• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
So do we want unified memory now or separated memory? Was this part of the problem with PS3 and 360 games using differnt methods?

2 cpu cores and 3 gb of ram dedicated to OS... at least that's the rumor.

Since when? 3GB of ram for OS sounds awfully, and I mean AWFULLY overkill and unoptimized and unnecessary.

Going from 32 MB of Ram, to 3 GB....is the OS going to cook you dinner and blow you or something?

Windows 8 uses around 1Gb of ram. That's on a desktop! How does RT fare on the tablet side for example? (Which comes with 2GB of ram for example).

It seems pretty out there, that not only would they beat Nintendo's terrible OS optimization, but beat it by a factor of 3?

I don't see it.

Karak

So do we want unified memory now or separated memory? Was this part of the problem with PS3 and 360 games using differnt methods?

Depends on MANY things. Even moreso this gen almost.

Where are you getting the idea that it uses anything from IBM? All the rumours over the past months seem to make that unlikely.
It popped up recently from a very respected source. But they have been wrong 1-2 times before. Right moreso than wrong.

Since when? 3GB of ram for OS sounds awfully, and I mean AWFULLY overkill and unoptimized and unnecessary.

Going from 32 MB of Ram, to 3 GB....is the OS going to cook you dinner and blow you or something?

Windows 8 uses around 1Gb of ram. That's on a desktop! How does RT fare on the tablet side for example? (Which comes with 2GB of ram for example).

It seems pretty out there, that not only would they beat Nintendo's terrible OS optimization, but beat it by a factor of 3?

I don't see it.
Revisions Reduce Requirements. That is one of the mantra's. It will be 1:1 or a bit more by the time it comes around.

Need more info. But it is looking good so far. At the very least we will be a significant leap in terms of visuals and overall gameplay options/mechanics.

By the way, AMD renamed their HD 7000 series to HD 8000, renamed.
http://www.digitalversus.com/graphi...its-entire-radeon-range-seriously-n27733.html
- Radeon HD 7970 GHz is now called Radeon HD 8970
- Radeon HD 7950 v2 is now called Radeon HD 8950
- Radeon HD 7870 is now called Radeon HD 8870
- Radeon HD 7770 is now called Radeon HD 8760
- Radeon HD 7750 v2 is now called Radeon HD 8740

The architecture doesn't change, just the name. So I wonder if we will see a read 8000 series GPU in the 720 or just a renamed 7000 series GPU.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

I don't see it.

Set-top box TV channel recording while you play a game is probably going to be the RAM hog responsible alongside a full W8 OS.

j9r4Q.jpg

So will Forza 5 look like this or what?
lol...

Likely not. There is no use to waste polygons on details you wont see in games.

While these rumors are nothing more than speculation until credible sources get involved, such as Microsoft finally showing off the console, but if this rumor is true then I will be very content with that. While it might not be up to the levels of an ultra high end gaming PC I think it would last us just fine for a good number of years.

DieH@rd

Banned
By the way, AMD renamed their HD 7000 series to HD 8000, renamed.
http://www.digitalversus.com/graphi...its-entire-radeon-range-seriously-n27733.html
- Radeon HD 7970 GHz is now called Radeon HD 8970
- Radeon HD 7950 v2 is now called Radeon HD 8950
- Radeon HD 7870 is now called Radeon HD 8870
- Radeon HD 7770 is now called Radeon HD 8760
- Radeon HD 7750 v2 is now called Radeon HD 8740

The architecture doesn't change, just the name. So I wonder if we will see a read 8000 series GPU in the 720 or just a renamed 7000 series GPU.

That's only for OEM configurations, nothing new. Same thing happened few times before for both AMD and nVidia.

Desktop 8000 series will come out in Q2, and it will be powerful and fully HSA compatible.

?

http://www.gamerzines.com/playstation/news-ps3/crytek-next-gen-8gb-ram.html

Rumours about 8GB for next gen are older than that man.

Depends on MANY things. Even moreso this gen almost.

It popped up recently from a very respected source. But they have been wrong 1-2 times before. Right moreso than wrong.

Revisions Reduce Requirements. That is one of the mantra's. It will be 1:1 or a bit more by the time it comes around.

1 core, 1gb?

Karak

?

http://www.gamerzines.com/playstation/news-ps3/crytek-next-gen-8gb-ram.html

Rumours about 8GB for next gen are older than that man.

1 core, 1gb?

:) Way older.

And yes. 1 core 1 gb. That would be an excellent overall secondary system to run various other stuff. With a good system for watching for any misused allocated resources that would be all you need for a good deal of time. Even with some big updates. Additionally if MS pushes a cloud secondary system in 2-4 years after this release, some stuff can be pushed off into the cloud.

Proelite

Yes, i should mention that ram is usually half

So, probably a stronger GPU and about 4GB main ram + 2GB VRAM perhaps

Unless the 8GB is unified, so that would make for 4GB total ram

It's 8gb unified for the final console. These specs are not dev kit specs.

AlStrong

:)

Anyways, there was the multi-sourcing rumour from Charlie awhile back, and there are few that would be appropriate. Along with the Jaguar rumour, it ought to be fabbed pretty much anywhere on 28/32nm.

Now how they're going to mitigate the poop bandwidth that goes along with commodity RAM is going to be fun.

Proelite

Are alpha kits more powerful to make up for missing optimizations that will be possible with the finished thing?

Yes. And various reasons.

They won't be downgrading the games when they switch to newer games that's for sure.

low-G

lol @ people shocked the next gen specs are high. Yeah, welcome to new console hardware. You must be new here

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Alpha kits were 8 core 16 thread Intel Xeons, 12gb ram, and very powerful 7000 series cards.

Positive. Very.
Lots of good custom silicon coming ;)

so, does this indicate that since alpha durango was downgraded - or that they were able to achieve virtually the same with custom built other components (ie, new kit is roughly = to alpha kit in terms of actual performance despite what it looks like)?

EDIT: saw responses above. :)

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I don't think there's any way durango's total flops could work out to what's in the devkit, honestly. It would be absurd.

i was angling for some erring, hand waving, confirmation or dismissal of the ~2.5tflop GPU buzz.

answer on an anonymous postcard.

pr0cs

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, it's moving pretty fast.
Anyone care to speculate if these specs would mean that the new xbox would be backward compatible with the 360?

Karak

so, does this indicate that since alpha durango was downgraded - or that they were able to achieve virtually the same with custom built other components (ie, new kit is roughly = to alpha kit in terms of actual performance despite what it looks like)?
EDITED: You already saw the answer.

ekim

As I understand the latter.

Top Bottom