• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 10 |OT| Google's 10-inch tablet developed by Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listening to the latest Vergecast and my god, every con they mentioned about the iPad mini was just brushed over with a better eco system comment. They totally glossed over the crap resolution that the screen has. Every device they talked about was just put down because it doesn't have the (obviously superior) range of apps the App Store has. I wish they would give more of a review on the hardware itself.

Dunlop

I like how The Verge still claims the iPads screen is "best in class". The Verge seems fan-boyish some of their Pros and Cons are ridiculous

C'mon they need to make sure their quotes are again put in the power point presentation for the next apple event.

The ecosystem is perfectly viable as a huge boon to get an Apple product, they got here first. But the endless rosy reviews when they make very minor adjustments in their new line of products is fucking ridiculous.

I have no doubt the mini will be a major product for Apple, I love my N7 and would never go back to a 10" anything but Apple really should have done a lot more hardware wise to make it deserver the accolades it is getting for the price.

Is that iPad picture supposed to have a black background like the Nexus ones?

i think it's the iOS icon, which has a sort of grey background/border.

now hey i have a nexus 7 and love it, but most people aren't going to buy multiple tablets. if someone asked me whether they should buy a nexus 7 or ipad mini, i'd say ipad mini, absolutely no question about it. it's the same reason i'd say they should buy a retina ipad over a nexus 10 — you can do a million more things with it, and have more fun doing them. android tablet apps are a goddamn wasteland, much as i prefer it as a phone OS.

while i may care about PPI in the kindle app, most people simply do not. the ipad mini is a fantastic product that will do extremely well for an awful lot more reasons than the apple logo on the back.

RuGalz

Does anyone know if the tablet is powered via USB or the proprietary port at bottom? Trying to figure out if you can have USB storage and charging the unit at the same time.

RuGalz

Just listening to the latest Vergecast and my god, every con they mentioned about the iPad mini was just brushed over with a better eco system comment. They totally glossed over the crap resolution that the screen has. Every device they talked about was just put down because it doesn't have the (obviously superior) range of apps the App Store has. I wish they would give more of a review on the hardware itself.

Apple can sell just about anything these days... I was watching local news and guys buying mini were commenting how the mini's screen looks nicer than their iphone (w/ retina display), wut?

Jeff-DSA

Apple can sell just about anything these days... I was watching local news and guys buying mini were commenting how the mini's screen looks nicer than their iphone (w/ retina display), wut?

Many times in tech (or gaming, or cars, or...) we fool ourselves into seeing things differently than they are to justify the price tags we pay.

When I bought the G1, my co-worker bought a Blackberry. He promised me that the Blackberry brand would steamroll Android because the more compact screen on the Blackberry was less distracting while doing tasks on the phone. He was dead serious and acted like he couldn't even use the G1 because it was so distracting.

Didn't you read their Nexus 10 review? Paying an extra $100 is just an entry fee into the iPad ecosystem, and you'd be a fool not to pay it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Since there have been a lot of comments about the aspect ratio, here are a few thoughts on the relative tradeoffs of the Nexus 10 (16:9) versus the iPad (4:3) for common media consumption

*good reasoned stuff*
Er, sorry to be pedantic, but the Nexus 10 is 16:10... right?

coopolon

Hmm, the 16GB $379 refurbed iPad 3 is back in stock at Apple.com. It was easier planning on getting a nexus 10 when they weren't available any more. I know specs wise Nexus 10 blows ipad 3 away, but app wise ipad 3 has the clear advantage.

Jeff-DSA

Hmm, the 16GB $379 refurbed iPad 3 is back in stock at Apple.com. It was easier planning on getting a nexus 10 when they weren't available any more. I know specs wise Nexus 10 blows ipad 3 away, but app wise ipad 3 has the clear advantage.

Yes, if you're an app hound, go iPad. If you're a media guy or browsing a lot, go the Nexus route.

With the huge gains Android is making in marketshare, app parity is only a matter of time. The thing is, it's probably not going to happen during this wave of tablets. If you definitely need a wide range of apps, the Nexus 10 will not do all you want it to do in most cases.

Personally, I like knowing that I can tinker with the thing and that it's the best tablet for media consumption out there. That's why I'm going with the Nexus 10. Media, reading, and browsing is 99% of what I do on my tablet.

Yes, if you're an app hound, go iPad. If you're a media guy or browsing a lot, go the Nexus route.

With the huge gains Android is making in marketshare, app parity is only a matter of time. The thing is, it's probably not going to happen during this wave of tablets. If you definitely need a wide range of apps, the Nexus 10 will not do all you want it to do in most cases.

Personally, I like knowing that I can tinker with the thing and that it's the best tablet for media consumption out there. That's why I'm going with the Nexus 10. Media, reading, and browsing is 99% of what I do on my tablet.

Basically this. I had an iPad 3 when they first came out (gf has one now) but returned it. It's an awesome device, nice apps but I find myself never using the thing except for browsing or watching videos. All my gaming is done pretty much on PC or if I'm on the bus or train I use my phone. Was sort of a waste of money in my case but I can see how others would use it for a lot more things. I will however be getting the nexus 7 3G for browsing/video needs when I'm in bed and such. I tried one and loved the form factor. I also tried the mini and that was nice form but the screen was rather off putting after using an iPad 3.

Didn't you read their Nexus 10 review? Paying an extra $100 is just an entry fee into the iPad ecosystem, and you'd be a fool not to pay it.

What a stupid comment that was. To me apps are more important on a portable device like a phone. I won't use as many apps on my N10 as I will my N4. For me a tablets seems more of a coffee table browsing device. Of course different strokes, different folks.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
As an iPad 3 owner, apps are cool but I'm mostly browsing the web. Tighter Google integration would be cool. Hence why I'm thinking about an Android switch. Probably next year, though. The Nexus 10 needs something a bit more, IMO. Spec wise it's there. Build wise it's ugly. And Google needs to add a bit more tablet software polish.

Sky Chief

As an iPad 3 owner, apps are cool but I'm mostly browsing the web. Tighter Google integration would be cool. Hence why I'm thinking about an Android switch. Probably next year, though. The Nexus 10 needs something a bit more, IMO. Spec wise it's there. Build wise it's ugly. And Google needs to add a bit more tablet software polish.

I am disappointed that all the Nexus 10 reviews I have read seem to basically gloss over the Chrome experience. This is all I really care about. Does anyone have a link to a review with more detailed Chrome on Nexus 10 impressions or a direct Chrome vs. Safari comparison?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I am disappointed that all the Nexus 10 reviews I have read seem to basically gloss over the Chrome experience. This is all I really care about. Does anyone have a link to a review with more detailed Chrome on Nexus 10 impressions or a direct Chrome vs. Safari comparison?

Chrome on my Android phone sucks so I assume it sucks on the N10 just the same. Well, when compared to the AOSP browser.

Jeff-DSA

Here, we go. I think this was missing from The Verge's review.

S0ut5.jpg

dwebo

is there a good video showing off web browsing on the 10? I'm inclined to think 4:3 is better in either orientation, but I'm open to changing my mind

web browsing on the nexus 7 wasn't great. landscape felt too squat, and the resolution wasn't high enough to make portrait usable without a lot of zooming/panning. I suspect the nexus 10, like the retina ipads, will still arrange the page layouts at the lower resolution (1280x800, 1024x768) and just pixel double to improve the font / assets (if available)

Mario007

Am currently deciding between this and Transformer tf300 with a keyboard dock. I know Nexus 10 is much better specs-wise than the transformer but I am looking for a tablet to replace my laptop and am not sure if a bluetooth keyboard plus tablet setting will be as effective as keyboard dock plus tablet.

Jeff-DSA

I'm a little bugged that we aren't seeing official accessories by either Samsung or Google. I want a case or cover that's going to be the best fit possible. Too many 3rd party cases are just simply for 10" tablets.

Jeff-DSA

Question for people who've had high resolution tablets...

How hi-res are the magazines you get from Nook, Zinio, etc. and in what resolution do streaming services like Netflix and Hulu work? Is the ultra hi-res screen on the Nexus 10 mostly going to benefit books and browsing, or will there be a significant impact on videos, magazines, and comics?

Question for people who've had high resolution tablets...

How hi-res are the magazines you get from Nook, Zinio, etc. and in what resolution do streaming services like Netflix and Hulu work? Is the ultra hi-res screen on the Nexus 10 mostly going to benefit books and browsing, or will there be a significant impact on videos, magazines, and comics?

I tried out a cheap magazine subscription with Zinio a few weeks ago, wouldn't mind some insight on this, too.

ektoll

You're wrong. It's has Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja and Tiny Towers among many others. It also has reddit apps and Wikipedia apps and Flipboard and more.

Nearly perfect! But wasn't the end something like "...and a few others I can't think of"?

Jeff-DSA

This comes out in less than a week and Google is being too quiet about ordering. I'm getting a little antsy. I guess that officially means on preorders from Google. I don't see any retailers offering it either. I'd like to have a preorder in and not chase them around town on day 1.

coopolon

So I am borrowing a friend Asus transformer infinity to see how android tablets feel. Looking at reviews this was one of the best android tablet before the nexus 10. So far I am not impressed. It is running 4.1 and it is still nowhere near as responsive as an iPad, apps regularly are hanging, and I am not sure how I feel about the 16:10 screen size but that might just be because I am not used to it.

I know the nexus 10 is supposed to be superior techs wise and running 4.2, but it seriously concerns me that this tablet got such reviews, I feel like there might be different standards for android tablets when graded against the iPad. I have gone from planing on buying nexus 10 day one to seriously thinking twice about this.

Edit: having said all that, damn I prefer android to ios. I love being able to change keyboards, browsers, default applications, etc. I really want to love an android tablet.

markot

Banned
Know what.

I really love Android >.>

Nexus 7 has made it so much better for me, im never going back to samsung or what not with their 'additions' >.<

And it makes the lack of an Android desktop os even more bad!

So will the Nexus 10 ship with this magnetic pogo charger I've heard about?

The CNET review said that they charged it via micro USB and it was very slow.

Well, I guess I should drop into a couple of Walmarts to have a look today.

I think you should ; ) I really can't wait until Tuesday but I know I probably won't get one for a couple of weeks. I suppose it depends what quantities Samsung and google are shipping out to stores and how many they are keeping to sell through the Play store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom