• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony And Microsofts Next Generation Racers Rumored

You know, I've never favoured one console manifacturer over the other, but Bizarre and PGR are synonymous to Xbox and for some reason I'm not happy about Sony getting a slice of that PGR cake.

Is the entire Evolution working on the next gen IP or just a part of it? Is it fully open world or is it more Motorstorm - like? How realistic is the driving model?

DR2K

Banned
Shame they couldn't use the GT name, would have moved tons of units on name brand alone.

Raptor

and now he's signing his posts

pl4Jm.gif

A new PGR would be really nice if true!

I have heard the PGR rumor, as well. Many months ago, in fact.

Owners of rare cars have been asked if the developers can record engine sounds for a new PGR game.

Edit: Supposedly.

Totally serious.

Well this is certainly good news. Many of us have been speculating that Ged was leading up a serious racer for the PS4, but it's good to have confirmation on it.

Not really surprised that Polyphony shot down the GT brand association. Kaz is super protective of it.

GavinGT

Banned
Pertinent info:

- ex Bizarre employees join Evolution
- Evolution working on PS4 racer, to be shown Feb 20
- Lucid Games working on new PGR for next Xbox, aiming for launch

Quote:
Several members of Studio Liverpool have also joined the team and they are working on a new next gen racer for Sony’s Playstation 4. The game is supposed to be similar in style to PGR. They wanted to make it part of the Gran Turismo series a la Forza Horizon, but Japan nipped that in the bud.

Of course, the last thing Polyphony wants is to be directly compared to another team who can make games on a quicker schedule, that is more consistent and features a real damage model

Derrick01

Banned
So the 2 systems may have dueling launch arcade racers? I'm not a big fan of the genre (unless it's burnout paradise!) but it should be interesting to watch unfold at least.

spuit*11

Banned
Most of this information is readily available. So no big deal there.

But this is the first I've heard of the Gran Turismo part.

Yeah doesn't make sense...Unless they didn't want two GT games out relatively close to one another

Or PD are really protective of the brand. Remember they didnt want to farm out GTpsp after Sony suggested it to them because they didn't trust anyone to do it right.

I dont care about the GT brand being attached to this even though it would have been good for sales but I hope they can at least share car models with PD.
It would be great for both studios. Evo can use GT5's models and GT6 can have a few extra cars Evolution made.

Sony doesn't really need to waste money getting more people modelling GTR's.

I haven't heard you hint at any info in quite a while.

I hadn't thought about this one in a long while.

Last time I remember talking about it was on a podcast a while back and I got a lot of "Nah, seems unlikely" comments back.

But yeah, there was definitely second-hand talk from people who own rare cars saying Microsoft approached them for that thing.

Boss Man

Personally never been big on racing games. I tend to jump into whatever looks good on launch though. However, this is the part I'm most excited about:

The next exciting bit I found out about this new mystery racing game is that it will be shown on February 20th at Sony’s Playstation event, along with another next gen shocker from Guerrilla Games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, pretty sure we'll be seeing Evolution's new racer on the 20th.

I wonder what type of racing game it'll be. Evolution has done off road, Liverpool (a lot of whom are at Evo now) has done future, and several PGR guys are now there. It could be anything and still have a lot of talent behind it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why is the Senior Editor and the "Mixologist" trying to look so tough in their profile images?

So evolution is making the true PGR sequel :p

Also to me the notable thing here is that if the racing rumour is true, then maybe the rumour that guerilla's game will be at the feb 20 event are true as well. Which is more significant to me.

Darryl

Banned
not much of anything here. the consoles were obviously going to launch with an exclusive racer. i'm surprised they're not using the selling power of their main racers to push the console, though.

So aegies "Wait for Durango Secret Sauce! It will all make sense" is now the stamp of credibility on NeoGAF. Interesting.

This isn't sarcasm and I'm not trying to be a dick here.

B.O.O.M

DerZuhälter;47356014 said:
So aegies "Wait for Durango Secret Sauce! It will all make sense" is now the stamp of credibility on NeoGAF. Interesting.

I would like to think he would actually know on the software front of things than hardware. Besides the info in the OP is pretty much hinted at or speculated for ages now

iMax

So what’s going on in Microsoft’s camp? Apparently, ex-Bizarre and Criterion developers are working on a next generation PGR5 game for the next Xbox. As you already may know, the ex-Bizarre developers formed Lucid games and are located in Liverpool. They are taking the existing PGR code base and upgrading it for the next generation Xbox.

I wasn't aware of anyone at Lucid being ex-Criterion.

We still don’t know anything officially about Orbis or Durango.

Yeah, pretty sure we'll be seeing Evolution's new racer on the 20th.

I'd say that's a safe bet

https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/297175554799583232

Finally back in the UK. Had an awesome honeymoon in Thailand. Got a day off to recover tomorrow & then there are a few exciting weeks ahead!

https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/298560182143811585

That's from the director of Motorstorm RC. The first tweet doesn't really say anything, but he seems to be one of the few Sony devs that actually even mentioning the event on their twitter accounts.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You know I'm surprised we haven't even seen a concept art from the new GG IP

I'm really curious if it's going to be the new IP or KZ4. I could see them wanting to just do KZ4, finish up the story, then focus on the new IP but they may get a ton more hype behind the new IP at launch and then pull out the stops visually on KZ4 after they've had more time with final hardware. Could go either way.

aegies

I never said "secret sauce." And last I checked, most of the things I've posted had turned out to be true. That said, believe me or not.

Metallix87

They didn't want to be potentially upstaged by what sounds like the most epic racing game staff ever assembled.

Agreed. Polyphony Digital takes too long to deliver their product. If these guys deliver a product of similar or better quality in half the time...

Top Bottom