• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
A overly produced "60 minutes" style look back at Gerstmann-gate would be kinda hilarious and I'd watch it.

Get Jeff. Get some ex Gamespot people like Kevin Van Ord, Ryan McDonald (if he is out of Guantanamo Bay), Ricardo (I think him and Jeff where kinda co EiC when it happened right?) and a few others. Maybe someone from IO Interactive to say "yeah, That sure was fucked up".

I think a Ken Burns style anniversary video would be better. Lots of still photographs and slow push-ins or wipes.

Fevaweva

I know I am super late on this, but I still can't handle seeing Drew as a meme. I was on tinder and looked some girl's twitter page (she linked it, dw I wasn't being creepy) only to see that she retweeted a post with that gif of Drew in it.

So crazy.

Mr. F

Banned
It was kind of funny listening to them scratch their heads over Double Fine's games and trying to figure out when their last hit was

daveo42

Banned
I know I am super late on this, but I still can't handle seeing Drew as a meme. I was on tinder and looked some girl's twitter page (she linked it, dw I wasn't being creepy) only to see that she retweeted a post with that gif of Drew in it.

So crazy.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dan thinking Waluigi is the boss and Wario is the henchman is like the most baffling thing Dan has ever thought

and that says a lot

justjim89

Dan thinking Waluigi is the boss and Wario is the henchman is like the most baffling thing Dan has ever thought

and that says a lot

Isn't it crazy how every week we get a new one of those?

Haven't listened to the Beastcast yet. Did they read my email about working out?

BearPawB

Banned
The last two big YouTube dramas were based around people defending casually using the nword and antisemetic language.

Why that is the hill so many young people want to die on I will never understand

justjim89

The last two big YouTube dramas were based around people defending casually using the nword and antisemetic language.

Why that is the hill so many young people want to die on I will never understand

Because free speech is taught to be the end-all, be-all at least in America. And it leads to people wrongfully thinking there's no such thing as consequences for offensive or damaging speech.

It's like how shitty dudes hear feminism means men and women should get treated completely equally and the first thing they say is, "So that means I can hit a woman, right?"

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Still no QLs for Sniper Elite and Halo Wars, not even on the schedule :/

Because free speech is taught to be the end-all, be-all at least in America. And it leads to people wrongfully thinking there's no such thing as consequences for offensive or damaging speech.

It's really funny to me, cause in Austria you can go to jail for saying certain things so I never viewed free speech the same. Obviously our particular history helped to shape that too.

Google

I dont think anyone is choosing to die on that hill, it's simply all they have left to preserve their income stream.

Also, people are different. They grow up in different cultures and education. The internet is can be an echo chamber. Just because you know something to be wrong or right doesnt mean that this is shared by the other 7 billion people on this planet.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

So crazy.

I barley use Tinder but what the fuck is up with that "Recommend [name] to your friends" option. That is among the creepiest shit I've ever seen in a "mainstream" app.

Google

Obviously our particular history helped to shape that too.

Well that's the pretty huge asterisk next to the reason why you can't spout off anti-semitic language in Germany and Austria. We're not far enough removed from the people that actually suffered during those times to resign it to the texts of history books yet.

Zaph

I dont think anyone is choosing to die on that hill, it's simply all they have left to preserve their income stream.

Also, people are different. They grow up in different cultures and education. The internet is can be an echo chamber. Just because you know something to be wrong or right doesnt mean that this is shared by the other 7 billion people on this planet.

Huh? You think if PDP didn't act like a bitch and blame the press his income stream would be damaged? His fans were with him either way and he's still going to make millions per year through Youtube.

If anything, he just threw away even bigger future opportunities, and maybe the chance to get out of this content grind he doesn't seem to be into.

Catvoca

Banned

I agree with you on the hate speech stuff, it's shitty and dismissing anything like that as "just jokes" is bullshit. But I also think the pewdiepie stuff is a bit more complex since so much of the WSJ video that caused this whole thing was misrepresented, out of context clips that paints him as doing or condoning much worse things then he actually did.

Zaph

Where have I said this?

You claimed they die on that hill to preserve their income stream, implying of if they don't do this their careers are over.

That doesn't make sense. Plenty of people fuck up, sincerely apologise, and move on with their career just fine.

I agree with you on the hate speech stuff, it's shitty and dismissing anything like that as "just jokes" is bullshit. But I also think the pewdiepie stuff is a bit more complex since so much of the WSJ video that caused this whole thing was misrepresented, out of context clips that paints him as doing or condoning much worse things then he actually did.

If you watch the whole video, PDP adds very little context, if any. WSJ didn't pluck them out of some satire masterpiece. He does shock 'humour', which is fine, but he couldn't deal with getting called out on it.

Google

You claimed they die on that hill to preserve their income stream, implying of if they don't do this their careers are over.

First; I was replying to the posters comments about 'dying on that hill'; that's not my terminology.

Second; I don't see anyone dying on any hills. I see young people on a younger form of media making inappropriate comments and then defending those comments on said media.

Third; this will blow over irrespective of whether anyone apologises or not.

Fourth; content, content, content. Every view of that apology video (or response video) is making money for everyone. YouTube, PDP, the ad agencies, the sponsors, etc. Everyone is winning.

Catvoca

Banned
Did you guys know Drew Scanlon is a meme now
rrrwsjzj.gif

Zaph

First; I was replying to the posters comments about 'dying on that hill'; that's not my terminology.

Second; I don't see anyone dying on any hills. I see young people on a younger form of media making inappropriate comments and then defending those comments on said media.

Third; this will blow over irrespective of whether anyone apologises or not.

Fourth; content, content, content. Every view of that apology video (or response video) is making money for everyone. YouTube, PDP, the ad agencies, the sponsors, etc. Everyone is winning.
none of this seems to relate to this comment:
which is what responded to. If anything "blow over irrespective" seems to contradict "simply all they have left to preserve their income stream".

BearPawB

Banned

Second; I don't see anyone dying on any hills. I see young people on a younger form of media making inappropriate comments and then defending those comments on said media

I wasn't even talking about PDP, I was talking about the amount of people bending over backwards to defend the dude.

If I say, "I don't think saying "kill the Jews" is ok. Suddenly I'm branded as outrage culture. And someone who gets offended to easily. I just don't understand when caring about people became a bad thing to do.

I've seen the context and it's still not funny. I don't think he's antisemetic but I sure do think he's a douche.

I wasn't even talking about PDP, I was talking about the amount of people bending over backwards to defend the dude.

If I say, "I don't think saying "kill the Jews" is ok. Suddenly I'm branded as outrage culture. And someone who gets offended to easily. I just don't understand when caring about people became a bad thing to do.

I've seen the context and it's still not funny. I don't think he's antisemetic but I sure do think he's a douche.

It's because those people likely have never had to face any real kind of discrimination or bigotry and see first hand how destructive it can be. It's easy to sit on your ivory throne of privelage and accuse society of being "too PC" when you aren't the one being marginalized.

neshcom

Banned
If you know what taxes are, you can skip the first 11:30 of BeastCast. The exciting world of banking and finances was too much for me to listen all the way through.

Man, next year is giantbomb's 10th anniversary. Wonder if they'll do anything about it.

Or if they'll time it at the start of arrow pointing down or the actual site.

I bet Danny will do something as well and it'll be great.

This movie has the best line ever uttered in any movie ever.

If my best friend hides his farts from me then what else is he hiding from me, and why does that make me feel so alone?

That pan flute solo tho ��

fffkpk7b.gif

Don't understand the music(nice beats though) but that is neatly directed. Must have been tons of fun.

Google

which is what responded to. If anything "blow over irrespective" seems to contradict "simply all they have left to preserve their income stream".

Sorry. Perhaps I should have been explicit in that I dont think it's either/or.

My belief is that the people making the argument for 'free-speech' (or whatever label we want to apply in this discussion) are doing so because they're the one who made the insidious remark and they'd prefer to own that remark and continue on with it and own that.

So I'll rephrase my original comment if I may. I dont think it's purely an income defense strategy. I think it's the strategy of a young person being caught up in something and defending it because they're young and dumb.

I'm surprised about the amount of people that have defending PDP when all of this stuff went down, but at some point, it really shouldn't surprise me. I wanted to write a more pointed argument, but really, he's just an asshole.

The whole, "it's a joke" defense is dumb. He's the biggest thing on YouTube, he has responsibilities that involve not building a community of people that believe racism and discrimination are OK when you're joking. I'm glad people are doing what needs to be done.

What makes it even worse is his half-assed apology video. "I'm sorry you were offended." That's BS.

EDIT: Just got this part on the Beastcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom