• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

I jumped in and played a few matches last night after not playing for a few months. I swear the graphics looked better, I felt like I was going crazy.

Today while playing I could have sworn the motion looks nicer than I remember.

Is there any reason to play the torque bow list (rewards/bounties/etc)?

Chief Devin

I have about 3,000 scrap saved up and nothing to spend it on because their release schedule is so slow or all the skins suck. I have all i want now and if I decided to scrap some of the ones I really don't use i'd have maybe 5,000. All the dumb zombie skins that announce your position every 2 seconds or the dumb ugly weapons skins are insta scrap.

I have about 3,000 scrap saved up and nothing to spend it on because their release schedule is so slow or all the skins suck. I have all i want now and if I decided to scrap some of the ones I really don't use i'd have maybe 5,000. All the dumb zombie skins that announce your position every 2 seconds or the dumb ugly weapons skins are insta scrap.

This is by far the worst part about those skins. They aren't eye bleach like the color blast skins, but the constant "brraiiiinnssss" is so unnecessary.

Dosia

What is the best way to level up in this game? Horde? I see people who have already re-uped like 10 times and I am still at no re-up lvl 67. I really only played dodgeball ranked twice a week which I am sure is my problem.

What is the best way to level up in this game? Horde? I see people who have already re-uped like 10 times and I am still at no re-up lvl 67. I really only played dodgeball ranked twice a week which I am sure is my problem.

More about just playing consistently and completing bounties. Bounties are pretty much going to be the primary source of XP. Horde is great for that too if you can consistently do 1-50 with bounties.

Dosia

More about just playing consistently and completing bounties. Bounties are pretty much going to be the primary source of XP. Horde is great for that too if you can consistently do 1-50 with bounties.

Thx. Yeah I noticed I had quite a few bounties with +30k +50k etc xp bonuses. How long does it take to beat 50 waves of hoard on normal? 3 hrs?

Ballistik

Still severe lag. Game is near Unplayable for me.

Zero issues since launch. Where exactly are you, you must not have a lot of players in your area.

I played all weekend, mostly on the developer playlist and nearly did a whole re-up with the XP boost. I'm close to re-up 5.

malfcn

Zero issues since launch. Where exactly are you, you must not have a lot of players in your area.

I played all weekend, mostly on the developer playlist and nearly did a whole re-up with the XP boost. I'm close to re-up 5.

Ohio.

I don't know if it's the dashboard preview or last update, but I never had this kind of issue before.

Tomash

WaldoRtk7 posted this weapon damage chart at reddit, it has stats for Lancer, Retro, Markza, Hammer, Pistol
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17IhOZkBzIKd25O_R4HicoPorTZ3R8w2-WSQv97B_3uc/edit#gid=0

Damage difference between upper torso shots and lower torso shots is egregious.

Core Lancer, shots to down
8 headshots
12 upper torso
15 lower torso

Competitive Lancer has inverse damage drop-off
10 headshots, 9 at range
14 upper torso
19 lower torso, 18 at range

xrnzaaas

I finally finished the campaign in Gears 4. Man it was really uneven. The first act of the game is probably the worst one in the entire franchise. Not only it's dull (yay who wants to fight robots in a Gears game) but you're also immediately introduced to a brand new team and that makes it much harder to like them (despite that I must make a note that I ended up liking JD and Kait, Del - nope, gtfo). I really struggled with this act and if I wasn't interested in Gears storyline I may have ended up selling the game and forgeting about it.
Thankfully things pick up later on and acts 2-4 are enjoyable for most part. I liked the new enemies, the windflare fights (never got sick of them :)) and the heavily scripted action scenes. They not only looked great, but they were also fun to play even though you had limited controls over the character. I didn't like the forced Horde mode stand-offs in each act. Reminded me of the crappy Gears Judgment levels and they should make only 1, 2 levels max like that in the story mode.
Act 5 was for most part a return to being crap. It felt rushed and the final boss was imo second to worst in the entire series (only the one in Gears 2 was worse). I died many times in the game when I was playing on the Hardcore setting, but in the final boss battle I failed only once because I got lazy.
Overall the story campaign wasn't that good. I'd give it a 6/10. Also doesn't help that the story in Gears 4 ends without a bang. It feels like there's another act missing or like they expect you to wait for Gears 5.

The inventory management really needs some TLC here. They really should add a "scrap all duplicates" option in addition to an option to scrap items from the open crate screen.

jaybe00

Neo Member
^agreed. Let me buy multiples easily rather than keep purchasing one at a time as well as sell all of a card vs first the duplicate then the single card.

Lol. Got dominated 7-0 in escalation. Worst team ever.

I love the concept and round-to-round gameplay of escalation, but 7 rounds to win is way too much. I'd prefer if it was 4 or 5 to win I think.

I'm still having a hard time going between core and competitive balancing though.

Lfg has drastically changed the appeal of horde for me.

Me and a friend can actually gather people together for a 1-50 insane run easily now.

Some enemy variety
Locust
would be amazing. Seriously hoping for some horde updates and not just cards and maps

sn00zer

Probably not the thread for this, but can I buy physical versions of X1 games that have PC versions and play the PC version if I do not have an X1?

Dosia

I love the concept and round-to-round gameplay of escalation, but 7 rounds to win is way too much. I'd prefer if it was 4 or 5 to win I think.

I'm still having a hard time going between core and competitive balancing though.

I agree. I think 5 would be better.

Dosia

Lfg has drastically changed the appeal of horde for me.

Me and a friend can actually gather people together for a 1-50 insane run easily now.

Some enemy variety
Locust
would be amazing. Seriously hoping for some horde updates and not just cards and maps

Lfg has been a bust for me so far. I hardly ever play horde so no1 ever wants me in their group since I am not maxed out. 90% of the games seem to be insane. It would be nice to do a few runs on normal to level up my classes first.

jaybe00

Neo Member
Lfg has been a bust for me so far. I hardly ever play horde so no1 ever wants me in their group since I am not maxed out. 90% of the games seem to be insane. It would be nice to do a few runs on normal to level up my classes first.

What's your tag? I'll add you.

I use the COG skin all the time. Thought about trying to go for the corpse. Worth it? It looks cool, but is it easy to tell difference between it and regular cog during matches?
Oh it's worth it, but at this point might as well wait till we hear more details on the Locusts being added. Don't want to use all that scrap if you'll need it for a Locust character you want.

Trying to build my scrap back up in preparation lol. I spent the 2400 for the Gear Corpse with no regrets ;]

J-Roderton

Oh it's worth it, but at this point might as well wait till we hear more details on the Locusts being added. Don't want to use all that scrap if you'll need it for a Locust character you want.

Trying to build my scrap back up in preparation lol. I spent the 2400 for the Gear Corpse with no regrets ;]

For real. Haven't bought a pack in a couple weeks now. Sitting on around 10k credits all in hopes that some dope locusts become available.

If not, I'll most likely be adding cog corpse to the collection.

https://twitter.com/PezRadar/status/834176457387569152

Pretty big Gnasher change coming in the next TU to address point blank inconsistencies. Will have more info after testing is complete.

I don't know why it has taken so long but praise the lord, hopefully it actually works. In the replies he also says it's something that's been present in previous games as well. Maybe TC has finally found the magic cure for Gnasher inconsistency? I'm not holding my breath but it'd be nice.

https://twitter.com/PezRadar/status/834176457387569152

I don't know why it has taken so long but praise the lord, hopefully it actually works. In the replies he also says it's something that's been present in previous games as well. Maybe TC has finally found the magic cure for Gnasher inconsistency? I'm not holding my breath but it'd be nice.
I don't get that many point blanks not working.

When I'm lagging I do. Its all connection and it always has been. Wont stop their forums being an absolute juvenile shit show.

Get a better connection.

J-Roderton

Yeah I'm trying to max heavy this weekend. If you're going to be playing you may as well register in that thread. Just one click and it tracks your completed waves to unlock those skins. Hopefully they can be scrapped.

pitchfork

Yeah I'm trying to max heavy this weekend. If you're going to be playing you may as well register in that thread. Just one click and it tracks your completed waves to unlock those skins. Hopefully they can be scrapped.

Yeah I signed up this morning

I kinda like the skins ; )

BenjiGAF

Hopefully this leads to fewer people bailing before wave 20. Just completed Horde for the 1st time last night and it was super cool. Shredding a Swarmak with a mounted turret is a good feeling

J-Roderton

Hopefully this leads to fewer people bailing before wave 20. Just completed Horde for the 1st time last night and it was super cool. Shredding a Swarmak with a mounted turret is a good feeling

Yeah it's a good feeling to wrap up 50 waves, but, damn if it doesn't take forever.

Managed to go 1-50 on feral horde. Our engineer just built a ton of sentries behind barricades and they melted everything. They were probably getting 90% of the kills.

BenjiGAF

Holy smokes, nobody seems to have any expectations of you if you play Sniper. All the other classes have real-ass roles to play.

Sniper? Just hang back and occasionally shoot a guy, if it's not too much trouble. I love it.

J-Roderton

Holy smokes, nobody seems to have any expectations of you if you play Sniper. All the other classes have real-ass roles to play.

Sniper? Just hang back and occasionally shoot a guy, if it's not too much trouble. I love it.

I love playing sniper. Just target scions and hop on a turret if shit gets too dicey.

pitchfork

Lotta fun for Soldier class with + 5 grenade plant + 4 Grenade carry +100% grenade damage

Frag drops are constant with the explosive trackers and swarm soldiers attacking every round

Top Bottom