• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

I feel ya. Huge elixir trades are so satisfying.

I already had the guy on the ropes, and was destroying his other tower while this was going on, so it didn't really matter. He couldn't take out the bats because he was battling for his life on the other side.

I just like the image of this huge hulk being nibbled to death.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I already had the guy on the ropes, and was destroying his other tower while this was going on, so it didn't really matter. He couldn't take out the bats because he was battling for his life on the other side.

I just like the image of this huge hulk being nibbled to death.
Haha. Yup. Unchecked, bats make quick work of enemies.

HotHamBoy

Anyone playing Titanfall Assault? It's both similar and different. I'm actually enjoying it, though so far it doesn't feel as nuanced yet.

Cooter

Thoughts?

I have been using a solid log bait deck that is popular for months now. I do well but have trouble against Golem decks and 3m decks. The 3m decks I don't see very frequently but I see Golem at least 25% of the time in challenges which I normally play(I checked my log, 6 out of 25 were golem/lightning) . So here's my old deck:

GB
Princess
Knight
GG
Log
IT
Rocket
Ice Spirit.

I recently switched Ice spirit for a mirror and am doing better overall. It allows me to defend much better with the double knight or double GG options. Also double Princess if I face an air heavy deck. I also find my offense is a tad stronger because I have more attack options. Obviously taking away the IS increases my cycle time but it's still a relatively cheap deck. Here's where I'd like to hear other opinions... I have only used it in challenges because my mirror is a lvl 4 and I'm afraid the downgraded mirrored troops on ladder may not translate as well. Also, I just clicked on the top player in the world and like the 4th and they have the traditional deck with the Ice Spirit. I'm guessing this must mean it is a more productive deck with the Ice Spirit than the mirror, correct? Or am I looking into things too much? I would love to see these guys swap the 2 cards and see how they do.

Thoughts?

I have been using a solid log bait deck that is popular for months now. I do well but have trouble against Golem decks and 3m decks. The 3m decks I don't see very frequently but I see Golem at least 25% of the time in challenges which I normally play(I checked my log, 6 out of 25 were golem/lightning) . So here's my old deck:

GB
Princess
Knight
GG
Log
IT
Rocket
Ice Spirit.

I recently switched Ice spirit for a mirror and am doing better overall. It allows me to defend much better with the double knight or double GG options. Also double Princess if I face an air heavy deck. I also find my offense is a tad stronger because I have more attack options. Obviously taking away the IS increases my cycle time but it's still a relatively cheap deck. Here's where I'd like to hear other opinions... I have only used it in challenges because my mirror is a lvl 4 and I'm afraid the downgraded mirrored troops on ladder may not translate as well. Also, I just clicked on the top player in the world and like the 4th and they have the traditional deck with the Ice Spirit. I'm guessing this must mean it is a more productive deck with the Ice Spirit than the mirror, correct? Or am I looking into things too much? I would love to see these guys swap the 2 cards and see how they do.
I think it comes down to tournament standard vs ladder. My ladder deck relies on higher level legendary, but that obviously doesn't translate to tourney. I'd go IS in ladder, mirror in tournament based on what you described.

Water

What would you suggest for a deck when the average opponent has way superior cards but is worse at the game? I'm thinking something high risk / high reward that would allow outplaying the opponent as much as possible, since "even" or grindy situations tend to end up an autowin for the opponents even if I consistently outplay them.

I'm at player level 8, just broke into Jungle Arena and don't have any legendaries apart from GY and IW. The opponents tend to be lvl9-10 and their cards are leveled maybe 0.5-1 level higher than mine on average, and they have tons of legendaries like NW, EW, LH, ID.

I've recently been playing a pekka deck that has inferno tower, skeletons, bats, poison, grunt, minion horde, wizard as support. It definitely feels too grindy to have any chance vs a lot of decks I go against, no matter how bad the player.

Brakke

Banned
I was consistently beating people two tower levels above me with Mortar strat. Without specifically looking at what cards you have available or understanding your meta, here's some general advice for punching above your weight.

I think what you want is cheap defenders that you can play intelligently in order to gain an elixir advantage, and then a win condition that punishes quickly. So like Hog or Elite Barbarians to win. Maaaaybe Royal Giant? Mortar works because if you drop it when they're empty on Elixir, they can't drop a distraction to screw up its targeting, it'll hit the Tower with its first shot. Balloon + Rage could fit the bill if you're really confident and good at keeping track of enemy hand cycles. Slow win conditions (like Pekka or Spear Gobs behind Giant) are tough because the other guy will have a chance to cycle into the proper counter before your win condition can do enough (or any) damage.

Cheap defenders that trade up well would be things like Ice Spirit, Skeletons, Ice Wiz, Ice Golem, Guards, Tomb Stone, even Knight. Maybe Bats for some anti-air capacity? What you want are cards that take a few hits to kill, can drag aggro, cost less than the spell that naturally kills them, and are flexible. Two-card defenses are usually good, Ice Golem to drag something off the road and tank hits and then Skeletons for DPS, for example. Just don't over-commit if you can help it or else a single Fireball will wipe you out.

So choose like three or four of those, a win condition or two, and then a couple spells. If you're super comfortable with any particular card, try and include that.

You'll definitely be playing for 1-crown victories. It's very tough to get on the enemy throne if it has two towers shooting your push at high crown level, plus the throne HP is gunna be huge. Score your one crown and then pivot to defense (an off-lane push that you expect to fail is still "defense" if it forces or tricks the enemy into defending).

Finally, plan your next upgrades. You'll almost certainly want to upgrade your win condition ASAP for the damage potential. But then understand where upgrades aren't as important. Skeletons, for example, can usually lag a bit behind because they die to one shot against anything. Zap is ok as long as it brings Minions down far enough that your Tower only needs one shot to finish them off; if your tower needs two shots to kill after a Zap, the Zap is too far underleveled. https://www.deckshop.pro does a good job of calling out which cards can lag behind on level and which must keep pace.

HotHamBoy

Maybe I'm a sucker but I hate going with the popular strategy, even if it's effective. It's so boring to face the same decks over and over.

Cooter

Maybe I'm a sucker but I hate going with the popular strategy, even if it's effective. It's so boring to face the same decks over and over.
I run a popular deck (log bait, princess/GB/Rocket) but it's so hard with so many decisions during the match that can either win or lose a game it's usually always exciting.

HotHamBoy

I run a popular deck (log bait, princess/GB/Rocket) but it's so hard with so many decisions during the match that can either win or lose a game it's usually always exciting.

Im not saying it isn't exciting for the person using the deck. I'm just sayin that when I go online and 4 out of 5 decks are the same basic type it gets really boring.

Cooter

Im not saying it isn't exciting for the person using the deck. I'm just sayin that when I go online and 4 out of 5 decks are the same basic type it gets really boring.
Oh gotcha. Yeah, I get that. Hog, Golem, 3m, log bait, repeat. I imagine this Mega Knight will be everywhere once everyone gets him. From what I've seen it looks ridiculously over powered.

Off topic but my favorite matchup is playing my exact deck. It's like a game of chess. We're playing 4 or 5 moves ahead trying to force mistakes. It's nerve racking but oh so satisfying when you pull it out. Plus, when you lose you can go back and study the replay to find out where exactly it went wrong.

Cooter

What kind of decks do you guys use in 2v2? I went heavy defense with spells for support last time around because it seems most people cone offense heavy.

totowhoa

Banned
I deleted this game yesterday and unfollowed YT-ers and I keep picking my phone up to check YT for a new deck or opening the app to donate.

This is surprisingly reminiscent of trying to quit smoking lol

Matt Frost

I never expected two gifts in one day: permanent 2v2 and 2 free magic chests. Nice

I deleted this game yesterday and unfollowed YT-ers and I keep picking my phone up to check YT for a new deck or opening the app to donate.

LOL

HotHamBoy

Man, rando partners DCing from 2v2 is so fucking obnoxious. Really irks me when I can't even communicate it to the other team and they're just gloating.

There should be a penalty for DCs in general.

Spent another 500 gems on a Legendary Chest and got the Graveyard. Another Meh card, but I think I'll try it out in 2v2

Man, it sucks now. I got one right before the nerf and even then it went from just okay to useless. Used to be pretty great back in the day.

Speaking of nerfs, I've come to the opinion that they went a little to hard on Night Witch with the last patch. It's not that she isn't good for 4 elixer because she is, but she isn't really Legendary-tier anymore. I feel like she is on par with vanilla Witch now when adjusting for elixer cost.

I guess I understand why they further reduced her death bats from 3 to 2, but the hit to her melee range really sucks. I'm also not so sure they needed to increase the bat spawn timer so much. If NW was 5 elixer I would probably use vanilla Witch instead.

I still use her but I get more value from my new E Wiz.

Cooter

Man, rando partners DCing from 2v2 is so fucking obnoxious. Really irks me when I can't even communicate it to the other team and they're just gloating.

There should be a penalty for DCs in general.

Man, it sucks now. I got one right before the nerf and even then it went from just okay to useless. Used to be pretty great back in the day.

Speaking of nerfs, I've come to the opinion that they went a little to hard on Night Witch with the last patch. It's not that she isn't good for 4 elixer because she is, but she isn't really Legendary-tier anymore. I feel like she is on par with vanilla Witch now when adjusting for elixer cost.

I guess I understand why they further reduced her death bats from 3 to 2, but the hit to her melee range really sucks. I'm also not so sure they needed to increase the bat spawn timer so much. If NW was 5 elixer I would probably use vanilla Witch instead.

I still use her but I get more value from my new E Wiz.

The problem is some people just lose connection. Be hard to punish them for that.

Yeah, I agree NW was nerfed a little much but she's still solid and used frequently so I doubt a buff is incoming. Now I'm worried about cards in my log bait being nerfed like GB, Knight, IS, IT, and GG. Seeing a lot of bitching lately. Not that it means anything but still. If they buffed zap to take out GBs or nerfed GB to the point of rendering it useless all that time and gold spent would be wasted.

Dazzler

toto! We miss you, come back

There's two free magic chests in the shop and 2v2 is back

Yeah, my gf got a legendary in each of her accounts. I got nothing, and my legendary chest gave me meh cards, damn it.

2v2 is gadly back. So much fun there.

b33r

Any open spots in any of the healthy GAF clans? Alreay in one but looking for a clan for my second account.

We have 2 spots open, messaged the clan, someone should respond.

Edit: pm'd you an invite I think. Gaf pms are weird, let me know if it got to you.

J0dy77

I figured it out.

Release clearly OP Legendary card.

People spend money to buy OP Legendary card.

Nerf OP Legendary card.

Nerf OP Legendary card again.

That sounds familiar...

It drives me crazy that they don't compensate people who do spend. I'm not asking for money back but you can recoup gold and allow me to sell a card back. Perfect example is the NW this time around, they buried her in the ground. I bought 2 of those for 80k gold that I would easily place elsewhere after the nerf. I should be able to trade back the nerfed cards I built for the gold I spent, same as how they do it in Hearthstone.

Matt Frost

It drives me crazy that they don't compensate people who do spend. I'm not asking for money back but you can recoup gold and allow me to sell a card back. Perfect example is the NW this time around, they buried her in the ground. I bought 2 of those for 80k gold that I would easily place elsewhere after the nerf. I should be able to trade back the nerfed cards I built for the gold I spent, same as how they do it in Hearthstone.

Yeah NW is kind of useless without a golem. I also spent 80k on her as well and am completely dissapointed with those TWO nerfs. As if one nerf wasnt enough. Never buying legendaries from the shop again. Thanks, Supercell...

Wasn't the Princess nerfed way back? Something like making her damage area smaller?

Don't think I had one at the time.

Yeah, smaller attack radius and slower projectiles. She never used to miss goblins on the other side of the arena before, now she almost always does :(.

Cooter

You guys ready for the Mega Knight challenge? Still unsure what deck I'll run. I'm leaning towards a miner poison hybrid. Maybe a GY but it will probably be too expensive. I think I'll skip on the Pekka and choose to go ID or IT as defense.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not worried about my log bait deck when he gets released but I think I can handle him.

You guys ready for the Mega Knight challenge? Still unsure what deck I'll run. I'm leaning towards a miner poison hybrid. Maybe a GY but it will probably be too expensive. I think I'll skip on the Pekka and choose to go ID or IT as defense.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not worried about my log bait deck when he gets released but I think I can handle him.

Yeah, I still don't know either. It has deploy, jump and melee-area damage to consider, so it will be a both ultra-defensive card and a big push builder cleaning the road (while doing damage of it's own to the tower when it gets there). So I don't know if the GY or Hog is a good combo.

I think flying troops will do wonders against it though, so I think I'll use something against that.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Man 2v2 is so amazing. Sorry I'm just discovering this now but I didn't even touch it the last time it was around. This game absolutely needs a permanent "quick play" equivalent so you can get chests and crowns without jeopardizing your rank. I haven't played this game regularly in over a year because the ladder stresses me out way too much. Now I find myself sad when my crown chest is opened and my slots are all full.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Man 2v2 is so amazing. Sorry I'm just discovering this now but I didn't even touch it the last time it was around. This game absolutely needs a permanent "quick play" equivalent so you can get chests and crowns without jeopardizing your rank. I haven't played this game regularly in over a year because the ladder stresses me out way too much. Now I find myself sad when my crown chest is opened and my slots are all full.

With basically every mode now giving you crowns, and 2v2 supposedly permanent, I don't think there needs to be another modes to grind crowns.

Cooter

I love 2v2. No stress chests to level up and get better at ladder. I look at ladder as strictly a matter of pride. Where I test my skill relative to others.

Top Bottom