• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

Greg

Dave Long said:
It's very easy to explain...
The main thing I'm getting at is that the majority of your issues are server-side which will be fixed, and your gameplay complaints aren't even that valid even though you talk like the gameplay is a complete wreck. If you disliked the genre or had more specific complaints I would understand where the hate is coming from, but it seems to me you had a frustrating experience and that was that.

7 maps is a valid complaint, and maybe the lack of 'fresh' game modes (not exactly what the fans wanted anyways)... but that's about where it ends. Finding fault in a camera system because... it's 3rd person? Assuming there will be glitches in the levels down the road because the series has had them in the past? What the fuck - that isn't reviewing.

It seems you don't like or don't understand 3rd person shooters - just add that to the top of your review next time.

DrPirate

Banned
Dave Long said:
I guess this just proves there's no arguing with the fans. Enjoy your game.
I standby you :p

I think you were absolutely spot on with every post except the camera complaints.

I was damn angry, I sent the devs an e-mail for wasting my time, my money and my patience and I put the game towards buying Motorstorm 2.

We aren't all crazy Dave.

Edit: And for the record, I got the game day one and was only to get into 1 game. Half-way through I crashed and my PS3 hard locked. The closest I've ever been after that was in the ready room where it got stuck there and the game never started.

I agree with Dave. i just dropped 60 bucks on a game that is on some old bullshit. They need to fix this thing. I don't think complaining on neo gaf is going to get it done. everyone needs to go to the socom site and spam up their comments section with all the complaints. Make them feel the heat. Hit up Sony's blog too so they can understand, selling people a glorified beta aint gonna cut it.

Socom site link

GQman2121

Banned
Other than the camera complaints - which don't make any sense - I don't see anything wrong with Dave's review.

Honestly, I think Joe's review spoke from the heart of someone who knows the series (and knows it well), but is also optimistic about it's future.

Dave's view is of someone just blinding jumping into something new; the series is not for everyone, and with the current problems it's not a game anyone should be recommending in a critical review.

Dave Long

Banned
Just for one last attempt at clarification of the problem I have with the camera... this series has always tried to be more "serious" than others when it comes to the weaponry, the rules of engagement, etc. I think the camera choice is in direct conflict with those design goals. It puts the one shot, one kill gameplay into a limbo between arcade and sim that doesn't seem right.

It's fine if you dig it. Also, with regard to the potential geometry glitches, you reap what you sow. It's been a SOCOM problem for a long time and with all the other problems, I think it's not out of line to note that someone's potentially going to be sniping everyone from the safety of some location outside the map sooner or later.

Then again, sniping is busted too, so maybe not!

Why do you guys think I haven't played the other games in the series? I reviewed SOCOM III for Computer Games Magazine and played a ton of SOCOM II and had a passing fling with the others. I realize people have a hard time accepting when someone doesn't dig what they dig, but that's just how it is sometimes.

Malvolio

OldJadedGamer said:
Since when did every third party PS3 game suddenly get dedicated servers? Did I miss something?

Since when did "only PS3 games" become the equivalent of "every third party PS3 game"?

WinFonda

Dave Long said:
Why do you guys think I haven't played the other games in the series? I reviewed SOCOM III for Computer Games Magazine and played a ton of SOCOM II and had a passing fling with the others. I realize people have a hard time accepting when someone doesn't dig what they dig, but that's just how it is sometimes.
Not that you'll find me disagreeing with you that Socom Confrontation is a buggy mess that was released prematurely... But in terms of objectivity, are you really surprised people are going to take issue with your criticisms--even if they're valid--on PS3 games, Dave? Your own blog has a post titled 'LittleBigFailure.' Sometimes the messenger says more than message.

Malvolio said:
Since when did "only PS3 games" become the equivalent of "every third party PS3 game"?

"only PS3 games" means every game no matter who makes them and I don't recall the vast majority of PS3 online games having dedicated servers. It's the exception and not the norm and defiantly not needing of a blanket statement..

I was having no problems at all with this game since I got it last Friday, but today its already froze my PS3 3 times. At least I hope its the game and not my PS3 dieing.

dralla

Dave Long said:
Gameplay problems include assault rifles as the only viable weaponry. The over the shoulder cam that allows you to "cheat" by seeing things your player-character cannot. Few modes of play that incorporate no new features for this genre. A capture point mode that's ludicrously designed (everyone caps points but a capture doesn't take one away from the other team? WTF?). You only get seven maps. SEVEN! And some of them aren't built for some gameplay modes! Best of all, they'll probably try to charge you for more maps later on!

what? every type of weapon is useful. The SMG's dominate in close range.

spwolf

Dave Long said:
I think it's not out of line to note that someone's potentially going to be sniping everyone from the safety of some location outside the map sooner or later.

Then again, sniping is busted too, so maybe not!

Sniping is not an problem in SOCOM, because there are no perfect locations to snipe from, unlike in some other games... I have played quite few hours total now and never got an issue with snipers - because maps are desiged so any location has 2-3-4-5 ways to access it.

You played tons of SOCOM, yay for you. You are my hero.

7 maps is quite ok - most people at the end settle for playing 2-3 of their favourite maps over and over again (it happened in every shooter I ever played). And 7 maps for $10-$40 game is not bad.

alejob

Mustaphadamus said:
I agree with Dave. i just dropped 60 bucks on a game that is on some old bullshit. They need to fix this thing. I don't think complaining on neo gaf is going to get it done. everyone needs to go to the socom site and spam up their comments section with all the complaints. Make them feel the heat. Hit up Sony's blog too so they can understand, selling people a glorified beta aint gonna cut it.

Socom site link
I see what you did there.

If what I think you did is what you did.

J-Rzez

Doel said:
I feel bad for people who are missing out on this game because of reviews. When there isn't server issues it's the best playing console shooter out there right now as far as I'm concerned. Might be missing a couple promised features but that doesn't prevent the gameplay itself from being incredibly fun, deep, and satisfying.

This is a fact though. When it runs right, it is unequal in experience compared to other shooters out there. It's one of the shooters that still to this day has a real-unique feel/play to it the separates it from the crowd. IF they get the server/user bugs fixed, and get in the party/invite features that were promised in, then I will not touch another shooter for a long time. It will be the return of the king. Oh, and I need my SR-25sd/XM-110 for commandos and Barrett for mercs. :p

Das-J said:
Me too... looking at it right now in fact! :D

:( .. I wanna see in game action in video form. (Or first hand playing lol)

I hope I get into the beta for that, but Sony hates me and I hate how they pull people from underground (which i belong to), even people that don't like said genre. I believe in Zipper. I think the hardware held those guys back last gen. I'm pretty into and competitive in shooters (was number one in prior SOCOMs for a short time lol, along with being in top 5 for CoD4 PS3 for a little while heh), and MAG is sounding like a dream come true. Especially if it's a persistent battlefield :D

Greg said:
I guess this proves that anyone can write reviews for a website. Enjoy your job.

:lol

Spike

I've never played a Socom game before. Keeping that in mind, should I get this game?

Is there a single-player component, or is it multiplayer only?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
What are you 4? All online multiplayer games have problems when released. Just come back to the game in a month when the server issues are fixed.

lol@ this shit

dork

Banned
Ravenn17 said:
Where do you guys play? Did you pick a home server yet?

Im working on it

So far I have been finding whatever central server has the least amount of people in it

If i can get like 3 or 4 gaffers who want to play tonight, i can host and we can play. Let me know

edit-or even one person who wants to play, ill host and we can get some teamwork going on

rSpooky

Fucking hell, not only do I have to deal with this buggy mess, now I end up more and more in rooms with players that have no mic and try to play the game like it is fucking halo 3 or something and as a result we get our asses kicked. I am not a socom god by any means, but at least I know somewhat how the game is supposed to be played. and the damn talk while you sprint freeze bug is getting on my nerves too.

/rant
I am going to bed. :(

fin

Any word from Sony or /6 about a patch yet? I don't want to play this game till it starts running correctly. Spending more time waiting for a match/dealing with bugs/crashing than playing the game pisses me off.

dork

Banned
i only played 3 games, all 3 times i got rooms where everyone had mics and worked together :)

although some of the ebonics could stop ;\

dork

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
don't like some of the community?

It's just a little much sometimes. I should have expected it knowing what I know about who buys these games (working retail)

But so far everyone has been at least nice and helpfull. Havent run into pointless yelling or name calling which is always a plus.

dork said:
It's just a little much sometimes. I should have expected it knowing what I know about who buys these games (working retail)

But so far everyone has been at least nice and helpfull. Havent run into pointless yelling or name calling which is always a plus.
I see what you mean and yeah for the most part I've been pretty impressed how cooperative and communicative/talky the community has been thus far when playing (for a console release obviously) .....even though the "tough-ass mothafucka" talk gets old pretty quickly

biocat

I was playing on the Japanese beta last night, which is still going on, and managed a 3 hour session. It's really a fun game, but this was after about 4 hard-reboots earlier in the day from the game locking up.

I really hope they fix the bugs in the game. The Japanese beta should have already ended, but for some reason the servers are still up. Only about 100 people were on so I didn't experience any server-load issues. All the bugs I had were from the game just freezing up. Oh, and that scope alignment problem was a bit of a pain, too.

biocat said:
I was playing on the Japanese beta last night, which is still going on, and managed a 3 hour session. It's really a fun game, but this was after about 4 hard-reboots earlier in the day from the game locking up.

I really hope they fix the bugs in the game. The Japanese beta should have already ended, but for some reason the servers are still up. Only about 100 people were on so I didn't experience any server-load issues. All the bugs I had were from the game just freezing up. Oh, and that scope alignment problem was a bit of a pain, too.

any idea how the japanese players feel about the game as a whole right now?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
dork said:
Im working on it

So far I have been finding whatever central server has the least amount of people in it

If i can get like 3 or 4 gaffers who want to play tonight, i can host and we can play. Let me know

edit-or even one person who wants to play, ill host and we can get some teamwork going on
host plz!

Darkpen

Banned
lol, ebonics...

be racist moar D:

I've always found the SOCOM community to be of the mature crowd, back when I played SOCOM 2, I assume its the same for this as well. I mean, sure, you get a redneck every now and then, but unlike in Halo 3 or CoD4, they tend to be more mature in SOCOM.

J-Rzez

Darkpen said:
lol, ebonics...

be racist moar D:

I've always found the SOCOM community to be of the mature crowd, back when I played SOCOM 2, I assume its the same for this as well. I mean, sure, you get a redneck every now and then, but unlike in Halo 3 or CoD4, they tend to be more mature in SOCOM.

You get more than rednecks. You get E-thugs and the occassional "scream into the mic" people. But most certainly not near the levels of retards that CoD4 and H3 have. It's simply unbelievable how many of them play those 2 games.

J-Rzez said:
You get more than rednecks. You get E-thugs and the occassional "scream into the mic" people. But most certainly not near the levels of retards that CoD4 and H3 have. It's simply unbelievable how many of them play those 2 games.

yep

ravien56

so I bought this day 1, played it, didnt run too bad, on day 2, the servers were completely fucked up and I havent played since....how are they working during prime time? ie. 9pm-12pm? still server overload?

biocat

AgentOtaku said:
any idea how the japanese players feel about the game as a whole right now?

The beta servers were down for quite a while. I'm not sure how many people here actually know about the game or have had a chance to play it in the beta, and the only people with headsets while I was playing were speaking English.

Hopefully Japanese players take to it when it goes on sale on the 30th. I think they're a little bit more my level. I doubt I'd last very long on the American servers. That and I think I'd kill myself if I had listen to American high school kids shouting out orders and calling people gay, etc. I've luckily been able to avoid that experience so far.

dork

Banned
Topher said:
host plz!

ill find a not so populated central server and call home, and host gaf games ill report back

i want to rank :(

Darkpen said:
lol, ebonics...

be racist moar D:

oh hush i didnt mean it like that

but yeah people are way more mature. In the beta, they were kinda mean. But in retail (beta2) i just played a game where people were explaining the game modes to me and this other guy, very cool. Got this one guy to watch my back and cover me while i captured a point.

ps, ran into like 5 rednecks to :)

dralla

Well, I think I'm done for the day. Finally had some free time to put some good hours in, played pretty much all day with no problems [aside from the occasional lag], no freezes, glitches, or disconnects. Ended on a 5v5 Supression on Frostfire, finished 10-0, winning every round :]

Just some general thoughts...

The new maps, for the most part, are pretty damn good, the one weak link being Fallen. I was expecting it to be the best new map based on the fly-through but! the top part of the map is too congested, too many pieces of rock, uneven terrain, and the small canyons to the right of the SEAL base, ugh...yea. I like the general layout but I think the top area, where most of the action takes place, needs tweaking. I was hoping we'd be able to go up near the big white pillars at the top-center area, but alas, you can't :[ Kasbah on the other hand is awesome, my favorite of the new maps, it feels like a Zipper map. Quarantine is also good, but the frame rate doesn't hold up in the middle dome-shaped room. Urban Wasteland is a bit too big but lots of different areas to go to, probably the map with the most replayabilty just because of all the options. As for as game types for them, Kasbah/Quarantine = Supression/Demolition, the other 2 really only work well with Supression. If I were to make a server rotation it would be...

Frostfire = Supression
Crossroads = Demolition
Desert Glory = Extraction
Kasbah = Demolition
Urban Wasteland = Supression
Quarantine = Demolition
Fallen = Supression

Weapons, much better balanced than previous games. No more "God" weapons [IW], spray weapons [M14], one hit kills with shots to the leg! [M8]. SEALs still have the best all around weapon with the M4A, but the F90 got a nice upgrade making it the best SMG. Still some guns missing I'd like to see though [RA-17].

Ah, the Ranked servers...first of all, why are there so few? It's near impossible to get in one with so many people playing the game. Than when you finally do get in one it has 8 minute rounds! 5 minutes is the sweet spot, use it. No more rooms dedicated to game types, Demolition Medley, ect. No more rooms dedicated to a map either.

There's a lot more I could say but I don't want to walloftext everyone, time to boot up Dead Space.

dork

Banned
Nice impressions. I will use your map rotation idea when I host. Can i host a ranked or does it have to be an official one?

I haven't had a problem getting into a ranked server, just do what i suggested, Pick the server with the least amount of people. I got into a ranked game that was 16 v 16 the modes were different on every map, was really cool

Arsenic

dralla said:
**Sexy Wall of Text**

There's a lot more I could say but I don't want to walloftext everyone, time to boot up Dead Space.
I actually wished you did write more, nice impressions. One thing I do disagree with was the one-shot kill to the leg with an M82/M87. I think its very fair, since 1) its realistic, you can die from one bullet anymore with a 50 cal and 2) its actually harder to hit the legs. Reward the lucky :p.

dork

Banned
Having to be in a clan to rank up is a little ridiculous...rumor is ranks will be reset during the next patch and then they will actually work..

Top Bottom