• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fountain Pens 2k16

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
oh sweet, office depot sells metropolitans in-store! gonna head there after work

I completely forgot about that! If you don't have a good local shop, Office Depot does stock Metros.

Fountain pen trivia: the pen US presidents use to sign bills is a Cross Townsend. I think both Obama and GWBush used the rollerball model, though.

Hey, since one of the pics in the OP uses the exact same ink that I have (Edgar Allan Poe), I thought I'd run this by FP-GAF real quick:

v0HVZJL.jpg
(Content's not important, it's a silly Instagram thing I'm doing.)

I am very new to fountain pens so I'm clueless. This is a Lamy Safari, fine nib, on a Rhodia notebook. Should the ink flow be so inconsistent? This was actually a very well-behaved couple of paragraphs, relatively speaking; sometimes the pen will just cut out for multiple letters and not write at all. It's also pretty scratchy, which wasn't what I was expecting. I know there could be any number of things causing the issue, but is there something in particular I should look into first?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Hey, since one of the pics in the OP uses the exact same ink that I have (Edgar Allan Poe), I thought I'd run this by FP-GAF real quick:

(Content's not important, it's a silly Instagram thing I'm doing.)

I am very new to fountain pens so I'm clueless. This is a Lamy Safari, fine nib, on a Rhodia notebook. Should the ink flow be so inconsistent? This was actually a very well-behaved couple of paragraphs, relatively speaking; sometimes the pen will just cut out for multiple letters and not write at all. It's also pretty scratchy, which wasn't what I was expecting. I know there could be any number of things causing the issue, but is there something in particular I should look into first?

Nope. It should not skip like that. I have the same problem with my other Lamy Safari. Over time, the nibs seem to break in for me, but I get consistent ink flow out of my Pilots and TWSBIs right away. It doesn't seem like this happens to a lot of Lamy owners, so I'm convinced it has to do with the angle I hold the pen. You can either suffer through it a bit or maybe poke around online and see if anyone has a suggestion. You can get any nib altered by a nib maker, but it will cost as much as the Safari to do so.

I just started using the Edgar Allen Poe and I'm digging it! I'm forever searching for the perfect green ink. Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine is maybe my favorite so far.

For purple, Mont Blanc Lavender Purple is killer, and is surprisingly cheap.

Nope. It should not skip like that. I have the same problem with my other Lamy Safari. Over time, the nibs seem to break in for me, but I get consistent ink flow out of my Pilots and TWSBIs right away. It doesn't seem like this happens to a lot of Lamy owners, so I'm convinced it has to do with the angle I hold the pen. You can either suffer through it a bit or maybe poke around online and see if anyone has a suggestion. You can get any nib altered by a nib maker, but it will cost as much as the Safari to do so.

Thanks so much! I'll stick with it a little more and see if its temperament improves. I've already got a Metropolitan on order because I'm insane, so I'll give that a shot too for comparison.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Emerald de Chivor is so awesome. I bought Stormy Grey to add a subtle, I'm hoping, beauty to my normally boring, black ink signature on documents. It seems subtle enough that people won't consciously notice.

Emerald is my preference but that wouldn't work out, heh.

Well this thread finally pushed me over the edge. I've been tooling around with a Pilot Varsity recently, but decided to commit to something more solid.

I found a pen store about a five minute drive from my house: Crazy Alan's Emporium (otherwise known as Office Supplies and More). More pens and ink then I've ever seen in one place. The proprietor, Crazy Alan, claims it's one of the best stocked pen and paper stores in the US.

He let me take a spin with a few pens, including the Pilot Vanishing Point. He even pulled out the catalogue to show me the different $380 and $800 body variations for the Vanishing Point, all while spitting out various trivia about the world's most expensive pens. It was surprisingly fun just getting my hands on different pens and paper.

Ended up going home with a Pilot Metropolitan and some Private Reserve ink in a purplish-black color called Tanzanite. Exciting stuff! Thanks, Bagels and Co.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Well this thread finally pushed me over the edge. I've been tooling around with a Pilot Varsity recently, but decided to commit to something more solid.

I found a pen store about a five minute drive from my house: Crazy Alan's Emporium (otherwise known as Office Supplies and More). More pens and ink then I've ever seen in one place. The proprietor, Crazy Alan, claims it's one of the best stocked pen and paper stores in the US.

He let me take a spin with a few pens, including the Pilot Vanishing Point. He even pulled out the catalogue to show me the different $380 and $800 body variations for the Vanishing Point, all while spitting out various trivia about the world's most expensive pens. It was surprisingly fun just getting my hands on different pens and paper.

Ended up going home with a Pilot Metropolitan and some Private Reserve ink in a purplish-black color called Tanzanite. Exciting stuff! Thanks, Bagels and Co.

This sounds amazing! I want to meet Crazy Allen!

I have a matte black Vanishing Point my wife bought me for my birthday. Absolutely one of my favorite pens! They released an italic nib unit late last year and I want to get my hands on one soon!

I hope you like the Metro! Sounds like Crazy Allen can hook you up if you get into pens!

I picked back up my glass pen today (it needs a tip sanding desperately, all I have right now is 220 grit), and my ink seems fine although I haven't used it in years, but man, now I'm practically itching to get more pens and ink.

That ink is lovely, by the way. Noodler's Ink United Kingdom Eternal Ink in "The Highland's Heather". I have no idea if it is still available anywhere, but if you're a dark purple fan, it is some addicting stuff. It is the perfect mixture of "dark enough to look like grown-up serious business" and "purple enough to notice" for me.

Well, I just jumped into the deep end, hopefully I can swim!

I bought a Hobonichi Techo Planner, Pilot Metropolitan and J. Herbin Stormy Grey ink.

I am a very artsy person and am looking forward to this venture! Am I missing anything I might need, or am I good to go?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Well, I just jumped into the deep end, hopefully I can swim!

I bought a Hobonichi Techo Planner, Pilot Metropolitan and J. Herbin Stormy Grey ink.

I am a very artsy person and am looking forward to this venture! Am I missing anything I might need, or am I good to go?

Did you get a converter (you need one to use bottled ink in the Metro)? The Metro comes with one cartridge which you can also empty and refill with your new ink. You'll want a small syringe.

Did you get a converter (you need one to use bottled ink in the Metro)? The Metro comes with one cartridge which you can also empty and refill with your new ink. You'll want a small syringe.

According to Amazon, the Metro comes with 1 Pilot Press Plate Converter. I'm assuming that will do the trick?

Thanks!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
According to Amazon, the Metro comes with 1 Pilot Press Plate Converter. I'm assuming that will do the trick?

Thanks!

Nope! That thing sucks. It used to be packaged with the Parallel Pen as an accessory for cleaning it. I toss them in the trash.

Ludovico

That's the one! Buying a box of Pilot Mixable Colours, dumping them, and refilling with a blunt syringe is a really cheap option and the carts actually hold a bit more ink.

I already use a syringe to refill my Metro's, which currently have the squeeze-bulb refillable cartridge. I may have to pick up a pack of those colours - extra capacity would be nice, but being able to easily check the ink level would be ACE.

Also, howdy all!! I'll maybe try and get a pick of my collection up sometime. Nothing says you've got your shit together quite like having a plethora of fancy writing gear.

That's the one! Buying a box of Pilot Mixable Colours, dumping them, and refilling with a blunt syringe is a really cheap option and the carts actually hold a bit more ink.

Update the OP with info about the converter.

Ooh, that's a good tip too! I just ordered this one, but if I need more, may consider that.

Okay, put in an order with JetPens for a Metro (Retro Pop Purple Eclipse), the CON-50 converter and a bunch of stuff, like paper/notebooks. Two Rhodia pads and 5 A5 trial sheets each of Cream and White Tomoe River for a dollar each is killer, really.

So, I was digging through old reviews for my ink above and apparently it dries really fast. Which I noticed with the glass pen, but thought was atmospheric since I live in a desert. Any suggestions for helping with that? Aleady thinking of fitting a ball bearing into the converter, since I have to go to the hardware store anyway.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Okay, put in an order with JetPens for a Metro (Retro Pop Purple Eclipse), the CON-50 converter and a bunch of stuff, like paper/notebooks. Two Rhodia pads and 5 A5 trial sheets each of Cream and White Tomoe River for a dollar each is killer, really.

So, I was digging through old reviews for my ink above and apparently it dries really fast. Which I noticed with the glass pen, but thought was atmospheric since I live in a desert. Any suggestions for helping with that? Aleady thinking of fitting a ball bearing into the converter, since I have to go to the hardware store anyway.

Very nice! That Tomoe River is addictive!

The con-50 has a little metal disk in it that agitates the ink. The Mixable Colours used to come with a ball bearing in each cart, but the last few cartridges that came with my Metropolitans didn't have them. Dropping one in is a good way to help ink flow.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I really like demonstrator pens. I'm thinking I could slap my Plumix nib on a Prera and be happy. Then maybe sell or return my Safari.

kris.

Banned
I completely forgot about that! If you don't have a good local shop, Office Depot does stock Metros.

never mind :(

they only sell them online for delivery. i was majorly bummed that i drove out there without noticing on the page that it said delivery only. guess i'll have to wait and order it off amazon

Sera O

Banned
My TWSBI diamond mini had the part with the threads on the nib section snap off inside the pen. The sadness of plastic... :(

It's cool though because I got a very fast response after using the "contact us" form on their website. I will be sending it back to them for repair/replacement as soon as I can get the apache sunset out of it.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
My TWSBI diamond mini had the part with the threads on the nib section snap off inside the pen. The sadness of plastic... :(

It's cool though because I got a very fast response after using the "contact us" form on their website. I will be sending it back to them for repair/replacement as soon as I can get the apache sunset out of it.

They seem really nice with service stuff!

I picked up a Vac Mini and I think it is my favorite TWSBI of all.

My Lamy is very susceptible to drying out if I leave it uncapped for a night by accident, especially in this dry winter air here in Maine. You can take the nib off when the ink is emptied and clean any dried out bits of ink off of the underside/interior of the nib, usually resolves any skipping issues for me.

I've had the Pilot Varsity on my Amazon wishlist since 10/27/2013 because of your previous thread on fountain pens.

I've yet to pull the trigger :/

(I also haven't been to Rochester since then, too, I swear :/)

linid0t

I thought I was out, but this topic pulled me back in... I have a few inks in my Amazon shopping cart again... must resist...

My ever day note taker is a Pilot Decimo - the thinner version of the Vanishing Point. Filled up with rather plain but functional Pelikan 4001. Also have a nice Pelikan pen for journal use at home, although I don't know the model. Got a charcoal Lamy Safari in my bag in case I forget my pencil case. Also a few cheaper plastic pens lying around, don't use them very much now though...

I usually don't use fancier inks because I use fine point nibs, so I feel like the shading and colours wouldn't show as well. Might get a bottle of that P.W. Akkerman though, I love that bottle design! Anyone here use it before?

I've been writing with a kakuno for the past month. It's my first fountain pen. I got it out of curiosity for use with my Hobonichi Planner.

A coworker today wanted to sign something today and it was the only nearby pen, she said she's impressed and that she's really interested in pens. I didn't get it to be impressive (and it isn't the one to get for that) but it could be a good conversation starter.

I've read it isn't good for others to use a fountain pen since people write differently and it changes the nib. Is there much to that?

I love you t...hold up. This ink on your collar...I don't use this shade of Diamine! Whose ink is this????? How could you???????

I have needs, Bagels. Needs only a thousand ink wells can fill.

My Lamy is very susceptible to drying out if I leave it uncapped for a night by accident, especially in this dry winter air here in Maine. You can take the nib off when the ink is emptied and clean any dried out bits of ink off of the underside/interior of the nib, usually resolves any skipping issues for me.

Ink can dry really quickly. And yeah, you can clean the nib, but just capping the pen is much simpler and keep everything working much longer.

Jac_Solar

Hey, Bagels. Thanks a lot for this write up. I've been considering buying a decent fountain pen for awhile, but I'm not sure what to buy. I wouldn't really use it very often -- I just want to buy one, and maybe try to write a bit more, and practice handwriting (Any tips or guides for this that you know about?).

Anyhow, it's between one of these -- I would really appreciate some tips about which to buy:

Waterman Graduate
Waterman Hemisphere
Parker I.M
Cross Bailey
Cross Classic Century
Sheaffer 100
Sheaffer 300
Sheaffer Sagaris
Diplomat Esteem
Diplomat Traveller
Lamy Al-Star
Lamy Logo
Lamy Safari
Lamy ST
Lamy Vista

If I buy Lamy Al-Star, Lamy Logo or Lamy Safari I'd probably also buy their ball-point and/or rollerball pen versions.

AxeMan

[B]The Pilot Metropolitan: The Best Value in Fountain Pens or possibly anything[/B]

Update: the Metropolitan comes with a "plate converter," which is a pitiful little squeeze bulb thing. It sucks. If you want to use bottled ink (a converter "converts" a cartridge pen to accept bottled ink), grab a Pilot con-50, or you can rinse out the ink cartridge the pen comes with and refill it with a blunt syringe. Goulet pens sells packs of syringes if you don't have any around from injecting your diabetic cat with insulin.
[/QUOTE]

Alright, you've got me interested in pens and this one in particular though I'm confused by what you mean with what I've quoted.
[url]https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/fountain_pens/pilot_mr_metropolitan_fountain_pen.html[/url]

Can you explain the process to me like I'm an idiot? Are you saying if I get this pen I need to take out the ink cartridge and empty it and then refill it with a different ink?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Alright, you've got me interested in pens and this one in particular though I'm confused by what you mean with what I've quoted.
https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/fountain_pens/pilot_mr_metropolitan_fountain_pen.html

Can you explain the process to me like I'm an idiot? Are you saying if I get this pen I need to take out the ink cartridge and empty it and then refill it with a different ink?

Sure thing! It's easy to forget, when you get into any hobby, that there is a bunch of dumb technical and pseudo-technical language that people use to describe little fiddly points. It's how you show how serious you are!

So pens either have some kind of internal reservoir - the ink is held in the body of the pen - or they are designed to use ink cartridges. The Pilot Metropolitan uses cartridges. There are two standard sizes of cartridges - international standard short and international standard long. Some brands, like Pilot, use their own cartridge form factor. If you want to use bottled ink with a pen designed for cartridges, you buy something called a converter. This is a little cartridge-sized doohickey with a filling mechanism. Cartridges are meant to be used and then discarded. A converter is rinsed out and used over and over again.

Here are my TWSBI pens, which all have internal reservoirs.

Pilot Prera with a con-50 converter. You can see the metal band with the little black nob you twist to fill it sticking over to the right. The ink is in two blobs to the left of the metal band.

Here is the converter that comes with the Metropolitan and two Pilot ink cartridges. If you peek inside the cartridges, you can see the colored plastic disks that seal them off and indicate the ink color.

(The pen things are propped up on is a Franklin-Christoph)

With me so far?

When you buy a Pilot Metropolitan, it comes in a case with a black ink cartridge in the box. When you unscrew the body of the pen, there is a little rubber and metal contraption seated in the pen. This is the "plate style" converter, seen above. It feels really cheap and there is no way to see how much ink you have in it. The better bet is to either use the included cartridge and buy more of those (the standard Pilot ink is okay and cartridges are cheap), buy Pilot's standard con-50 converter, or pop the seal on the cartridge (you'll see that a little plastic disk seals one end. When you push the cartridge into the pen, the seal gets pushed aside and the ink can flow. If you want to dump a cartridge, just push on one edge of the little plastic disk with a toothpick) and refill it with your own ink. It helps to use a syringe to do so because the cartridge opening is too small to comfortably pour ink in without getting it everywhere.

Did that all make sense? The CARTRIDGE you get with the Metropolitan works just fine. It's decent black ink. The CONVERTER it comes with sucks. If you want to switch to bottled ink, get a con-50 or rinse out your cartridges and refill them.

AxeMan

Did that all make sense? The CARTRIDGE you get with the Metropolitan works just fine. It's decent black ink. The CONVERTER it comes with sucks. If you want to switch to bottled ink, get a con-50 or rinse out your cartridges and refill them.

So, if I followed you correctly.

If I get the pen I should also get a con-50 to go with it and some bottled ink. And the con-50 is easily refillable with different colour inks

Dunbar

I have a couple Lamy Safaris I use at work and I really like them. And yeah, you do get some interesting comments from people who barely realize fountain pens are still even being made, let alone that people use them for daily work.

I've tried a lot of different types of paper and Mnemosyne has worked best for me. I have a few pads of the Rhodia paper and I find it smears the ink pretty bad if I'm dragging my hand across the page.

My one issue with the pens is refilling the ink. I use a piston type convertor in both pens. Even though I've been using them for quite a while, it's still impossible for me to do a full refill without getting at least some ink on my hands or the pen. I've heard of people using a syringe to refill the convertor but taking a syringe to work doesn't sound like the best idea.

Bboy AJ

How often does TWSBI make new models?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

If I get the pen I should also get a con-50 to go with it and some bottled ink. And the con-50 is easily refillable with different colour inks
Bingo.

You can also just get a bunch of cartridges if you can't decide on a color just yet.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Kinda wanting to get that Metropoliton but thinking about how much I write this would hardly ever get used. Going to have to think this over a bit and see if I want to start documenting stuff or something.

Bboy AJ

I bought a TWSBI Eco in 1.1. I'm going to return this Lamy Safari. Even if it writes well, I think it's ugly. I can't live with myself using it.

Edit: Nevermind. Canceled it. I didn't realize it's a twist off pen.

Isn't there a demonstrator pen, pop off cap, broad 1.1 nib? With a fill mechanism like the TWSBI. Sigh.

Nopren

Whats the problem with a twist-off?
I also have the TWSBI Eco 1.1, I love how it feels robust and purposeful to take the cap off.

I've been using a cheap Waterman fountain pen since 2009 (23€, I believe) I got to try how it compared to ballpoint and rollers. Compared to the hand / wrist pain I get after a long time using a ballpoint , it's a godsend. My handwriting is crap, but... It's comfortable.

Accoun

Kinda wanting to get that Metropoliton but thinking about how much I write this would hardly ever get used. Going to have to think this over a bit and see if I want to start documenting stuff or something.

Start a Myst marathon and use fountain pen for your notes. :)

kagete

My wife and I share this hobby and I think we have around 12 pens total. I know for sure that we have two Pilot Metropolitans and 3 TWSBI Ecos. I agree with Bagels about the Metro. Its price fluctuates between $11.50 to $16 on Amazon and it is practically unbeatable at that price range. I will say that the included pressplate converter is adequate for use. Our most expensive pen is a plasticky $80 Pilot Custom and hands down the $15 Metro is better designed and more premium feeling than that.

We would have bought more Metros if we didn't want more variety in our lineup. The Kakuno is also $15 with no included converter and it is pretty cute. I love that little thing man, it's like it's a cheerful little child fountain pen that's super fun and reliable. I have it inked up with Sailor Sky High which is my current favorite blue color.

We also have 4 TWSBIs (Mini 1.1, Eco 1.1 x2, Eco M) and the Mini no doubt feels twice as expensive as the Eco and definitely worth the extra $20-25. However, we prefer variety and I can't write with the cap unposted on the Mini like my wife does so we ended up with 3 Ecos. The construction of the plastic makes me feel that our Ecos will outlive the Mini. We almost bought a Vac Mini a few weeks ago but decided on our 3rd Eco instead.

The Eco is such a good value at its price because you don't need to buy a converter and it is easy to clean. We have 2 Lamy Safaris and 4 spare converters (2 dedicated to shimmering inks - Chivor and Purple Pazzaz) and while they are excellent writers, they aren't as smooth and cost almost $30 total to buy with one converter each after tax and shipping. Now we have a 4th Eco on the way from Amazon in ExtraFine.
At $31 shipped from Amazon for a clear demonstrator with super smooth nibs, I think they're a winner. They probably won't survive being dropped more than a few times but I think they are worth it.

toff74

Great thread.

I've been interested in a good set of pens for a while and whilst my writing isn't great you do get a certain feel from writing with non 'bic' stationary.

Problem being, i'm a leftie and I've always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with fountain pens. Smudging and plenty of inked up cuffs! Any advice?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I thought I was out, but this topic pulled me back in... I have a few inks in my Amazon shopping cart again... must resist...

My ever day note taker is a Pilot Decimo - the thinner version of the Vanishing Point. Filled up with rather plain but functional Pelikan 4001. Also have a nice Pelikan pen for journal use at home, although I don't know the model. Got a charcoal Lamy Safari in my bag in case I forget my pencil case. Also a few cheaper plastic pens lying around, don't use them very much now though...

I usually don't use fancier inks because I use fine point nibs, so I feel like the shading and colours wouldn't show as well. Might get a bottle of that P.W. Akkerman though, I love that bottle design! Anyone here use it before?

I've never tried that ink! Care to post a picture of what it looks like?

I've been writing with a kakuno for the past month. It's my first fountain pen. I got it out of curiosity for use with my Hobonichi Planner.

A coworker today wanted to sign something today and it was the only nearby pen, she said she's impressed and that she's really interested in pens. I didn't get it to be impressive (and it isn't the one to get for that) but it could be a good conversation starter.

I've read it isn't good for others to use a fountain pen since people write differently and it changes the nib. Is there much to that?

I had heard this too when I first started using fountain pens. I read up on the issue and it sounds like it's a big deal for vintage fountain pens, especially pens with gold nibs. A nib will be altered by your writing style over time, more so if it's a soft metal. This is not much of an issue with modern steel nibs, which are pretty firm. Modern gold nibs are supposed to hold their shape more, too.

In any case, a coworker writing a line or two is not a big deal. The issue is more having someone take your vintage pen and writing out a few pages of text.

I will say my 5-year-old wants to be like his dad (hopefully he'll grow out of that!), so yesterday he grabbed a few of my pens and started writing. He jams those suckers into the paper in a way that makes me hyperventilate.

Hey, Bagels. Thanks a lot for this write up. I've been considering buying a decent fountain pen for awhile, but I'm not sure what to buy. I wouldn't really use it very often -- I just want to buy one, and maybe try to write a bit more, and practice handwriting (Any tips or guides for this that you know about?).

Anyhow, it's between one of these -- I would really appreciate some tips about which to buy:

Waterman Graduate
Waterman Hemisphere
Parker I.M
Cross Bailey
Cross Classic Century
Sheaffer 100
Sheaffer 300
Sheaffer Sagaris
Diplomat Esteem
Diplomat Traveller
Lamy Al-Star
Lamy Logo
Lamy Safari
Lamy ST
Lamy Vista

If I buy Lamy Al-Star, Lamy Logo or Lamy Safari I'd probably also buy their ball-point and/or rollerball pen versions.

Hey! Got your message! I'm not sure I can give a great recommendation because I only have experience with a few of those Lamy pens. Is there a price point you are looking at? Any specific things about the pens? If I know more generally what you are looking for, I can probably help more.

That's the take-home! I'd try it with the cartridge first. If you like that, bottled inks open up so many options.

I have a couple Lamy Safaris I use at work and I really like them. And yeah, you do get some interesting comments from people who barely realize fountain pens are still even being made, let alone that people use them for daily work.

I've tried a lot of different types of paper and Mnemosyne has worked best for me. I have a few pads of the Rhodia paper and I find it smears the ink pretty bad if I'm dragging my hand across the page.

My one issue with the pens is refilling the ink. I use a piston type convertor in both pens. Even though I've been using them for quite a while, it's still impossible for me to do a full refill without getting at least some ink on my hands or the pen. I've heard of people using a syringe to refill the converter but taking a syringe to work doesn't sound like the best idea.

Mnemosyne does make some really nice paper. Are you a lefty? I'm right-handed and the way I hold a pen, my hand stays well below the line I am writing.

Goulet pens' syringes at least have flat tips, so they look less heroin-y.

How often does TWSBI make new models?

My impression is that they are picking up steam a bit. The Vac Mini came out not too long after they announced it. The limited edition 580s come out at a pretty good clip, too (green is up next!). New prototypes show up on their twitter, so that's the place to look.

I like having pens and inks (and pencils, etc) I love because it encourages me to write more. I do realize that I'm close to 35, so I'm from a generation that still wrote by hand for a long time before everything went digital. I've always preferred, but I realize it may be more novel to younger people.

I'm also big on keeping journals, like my Hobonichi Techo, so I don't really need to add on more ways to write by hand. Spending 20 bucks for a pen may ultimately be a waste if you just can't imagine yourself actually using it for anything.

I bought a TWSBI Eco in 1.1. I'm going to return this Lamy Safari. Even if it writes well, I think it's ugly. I can't live with myself using it.

Edit: Nevermind. Canceled it. I didn't realize it's a twist off pen.

Isn't there a demonstrator pen, pop off cap, broad 1.1 nib? With a fill mechanism like the TWSBI. Sigh.

Not big on the twist-off cap?

The Pilot Prera is a pop-off cap. You can see that mine has a clear barrel with a clear converter in it. That's a pseudo-demonstrator look. I think you'd like the Prera's CM nib.

If you are feeling adventurous, I think you can convert the Prera into an eyedropper pen. Eyedropper pens are pens where you directly fill the entire body with ink, often using an eyedropper. For the Prera, you'd need an O-ring to sit between the front and back sections of the pen to seal the ink in. That should not be too hard to find. A lot of people do this with Pilot Parallel Pens so they can have a huge amount of ink on board (the largest Parallel Pen goes through a lot of ink). I have the correct size O-rings on my TWSBIs so they should not be too hard to find.

My wife and I share this hobby and I think we have around 12 pens total. I know for sure that we have two Pilot Metropolitans and 3 TWSBI Ecos. I agree with Bagels about the Metro. Its price fluctuates between $11.50 to $16 on Amazon and it is practically unbeatable at that price range. I will say that the included pressplate converter is adequate for use. Our most expensive pen is a plasticky $80 Pilot Custom and hands down the $15 Metro is better designed and more premium feeling than that.

We would have bought more Metros if we didn't want more variety in our lineup. The Kakuno is also $15 with no included converter and it is pretty cute. I love that little thing man, it's like it's a cheerful little child fountain pen that's super fun and reliable. I have it inked up with Sailor Sky High which is my current favorite blue color.

We also have 4 TWSBIs (Mini 1.1, Eco 1.1 x2, Eco M) and the Mini no doubt feels twice as expensive as the Eco and definitely worth the extra $20-25. However, we prefer variety and I can't write with the cap unposted on the Mini like my wife does so we ended up with 3 Ecos. The construction of the plastic makes me feel that our Ecos will outlive the Mini. We almost bought a Vac Mini a few weeks ago but decided on our 3rd Eco instead.

The Eco is such a good value at its price because you don't need to buy a converter and it is easy to clean. We have 2 Lamy Safaris and 4 spare converters (2 dedicated to shimmering inks - Chivor and Purple Pazzaz) and while they are excellent writers, they aren't as smooth and cost almost $30 total to buy with one converter each after tax and shipping. Now we have a 4th Eco on the way from Amazon in ExtraFine.
At $31 shipped from Amazon for a clear demonstrator with super smooth nibs, I think they're a winner. They probably won't survive being dropped more than a few times but I think they are worth it.

Dang. That is some rel TWSBI love! I'm sort of the same way (although I ended up with 3 TWSBIs before the Eco came out. I have 6 total now) in that I love having inks on hand to use and I care more about how a pen writes than how it looks. I do think the TWSBI 580s, Diamond Minis, VAC 700s, and Vac Minis are worth the extra cost if that will be one of your main pens. They just look so nice! But I like having a 1.1 Eco for my Emerald of Chivor. The gold accumulates in the ink feed and although I have not had a problem with it yet, I imagine it will eventually junk up any pen I use it in. If the Eco dies, it's not big loss. The Vac Mini was a bit more of an investment.

The filling mechanism on the Vac pens is super cool! If you and/or your wife start thinking about another pen, I'd really recommend a Vac pen just for something a little different.

Great thread.

I've been interested in a good set of pens for a while and whilst my writing isn't great you do get a certain feel from writing with non 'bic' stationary.

Problem being, i'm a leftie and I've always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with fountain pens. Smudging and plenty of inked up cuffs! Any advice?

Let me see if I can find the links I had for lefties in the old thread. Plenty of lefties use fountain pens, but the problems with doing that are immediately obvious.

Top Bottom