• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We create "magazine ads" for the hell of it. Now: Two Out Rally

AniHawk

start a new thread, and first project is Wonderful 101

i have to really think about the rules for such a thing first, and then i have to actually get something going. that's a problem because my laptop is dead and all i have right now to access the internets is the ps3 and 3ds. if anything does happen, it'll be early august. of course, that would make it in time for w101.

something i noticed was that people were posting ads less and posters more. ads require a lot more than even i had expected back in 2009. i think moving forward we could do something like 'we create video game marketing for the hell of it' and people can pick and choose if they want to make posters, box arts, limited edition sets, what have you. it would be a bunch of different things and ideas spawning from one video game and competing against each other.

the two day turnaround time, in retrospect, was insane. when i was in school, that was pretty much how assignments work, but there's generally a couple weeks to finalize everything in the real world. i think taking it 2 weeks at a time could help foster discussion before everything is properly submitted. then we could take a couple days to vote, and start the next thing. so all in all, it would run about 2.5 weeks at a time. i just have to research the old photo contest threads first. i would also like to include real-world prizes somehow.

i have to really think about the rules for such a thing first, and then i have to actually get something going. that's a problem because my laptop is dead and all i have right now to access the internets is the ps3 and 3ds. if anything does happen, it'll be early august. of course, that would make it in time for w101.

something i noticed was that people were posting ads less and posters more. ads require a lot more than even i had expected back in 2009. i think moving forward we could do something like 'we create video game marketing for the hell of it' and people can pick and choose if they want to make posters, box arts, limited edition sets, what have you. it would be a bunch of different things and ideas spawning from one video game and competing against each other.

the two day turnaround time, in retrospect, was insane. when i was in school, that was pretty much how assignments work, but there's generally a couple weeks to finalize everything in the real world. i think taking it 2 weeks at a time could help foster discussion before everything is properly submitted. then we could take a couple days to vote, and start the next thing. so all in all, it would run about 2.5 weeks at a time. i just have to research the old photo contest threads first. i would also like to include real-world prizes somehow.

I think these are all good ideas. The 2 day limit was definitely daunting, and I'm sure prevented people from participating... even if they had a good idea, it might have come at a bad time to do in that 2 day period. 2 weeks might be good, though there's something to be said also for giving too much time and having the thread die in the meantime. But as a gut reaction 2 weeks seems like a fairly good timeline, and probably matches the release schedule decently well.

As far as competing, I think that's a good idea, though I wonder how the different formats will play into it. Maybe having posters, box arts, magazine covers, etc. all in one thing won't be a problem, or maybe one type of format will dominate competitions and then it could become a de facto single-format competition. I don't know. I do like the idea of the real-world prizes though, and with the longer time format I'm sure there would be GAFfers willing to pitch in for prizes and things.

Top Bottom