• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a *new* copy of NFS Hot Pursuit - online code expired? [EA Responds]

Why don't you chill out, man? I was wrong about that, another poster pointed it out in a far more mature manner.

And that doesn't really alter my argument. I still think its a very minor inconvenience, and trying to get profit off used game sales for those that made the game is a cause I agree with. Code problems suck, and are annoying, but its part of modern gaming, just like day one patches and 100kb downloads.

And neuromancer has a point, but $10-15 million in "found revenue" is still a pretty good turnaround from what would have just been nothing to those who buy the game used.
Well that much for a huge company like EA I don't think makes much of a difference. There's no way to know what the costs of the online pass have been in terms of people developing the system, them marketing the system to make people aware of it, manufacturing the stupid little cards, coordinating the codes with the console owners, etc. I have a feeling the whole thing has just been a wash.

Granted this may come as hypocritical because his company does online passes too, but I thought this was a very interesting interview with THQ's Danny Bilson, where he talks about possible benefits from the used game business:

DB: ...There are so many ways that people experience games outside of the premium buying it for $60. Used games spread the content across a wider audience also, so you hope that the audience grows. When the next one comes out, they all line up to buy it at premium price the first day.

WP: So you're not one of those game publishers that thinks used games are the worst thing to happen to the industry?

DB: I really can't comment on that.
Combined with Gamestop's own reports that the majority of used game trade in credit goes towards new games, I question the effectiveness of any of this stuff.

Megasoum

Banned
What?

A-Z,0-9 across 12 digits = 4.73838134×10^18 combinations

Even ruling out similar looking characters, you'd still have more combinations than people on earth. These codes only need to be unique per game, not completely unique across all games.

Well actually the codes need to be unique across all games since you enter them on a unique system (XBL/PSN)... So if it was unique per game you could end up in theory with the same code with 2 seperate games. XBL/PSN wouldn't be able to know which online pass to give you.

Obviously that doesn't change the fact that there is still way more combinations available than potential customers.

In what way is it a scam? Pay for online access if you buy used, thats what Gamestop has done to the industry. And the gaf hivemind wants you to buy new to make sure developers profit from the sale.

This guy got a faulty code. EA is working to correct his issue and will assuredly offer him some discounts/bonuses for his trouble. This is how customer service works. Its an EA customer service issue. There is no scam.

When said customer service is continuosly denying you a working code, telling you to suck it up and redirecting your calls to a real estate agent (I shit you not) then yes, it is a scam.
Even after proof of purchase EA is still not providing him with a working code.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
And yet people still ask why people wish EA's Origin store crashed and burned.

Remember, if EA fucks you over it is your fault for purchasing their product and using their services.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
And if youre gonna let this minor, 10 second inconvenience prevent you from playing fantastic games like Uncharted, Battlefield, etc. Then you're just cheating yourself on a misguided vendetta that won't change anything.

I know my opinion is unpopular, but I'm just being realistic.
In cases like this, reality is mutable. If people speak with their wallets, the companies absolutely must listen or else they'll go out of business.

Saying suck it up because you're "being realistic" denies the fundamental nature of the business/consumer relationship.

bananas

Banned
Wait, so if I buy Arkham City late, will I be locked out of the Catwoman Story Mode even if I buy new?

If so, Online Passes just went way up on my shit list.

I kinda wish I didn't enter my code in, as the Catwoman parts of the game weren't fun at all.

Catwoman from Batman: AC says "hello!"

Also, Rage.

Which is why I didn't buy it. (Or Batman, for that matter)

This is some awful shit and I honestly missed the disclaimers about their expiration periods.

I went from hating project 10 dollar to loathing it though. Horray!

Jamesways

Yep, it's definitely invading SP content.

That REALLY sucks. I hope that's not the wave of the future.
"You paid for the case and disk, you need to pay for the code to actually play the game, even offline".

That's right up there with the whole kicked off the forum now you can't play the game you paid for thing too.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
In cases like this, reality is mutable. If people speak with their wallets, the companies absolutely must listen or else they'll go out of business.

Saying suck it up because you're "being realistic" denies the fundamental nature of the business/consumer relationship.

Exactly. People have forgotten that at the end of the day we the consumer have the power to change things. So many get to thinking that gee we can't change it so why bother. It's been proven we can though. Look at the things just this year that consumers have changed or put a stop to by just saying no and voting with our wallets. Also for me at the end of the day even if we don't succeed I can hold my head high by saying you know what I took a stand. I stood for something I believed in. Sure it's not world changing but it's something no matter how small.

For me if that means I'm not spending my money on a game that has them then so be it. If that means buying a game used for 10 bucks years down the line then so be it. I will do it. It isn't like there aren't plenty of other games to keep me busy. Hell Let's take Batman Arkham City. Turns out the PC version comes with the content without having to use stupid ass codes and shit. So when it goes on sale via Steam for 10 bucks or so I'll buy it unless someone buys me it as a gift for Christmas. Uncharted isn't that hard. I've never much cared for that series. Not my cup of tea. EA games. I don't miss em to be honest. That's the honest truth too. I don't. I have plenty of other games to play that I enjoy the hell out of. So it's not like by not playing these games right now or at all I'm going to suffer. I'm having plenty of fun with the tons of games I do have to play and others coming down the road which won't have online passes.

Zomba13

My mathematical skills aside, and I was the first to admit I should have researched that comment before making it, the point I'm trying to make:

"Boycotting" any game with an online pass will only cheat you, the gamer, out of some of the finest experiences you can have on a console. Online passes are here to stay thanks to Gamestop and similar outlets. Taking 10 seconds to enter a code the first time you boot your game is no big deal. It is now something we all have to deal with. I feel bad for the OP, but as he pointed out, its not even a problem with the code, its EA's servers, and I'm sure they'll reward him for his patience with the matter.

Don't pass on great games like Uncharted because you're opposed to the online pass. There are more important things to get upset about.

True, so why don't you stop defending this sort of bullshit and help right the wrongs in this world?

I really hate that whole line of thinking. That just because there are more important things in life we can't get upset or annoyed about things that affect our hobby.

Anyway, this whole online pass shit is bullshit of the highest degree and doubly so when they expire just a year after release. Some of the stuff doesn't affect me too much as I mostly buy games on the PC if I can and you can't really get second hand copies of PC games but it's still bullshit.

inky

True, so why don't you stop defending this sort of bullshit and help right the wrongs in this world?

I really hate that whole line of thinking. That just because there are more important things in life we can't get upset or annoyed about things that affect our hobby.

Hey man, he is right. I am sure there are more worthy causes everywhere. Why stop only the complaining in a videogame forum? Let's all follow TeethMummy's example and get upset about starving children or the economy, in fact, let's quit playing videogames altogether, that is time we could spend being charitable or keeping up with his true perspective, I mean, it's not like he's here in a videogame forum complaining about complainers, because that sure is a better use of his time, he's making the world a better place, so let's follow his example. Gee.

So many get to thinking that gee we can't change it so why bother. It's been proven we can though. Look at the things just this year that consumers have changed or put a stop to by just saying no and voting with our wallets. Also for me at the end of the day even if we don't succeed I can hold my head high by saying you know what I took a stand. I stood for something I believed in. Sure it's not world changing but it's something no matter how small.

Even sufficient internet outrage has convinced some companies to reconsider stuff, but I agree. Those companies only want your money, so one way to ensure your voice is heard is not giving it to them, whatever few it may be. I like your line of thinking.

Apdiddy

Having read the OP, I thought "Oh crap! I need to check my copy of NFS: Hot Pursuit!"

I can confirm that my online pass for NFS: Hot Pursuit (that I bought new) doesn't work either as did the online pass given to me over the phone.

Damn me for having OTHER games to play and important stuff like working a job to do.

I thought that online passes were to prevent used games sales....

No biggie for me, I just have to wait until the games cost about 5-10$ whereas before I've waited until the prices drop to between 10 and 20 bucks.

Things like this make me wonder why I'm still not a pirate.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Destructoid too

Also, glad I sold my Hot Pursuit online pass on ebay for like $8 last year lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, gotta grab Alice 2 soon to activate my freebie Alice 1 post-haste!

Terrible though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
yeah, it's pretty common for EA

Dragon Age DLC codes were expiring in about 6 months too and keys for Origin games (according to russian EA) expire in a month.

Shadow90

Neo Member
i didn't used my Code for FIFA12 cuz i don't play online and i may sell it used later ... but now they say it's my expire ? screw you EA ! and the expire thing happened to me before, i bought DA origins NEW but i couldn't use my freaking new codes .
you *f%$#ing ea* make the codes a big deal that other companies adapt it, and now you make it working for just 1 year or less ... SCREW YOU again !

fernoca

Though it must be pretty slow news-day, when it was known for years that this online passes (of sorts) expired. Even those old-ass Joust, Geometry Wars, XBLA-Cards, etc. from Xbox Live had expiration dates...most still work anyway.

Even the Cerberus Network cards from Mass Effect 2 had expiration dates of January 2012:

apxvU.png

Plus the articles failed to mention that the Xbox 360 owners weren't reporting problems with their codes, and the ones that had problems were (for the most part) on PS3/PSN and even got new codes...which didn't worked; which seems to be some kind of PSN/EA problem ..of sorts.

In the end, while it would be cool if this codes didn't had any expiration, they kinda do it to avoid the people hoarding codes of limited edition stuff, etc.; to sell them on eBay later. And as noted, (even when some had to go through some hazzle and problems) they do give new codes...just that in this cases the codes (in PSN) didn't worked.

I am one of those few forum goers who doesn't mind online codes for certain parts of certain titles, but not when they use it to exploit the gamer to this extent

Himself

Just checked my Yakuza 4, which I haven't played yet, and the online pass expires in 2016. I should be able to get around to it by then.

Game Informer checking in although they seem to think you can just get a new code from EA that'll actually work, which doesn't sound to be the case in reality.

While EA says that some games do indeed have Online Passes with expiration dates, getting a new code or redownloading a defunct one is free. It's good that no extra financial burden is put on folks who bought the game new, but entering in a code is pesky enough without having to track down EA for help.

So don't panic if you crack open a new copy of a game that's been on the shelves for awhile -- your right to play online is still valid, but you have to attain a new code directly from EA.

???

Yawnier

Banned
Dang, I received a copy of this game from last Christmas and I didn't redeem my online pass either, so when did the online passes for this game expire?

fernoca

Game Informer checking in although they seem to think you can just get a new code from EA that'll actually work, which doesn't sound to be the case in reality.

???
Well, the new codes ware supposed to work and has worked for other people in prior situations; just seems that in this case there's some kind of issue with the PS3 codes. Even someone earlier tried a 360 code afraid it wouldn't work and worked just fine.

Pachinko

I'm eagerly anticipating when all games simply have an online subscription , you know, go out and buy madden 2014 for xbox 1080 for 79.99 and an additional 19.99 for the EA super pass for 12 months of free roster updates and online play, then the following year you can "upgrade" to 2015 madden for just 39.99 if you bought the super pass or just go buy a new game disc.

And even better, when the catwoman DLC thing will be seen as a first baby step in the future world of paying 79.99 for say uncharted 5 and only getting half the game on the disc with the other half being dolled out over 12 months for 10 bucks a stage.

:(

Well, the new codes ware supposed to work and has worked for other people in prior situations; just seems that in this case there's some kind of issue with the PS3 codes. Even someone earlier tried a 360 code afraid it wouldn't work and worked just fine.
Oh OK thanks.

Cels

Update - (old post here) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33127409&postcount=168

EA got back to me in an e-mail. That person gave me another code to try, which didn't work. I told him this, and his reply:

Hello,

Thank you for your speedy reply to my email this morning.

It would appear as though we are having some problems with our online pass codes this morning. I am so sorry for any trouble this has caused you.

I have gone ahead and sent this up to our next level of support so you can receive the best support possible within a timely manner.

I thank you for your time today and ask that you be patient while the high support have a chance to review this issue and get back to you as soon as they can. I wish i could give you a ETA as to when to hear from them, but I do not have that information.

I wish you a happy holidays and thank you again for your time with me.

So now I'm waiting for their "next level of support" to get back to me, hopefully sometime early next week.

Top Bottom