• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Unlock the books and wait till the next patch before committing to red scrips for gear or buying mats for gear. Khloes sister is supposed to be added soon and has something to do with crafting, might be an easy way to get catch-up gear before expansion.

PGMAo0E.jpg

Oooh, I forgot about this. Thank you!

In Stormblood I want class exclusive gear. I'm getting tired of overwriting glams just cause everything is shared and there is no point of wearing 10 i level lower gear unless you overmeld. So please... more class exclusive gear and if relic gear is a thing I hope the designs are really good.

Moaradin

Class exclusive gear is cool and all but they need to solve the inventory space problem first. So much of my retainer space a filled with the i90 AF gear.

I find it funny how people dismiss the Sam Raimi theory for being "obsecure"

Is it really when Yoshi has said that he was a fan of Christopher Nolan twice for his batman movies?

Yoshi loves pulling out the " I would love to talk about it but how but the PR team would kill me! Hahaha!" card, but he had no problem dodging the samurai question to bring up his opinion on blue mage and future pet jobs during day 2 of Tokyo Fanfest.

When are people going to realize that they were trolled by Koji Fox two years ago during the anniversary event? I don't think that blue mage "hint" was in the JP client.

iammeiam

Job-specific capped tome gear is terrible at the start of a content cycle--it's pretty stifling and since they don't guarantee that the job-specific gear actually has BiS stats for the job, increases the amount of why-does-this-exist gear. I'd honestly rather they moved towards unifying the melee left side (or going wacky and doing STR melee/Dex melee and making RDM dex, although that'd be annoying for the right side drops in raid) over splitting it apart for glamour.

I'll cope with maintaining glamour across jobs if it means I can be flexible about what I do content on while feeling out how jobs are actually going to work at 70.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Job-specific capped tome gear is terrible at the start of a content cycle--it's pretty stifling and since they don't guarantee that the job-specific gear actually has BiS stats for the job, increases the amount of why-does-this-exist gear. I'd honestly rather they moved towards unifying the melee left side (or going wacky and doing STR melee/Dex melee and making RDM dex, although that'd be annoying for the right side drops in raid) over splitting it apart for glamour.

I'll cope with maintaining glamour across jobs if it means I can be flexible about what I do content on while feeling out how jobs are actually going to work at 70.
Agreed, I'd much rather farm tomes once for multiple classes, than have to do it for (for example) my SMN and BLM. Non-raid endgame isn't nearly interesting enough in the long run to have even more repetition in it in my opinion.

Edzi

Have any of you dealt with changing the email on your Square account? I realized I had a second account that has my primary email address, while the only I used for the FFXIV trial last year was using my college email. I'd like to use my main email on the account with FFXIV since I'm thinking about starting the game, but I tried going through the email changing process 2 days ago and have yet to receive an email.

ebil

Yeah, I'm dreading the announcement of lv70 AF being tome gear once again. Another reason early Gordias was horrible is because of having no flexibility whatsoever because of AF existing (well, that and having to abandon all hopes that AST would at least scale well).

As an aside, they'll also have to do something about loot table inflation at some point. Specifically, weapons. If Primals and raids don't start dropping 2 weapons per kill it's going to be very frustrating for groups like mine that only get useless weapons week after week.

They could give out the job gear in job quests again.

Then you can just glamour it onto the tome gear if you want.

I always liked how in ARR you got some job iconic gear just for completing the job quest storyline. Felt like a good reward.

I don't like having to farm for it and as people mentioned it makes it more difficult to gear up jobs because every job has its own set. Which would be solved by once again putting the job gear as a reward for completing job quest storyline then have unified gear as the tome gear you grind for.

Kenai

On the other hand, this means you believe there will be three new classes when we aren't sure that'll be the case. If there are three classes, it's highly likely that they'll add all three roles, you're right.

I believe that will be three new classes because that's what the game will need to function properly at Stormblood launch as things stand now. I already explained why in great detail, but I cannot seem to reiterate enough just how horrible the DF, integral to the game-play experience of every single player past level 15, would be detrimentally affected without a proper new trifecta on release. It would be absolutely awful. This is a problem SE built themselves, but it's there. One selectable healer before level 30 and one of the current 3 locked behind HW make this rule all but absolute for healers, and the constant desperation of tanks and bonuses pale in comparison to a shiny new tank class to show off and drag as many people through content as possible before the honeymoon's over.

RDM being confirmed as DPS and not a healer or some weird evasion tank was all I needed to know that SAM was gonna be stuck tanking and whatever 3rd job they get would be healing. I honestly don't think SE is dumb enough to do otherwise, and not doing so would be really really really dumb. I will totally eat crow if I am proven wrong, but if I am wrong things are gonna be real rough for all the DPS out there. Real, real rough.

I believe that will be three new classes because that's what the game will need to function properly at Stormblood launch as things stand now. I already explained why in great detail, but I cannot seem to reiterate enough just how horrible the DF, integral to the experience of every single player past level 15, would be detrimentally affected without a proper trifecta choice for each role on release. It would be absolutely awful.

RDM being confirmed as DPS and not a healer was all I needed to know that SAM was gonna be stuck tanking and whatever 3rd job they get would be healing. I honestly don't think SE is dumb enough to do otherwise, unless they are putting in work changing the fundamental structure of the game with something like class specs a la WoW, which isn't something I'd be betting on anytime soon over the afformentioned.

I remember when the queues got shat on when Rogue/Ninja was released.

A whole new expansion is going to get a much bigger audience then a content patch. If they're putting in 3 DPS jobs for Stormblood then DPS only players should say goodbye to their queues because they'll only be doing PvP and PotD for a long time.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

A whole new expansion is going to get a much bigger audience then a content patch. If they're putting in 3 DPS jobs for Stormblood then DPS only players should say goodbye to their queues because they'll only be doing PvP and PotD for a long time.
I remember when ARR was released and there were mostly ARC running around. Good times. DF servers were borked anyway, I remember not being able to get into Ifrit, ha ha.

Well I mean people could go back to FATE grinding, the majority of ROG/NIN made it to 50 that way. The FATE parties with 8 NIN in Coerthas were pretty funny.

I went into an ex roulette.... kay no problem I'm tanking Sohm Al hard mode. Easy dungeon right? Everything is fine until the last boss when I'm not getting healed by the whm. I died 3 times or even 4 I think and the healer never even had the decency to stoneskin me or protect me during the tank busters. Yep, I had aggro and was out of grit. I mitigated each tank buster as best as I could and the last one killed me even when I timed LD. No idea what the healer was doing but they were in cleric a lot for the fight when I should have been getting healed. Those scorpion stings HURT and especially on a drk I was getting one shot like every time with weakness cause the healer did not care. It was 66 mins left of the dungeon... I just abandoned the group and I'm not even mad about it. That healer was an absolute joke and there was no way I was going through that again. I have extreme patience as a tank but if you don't do your job then just get out of here, please. Embarassed to say.... probably my first ever wipe on that boss D:

Kenai

Well I mean people could go back to FATE grinding, the majority of ROG/NIN made it to 50 that way. The FATE parties with 8 NIN in Coerthas were pretty funny.

FATEs are fine if all you are doing is leveling, but story and a lot of features are still locked behind dungeons for a lot of people in the game right now, and will be for everyone come Stormblood..Remember in the base game alone how many things are locked behind progressing the MSQ via dungeons? Everything from chocobo riding to primals to endgame dungeons and raids, not to mention stuff in HW like flying. Stormblood will probably have swimming and flying there locked behind the MSQ too.

It's gonna be expansion launch with a lot of new/returning players and current people wanting to max their level. Imagine trying this game out and enjoying yourself and then queueing into your very first DF and it being 90+ min at expansion launch. Or returning to the game and the same problem but at level 61 cause everyone and their mother is RDM or a DPS-SAM. And I'm being generous, it could easily be longer, or you could get d/ced (super common to have server problems at an expansion launch) and bam, you gotta start you 90+min queue again There'd be hell to pay (rightfully so) for doing something so stupid. I seriously don't think they'd do it. It's all too easy to see exactly what would happen.

This game NEEDS new tank and healing classes every time there are new DPS to help offset the influx, especially a super popular class like RDM. That's simply how the game is structured and they haven't given any indication that is going to change that structure anytime soon. Iirc the devs said they weren't gonna make a class mid expac again after seeing what happened with Rogue and DF. Maybe in the future when they have 5 or 6 healer/tank specs and maybe start running out of new classes they might be able to get away with it, but not now..

iammeiam

I'm just going to hope for the version of things where they don't release another new healer class given that they threw their hands up and made the last healer they added a DPS boost that can also heal between Balances for the final tier because balancing is hard.

The SB jobs start at 50. 50-60 is carried via PotD for people spam leveling; they've got queue prioritization in for first-timers that will carry them through the MSQ dungeons (and FWIW I leveled a DPS job in Legion and it was fine unless you were trying to grind Normal, because queuable Heroics and terrible dungeon EXP meant nobody spamming Normal in general. The initial clear of normal was sub five minute queues though.) 60+ will have all the old jobs leveling. DPS queues were pretty bad in early Heavensward regardless, because the new tank and the new healer didn't immediately increase the tanking/healing population--it just got the existing people leveling alt jobs. And tank queues for everything outside of 24-mans are still generally faster than healer queues.

The trend of delivering less content over time and their admitted need to rework AST on a fundamental level makes me lean towards two jobs over three; but they could announce Dancer as healer and I wouldn't be shocked. To pretend the ONLY SANE CHOICE is a new healer is going a bit far given that PotD seems in part designed specifically to account for a grind option that doesn't require standard party comp.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
When are people going to realize that they were trolled by Koji Fox two years ago during the anniversary event? I don't think that blue mage "hint" was in the JP client.
It was not. Pretty much all dev baloons were completely rewritten. There wasn't a Doomtrain mention either. But you know.

I'm just going to hope for the version of things where they don't release another new healer class given that they threw their hands up and made the last healer they added a DPS boost that can also heal between Balances for the final tier because balancing is hard.

The SB jobs start at 50. 50-60 is carried via PotD for people spam leveling; they've got queue prioritization in for first-timers that will carry them through the MSQ dungeons (and FWIW I leveled a DPS job in Legion and it was fine unless you were trying to grind Normal, because queuable Heroics and terrible dungeon EXP meant nobody spamming Normal in general. The initial clear of normal was sub five minute queues though.) 60+ will have all the old jobs leveling. DPS queues were pretty bad in early Heavensward regardless, because the new tank and the new healer didn't immediately increase the tanking/healing population--it just got the existing people leveling alt jobs. And tank queues for everything outside of 24-mans are still generally faster than healer queues.

The trend of delivering less content over time and their admitted need to rework AST on a fundamental level makes me lean towards two jobs over three; but they could announce Dancer as healer and I wouldn't be shocked. To pretend the ONLY SANE CHOICE is a new healer is going a bit far given that PotD seems in part designed specifically to account for a grind option that doesn't require standard party comp.
This, not to mention many older jobs are getting reworked to different degrees, so it would make sense for them to focus their efforts there instead of trying to add yet another healer. Everyone will be trying out new shit, whether its one of the new jobs or leveling older stuff to check out their new toys.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hybrid RDM you heard it here first.

DPS Stance and Healer stance.

It's a brave new world.

Class restricted gear in savage would be amazing. I wouldn't mind if tome gear was for each role they are associated with but my main problem is that there isn't enough unique gear in FFXIV atm.

iammeiam

Class restricted gear in savage would be amazing. I wouldn't mind if tome gear was for each role they are associated with but my main problem is that there isn't enough unique gear in FFXIV atm.

And I'd counter that the problem is there is entirely too much class-restricted gear from a glamour perspective in FFXIV at the moment. It's asinine that I can't use an Orthodox Hairpin in my glamour if I want to play anything other than a tank or a dragoon. It's silly that a game that so enthusiastically embraces the player's right to raid in a bikini or their underwear, I can't use Amon's Hat on a healer.

We're heading at the pace of one AF set per expansion, and if they want to make the initial uncapped tome set the job-specific set and restrict it for glamour, more power to them. If they want to make AF3 a relic-like quest that ends in a user-customizable armor set with an exclusive look after a few years of hard grinding, cool.

But anything with a cap that's intended to be used for progression should be flexible, and job-specific Savage gear is only a good idea if you want to have essentially a 50% chance of every chest that drops being useless. We have 13 jobs in the game right now; SB will land us somewhere around 15 or 16. In a raid group of eight people--who are, in this scenario, more locked in to a single job than ever because all the gear they're paging out would be job-locked--that means 7 or 8 entries in the loot pool that are the same as getting no chest at all.

They want to introduce job-specific dungeon sets, I'll roll my eyes and shrug. But introducing it in Savage would mean an average of one chest per clear that is Basically Garbage.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Job-locked gear is a garbage idea in a game that technically prides itself on letting you play everything on one character. What's even the point of that. It's the same stats every tank wants, but I can't wear that piece because it's "for warrior"? What benefit comes from this? Glamor? Ugh.

Moaradin

I dunno, having unique looking gear for your class is cool. What they should do is have the base item cross class, but have the looks change depending on the job.

duckroll

Most of the GAF crew in the US are playing on Ultros/Primal. I have friends on other servers on Primal. I have local friends on Elemental. Does anyone know how bad the lag is on Primal for someone in Asia? The ping is about 247 compared to 87. What does this mean in practice? Is XIV a latency dependant game? Please help me!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All this drop drama can be overcome with personal, job specific loot instead of the archaic grind for tokens/roll for items no one in your group can even use.

Lanrutcon

Most of the GAF crew in the US are playing on Ultros/Primal. I have friends on other servers on Primal. I have local friends on Elemental. Does anyone know how bad the lag is on Primal for someone in Asia? The ping is about 247 compared to 87. What does this mean in practice? Is XIV a latency dependant game? Please help me!

I play at a 170 ping in EU, a 290 ping in US.

Effectively it doesn't matter, with some exceptions:

High level play requires breakneck reactions. A lot of extremes kill you if you miss a step. Literally. They only make up about 2% of the game's content (if that), but doing something like Titan Extreme with at 247 is going to require you to really pay attention. You can do any Extreme at 247, it's just harder than the first worlders who do it at 50.

There's a job called the Ninja, which does not like any kind of latency. Other jobs are fine at 247.

Absolutely perfect play for some classes involves weaving cooldowns, and the more latency you have the worse you'll do. But that's really only for super duper perfect rotation play, which really isn't necessary..

(I'm sure some weakling will go "omg 247 latency? I can barely play at 51!" or something)

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Any action you input basically goes through a confirmation before the client lets you do the next one. These checks add up and with high enough latency you simply won't be able to input actions as fast as you'd like to. I'm not sure what the actual watershed line is for smooth gameplay but empirically above 150ms I lose the ability to double-weave off-GCDs without clipping global cooldown timer. It's not super important if you're just playing casually, but it's not completely comfortable either.

Robin64

Q5qJesZ.jpg

Super happy with my simple clean glamour, though I am still pondering which spear will go with it. Maybe the Holy Lance?

Had to grind a crafter to 50 to get those boots, too. But damn, they are good boots, so it was all worth it. And now I can do the Moogle tribe too, so that's nice!

My ping is around the 300s and I do well even on high end battles. Know that you'd have somewhat harder time in fights that need fast reactions, but it's not that big of a handicap to deprive you from pulling your weight and you'd have inherent distaste for those who blame their under-performance on their "laggy 100s ping". Nevertheless, If you are playing casually, you should have no problem at all.

Stay away from Ninja Job, though.

Why yes, I'd love for gear progression to get even fuckier and gearing alt jobs to become a pain in the ass

Melee DPS already have it bad enough as it is, leave that shit away from other roles

Moaradin

Tokens are meant to solve that problem. Have a melee dps token, tank token, healer token, etc. drop from the boss, and then let me turn it in for class specific gear.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Tokens are meant to solve that problem. Have a melee dps token, tank token, healer token, etc. drop from the boss, and then let me turn it in for class specific gear.

Awful, even more unnecessary limits. As it is I was able to gear up ranger jobs and tanking jobs over time without really fighting anybody for loot unnecessarily and I can now help with high tier instances in both roles efficiently. If what you suggest was true, I'd only have BRD and MCH ready.

Moaradin

It's better than the alternative, which is gear dropping that is completely useless for your group. That problem is gonna get worse and worse once they add more classes in the game.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It's better than the alternative, which is gear dropping that is completely useless for your group. That problem is gonna get worse and worse once they add more classes in the game.

Why not just keep it as it is now?
Role-specific gear and general purpose tokens.
It's not like you're gonna get varied gear design anyway, even with the current system any given gearset only gets 4 designs which are then shared between roles with minor alternations.
If they wanted to give more varied gear skins, they would've.
Maybe lift role glamor restriction after the tier is outdated though.

Lanrutcon

Generic tokens solve the problem.

Aka Look, friends! The creature dropped a <token>! I am excited, for I can now buy some wonderful clothing, accessories or perhaps a weapon of any kind for whichever job I wish.

Moaradin

You're right, we probably won't get more varied designs. It's obviously much easier to only make 4 unique models. However, if they did do more unique job armor like the classic AF stuff, then I'm totally down for role-specific tokens.

To be fair, at least this tier they put more effort in differentiating gear per job, so even if casters/NIN and supp/healers share the same chest, it gets different embelishments.

Should I get my crafting and gathering classes to 60 before I start leveling a second disciple of war class? I'm wondering how I'll find equipment quickly for the DoW classes after I level them through the Palace of the Dead dungeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom