• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Ixion

As someone how likes bands likes and doesnt like excessive shouting :

-AElement (dnb/rock genre mix)
-Disturbed
-Eisbrecher
-Five Finger Death Punch
-Korn
-Limp Bizkit
-Of Mice & Men (newer Stuff)
-POD
-Rise Against
-Sevendust
-Skindred
-System of a Down

What bands would you recommend me?

Here's an under appreciated Nu Metal gem you might like:

Pegasos123

I'm a little confused what you're asking for. If you want no screaming, Iron Maiden?

i didnt say no screaming. i just dont like over excessive use of shouting and growling. for example i like restoring forces from mice & men .. but i dont like there older albums.

-Disturbed
-Eisbrecher
-Five Finger Death Punch
-Korn
-Limp Bizkit
-POD
-Rise Against
-Sevendust
-Skindred
-System of a Down

Bobaflex would be my first recommendation. They aren't nu metal, but they are a more radio-friendly metal band with no shouting. Iced Earth are another one you might want to check. Nonpoint too. They're still putting out music. Trivium too, both old and new. I prefer them after Shogun and not before, so that's where I'd start.

Amaranthe might be another one to check out. It's a fun mix of sounds, though once again, not nu metal.

If you're into power metal, I got some recs there. Lot of clean singing to be had with some really fun guitar, though none of it's as gritty sounding as some of the stuff you've posted

i didnt say no screaming. i just dont like over excessive use of shouting and growling. for example i like restoring forces from mice & men .. but i dont like there older albums.

Sonic Syndicate/The Unguided might be worth a look then. They do a fairly even split. Start with Hell Frost by The Unguided and Only Inhuman by Sonic Syndicate. They're the same band save like one member. Record labels had them disband and come back or some nonsense.

Mudvayne? I don't think you'll find any fans of the music you are into, sorry.
I actually like quite a few of the bands he named.

e_i

The riff at the end of If Not Us, Then Who by Power Trip makes me wet. The whole song is awesome, the but the last half is amazing.

choodi

Banned

-Disturbed
-Eisbrecher
-Five Finger Death Punch
-Korn
-Limp Bizkit
-POD
-Rise Against
-Sevendust
-Skindred
-System of a Down

What do you consider excessive shouting?

Cattle Decap kinda sucks live. Dissapointed.
Really? Might've had an off night but that sucks to hear

I've seen them 3 or 4 times now, always enjoy them but they haven't been as good as the first time I saw them in 2012 (when they basically just played Monolith in full)

Don't think their last album comes anywhere close to Monolith and it seems they play a lot of it

bebop242

Really? Might've had an off night but that sucks to hear

I've seen them 3 or 4 times now, always enjoy them but they haven't been as good as the first time I saw them in 2012 (when they basically just played Monolith in full)

Don't think their last album comes anywhere close to Monolith and it seems they play a lot of it

Yea most of the set was the last album, which I like so that wasn't really my problem. Their performance was just a mess. When they were able to hold it together it sounded pretty good but then it would unravel and just be sloppy.

Going down the rabbit hole of obscure/whatever bands I tend to neglect the classics. Occasionally I'll come back and be like "oh right, this rules".

Today's "oh right" : Sepultura - Schizophrenia

Yea most of the set was the last album, which I like so that wasn't really my problem. Their performance was just a mess. When they were able to hold it together it sounded pretty good but then it would unravel and just be sloppy.
That really blows. They're usually very tight live. (Can't say I love them adding a second guitarist but whatever)

This is a pretty alright live vid of them

Going down the rabbit hole of obscure/whatever bands I tend to neglect the classics. Occasionally I'll come back and be like "oh right, this rules".

Today's "oh right" : Sepultura - Schizophrenia

Pretty solid album, I used to listen to Schizophrenia quite often. Inquisition Symphony is a killer instrumental track. However the whole album is completely overshadowed and fucked by riffs on the next album.... :)

Pretty solid album, I used to listen to Schizophrenia quite often. Inquisition Symphony is a killer instrumental track. However the whole album is completely overshadowed and fucked by riffs on the next album.... :)

Never forget:

"In short... the universe is a midget, and this album rapes it so hard that Stephen Hawking learns how to walk again. And that's all I have to say about that."

Bitanator

I prefer Schizophrenia over Beneath the Remains, it is still so raw and has enough punch from hitters like "To the Wall" to stand up with anything in their discography

SOME-MIST

I saw cattle decapitation at robot mosh fest 2006 and robot mosh fest 2007 and they were pretty tight :O

would have loved to see them with gabe serbian

Nopren

-Disturbed
-Eisbrecher
-Five Finger Death Punch
-Korn
-Limp Bizkit
-POD
-Rise Against
-Sevendust
-Skindred
-System of a Down

If you want to go down the metalcore-route then try Unearth - The Oncoming Storm and Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache.

And if you are looking for more in the vein of Rise Against and melodic hardcore then try Ignite - Our Darkest Days and Strung Out - Transmission​.​Alpha​.​Delta.

-Disturbed
-Eisbrecher
-Five Finger Death Punch
-Korn
-Limp Bizkit
-POD
-Rise Against
-Sevendust
-Skindred
-System of a Down

You could try some European symphonic metal like Epica, Amaranthe or Nightwish if you don't like growling. Or as someone else suggested, Metalcore like Killswitch Engage, As I lay Dying, Wovenwar, Unearth or Mutiny Within. Or Machinehead or Avatar. Or Sabaton if you want a fun history lesson

Or southern Metal like Black Stone Cherry, Shamans Harvest or Monster Truck.

or some Traditioanal rock bands like Rev Theory, Red Line Chemistry, Highly Suspect, Royal Blood, The pretty reckless or Kaleo.

Or of course, 90s grunge.

Anders Björler has quit At The Gates.
Not terribly surprising

They've been a festival band since their reunion, put out their mediocre comeback album that no one cared about, and stayed a festival band

I'm sure at a certain point it becomes tiring, even if you can make decent money from it

Had really high hopes for the album, really liked the first song they put out but then it came out and every song was just the same thing. Pretty much every song had an intro and it felt super bloated. Only other interesting song was like Heroes and Tombs because it's weirdly a beatdown hardcore song lol

-Disturbed
-Eisbrecher
-Five Finger Death Punch
-Korn
-Limp Bizkit
-POD
-Rise Against
-Sevendust
-Skindred
-System of a Down

Stuck Mojo

Wormrot (grindcore from Singapore) announced their U.S. tour dates. It'll be their first time touring here since 2011. They're great live. Check them out if you can.

17098314_10158278158385640_4338841175411246183_n.jpg

Quikies83

Ahhh hell yah!!

Just got tickets to see Every Time I die in Memphis, TN for May 2nd
Also grabbed tickets to Periphery, The Contortionist (my fav), and Norma Jean.

Super stoked to see ETID and The Contortionist

SOME-MIST

just make sure not to try and take a selfie with ETID on stage :p

I bought my tickets for chicago and it'll be the 7th time I've seen them since 2003 :)
easily the band I've seen most live

It's been a slow year so far, nothing is really catching my attention. No new atmospheric BM, or Folk/Pagan, or even in the genres I'm just kind of into like prog or DM. Not that I've found anyway.

Full Of Hell - Deluminate

Song is good but I'm not sure I love the production. Will probably sound much better on actual speakers (or my car speakers where i do most of my music listening) but it doesn't sound too great on my laptop speakers. Drums kind of sound buried?

Top Bottom