• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, a Uni friend who went to the Fanfest got me a High Allagan USB thingy as a gift.

Also mentioned something about Sephiroth at the Primal Concert...

iammeiam

I feel bad for asking this, but... is there any decent way to get gil that doesn't involve crafting? (outside of POTD)

A lot of it is going to be server economy specific, since the value of stuff can vary pretty heavily from server to server. Finding a buddy or two and spam maps/Aquapolis is usually decent money; the more people you bring the further the loot gets spread out, so the smallest group you can get by with is going to be the most personally profitable, and there's RNG that means any given map may end up not paying back what it cost to buy, but in general between HQ crafting mats, the Aquapolis-specific materials (Wool Top, Flannel), some of the housing items, materia, and some rare orchestrion rolls you'll end up ahead to a decent degree if you do enough.

Likewise if you can grab a couple friends and run old Coil floors, some of the drops can be worthwhile. The leg stones from T11 and the T13 chests (requires a friend to craft for max ROI, but the chest stones sell too) are still pretty valuable and frequent sellers where I am, and the music from T12 goes for a decent chunk. Turn in the actual loot drops for GC seals, spend the GC seals buying mats to sell on the MB.

Also if you have LTW at like level 30 you can unlock leatherworker Desynth, run to Ul'dah, and blow up shoes for Fieldcraft Demimateria 3s. If your server's going rate is over 40k you should make money overall (~300k in shoes should average 10 FC3s, so selling at 40k is a modest profit after market tax, going up as you sell for higher.)

If you can send your squadron guys out for blue scrips, you can make OK money for no investment flipping the scrip crafting mats, too.

A lot of it depends on how much gil you're trying to make when you talk about making gil; if you're looking to gil cap you're going to have to do a lot of playing the market board and controlling crafting markets to get there. The above if you're semi-diligent about it should be enough to build a comfortable gil buffer before SB hits (well over medium house price, not enough for large, most likely), though.

Jarring perhaps, particularly when Ilberd all of a sudden sounds like he's from a former mining town in Yorkshire compared to what he sounded like before, but over time I quickly got used to the new voice actors. Except Urianger, because no one can replace Gideon Emery, even though he had barely anything to work with throughout 2.x.

And thank heavens for the new voice actors. I still distinctly remember how atrocious the majority of the voice acting was in ARR, with Papalymo's in particular still ringing in my head next to the sound of monotone script reading from characters like Kan-e-Senna.

Edzi

So what's a good class to pick? I am downloading the game now and fairly new to it. I played the game before but still trying to get my bearings.

People told me to go DPS for the easiest route, and so far it's been pretty fun. I started with Lancer and made it to Dragoon, and all you ever need to worry about are pressing buttons to deal damage which was perfect for someone like me who had never played an MMO before.

I really wanted to make a hilda character lookalike. Y'know half hyur and Elezen. I love my character but... meh I wish I could really do that. It sucks there are no plans for customization D:

People told me to go DPS for the easiest route, and so far it's been pretty fun. I started with Lancer and made it to Dragoon, and all you ever need to worry about are pressing buttons to deal damage which was perfect for someone like me who had never played an MMO before.

Thanks, that's what I initially picked when I had a free trial and it seemed to mesh well with me. I'll probably make that one.

iammeiam

Thanks.

In order to do maps you need a gathering prof at 40 right? Time to start grinding.

Not to do maps; to go gather your own (limited to 1 gathered per 18 hours) you need a 40 gatherer, but the good maps start in 60 nodes.

But you can skip the gathering part by just buying Timeworn maps on the market board; actually doing maps requires doing this quest to unlock Decipher/Dig. You can decipher and do as many maps in a day as you want if you're buying them off the MB.

The Aquapolis pops from Dragonskin maps, so those are the only ones you'd want to buy, and Heavenswhere has an extremely helpful map location feature. While a geared character can potentially solo Dragonskin maps, the Aquapolis portion enforces iLevel sync so it's dangerous to go alone and you'll want probably at least a tank and a healer.

Picked up a Logitech MK520 today and I'll report back on results later this evening. Hoping it meshes well with me.

I'll keep tinkering around with setups until I find the right one. Controller was great but I felt overwhelmed from a targeting standpoint, especially when healing. The G600 mouse on my PC is straight money, but I really want to make this work on my PS4 for various reasons. If that sucker was wireless, it would be settled.

I might need to hunt down a wireless MMO mouse to go with the new keyboard and call it a day.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
I have just completed my two very first raids. All I remember from them are explosions everywhere, a chamillion health bars on the screen, racing while ignoring 90% of the map, and me spamming Overpower on everything except bosses. Oh and getting lost in Praetorium around the Magitek armor area and losing my party. What a clusterfuck lol.

Oh well, 2.0 MSQ is now completed!

CLBridges

I keep trying to spend time with other jobs, but always come back to Bard lol. After fully adjusting to Wanderer's Minuet I love how easy it is to play, especially as a controller user. Maybe Sam or Red Mage will pull me away, who knows. Astro is refreshing to play too but I'm saving leveling that class for 4.0 :)

B.K.

Oh and getting lost in Praetorium around the Magitek armor area and losing my party. What a clusterfuck lol.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that did that. I feel a bit better now. The game said to mount a magitek armor, but it wouldn't let me. I stood there for so long clicking on the armor with nothing happening that I completely missed the
Nero
and
Gaius
boss fights.

Went from level 35-39 today, doing everything from the post-Titan
burying Scions
to Coerthas where I'm THIS CLOSE to
getting to the airship.
Sucks that finally the story is getting good and now I can only crawl to progress.

wamberz1

Not to do maps; to go gather your own (limited to 1 gathered per 18 hours) you need a 40 gatherer, but the good maps start in 60 nodes.

But you can skip the gathering part by just buying Timeworn maps on the market board; actually doing maps requires doing this quest to unlock Decipher/Dig. You can decipher and do as many maps in a day as you want if you're buying them off the MB.

The Aquapolis pops from Dragonskin maps, so those are the only ones you'd want to buy, and Heavenswhere has an extremely helpful map location feature. While a geared character can potentially solo Dragonskin maps, the Aquapolis portion enforces iLevel sync so it's dangerous to go alone and you'll want probably at least a tank and a healer.
Thanks!

I'm gonna start on the treasure map stuff then, but I don't know if I would be able to find people to hunt with. Ever since cross-server PF world PF has been kind of dead. I might try lower level maps for now, to get a hang of it.

I got it working. I saw this on reddit, just in case the google DNS doesn't seem to work for anyone else.

Old thread, but I hope this helps someone in the future...I changed my PC's DNS to point to Level 3's DNS servers "4.2.2.2" instead of Google's 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4. Then it worked!
Level 3 doesn't want non Level 3 customers using their DNS servers as Google has the established 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. The "don't use 4.2.2.2 might just be an IT urban legend though". So I switched back to Google DNS after the patch downloaded.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/4j7vaj/resolved_unable_to_download_patch_files/

Pachimari

burying Scions
getting to the airship.
Sucks that finally the story is getting good and now I can only crawl to progress.
Yeah I feel like I need to grind potd to level up in order to continue the story quests more often now. I think I only got to lvl 37 today though.

Vic_Viper

What is the best/fastest way to get MGP now in Gold Causer? I have yet to actually check it out aside from the first quest tour. Is the Gold Causer still pretty popular?

Want that Atamantoise and Fenrir mounts!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So what's a good class to pick? I am downloading the game now and fairly new to it. I played the game before but still trying to get my bearings.
Best thing about this game is you're not locked into 1 class per character. Once you reach lv 10 with your starter class you're free to switch to any other class you've unlocked.

DRG is about as simple as it gets.

Until like level 30 your skill rotation is literally Heavy Thrust > Spam Impulse Drive until Heavy Thrust comes down.

Level 50 rotation is also very simple, although it gets a little trickier once you get blood of the dragoon and its related abilities in HW.

Squishy3

burying Scions
getting to the airship.

Yeah I feel like I need to grind potd to level up in order to continue the story quests more often now. I think I only got to lvl 37 today though.
Doing your leveling roulette is usually always worth 3/4 of a level too, so if you do that while you're doing sidequests or whatever too you'll typically end up ahead on levels.

Doing your leveling roulette is usually always worth 3/4 of a level too, so if you do that while you're doing sidequests or whatever too you'll typically end up ahead on levels.
Yeah, I've been completely neglecting my roulettes because I always get the newest, most difficult one it seems and the pressure of healing makes me wanna stay away, haha.
Did it all today though. I'm bound and determined to try and finish Heavensward before SB.

Rynam

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that did that. I feel a bit better now. The game said to mount a magitek armor, but it wouldn't let me. I stood there for so long clicking on the armor with nothing happening that I completely missed the
Nero
and
Gaius
boss fights.

There's a Console you need to click right before the elevator.

aceface

What is the best/fastest way to get MGP now in Gold Causer? I have yet to actually check it out aside from the first quest tour. Is the Gold Causer still pretty popular?

Want that Atamantoise and Fenrir mounts!

Do mini cactpot every day. Winning a couple of verminion matches can net you decent chunks of mgp during tournaments. I guess you can get a lot of mgp from chocobo racing too but I never did it.

Meowster

We finally managed to beat Odin. I think this really was dependent on party because I had two terrible parties the last two times I tried and this one we beat him on our second try. Down to the wire, yes, with possibly less than a second remaining but we did it.

Odin seemed pretty straightforward the one time I actually ran him synced. Just dodge aoes and kill everything.

Now the Odin FATE on the other hand, that was a laggy clusterfuck of ridiculous proportions. Oh well, got the 5 mantles for the Barding so I never have to do it again.

Speaking of which, does the Behemoth FATE still happen? I have yet to see a group in PF for it.

We finally managed to beat Odin. I think this really was dependent on party because I had two terrible parties the last two times I tried and this one we beat him on our second try. Down to the wire, yes, with possibly less than a second remaining but we did it.

It's hard when people don't kill the spears and healers don't take care of the bleeding. Then there's the end where you have to finish him before he does Shin Zantetsuken.

Edzi

Just had a fun little moment online. I'm trying to level up a new class to get back into the groove of the game, and I bit off a bit more than I could chew while tackling some of the lvl 10-20 hunting missions. As I'm sprinting away from a mob of enemies chasing me with my health in the single digits, some kind soul passing by shoots me a heal out of nowhere and continues on his merry way. Those are the kinds of little interactions I hope I see more of as I play.

Meowster

It's hard when people don't kill the spears and healers don't take care of the bleeding. Then there's the end where you have to finish him before he does Shin Zantetsuken.
Yeah. I always managed to survive his attacks as the tank but everyone else usually would go boom and then rage quit. Speaking of which, I just did Sohm Al and the healer voted to kick a party member for using a limit break. I was shocked. Yeesh.

duckroll

Just wanna point out since afaik you're in Singapore, most of SEA and oceania players are in tonberry server, which is in the Japanese data centre

Considering how I actually asked in here about latency and stuff before I picked a server, yeah, I think I know!

Yeah. I always managed to survive his attacks as the tank but everyone else usually would go boom and then rage quit. Speaking of which, I just did Sohm Al and the healer voted to kick a party member for using a limit break. I was shocked. Yeesh.

Stuff like that doesn't happen often in my experience. People will be slightly pissed if you waste the Limit Break but kicking is overdoing it a bit.

Melee Limit Break is good against single target (bosses pretty much).

Ranged/Caster Limit Break is good if you've pulled multiple groups together so they can be burned down quickly.

Tank Limit Break is really situational. You normally don't use it in dungeons, just in a few select trials.

Foxxsoxx

So I played for a few weeks about a year back on PS4.

I buy Havensward on the sale and try to get back in.

It has my username set in already and I can't change it to anything else. I can't remember the password, I've tried 30 different combinations of the ones I usually use.

Literally can't play the game because my email somehow isn't linked to it. Can't change my Square Enix ID, can't do shit.

Frustrating as hell, this email/password system is awful and I remember having very similar problems the first time I tried playing, and I rarely have password issues.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So I played for a few weeks about a year back on PS4.

I buy Havensward on the sale and try to get back in.

It has my username set in already and I can't change it to anything else. I can't remember the password, I've tried 30 different combinations of the ones I usually use.

Literally can't play the game because my email somehow isn't linked to it. Can't change my Square Enix ID, can't do shit.

Frustrating as hell, this email/password system is awful and I remember having very similar problems the first time I tried playing, and I rarely have password issues.

Might be a case of the PS4 software keyboard capitalizing the "C" in ".Com" and you entering it as ".com" when trying to reset it.

[PlayStation®4] A notice to PlayStation®4 users needing their Square Enix Account Password

The ID (or email address) field in the Square Enix Account Management system is case sensitive. It's possible during registration, the virtual keyboard auto-capitalized a word after a period. For example, your email might have been registered as "Yourname@email.Com" or "yourname@email.Com" (with the "Y" or "C" capitalized). Please try entering your email address in these formats if it is not being accepted.

http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=5382&la=1&kid=70337&ret=main

If you haven't done so and actually did link the game to your email address, check to see if you have archived mail from them and use the capitalization they used to send you the letter.

Foxxsoxx

Might be a case of the PS4 software keyboard capitalizing the "C" in ".Com" and you entering it as ".com" when trying to reset it.

If you haven't done so and actually did link the game to your email address, check to see if you have archived mail from them and use the capitalization they used to send you the letter.

That's not it unfortunately, it isn't even an email set in for the ID.

I'm almost certain passwords have to contain at least one letter, number, and symbol right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom