• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazons [devkit?] controller revealed by Brazilian FCC [Up: Additional Images]

iamvin22

Industry Verified
9n8GHiR.gif

Ugly, but it does hit some right notes.
Size of the controller and overall shape (looks 360-like).

I still can't believe this is going to be a thing though (amazon console).

sinxtanx

That is LITERALLY the devkit controller. If you think this looks visually bad, you should see the devkit.

And whoever took those images apparently didn't notice the "barcodes". Nice job announcing who you are to Amazon, guys.

EDIT: I should clarify that I know this because I've held one. I won't tell whose, but it's okay-ish comfortable. Handles are a bit small.

GodofWine

its ugly but it probably not uncomfortable. I assume they are not half-assing this.

Butt, if they are, it'll fail, history proves half-assed gaming devices sink.

Orayn

Could you people try to just say "I like/dislike asymmetrical analogs." instead of making these not-so-clever statements about the sticks being wrong/right? It's okay to admit that it's a preference.

Face button labels are incorrect though.

They're the same as the 360 controller, which is what it's clearly emulating.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
its ugly but it probably not uncomfortable. I assume they are not half-assing this.

Butt, if they are, it'll fail, history proves half-assed gaming devices sink.

it got same battery holder as the wireless 360 controller so that will be uncomfortable as hell (it's why I use wired 360 controller).

dkeane

Looks really nice. Love flat, non-gloss materials.
Design lines are really modern looking.
Will have to hold it to truly judge it.

vg260

That is LITERALLY the devkit controller. If you think this looks visually bad, you should see the devkit.

And whoever took those images apparently didn't notice the "barcodes". Nice job announcing who you are to Amazon, guys.

Haha. Whoops.

Not that I had an issue with the recent Prime price hike, but adding a gaming component to it would make the bump much easier to swallow for many. Offering something like a competent version of Onlive's PlayPack would probably get me to buy their console.

scitek

You know what? I can't say I'm too interested in this box, but if it results in more Android games having native controller support, and more hardcore games appearing on my phone, I'm down.

Is 360 not by far the biggest console in the US market? Also, Sony's stick placement is pretty much confirmed to be tradition more than researched ergonomics.

They are not going to sell exclusively to the U.S.A so why would you cater to only one country? There are large amounts of Playstation fans all over the world and seeing as how the PS4 is selling more than the Xbox One, they should make it more like the Dualshock 4.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
You know what? I can't say I'm too interested in this box, but if it results in more Android games having native controller support, and more hardcore games appearing on my phone, I'm down.

It's Amazon so think of Kindle Fire or Ouya. Games Amazon Studios/Double Helix will make will most likely be locked on the device, your android phone wont be getting anything.

Raistlin

That loop to the left thing better be for replay a la Roku.

If it doesn't haven't that functionality, it is literally off my radar automatically.

lyrick

It doesn't rest on its own shoulder triggers so at least the design team shows some level of competency.

EDIT: I should clarify that I know this because I've held one. I won't tell whose, but it's okay-ish comfortable. Handles are a bit small.

Is... is the D-Pad good?

Darksol

It looks like the 360 controller and a shitty 10$ peripheral controller had a baby. And then they dropped the baby on its head and tried to smooth out the flaws with an iron. Hideous. Cheap. Uncomfortable. You better improve that crap Amazon.

javac

Media buttons...Makes sense I guess. I'd be cool and make more sense if it had a 3.5mm jack and speaker built in.

I'm surprised it doesn't have a "Buy Now" button.

Looks like a prototype. Reserving judgement.

You don't go to the FCC (or its equivalents) with a prototype. If you change anything beyond something cosmetic, you have to file again.

I'm pretty sure those three lines on the far right middle buttons could actually be called out for copy right...those are the exact three lines on the Xbox One controller. Granted, the thing looks like complete ass.

Those top 3 middle buttons are the Android buttons. If MS had something against them they'd have sued Google long ago.

Somnid

They are not going to sell exclusively to the U.S.A so why would you cater to only one country? There are large amounts of Playstation fans all over the world and seeing as how the PS4 is selling more than the Xbox One, they should make it more like the Dualshock 4.

PS4 has like 6 million worldwide, 360 is at what? 80 million or so? This is such a flimsy argument. They do what they think works best. Might as well make a Wii Remote if you're just going remake what sells the best.

sinxtanx

Hold on, I'm worthless at reading.

This was sent in by Amazon to a regulatory agency? Damn, I guess it's more or less final, then.

Not the prettiest controller, but it looks wholly functional (Quite like the 360, which makes sense given when it was likely developed.) I will remain interested, though skeptical, of this whole endeavor.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What blows my mind is how many multinational corporations with a ton of cash can't seem to hire at least one competent industrial designer. Blows my fucking mind.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It seems okay, not sure why everyone is being so harsh. The back looks exactly the same as the 360 (down to the screw placement). The sharp lines under the left stick and face buttons might be a problem but it's impossible to tell without using it.

Whoops

Top Bottom