• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The way Rockstar does in-game sprinting has got to change for RDR2.

swarley64

It started as a bug in GTA3 didn't it? You could run forever in GTA3 if you kept hammering the button but that wasn't actually intentional

Warablo

I hated it because you can't control the camera as your jogging or sprinting. Luckily, I have an Elite Controller now.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't it in like, GTA3 that you held the X to run but if you mashed it you could infinitely run?

Van Bur3n

They did it perfectly in Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer. When you move normally you're just running, hold down X/A for sprinting, push the stick slowly to walk.

Oddly enough, this wasn't the case for RDR's single player where you had to continuously tap X/A to sprint traditional Rockstar style.

Anth0ny

I hated it because you can't control the camera as your jogging or sprinting. Luckily, I have an Elite Controller now.

I don't think you can do this in Red Dead, but in GTA5 I changed sprint to RB on the 360 controller, which is a lot more comfortable imo and allows you to sprint with your index finger and use your right thumb to press a button/control camera.

Rockstar's movement controls need a complete overhaul. The way it works now is:
- Touch the analogue stick at all = walk at exactly one speed
- Analogue stick + hold the A button = jog
- Analogue stick + mash the A button = run

Unless you're a mutant with two thumbs on your right hand, this means that you can't move above walking speed and move the camera around at the same time. This is an irritating oversight I noticed within moments of starting up GTA IV back in 2008, and still hasn't been fixed in any Rockstar game nine years later. You have to claw your controller, or awkwardly stop jogging every time you want to look in a different direction, or just go everywhere at walking speed, purely because Rockstar designed a shitty control scheme.

All this goes away if they just use the analogue stick as an analogue stick. Just give me a smooth curve from walking to running depending on how far I push the stick, like almost every other game. It frees up a button on the controller, it instantly makes the character feel better to control; at this point I don't think Rockstar's going to make any games that actually feel good under your thumbs, but there's no reason why they have to feel as bad as they currently do.

Stiler

I agree, it's tiresome and repetitive and simply doesn't add anything to the game.

Horizon style running would be great imo.You run with the right joystick, click it to sprint and can even "let go" of the click and Aloy keeps sprinting until you stop moving.

It's simple, works great, and running never feels like a burden or tiresome.

Zelda BOTW sprint wheel I don't care for, I don't want to see a circle in the middle of my screen constantly going up and down, that's annoying as heck.

I mean, I agree, but I still don't know what that has to do with my post that you responded to.

This?
What game did I play recently that refilled your stamina meter if you released the button just before it ran out?

Somebody help me out here. I thought it was a pretty neat mechanic and for the life of me I can't remember what game it was.

I didn't know FFXV did it too so that is where confusion lies.

Ashtar

Personally I think any input that involves rapidly mashing a button should be done away with, it hurts my hand and I feel like I'm damaging my controller with my inhuman strength.
I would love if rdr 2 had good character movement and aiming it'd be the goat, I tried to play rdr again atmosphere is perfect but controls and aiming are so meh

100% agreed with OP. That sprint button mashing is stupid. Also keep stamina system in souls like games please. Remove it from rest of the games.

watershed

Banned
I agree, it's tiresome and repetitive and simply doesn't add anything to the game.

Horizon style running would be great imo.You run with the right joystick, click it to sprint and can even "let go" of the click and Aloy keeps sprinting until you stop moving.

It's simple, works great, and running never feels like a burden or tiresome.

Zelda BOTW sprint wheel I don't care for, I don't want to see a circle in the middle of my screen constantly going up and down, that's annoying as heck.

I like everything about the Zelda sprint system except how the green circle stays right next to Link in the center of the screen. It just uglies up the screen. The circle(s) should be placed permanently beneath the hearts corner.

Nazo

Yeah, I have to agree. I tried to do some of those marathon things in GTAV and they went well until I got to big triathlon thing at the and lordy I thought my fucking thumb was going to fall off. I couldn't even beat it. I seriously don't know how they expect a normal human being to manage that. It's insane.

They should go all the way and make you mash two different buttons one after the other to simulate the actual act of sprinting. It'd be so real.

selo

Super agree. I actually ruined my xbox one controller while playing gta v on PC, those cursed thriatlons :(

Tevious

They should just get rid of the "jog" from holding the button down and replace that with the sprint. When do you ever need to jog?

Or reverse the controls. If you want to jog, you have to tap the sprint button repeatedly and running would just be holding the button down. Makes more sense that way.

GTAV in first-person has the perfect control scheme: walk-to-jog is a smooth analogue curve with just the stick, and you click L3 to sprint. I don't know why they still don't let you do that in third-person.

I way prefer playing first person for that and other reasons. Mainly because it's so atmospheric.

Unfortunately it being a cover based shooter puts you at a pretty big disadvantage when playing on first person.

Analogs have like 256 points of speed possibility, let's use a button to run.

Mario 64 got it right yet we can't let players use analogs and get use to their depth.

How about no sprint button at all.

I don't agree with your reasoning in other games. Pressing a button over and over to open a door isn't very intuitive either.

Anth0ny

GTAV in first-person has the perfect control scheme: walk-to-jog is a smooth analogue curve with just the stick, and you click L3 to sprint. I don't know why they still don't let you do that in third-person.

Yup, it's super weird. You actually move faster in first person than third person as well.

Try running up steps in first person. you fucking fly.

I hadn't played a GTA in yeeeears for real when GTA V came out.

I uhh...didn't know I could click to sprint until about 2/3 through the game.

I way prefer playing first person for that and other reasons. Mainly because it's so atmospheric.

Unfortunately it being a cover based shooter puts you at a pretty big disadvantage when playing on first person.

You can change it in the option so that cover and rolls flip you back to third. Very convenient. Best of both worlds.

I think we need to try and let go of unrealistic vs realistic. In almost every game you die and respawn through checkpoints or otherwise. That's not realistic. Being shot 10 times and still having 30% of your health bar in games is not realistic. If you're going to nitpick about realism, nitpick it all. lol

Absolutely, it's unnecessary busywork just for the sake of it. Not to mention it leads to an eventual premature destruction of the X/A button 😛

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I mean, I agree, but Rockstar loves their sprint controls and by all reports considers "tap A" to not just be superior to any other scheme but to be sort of a "Rockstar trademark." I would be floored if RDR2 changes that in any way.

SugarDave

Agreed. It's not even a nitpick either, it's an action that requires you to claw grip the controller if you want to be able to turn the camera quickly at the same time as sprinting. Completely unnecessary and adds nothing.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
They need to update every aspect of actual gameplay. From animation, running and gunning - jumping to the actual control scheme.

Feels like these guys haven't played a game other then their own for over a decade. MGSV >>> GTAV in every gameplay related aspect.

Completely agree.Their running system really has grown long in the tooth.

For such a prolific studio, there are some questionable design decisions. For instance, why is auto aim still a thing in Rockstar's games? Their aiming system segments the online player base in favor of auto aim. The Max Payne 3 team needs to share their free aim tech as well; it has the best third person aiming to this day imo.

Ellite25

The way Rockstar does aiming and shooting compared to Uncharted or The Last of Us needs to change. The way Rockstar does horrible character movement compared to Uncharted or The Lasf of Us needs to change. Basically, a Rockstar world with Uncharted or The Last of Us shooting mechanics and animation would be a GOAT game that I would love to play.
I agree with you. Better character movement and shooting. At least make the shooting as good as the last Max Payne game.

Fisty

They really needed to get some of the User Interface folks from MGSV over at Rockstar. Their games might be more fun to play if they didn't feel like you're controlling a PS2 character

chrixter

Rockstar's movement controls need a complete overhaul. The way it works now is:
- Touch the analogue stick at all = walk at exactly one speed
- Analogue stick + hold the A button = jog
- Analogue stick + mash the A button = run

Unless you're a mutant with two thumbs on your right hand, this means that you can't move above walking speed and move the camera around at the same time. This is an irritating oversight I noticed within moments of starting up GTA IV back in 2008, and still hasn't been fixed in any Rockstar game nine years later. You have to claw your controller, or awkwardly stop jogging every time you want to look in a different direction, or just go everywhere at walking speed, purely because Rockstar designed a shitty control scheme.

All this goes away if they just use the analogue stick as an analogue stick. Just give me a smooth curve from walking to running depending on how far I push the stick, like almost every other game. It frees up a button on the controller, it instantly makes the character feel better to control; at this point I don't think Rockstar's going to make any games that actually feel good under your thumbs, but there's no reason why they have to feel as bad as they currently do.
100% agreed. Limiting your movement speed to just walking speed when using only the analog stick might be my biggest pet peeve in gaming. Troublingly, it's not just GTA and RDR. Assassin's Creed (the early games, at least - haven't played any recent ones), the Batman: Arkham series, and Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor have all adopted this (Naughty Dog games also do this, but only during specific sections... still annoying, though). The decision is so baffling to me because it nearly ruins my entire experience with games that do this.

Xe4

Banned
Yup. It was a garbage mechanic as far back as GTA 4, and by 5 it was pretty much inexcusable. If they put it in RDR2, that'll suck.

They need to completely rehaul the combat mechanics as well, though it wasn't as bad in RDR as the GTA games.

Top Bottom