• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

show me the absolute WORST character design you can think of

I don't think that's his default costume. This is the one from the profile page on the official site:

Yeah. Much better. They still kind of screw it up with the chin strap though.

Sonic Boom had some strange interpretation of how Sonic and friends should look. Knuckles in particular just looks terrible.
I just don't bother participating in these, but I seriously don't get what's so bad about the Sonic Boom interpretations, separate your thoughts of them from the game, they all look fine. They come from the fighting game school of character design where the most important traits of the characters are made clear from the design immediately.
Knuckles - he's big and strong, he exists to punch things
Tails - he's the fucking mechanic, he makes gadgets and does the plane. This interpretation is way better than any other interpretation of him in the series, besides maybe the OVA where he has the aviator helmet, which fits him well.
Amy - actually improving upon her by making her have a proper battle outfit, her hammer is always featured
Sonic is the only one it doesn't matter for because he literally just speaks for himself. He was changed merely to fit with the others, and not a single part of it is offensive

also "What The forest Taught Me" you know you can quote multiple things at once? no need for 3 in a row posts.

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong them. They're just slightly different than recent interpretations. Ok, Knuckles is a little more than "slightly", but it totally makes sense for a character who punches a lot and differentiates him from Sonic really well.

low-G

maxresdefault.jpg

What game is this, fantastic character design.

I see it's the new Prey demo. Lookin' good!

Javier

Any character in a Rare game that consists of "Object/Vegetable/Fruit + Eyes = ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL"

Vena

i think her zero suit juxtaposes her normal chozo battlesuit aesthetic really nicely. not only is she a stoic, immovable bad ass that can do anything, but shes a hot babe, too. shes like the female version of superman; that strong, attractive, awesome power fantasy kinda ideal figure. you also get to see how nimble she really is

its easy to abuse, i.e. other M, but i think its neat overall

I mean, part of the whole thing with Samus is that she's a very literal titanic figure (in stature, strength, and threat) in the lore or Metroid. She's not a human babe, she's not even really human.

Especially not after Fusion.

Dervius

I played this game four times and I didn't even see this guy once

Isn't it just the cover example of what you can make in the character creator?

While not the greatest individual design it repr3sents their artvstyle and the things you can do in the character creator really quite accurately.

blazblues very own makoto squirrelfuck

1415374-makotofight.jpg

her stupid battle outfit is fucking disgusting and there arent a lot of things i hate more on this earth than it. damn it to hell, it makes no fucking sense, and even her little weapons look like a child came up with them

You know what's even sadder? She has a much better design that's only ever used in story mode and pre-fight intros.

Maledict

New Dante aint sexy in any world.

Going to hazard a guess that you're a straight guy? Because it's been pointed out numerous times that as an objective piece of character design, the Dante we got in the final game was hot as hell. Now, he might not be your type (he is very college twink looking which isn't to everyone's taste), but there's no denying he's a sexy guy.

gngf123

v8xKbWG.jpg

Nier

The main character was quite ugly

Papa Nier is great!

He isn't supposed to be some attractive superhero main character. He is a roughed up dad forced to fight with absolutely no training because he wants to save his daughter.

His ugliness is intentional.

Going to hazard a guess that you're a straight guy? Because it's been pointed out numerous times that as an objective piece of character design, the Dante we got in the final game was hot as hell. Now, he might not be your type (he is very college twink looking which isn't to everyone's taste), but there's no denying he's a sexy guy.

I'm pansexual and I'm definitely denying. Dude looks straight up hideous to me.

Ebisumaru

Neo Member
From what I remember, Tonic Trouble was made specifically as a way for the Rayman devs to get a handle on 3D platforming before making Rayman 2, so it was effectively a game made solely for practice.

I think you're totally right. Best to mess with this not-so-good character than to do it with Rayman. Not a very good design however.

I really hate PS360Wii era JRPG character designs.

The Last Remnant's Emma Honeywell is a great design though. It certainly also helps that there is such a dearth of good older (well, "older" in relative terms, because a woman in her forties may as well be on her death bed in JRPGs) female characters let alone ones that do take up the blade, take action and hold a prestigious title based on their merits alone.
And of course they kill her off and essentially replace her with a younger woman just like that.

I really hate PS360Wii era JRPG character designs.

Xenoblade and The Last Story characters

These are all from different games. They look like FFX NPCs. Everyone is completely overdesigned, and it lacks any sense of artistic or thematic cohesion. I can't tell anything about the characters or the world they inhabit. Compare this to something like Final Fantasy VII, a game where you instantly get a sense of the character's personality and the atmosphere of the world simply from their designs. Even something like FFXV, a game often criticized for its artistic direction, still manages to convey a sense of the game's setting and atmosphere. These pictures are just visual gibberish. The faded color palette does it no favors either.

Oh hell to the no! I don't love all of them certainly but over all this stuff is great. If you want to see over designed, look at some of the armor sets in Xenoblade X. I'm in the process of drawing some of that and my daily mantra is "gotta figure out how to simplify this shit, because there's something really good under there.

canedaddy

What's with Remember Me and new Lara Croft? I guess it's a thing now that attractive female characters are "terrible design." smh

The obvious correct answer to this question is Nooj.

jayvo

Nilin from Remember Me, Zero Suit Samus and Juri are some of the worst that some of you can actually think of?? The worst???

hakan-ssf4-select.png

Is there a reason for Hakan looking so hedious? At least Blanka and the freaks in Street Fighter III have some backstory.
He's a very buff Turkish wrestler who lathers himself in oil before grabbing his opponents tightly and squeezing them.

Surely you can understand that if they didn't make him look like a cartoon, that might be getting a little too graphic for a game rated T.

Not that that justifies it, just saying.

PillarEN

I've got this one.

Horace from his series of ZX Spectrum games.

4idJHKy.jpg

I can understand the in-game character being bad, as 8-bit computers were pretty limited, but that's the packaging art.

This is secretly awesome. I love how they just popped some skis on him and called it a day. Smooth.

Lucio - Overwatch. Or should i say Overdesigned. Some of his alternates are fine, but the default is just as awful as that FF Tactics character tbh.

189px-Lucio-portrait.png

Haeleos

Any new character in Street Fighter V, including what they did to Nash, but especially whatever they thought they were trying to do with Necalli. Necalli might be one of the worst characters from visuals to voice acting to characterization to backstory I have ever seen.

At first, I thought Hakan from SF4 was pretty bizarre, but he actually grew on me and I think he's a pretty good fit now and one of my favorite characters. Because of that I tried to let the new SFV characters sink in but they are just categorically irredeemable.

StoneFox

As a woman, old Dante was ten times sexier than Donte because Donte is a greasy garbage bin of a character design. He's just so gross looking.

rackham

All of the Final Fantasy XV designs. Everything is just awful on everyone. How in the fuck did that happen?

Top Bottom