on the base roster, and if Death is actually just a story NPC, then maybe the other dlc new comers are actually Ant-Man and Ghost Rider. Ghost Rider being Robbie this time around?

He didn't list Bucky at all

Does this character have a huge fan following?

latest

I ask because I'm not a fan of DMC, and yet the first time I ever got introduce to the series, my best friend let me play his copy of DMC 2 and I was playing with her.

Dahbomb

She is associated with the worst game in the series so not really.

She is a cool character design though, she deserved to be in a better game.

my best friend let me play his copy of DMC 2
Probably need a new best friend if they willingly let you play that game. Good friends never let friends play DMC2.

LOL why would I be frothing in rage? Lady in Marvel would be cool.

She definitely has swag for this game:

yg1MnW.gif

Makes Chris's Magnum look like a pea shooter.

I think they meant that you'd be upset they didn't know who she was

and Lucia should get another shot in a game, but probably not right now. Trish and Lady would be more acceptable

Capcom really should have used DMC4 Dante. I get that 3 was a huge successful comeback for the series with Dante's design and personality attributing to that, but it's time to showcase adult Dante.

She is associated with the worst game in the series so not really.

She is a cool character design though, she deserved to be in a better game.

Probably need a new best friend if they willingly let you play that game. Good friends never let friends play DMC2.

For someone who's never played dmc I always recommend dmc2 first and it's obvious why. If they play any other game before dmc2 that'll make dmc2 completely unplayable for them.

---

Better question about story mode, does anyone think Thanos ISN'T the final boss/antagonsit?

For someone who's never played dmc I always recommend dmc2 first and it's obvious why. If they play any other game before dmc2 that'll make dmc2 completely unplayable for them.

---

Better question about story mode, does anyone think Thanos ISN'T the final boss/antagonsit?

But from my understanding, DMC2, in chronological order is the last one?

Thanos has been working with the good guys a few times (he was a member of Adam Warlock's Infinity Watch and he also was trying to beat Annihilus' forces from the inside in Annihilation), so it's not exactly out of the question for him to behave.
We definitely will see some duplicity from him though.

sinkfla87

With all the roster omissions this game had better have like 30 DLC characters by the end of its lifespan lol. Is there a chance Scarlet Witch could ever show up? Oh and Vision, where the fuck is he?

I watched DR strange the other night on Netflix. I'm cool with MCU Ancient One being in the game. Bring it on, hataz.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm actually kind of excited to see what happens with the roster. I'm not going to be happy with the end result either way (no X-Men, no Doom, no Wesker, et cetera), but I'm curious to see if 28 is the final number or if there are more characters as suggested by the file leak, and I wonder if my source has base Ant-Man and DLC Venom mixed up somehow.

Same here. my expectation is still at 28 since it's pretty set for a low expectation.

I think the best guess is Ant-Man and The Winter Soldier are the remaining Marvel DLC characters, and maybe Meio (I'm skeptical) and Hunter as capcom DLC characters. The rest of the characters (i.e. Haggar, Dormammu, Venom, etc.) would be base.

IIRC IntelliHeath or a junior member posted a pretty good educated guess at what the base and DLC would be like maybe 10 pages back.

I'm very curious about rest of four DLC characters. Would Ant-Man be part of base roster or not.

With all the roster omissions this game had better have like 30 DLC characters by the end of its lifespan lol. Is there a chance Scarlet Witch could ever show up? Oh and Vision, where the fuck is he?

I watched DR strange the other night on Netflix. I'm cool with MCU Ancient One being in the game. Bring it on, hataz.

Seeing that the Fox ban is over, I think its quite likely we might see her in a future dlc pack. I too, am waiting to see this character in a MVC title.

Oh and about Anchient One.... Not before Shuma's return. I'm actually quite salty hes not back. People speak of legacy characters but never wanna mention him.

sinkfla87

Seeing that the Fox ban is over, I think its quite likely we might see her in a future dlc pack. I too, am waiting to see this character in a MVC title.

With the incredibly disappointing lack of racial/gender diversity in this game, they really got to make up for this with DLC and I hope they do. I like Shuma too, and very disappointed he's not in :(.

jett

D-Member
Capcom really should have used DMC4 Dante. I get that 3 was a huge successful comeback for the series with Dante's design and personality attributing to that, but it's time to showcase adult Dante.

DMC4 sold better than DMC3 anyway.

Uncle Dante is the best. I'm tired of Pizza Dante, and in this game they use some unholy mutant mix between Dante and Donte.

Neoxon

As it turns out, Doctor Strange's new voice is from the Avengers Assemble cartoon, much like Rocket & Thor's new VAs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Few things to note:

- Story drives base character inclusion, so if not in the story = not in base roster. This doesn't necessarily have to be the case for DLC, thus if Ant-Man isn't in the story, he could still be in the DLC, and doesn't have to be in the story to be so.

- At this point, because of Ant-Man and the zip leak's extra characters, we can't be certain about either being a base leak and the other filling in the blanks

- Just because we saw that giant MH monster and Meio doesn't mean they're both not playable, or one is and the other isn't, but... (and this is where we start making assumptions)

- The story revolves around the characters having to find the remaining 4 stones before Ultron-Sigma does. And we explicitly know the story will feature characters that will not be playable (obvious, but they probably mean ones that are not minions). Assuming both Meio and Dahran are not playable, and each of them are guarding infinity stones at Valkanda and Knowmoon respectively, that probably leaves two more locations and two more bosses for the remaining two Infinity Stones, right? But, curiously, there is only one additional kind of minion listed to accompany those bosses, which are the Symbiote Soldiers. I haven't counted Ultron Drones (or XGard) because we know from the story demo and trailers that that's way before Thanos tells them where the remaining 2 (or 4) stones are.

This is kind of where I'm wedged (I'm about to go on a tangent with story mode speculation so you've been warned) because I don't see Meio or Dahran being playable, but I do see characters that could be related to "Symbiote Soldier" or "Symbiote Huge" being playable characters. Venom, for one, but Venom might not necessarily be the boss, some Capcom character, say, like Nemesis, could have infused the symbiote sample with the T-Virus to create some powerful soldiers (and himself into "Symbiote Huge"). Or you know, it could refer to The Winter Soldier who is possessed or in control of a symbiote. I'm inclined to say it's The Winter Soldier, given that Dahren and Meio are both Capcom characters. And even though Sigma and Black Panther are not playable, who says you don't fight them either at some point (BP is definitely always up for a fight and working in his own interests, furthermore Thanos does say in the trailer that Valkanda needs it) and then both end up as DLC with complete movesets (like Winter Soldier)?

So then who is the last keeper? That is also likely from Marvel's side? We have Death and Dormammu left. I'm inclined to say it's Dormammu given that Frank Tieri worked on MvC3s story mode and they were really setting him up to be the big bad. Death holding an Infinity Stone from Thanos makes less sense, I think Death is just there to push Thanos' story forward, maybe convince him to unite with the heroes against Ultron Omega in the end. Also, Dormammu doesn't need any damn minions
but the Mindless Ones would be cool
. But seriously, go back to those MvC3 episodes, he was raining hell alone.

To recap, 4 stones, 4 main locations focused around a keeper or at least a few characters that are focused on in that leg of the story and may or may not be the heroes (i.e. Venom). Working off of Ryce's speculation, some candidates:

Knowmoon: Meio, Zero, Strider?
Valkanda: Dahren, BP, Hunter
Symbiote-related Convergence: The Winter Soldier, Venom, Spider-man, Nemesis? Chris?
???: Dormammu, Dr. Strange, Jedah?, Ghost Rider?

Anyways, this still means there isn't a hard and fast rule for who is playable or is not. Bosses could be playable or not. But most logically, stealing Intelliheath's work here and after taking stock of all that, I think as follows:

Marvel
Iron Man
Captain America
Hulk
Thor
Hawkeye
Spider-Man
Thanos
Ultron
Captain Marvel
Rocket/Groot
Gamora
Nova
Doctor Strange
Venom
Ghost Rider
Dormammu
(All three of these base because returning)

Capcom
Ryu
Chun-Li
Mega Man X
Zero
Morrigan
Jedah
Chris Redfield
Nemesis
Arthur
Firebrand
Spencer
Monster Hunter
Dante
Strider
Mike Haggar
Frank West
(Again, both base because returning)

Marvel DLC
Black Panther (Confirmed)
Ant-Man (Likely because of all-new, Ryce & altered Hawkeye super)
The Winter Solider (Likely because of zip leak, being all-new and being a soldier that could have minions)

Capcom DLC
Sigma
<Character not in story mode like Ant-Man so they can say they have 2 all-all-new characters>
We really don't have enough information to know, but I doubt it's Meio. And I would also doubt Dahren, but it's possible that Jedah or Hunter were swapped into DLC much like Ant-Man was in the inverse, and someone like Meio could make the base. Again, with the conflicting info we have, it's much easier to guestimate the Marvel side than the Capcom.

At any rate, I agree with Ryce, this has made things pretty exciting as far as what the true final roster will be because of this recent injection of uncertainty into it all.

-----

Also, has anyone tried to make sense of the 3rd picture in that zip leak yet?

BadWolf

That would have been a lot more work since DMC4 Dante has different moves and weapons.

cordy

Banned
DMC3 Dante was the best Dante. DMC4 Dante wasn't bad but 3 was just, that's peak Dante.

I think I need to replay SE because that game's a classic. Sad how they fucked up Lady.

Oh and about Anchient One.... Not before Shuma's return. I'm actually quite salty hes not back. People speak of legacy characters but never wanna mention him.

I think at this point it'll be pretty difficult for Capcom to bring back Shuma. It already took them a lot of effort to have him be DLC in MvC3 (iirc Marvel wouldn't allow him to be in the base roster), and now that Dr. Strange is in the limelight thanks to his movie, I would think the other characters related to him (Dormammu, Mordo, Clea, etc.) would be brought in long before Shuma.

Keep in mind that in the comics, Shuma is an insanely obscure character even within the Dr. Strange comics - his appearances can be counted on a hand - and when he was included in MSH, it was during a time in which Marvel didn't give much of a shit about which of their characters got used in games. Now they do.

Also note that Shuma-Gorath's portrayal in the Capcom games always was whimsical and cartoony. That's pretty much exactly the anti-thesis to what Shuma actually is in the books, where he is basically a Lovecraftian eldritch godlike being that wants to invade and destroy our universe, and one of those interdimensional threats that loom over our world that Strange is fending off on a daily basis. Especially now that Marvel is really conscious about how their characters are portrayed, I don't expect Shuma to come back based on that ground, as well.

And:
Shuma is about as much of a legacy character as Silver Samurai or Blackheart. Those characters also don't get mentioned very often because they simply do not have the exposure in comics and other media like cartoons/movies to popularize them.

Ryce

For all the shit some of these models are getting, I just want to say how much I appreciate Doctor Strange’s resemblance to Vincent Price.

EvkpnYU.png

Top Bottom