• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

Honestly, white belts shouldn't be focusing on submissions at all. Control and defense should be your priorities.

You guys don't really have offensive games to speak of and most of your subs will come on people less skilled than you are. I would echo that same advice to a lot of blue belts as well to be honest. At blue, your offensive game goes from "None of speak of" to "One dimensional and easily exploited".

Agreed, which is why my professor mostly has me concentrate on trying to escape and defend. It's fun when you think of it as a puzzle and something to solve.

Honestly, white belts shouldn't be focusing on submissions at all. Control and defense should be your priorities.

You guys don't really have offensive games to speak of and most of your subs will come on people less skilled than you are. I would echo that same advice to a lot of blue belts as well to be honest. At blue, your offensive game goes from "None of speak of" to "One dimensional and easily exploited".

Yeah that's what I'm gonna try and focus on for now. Defend, escape, reset.

Positives from tonight's session: when I was in someones guard, a instead of being a dummy and going for a cross collar i hot into combat base, postured up, and stopped all sweep attempts, and didn't get my posture broken.
Survived 5 minutes with a 4 stripe WB without getting tapped too. I'm pretty sure he was toying with me but hey I still survived!

*smiles proudly*

You're doing it. You're no stripes, right?

I talked to my professor about my weight lifting regimen and he said that it was bad and I should lift on off days. I worry about soreness when lifting as well as doing bjj. How sore are you guys if you lift on off days and when you do bjj? BJJ is my focus. Weights is just supplemental to give me more strength.

*smiles proudly*

You're doing it. You're no stripes, right?

I talked to my professor about my weight lifting regimen and he said that it was bad and I should lift on off days. I worry about soreness when lifting as well as doing bjj. How sore are you guys if you lift on off days and when you do bjj? BJJ is my focus. Weights is just supplemental to give me more strength.

Thanks Cindi! Yup no stripes at the moment.

For me I only gym on my off days. I do BJJ Tuesday's and Thursday, gym Friday and Sunday. And occasionally do open mat on Saturday

Saw this today. Jenna Marbles has a boyfriend who does BJJ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkvTpmQ7M48

One of the things I enjoy a lot about BJJ that it is easy to start new projects. I learned from some of the people in my gym early on, that it could be a real boon to decide conciously what to focus on. Every class there is a new technique and usually I've forgotten it by the next week if I don't keep doing it and doing it. So what I will do is to do the techniques we learn in class, but then in sparring at the end of class I have one thing I keep doing.

Right now I'm studying Bernandos game. He is a world champ, and he has a similar size as me.

His Z-Guard is very interesting; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXR0XAPlaoA
His Pressure Passing philosophy; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU2MKcq5we0
Stuart Cooper Interview; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffvKhQfiMws

I really love this guy. He has a fantastic attitude about competing. I'm still trying to figure out how I can self sponsor myself to train at Marcelo's at some point in the future. That would be so much fun! He is at top of my itinerary along with 99 BJJ in San Diego (Educardo Telles gym)

Yeah I love Gi too. I think nogi seems more tailored for people looking to train in MMA? At least that's how it seemed to me anyway. Put it this way, if I couldn't make grips on a Gi, I'd never be able to do anything in BJJ lol.

Decent session last night. Rolled with a guy I was able to control for the majority of the roll. Avoided his sweeps, got from out of his guard and into half guard, kept him pinned, etc.

I did a traditional Jiu Jitsu class last year, (Japanese Jiu Jitsu), and they wore Gi pants, but just t-shirts. I left every class covered in Indian burns.
It was shit compared to BJJ to be honest. Lots of weapon training, Katas, and other stuff I just had no interest in

No gi feels like it's mostly suited for mma which doesn't interest me. It's fun a few times a month though.

Pure nogi BJJ is quite different for MMA focused grappling though. I train in a cage often and the cage, wrestling and top game is way more important and positional theory changes.

No gi is also fairly new as well - up until the mid 2000's there wasn't a lot of guys that focused solely on it. Now it's evolving into its own sport with the development of leglocks and sub only tournaments.

Honestly, I'm not that far off from dropping the gi and just switching to nogi entirely.

StMeph

I like no-gi. It's only once a week, the pace is totally different, and it really forces you to think about positions and grips that you take for granted. Sometimes you can change it up and do something similar with what you have, sometimes you have to do something completely different to your normal game because the grips don't exist.

Thing about the gi is that it's a really useful learning tool. Like how training wheels on a bike help you learn how to ride it. As I have gotten more experienced however, I have found that the gi became more a of a safety valve that promoted bad habits for me.

Just finished my BJJ class for the night. First time in weeks due to a rash and being sick. I love it so much and every time I finish a class I leave the place smiling. Today we worked on sweeps, arm locks from guard. Seeing the newer students looking at the teachers go at it in utter awe was amazing to see because it reminded me of when I first learned them and felt similarly. Pivoting guard and then using a sweep to flip the two of you over and be on top was some ninja shit, but here I am doing it pretty well, months later. And helping new people felt great. It's easy to feel overwhelmed but when they start doing it they're having so much fun. Makes me so nostalgic, and I just utterly love Jiu Jitsu!

Just finished my BJJ class for the night. First time in weeks due to a rash and being sick. I love it so much and every time I finish a class I leave the place smiling. Today we worked on sweeps, arm locks from guard. Seeing the newer students looking at the teachers go at it in utter awe was amazing to see because it reminded me of when I first learned them and felt similarly. Pivoting guard and then using a sweep to flip the two of you over and be on top was some ninja shit, but here I am doing it pretty well, months later. And helping new people felt great. It's easy to feel overwhelmed but when they start doing it they're having so much fun. Makes me so nostalgic, and I just utterly love Jiu Jitsu!

Good to see you back at it!! It's weird, BJJ just gets in your blood. No matter how anxious it makes me (I tend to get pretty nervous before a class), afterwards all I can think of is Jiu Jitsu and how I can't wait to get back to it.
I rolled last night, and had been in the regular gym the last 2 days in a row. I was so sore and tired as hell after my first roll. The 2nd roll I got paired up with a newbie, and was so out of it at first I couldn't do anything with him in my guard, and he actually passed me to side control. For a second I was like "oh shit, am I about to get shown up by a total noob", and then got my shit together and triangled him lol

Good to see you back at it!! It's weird, BJJ just gets in your blood. No matter how anxious it makes me (I tend to get pretty nervous before a class), afterwards all I can think of is Jiu Jitsu and how I can't wait to get back to it.
I rolled last night, and had been in the regular gym the last 2 days in a row. I was so sore and tired as hell after my first roll. The 2nd roll I got paired up with a newbie, and was so out of it at first I couldn't do anything with him in my guard, and he actually passed me to side control. For a second I was like "oh shit, am I about to get shown up by a total noob", and then got my shit together and triangled him lol

Yeah I sometimes gets anxious and it's weird how I go despite that anxiety like it's nothing. Really comforting and makes me feel like I'm strong as hell.

Damn two days in a row? You must have gassed hard. In the next few weeks I'm going to try to do Jiu Jitsu five days a week. We'll see how it goes but I need to invest more in my "relationship" with Jiu Jitsu. If I'm going to compete, three times a week isn't enough. Up until now I've been lifting weights three days and doing BJJ three days and I feel like that should go more towards BJJ now. I'm not sure how to fit my weights in but I'll ask my coach later this week.

Yeah I sometimes gets anxious and it's weird how I go despite that anxiety like it's nothing. Really comforting and makes me feel like I'm strong as hell.

Damn two days in a row? You must have gassed hard. In the next few weeks I'm going to try to do Jiu Jitsu five days a week. We'll see how it goes but I need to invest more in my "relationship" with Jiu Jitsu. If I'm going to compete, three times a week isn't enough. Up until now I've been lifting weights three days and doing BJJ three days and I feel like that should go more towards BJJ now. I'm not sure how to fit my weights in but I'll ask my coach later this week.

Wow, 5 days? Damn I couldn't do that! 3 days max for me, but I don't plan on competing. Good luck with competing tho, I'll be rooting for you! Takes a lot of nerve to do that.
Had a great roll tonight. Myself and a guy around my level rolled for about 4:50 seconds, constant back and forth, he swept me, got mount, I escaped, into side control, just loads of escaping and defending. With seconds to go I cross collared him. Felt so fucking good after such a tough roll

Great nogi class tonight. Lots of movement drills with a lot of inversion. Man I've come a long way since seeing guys go inverted on me 4+ yrs ago and thinking I could never nor would i want to do that stuff at my age. Now I'm one of the better guys in class with the inverted guard retention stuff, at the age of 41. I also have a pretty good berimbolo in my arsenal when in 50/50.

We also drilled 2 sit up guards. One shin to shin single leg sweep and the Toquino sweep from De La Riva.

Now the weekend is here and I'll forget everything by Monday.

edit: Just realized how great this thread is for retention. Go back and read what you learned in class for previous days.

Shy

It's not BJJ. But this is an excellent documentary about Judo, and it's history (and it features Kayla Harrison) Called. Warrior of Budo. Episode Four: Judo. It's by Empty Mind Films, and It costs $17.99.

Here's the trailer for it.

Even though i don't practice any martial art, i'm very interested in the subject. And own (except one i believe) and love all of the EMF marital arts documentaries.

Hope you guys like it.

Thanks for the link, Shy.

Anyone see EBI7 or Metamoris yet?

Anyone watching Judo at the Olympics?

Wow, 5 days? Damn I couldn't do that! 3 days max for me, but I don't plan on competing. Good luck with competing tho, I'll be rooting for you! Takes a lot of nerve to do that.
Had a great roll tonight. Myself and a guy around my level rolled for about 4:50 seconds, constant back and forth, he swept me, got mount, I escaped, into side control, just loads of escaping and defending. With seconds to go I cross collared him. Felt so fucking good after such a tough roll

Thanks. I'm a bit nervous doing 5 days a week but I think I'll gain a lot from it.

That sounds like a good roll. I like rolling with people my level as well. It feels more even and like anything goes. Taking out newbies with technique is fun but it can also get a bit boring. And while I learn a lot against upper belts, I find that I grow the most when going up against people my level. Thankfully there's one white belt at my level to help me with that. He's my favorite roll partner.

Anyone here live in or train in downtown Toronto? I'll be there in a week or so and I brought my gi with me. I contacted 1 place and wanted to try and visit 1 more academy as well.

Great nogi class tonight. Lots of movement drills with a lot of inversion. Man I've come a long way since seeing guys go inverted on me 4+ yrs ago and thinking I could never nor would i want to do that stuff at my age. Now I'm one of the better guys in class with the inverted guard retention stuff, at the age of 41. I also have a pretty good berimbolo in my arsenal when in 50/50.

We also drilled 2 sit up guards. One shin to shin single leg sweep and the Toquino sweep from De La Riva.

Now the weekend is here and I'll forget everything by Monday.

edit: Just realized how great this thread is for retention. Go back and read what you learned in class for previous days.

I can't wait to learn some of these techniques...

I find there's a lot of stuff I felt I could never do upon first watch that I do with ease now. Just basic stuff too.

Anyone here live in or train in downtown Toronto? I'll be there in a week or so and I brought my gi with me. I contacted 1 place and wanted to try and visit 1 more academy as well.

Good luck! If you can, try to make it to an open mat.

No gi feels like it's mostly suited for mma which doesn't interest me. It's fun a few times a month though.

It's really not though. Either worrying or not worrying about being punched in the face changes the nogi game dramatically. I've been doing nogi for 3 years now but I do very much want to buy a gi soon. I feel learning both can give you an advantage over opponents.

It's really not though. Either worrying or not worrying about being punched in the face changes the nogi game dramatically. I've been doing nogi for 3 years now but I do very much want to buy a gi soon. I feel learning both can give you an advantage over opponents.

I know it's not, but I think I feel that way because a lot of my partners in nogi are interested in breaking into MMA. Nothing wrong with it, and I find the value in both for sure.

StMeph

Jiu Jitsu is not respected in brazil? I thought that there was a lot of pride for the discipline

In some circles it's considered a rich person's hobby.

Some poor kids are able to use it to compete internationally and make a name for themselves to be able to charge high fees and break out, but how many of those are there? It's a tiny handful.

Jiu Jitsu is not respected in brazil? I thought that there was a lot of pride for the discipline

It really depends on your social class and where you live apparently. Like StMeph said, people consider it a rich persons art. It has the same sort of thing over here in the states.

sibarraz

Banned
It really depends on your social class and where you live apparently. Like StMeph said, people consider it a rich persons art. It has the same sort of thing over here in the states.

In some circles it's considered a rich person's hobby.

Some poor kids are able to use it to compete internationally and make a name for themselves to be able to charge high fees and break out, but how many of those are there? It's a tiny handful.

Well, I never thought that in Brazil and even less on the states it will be considered a rich persons art.

It makes some sense for me though, I want to train a martial art/mma but since Im jobless I don't have the money to pay the monthly fee which is like 50 usd

StMeph

Well, I never thought that in Brazil and even less on the states it will be considered a rich persons art.

It makes some sense for me though, I want to train a martial art/mma but since Im jobless I don't have the money to pay the monthly fee which is like 50 usd

$50 for BJJ in the US would be a steal.

Judo tends to be the best/closest alternative. It's internationally more well-known due to the Olympics (even in Brazil), and there are a lot of gyms that are more like clubs with much lower fees compared to other hyped-up MMA disciplines like BJJ or Muay Thai. It's possible to find Judo for $50ish a month, if you're in a major metropolitan area.

50 dollars USD?!

I pay 140.

Taking a few days off to heal up now that my BJJ membership has lapsed. I was at open mat on Saturday, and theres a Blue Belt there, big guy, and nice enough, but he literally does not know how to do anything at less than 150% intensity. Even just drilling, everything was BAM BOOM POW, it was ridiculous. Like theres no need for a blue belt to go 2fast2furious just drilling moves with a white belt. Fucking killed me.

As a counterpoint i then did some drills with a purple belt who took things slowly, easily, and calmly explained how to do everything. Much more enjoyable and easier to learn things when someone isnt slamming you around at max velocity

So far I've only seen the trailer.

I worry that sometimes I go too hard when drilling new tech, Berlappin. I ask and they say it's fine but it's still on the back of my mind.

So far I've only seen the trailer.

I worry that sometimes I go too hard when drilling new tech, Berlappin. I ask and they say it's fine but it's still on the back of my mind.

Ive had some hard drilling before, and thats fine, but honestly this chap was acting like we were in a competition or something. It was way, way, too hard. My back and neck are still sore today from it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Pretty cool thread even though I don't have much to contribute as I don't practice BJJ. I did start practicing Sambo recently as the father of a Russian ex girlfriend of mine apparently is an expert. I had no clue until we started talking about martial arts. That said a hard ass Russian dude teaching you Sambo is fucking rough, he cuts no corners and expects a lot from my 30 year old ass. I think he's just happy he found an American who puts up with his shit since it seems he stopped teaching much because people would constantly drop out.

Shy

Just thought i'd give people a heads up.

The Judo documentary i recommended a couple of posts ago is on sale for $9.99 but only for the next 24 hours only. (it's usually 17.99) if anyone wants to pick it.

Here's the link again.

Top Bottom