• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG dev Bluehole concerned over Fortnite's Battle Royale [Up: Background Both Sides]

Belker

Yes

3max.jpg

This game runs terribly on Xbox. In multiplayer, even with only two people in a game, it consistently crashes every 1 - 1.5 hours. That's apart from all the frate issues and UI sluggishness problems.

It's this title that, ironically, made me concerned that PUBG on Xbox would be a terrible mess compared to the PC version. Different developers, styles and engines, but I couldn't shake the 'PC main platform - console under-supported' feeling, even with MS saying they were involved.

Of course now that Fortnite is coming out with its own mode, I'm somewhat relieved since I'll be able to try that type of gameplay without worrying about cost. Which, of course, is what Blue Hole are concerned about too.

Kin5290

Bluehole are just bitching for the purpose of bitching. They can't do shit to Epic, legally speaking. Sorry, Bluehole, but you can't copyright a game genre, nevermind that the cartoonish physics and base/trap building make Fortnite's Batttle Royale sufficiently distinctive (and the fact that Fortnite is a TPS and not a FPS/TPS.

Mikey Jr.

I just checked out gameplay for the fortnite version.

DUUUUUUDE!!

This looks fucking legit!

I don't have a good PC nor an Xbox, just a PS4.

This looks fucking awesome! If the Fortnite guys keep working on their version, I think it can be really really great. It looks super polished right now as it is.

I am 100% fucking in! I am so pumped. Been kinda bummed I can't play PUBG, but I think this could be an awesome substitute for me and my friends.

Will try this Tuesday.

I just checked out gameplay for the fortnite version.

DUUUUUUDE!!

This looks fucking legit!

I don't have a good PC nor an Xbox, just a PS4.

This looks fucking awesome! If the Fortnite guys keep working on their version, I think it can be really really great. It looks super polished right now as it is.

I am 100% fucking in! I am so pumped. Been kinda bummed I can't play PUBG, but I think this could be an awesome substitute for me and my friends.

Will try this Tuesday.

Looks like the striessand effect has been initiated.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, probably. If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have checked it out.

Like, I skimmed through the OP and I thought "It's probably some really bad knock off. How many people in a match? Like 20? Who cares?"

Felt like those old Little Big Planet threads we'd get that would talk about how it recreated some game. (Thats nice. *Pats on head*)

But I FINALLY decided to see some gameplay and god damn!

Huge map. Jump from plane. 100 people. Doesn't look like janky shit.

In fact, honestly, this kinda looks more appealing to me. PUBG has that ARMA look that I fucking loathe.

Fortnite looks really polished. Plus it's free, and on PS4.

So yeah, I'm totally in for Tuesday. I'll give it a shot.

Why would a clone dethrone an already wildly popular game? They should be more worried about the people that come along and make a better version of their game.

Pretty much my take on it. Minecraft started that craze and how many clones popped up in the same style or with their own take? PUBG already has a massive audience. Just need to keep them satisfied. Its inevitable that someone is going to want a piece of that pie though.

Kill3r7

Pretty much my take on it. Minecraft started that craze and how many clones popped up in the same style or with their own take? PUBG already has a massive audience. Just need to keep them satisfied. Its inevitable that someone is going to want a piece of that pie though.

Slightly different situation here a free to play competitor can do pretty well and any slowdown in sales can hurt long term sales of PUBG.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You trust an engine developer with your game ideas and in the midst of your success that same engine developer creates a carbon copy before you can even reach all the platforms you're slated to.

It's not illegal but it is a pretty shitty business practice. Not sure I would be able to have a serious business relationship going forward.

'all the platforms you're slated to'? Is PUBG slated to come to ps4? If so, when? Source?

paulogy

I think it's pretty clear at this point Bluehole should build their own engine, or at least not use Epic's anymore. They are beholden to Epic in a way, and Epic is now also their competition. A tight spot, one that a press release and vague threats aren't going to fix.

And for folks wondering what might be the thing that causes PUBG to crack and lose it's momentum, it's changing to a whole new engine, and somehow losing the magic in the process.

BigDug13

You trust an engine developer with your game ideas and in the midst of your success that same engine developer creates a carbon copy before you can even reach all the platforms you're slated to.

It's not illegal but it is a pretty shitty business practice. Not sure I would be able to have a serious business relationship going forward.

"Trusting an engine developer with your game ideas" doesn't sound like good business practices to me.

Rymuth

It's not a carbon copy, tho.

'all the platforms you're slated to'? Is PUBG slated to come to ps4? If so, when? Source?
- They called it a 'launch exclusive'.

- the community manager said the deal was to bring the game to Xbox faster and that they're not ready to talk about other platforms yet.

It's all the signs of a ROTR/DR4 deal in place.

wapplew

PUBG is fine, they have over 13 million users and the backing of MS.
They are pretty close to Minecraft territory, no need to worry about competitions.

Rodelero

So Epic could and would use any feature and improvement Bluehole add to the engine for Fortnite BR even though Bluehole are paying royalties too. Pretty sure that's in the UE4 licensing terms but that's a shitty situation for Bluehole to be in. They didn't see it coming.

To be honest, no offence to PUBG/Bluehole, but I don't think Epic are likely to copy much of Bluehole's work. I can't really think of anything they're doing that seems particularly impressive on a technical level. The main reason PUBG is so vulnerable to being copied by others is because the core concept is so trivial (as great ideas often are), and they're doubly vulnerable because in most areas PUBG is lacking compared to contemporary FPS/TPS games. Without the large map, large player count, and Battle Royale mode, PUBG has nothing. Bluehole need to get their heads down and work hard at ensuring their game can live up to the inevitable clones that are on the way. Whining at the first clone to pop up only serves to highlight their inferiority complex and advertise Fortnite.

nelo_inc

They better get used to this, It’s only a matter of time before Ghost Recon Wildlands or another Ubisoft game gets a battle royale mode.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Boy they must be so pissed for not being able to announce any release of pubg on PS4 before Fortnite.

nOoblet16

There's this thing in business that it's harder to stay at top than it is to get to the top. When at the top you have to keep innovating (not inventing) in order to stay at the top and not be pushed out to obscurity.

PUBG idea is so simple that it was bound to get competition from clones due to its popularity. And the only way Bluehole would stay on top is if they keep trying to always make their game feel unique in some way. Because if they don't then someone will come along and do their own formula better than them with a lot better controls, map variety or what not.

Like, I skimmed through the OP and I thought "It's probably some really bad knock off. How many people in a match? Like 20? Who cares?"

Felt like those old Little Big Planet threads we'd get that would talk about how it recreated some game. (Thats nice. *Pats on head*)

In fact, honestly, this kinda looks more appealing to me. PUBG has that ARMA look that I fucking loathe.

It really does. The trailer hasn't hooked me but this IGN gameplay sold me completely on this. Looks amazing.

https://youtu.be/Q19apeXtGXE

One big deal about this is that if PUBG ever makes its way to PS4, you don't just need to pay $30 to buy it but you also need a PS Plus subscription to play it.

Fortnite Battle Royale does not require PS Plus, which may increase its popularity further.

One big deal about this is that if PUBG ever makes its way to PS4, you don't just need to pay $30 to buy it but you also need a PS Plus subscription to play it.

Fortnite Battle Royale does not require PS Plus, which may increase its popularity further.

Huh? PUBG isn't free to play, why should you not need 30$ to play it on PS4?

Ushay

At this point Bluehole need to worry more about making their game the best version out there.

Competition was inevitable. I think they may be able to pull it off especially with MS backing the studio.

JDB

Banned
I'll definitely try out Fornite BR, but the gunplay looks pretty rough. Also of course the third person perspective is a big turn-off.
Not sure why Bluehole seems so concerned about it.

JaffeLion

Banned
It's this title that, ironically, made me concerned that PUBG on Xbox would be a terrible mess compared to the PC version.

There is absolutely zero reason to believe that. MICROSOFT even sent engineers to bluehole to help porting the xbox one version.. it will look and run fine, stop spreading this FUD.

Cerium

Hmmm it's running on Unreal 4 and looks very scaleable with cartoony graphics and everything...

It would be nice to have this genre on Switch.

Dueck

Banned
Bluehole are just bitching for the purpose of bitching. They can't do shit to Epic, legally speaking. Sorry, Bluehole, but you can't copyright a game genre, nevermind that the cartoonish physics and base/trap building make Fortnite's Batttle Royale sufficiently distinctive (and the fact that Fortnite is a TPS and not a FPS/TPS.
This, for sure. It's looking like sour grapes born of fear, and it's nothing short of petty. It has honestly turned me off regarding PUBG a bit. I was excited to play both, now I'm thinking "if Fortnite BR is fine, I don't want this exec getting any of my money rolled into his salary." Sure, that's arguably petty too, but his attitude really rubbed me the wrong way.

Apathy

Boy they must be so pissed for not being able to announce any release of pubg on PS4 before Fortnite.

If they are pissed they should be pissed at themselves. They made there choice when they made their exclusive deal. They were the ones that locked themselves out of the biggest console market. It's unrealistic to think your competitors will just leave that group of consumers there alone until your deal ends just to be nice.

There is absolutely zero reason to believe that. MICROSOFT even sent engineers to bluehole to help porting the xbox one version.. it will look and run fine, stop spreading this FUD.

He may have meant the base XBox One version, I doubt if it'll have much problem running well on the X.

DigSCCP

This so hard.
Fortnite is already on my PS4 just waiting for Tuesday.
Before this thread I haven't saw a single video nor had any hype/interest on Fortnite.
At this moment I wonder how will PUBG perform on PS4, or even if it would make sense to port it if Fortnite becomes a hit...I mean : they are coming late for the party, they are charging for an experience that already is on the plataform for free, also the PS+ aspect and more important the polished aspect that many are talking about.

This so hard.
Fortnite is already on my PS4 just waiting for Tuesday.
Before this thread I haven't saw a single video nor had any hype/interest on Fortnite.
At this moment I wonder how will PUBG perform on PS4, or even if it would make sense to port it if Fortnite becomes a hit...I mean : they are coming late for the party, they are charging for an experience that already is on the plataform for free, also the PS+ aspect and more important the polished aspect that many are talking about.

This is me too. No interest or really knowledge of Fortnite before I heard Bluehole bitching about it. Now I have it downloaded and I look forward to playing the BR mode next week.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
If they are pissed they should be pissed at themselves. They made there choice when they made their exclusive deal. They were the ones that locked themselves out of the biggest console market. It's unrealistic to think your competitors will just leave that group of consumers there alone until your deal ends just to be nice.

Oh I agree, that's what I meant :) This is all on themselves and I don't have an inch of pity for them in this matter. It's absolutely valid to copy and sell the hell out of a game mode, same with deathmatch, CTF etc. There's plenty Mulitplayer games that did it right and built a solid foundation to perfect the game and making it worthwile in the long run, before putting in Lootboxes and complain about copycats before even going out of fucking early access/beta.

Panaphonics

Banned

Lol. Is this a joke? Did we Play the same game? Also, if its so Great why dont you get the early Access Version?

eizarus

Banned
Lol. Is this a joke? Did we Play the same game? Also, if its so Great why dont you get the early Access Version?
Not really much of an argument lmao. Some people can wait a few days to get something that interests them for free (for various reasons), like the person you quoted, and some would rather get it immediately to play.

Why'd you'd bring that specific point up almost as if it's a "got you!" moment is beyond me. Step up your game.

People early in this thread talking about Red Dead likely having it...
I'd be surprised if a more direct ripoff isn't in GTA:Online by December, they already have a similar mode but it is car combat based.

Zephyx

They should rather focus on improving their game than worrying about competitors trying to copy what they bring to the table. Someone's eventually gonna copy them and they won't be able do anything about it since you cant really trademark a game mode. What they can do best is distance themselves with the competition so they'd have a hard time catching up. It's not like their fanbase would immediately leave if a "copy" of their game shows up.

Spinluck

At the end of the day, you're just fucking shooting at other players.

The Battle Royale mode is neat and all, but I don't find it that fresh of an idea. It's just a massive free for all. All just good fun.

Stop bitching and embrace the competition, it's healthy for the industry and the genre.

Not exactly a surprise is it? The entire history of video games is built on borrowed / tweaked / refined ideas.

Basically. For example Everquest wouldn't have existed without Diku MUDs. It ripped them off hard. Not to say that was a bad thing (since I love Diku MUDs), but it was blatant as hell. It ripped off a couple in particular down to the very items (and stats on those items) in the game.

Top Bottom