• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco US PR: Declined Attack on Titan 3DS + PxZ/Naruto PC sales comment

Takao

Banned
Shonen Gamez:

One of the conversations that was brought up was the Attack On Titan 3DS game that came out a while ago in Japan. According to Siliconera Spike Chunsoft wanted to find a publishing partner to bring this game overseas and apparently the idea was pitched to Namco.

While they didn’t go too much into detail the deal was ultimately dropped.

When we asked how Project X Zone sold overseas they told me that it sold ten times better than what they expected. I asked since it did really well if it would it warrant a sequel and they told me that they would love to see a sequel for this game (I for one would love this since I put so many hours into this game).

Finally, we spoke about how well did Naruto Storm 3 Full Burst do on the PC and to my surprise they said it did well enough to warrant another PC release so fans on that platform will be happy that it did well. I stressed the fact that fans would like modding to be a little easier to do but unfortunately there are licensing issues stopping Namco from making it easy for fans.

There's also a throwaway comment about how they're happy to see fan excitement for Hyper Dragon Ball Z, which is an impressive looking MUGEN project.

Here's an interview with Tales of's Hideo Baba:
JPGames.de: This means you will first wait for the sales figures of Tales of Hearts R?

Baba: (laughs) Let’s phrase it like this: Not only the sales figures matter. The more people play the game the more likely it is [that Tales of Innocence R will be released in the west].

JPGames.de: The next questions revolves around a Tales game that was never released outside of Japan: Tales of the Tempest. Is there a chance for a remake?

Baba: In Japan we were discussing a remake of Tales of the Tempest for quite a while. But like with Tales of Innocence R, there are currenly no plans for that. But even in Japan there are many people who want a remake.

JPGames.de: Most recently an HD version of the Symphonia games was released. Are there plans to remaster any of the other Tales games?

Baba: The HD version of Symphonia was also something like an exception since it was the game’s tenth anniversary and because it is one of the most popular games. There are no plans for any other remasters at the moment. That’s because we have so many games that there are always anniversaries, and if we would do a remaster each title, we would practically do nothing else anymore.

JPGames.de: The next question is referring to Tales of the World: Reve Unitia. Why did you decide to make a strategy RPG, and is there a chance that we will be seeing the game in the west?
Tales of the World: Reve Unitia

Baba: I wouldn’t call it a strategy RPG, but rather a simulation RPG. In the other games, battles take place in real time, but in Unitia you move the characters turn by turn, and this way you act, as you said, strategical and simulate the course [of a battle]. Because many characters from different games come together, it was a good opportunity for us to use a new kind of system. A western release, I am sorry to say, is currently not planned.

JPGames.de: Tales of Vesperia was the last game that used a cel-shading graphic style. Many players like this style because it closely resembles the style of anime and allowed for many charming comic-y expressions and portrayals. Is it possible that this style is used again in a Tales title?

Baba: In Tales of Vesperia this style was especially dominant which lead to everything looking somewhat cute. The idea behind the modern Tales games is to make the proportions of the characters and the world look more realistic while using a soft-focus effect on the surfaces to create the impression of a water color painting. That’s our current direction. It’s not that we have abandoned cel-shading completely – we’re still using it actually –, but it’s not so dominant anymore.

Varshes

Passing on Attack on Titan doesn't seem like a smart decision, feel like it it would sell more than a game like Project X Zone.

How about bringing us the SRT OG now, Bamco ?

Thing is with the SRW/SRT games is all the licensing. Even if they wanted to, the amount of money they would have to make back would have to be extremely significant. Dunno how much they are willing to risk it. I would buy em though.

gngf123

Hey, Namco. If PxZ sold much better than expected, maybe a certain 3DS RPG you haven't localized yet would also sell better than you think.

That AoT game looked awful from what I could see, not too worried about it.

Kid Marin

Thing is with the SRW/SRT games is all the licensing. Even if they wanted to, the amount of money they would have to make back would have to be extremely significant. Dunno how much they are willing to risk it. I would buy em though.
The SRT Original Generation series has no licensed robots, just Banpresto stuff.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wow at Project X Zone.

*looks up Attack on Titan 3DS* Oh ew ew, bad. Yeah, that can stay in Japan.

Koppai

Hey, Namco. If PxZ sold much better than expected, maybe a certain 3DS RPG you haven't localized yet would also sell better than you think.

That AoT game looked awful from what I could see, not too worried about it.
Digimon? ;) i heard the AoT is a QTE fest.

Ultimadrago

I'll get the next Steam Naruto as well.

They're bad at actually being fighting games, but great Pretty Special Move Exhibition simulators.

Can't be helped.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Attack on Titan game looked so awful, Chunsoft should've put a good developer behind that first even a popular manga/anime wont sell and publishers will not care if the game is crap.

Finally, we spoke about how well did Naruto Storm 3 Full Burst do on the PC and to my surprise they said it did well enough to warrant another PC release so fans on that platform will be happy that it did well.

Good. Ok Bamco see you can sell on PC, now put all Digimon game on Steam.

Tizoc

Now bring JoJo ASB to PC/Steam.
Bamco pls.

That's not to say anything of their other anime games that could come on Steam >_>;

Are Bamco mainly, if not only, focusing on developing games based on anime franchises now?

Phil S.

Banned
I'm glad Project X Zone did well. I didn't particularly enjoy it, as battles went on way too long, it was super repetitive, and it had some other smaller scale problems. However, if it opens up the door to more localizations, then I'm happy.

Takao

Banned
Are Bamco mainly, if not only, focusing on developing games based on anime franchises now?

The Bandai side has always done licensed stuff. Almost all of it's outsourced to smaller Japanese development studios. The Namco side still does stuff, and most of it's internal.

Fire Emblem -> Project X Zone

Two big SRPG on the 3DS, and yet Namco has no plans to localize Tales of the World and Square Enix is nowhere to be seen with a new Tactics title.

Fuck them.

sibarraz

Banned
I doubt it, but it will be cool to see namco picking hyper dragon ball z, polishing it a bit, and release it as a digital game

Percy

Banned
Oh well, I'll just import Attack on Titan... oh wait... :(

F U NamDai.

Also, I'm actually not that glad PxZ did well. Easily the worst thing Monolith have ever made. Boring as fuck "Strategy" RPG that had about as much strategy in it as it did challenge... which was none.

Good news on Naruto PC though at least.

That's great to hear about Project X Zone, despite its length I did enjoy the game and glad to hear they're happy with the sales.

RalchAC

Digimon? ;) i heard the AoT is a QTE fest.

Maybe he is talking about Youkai Watch? It wouldn't be the first time they partner with Level-5 to publish one of their games in the West.

I'll get the next Steam Naruto as well.

They're bad at actually being fighting games, but great Pretty Special Move Exhibition simulators.

Can't be helped.

They're style over substance, but I think they're quite good for that proper reason. I like all the flashiness and the fact that the learning curve is not as harsh as in most fighting games.

But I suck at them.

The Bandai side has always done licensed stuff. Almost all of it's outsourced to smaller Japanese development studios. The Namco side still does stuff, and most of it's internal.

Yeah, I've always seen Bandai as a "toy company" and Namco as the more "pure" videogame company. Digimon would probably be in a better position if it had been handle by Namco internal studios from the very beginning. But it wasn't theirs.

Tizoc

Glad to hear that the PC ports have been going well for them. Other Japanese developers, take note if you haven't.

Pretty sure Falcom at least is pleased with its PC sales, heck TiTS is still among the top 10 sellers on Steam AND GOG.
SEGA and Capcom's PC sales are decent too.

Eolz

Really glad to hear that for PxZ and Naruto PC.
I think Namco really has an audience on PC (their F2P titles like Ace Combat would fit), and fighting games really prove once again they have an audience as well on this platform.

NxC and PxZ are a great idea, and even if the latter was a disappointment (gameplay wasn't as deep and story/missions were sometimes waaaay too long), they need to continue like this and expand on it (more characters, references, publishers...).
A PxZ with Nintendo and some others like Konami would be a dream come true

Edit:
Also, I'm actually not that glad PxZ did well. Easily the worst thing Monolith have ever made.

Monolith didn't make it, it was Banpresto if I remember well. Monolith is credited because they gave some advices and designed/made the original concept and system in NxC.

Instro

I feel like there has been a number of popular MUGEN projects over the years, but none have ever actually released.

t26

How about bringing us the SRT OG now, Bamco ?

Atlus tried it with the GBA but I guess the sales just isn't good enough. People like SRW because of the license stuff, the gameplay is secondary. No one will care about PXZ if has genetic characters.

Koppai

Maybe he is talking about Youkai Watch? It wouldn't be the first time they partner with Level-5 to publish one of their games in the West.

They're style over substance, but I think they're quite good for that proper reason. I like all the flashiness and the fact that the learning curve is not as harsh as in most fighting games.

But I suck at them.

Yeah, I've always seen Bandai as a "toy company" and Namco as the more "pure" videogame company. Digimon would probably be in a better position if it had been handle by Namco internal studios from the very beginning. But it wasn't theirs.
god I hope not. Namco Bandai takes forever.

That Tales game will come here after it gets a Vita port I bet. Isnt it for 3DS?

Tamanator

Monolith didn't make it, it was Banpresto if I remember well. Monolith is credited because they gave some advices and designed/made the original concept and system in NxC.

Monolith developed it. Though it was their secondary development team which also developed Super Robot Taisen Endless Frontier.

Takao

Banned
god I hope not. Namco Bandai takes forever.

That Tales game will come here after it gets a Vita port I bet. Isnt it for 3DS?

Which Tales game? Tales of Innocence R is already on Vita. Tales of the World: Reve Unitia is a 3DS (port of a smartphone game?) title. The Tales of the World spinoffs usually don't get localized.

Squishy3

I don't want a sequel for Project X Zone unless they make the battles not tedious as all hell. It's not even difficult and requires next to no strategy, it's just a time waste.

Koppai

Which Tales game? Tales of Innocence R is already on Vita. Tales of the World: Reve Unitia is a 3DS (port of a smartphone game?) title. The Tales of the World spinoffs usually don't get localized.
I wonder why that is? Tales probably sells alot more than other RPGs like the Atelier games right?

MrT-Tar

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually quite enjoyed Project X Zone when I played it in short bursts (35 mins max). Earlier this year, I played it during my commute to uni on the London Underground and found it a bit of mindless entertaining; I just found it ultra repetitive when I played it for longer periods, like on inter-city rail/coach journeys or at home.

Top Bottom