• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonus Stages, & Time Attack Shown Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
He spent much more effort in designing Metal Sonic as a worthy rival, while Mecha Sonic really only exists to impede him as he finalizes and launches the Death Egg Robot.

Ezpz.

lol

I'd love to see the one from Sonic & Knuckles in Mania. Maybe with a touched up sprite. The comic made him look a lot cooler then S&K did back in the day:

2VIvz2C.jpg

For those waiting on CEs via Amazon, someone on Sonic Retro just said their order has been pushed forward from the 17th to the 15th.

Looks like the CEs might be delivered on release day. Outside of that there's always Steam.
How something on the 17th get pushed forward to the 15th?? Thats going backwards

For those waiting on CEs via Amazon, someone on Sonic Retro just said their order has been pushed forward from the 17th to the 15th.

Looks like the CEs might be delivered on release day. Outside of that there's always Steam.

via Amazon

Amazon's got issues when they send out things like pre-orders.

Sometimes they ship out items a few days prior so it'd be on release day delivery, or they ship on the release day

Piers

At the end of S3&K the Master Emerald is left out in Angel Island Zone, which is where it is in Sonic Adventure 1. Hidden Palace probably caved in. That part's always been consistent and I think people just forgot.

Don't you go through Hidden Palace again in Knuckles' game? Right before Sky Sanctuary I think.
Edit: That is, I think its implied Knuckles' game takes place after Sonic & Tails'

JackelZXA

The master emerald shrine is also outside in SA1's flashbacks which would take place before 3&K.

That's Tikal's time and it could just be that she moved the emeralds underground after her tribe tried to use them for war.

Knuckles' story in S3&K takes place some time after Sonic's and Hidden Palace is obviously still around, so that doesn't work.

Don't you go through Hidden Palace again in Knuckles' game? Right before Sky Sanctuary I think.
Edit: That is, I think its implied Knuckles' game takes place after Sonic & Tails'

Yes but you never see the emerald shrine in Knuckles' playthrough. All his hidden palace is is a teleporter to sky sanctuary and a view through the crater where the death egg used to be. It's just a 4 second transition to ssz. There's no indication in Knuckles playthrough that he put the Master Emerald back underground.

But the Metallix in Sonic CD is significantly more advanced then Mecha Sonic.

7zqJPjk.png
Jd86Zt5.jpg

Two different design goals for robots. Metal Sonic is built to match sonic in every way while Silver Sonic is a prototype of a superior combat model that gets perfected in S3K. (In S2 Sonic it feels like Robotnik wasn't ready for Sonic's raid on the Death Egg, and Silver Sonic (or Mecha Sonic mk1 to be more accurate) wasn't finished and it was a "he had no choice" kinda thing)

They're technically two separate robots according to SA1. (Metal Sonic has always been a character, but Mecha Sonic is separate and gets upgraded, we never fight the mk3 Mecha Sonic that's in the tubes in SA1)

NZerker12

I consider the Adventure games a reboot. You never hear about any humans, Station Square or Mystic Ruins in the Mega drive games. Hell Angel Island drops right next to the Mystic Ruins in SA yet when it drops in S3K there is nothing next to it. So I like to think the Hidden Palace still remains.

As for CD's placement, my headcanon goes with the idea of it being set between 1 and 2. Sonic has an incomplete
rubbish
spindash which is why he uses the Super Peel out. While by 2 he combines the CD spindash with the peel out to get the spindash we all know and love, the speed of the peel out with the power of the spindash.

JackelZXA

I consider the Adventure games a reboot. You never hear about any humans, Station Square or Mystic Ruins in the Mega drive games. Hell Angel Island drops right next to the Mystic Ruins in SA yet when it drops in S3K there is nothing next to it. So I like to think the Hidden Palace still remains.

As for CD's placement, my headcanon goes with the idea of it being set between 1 and 2. Sonic has an incomplete
rubbish
spindash which is why he uses the Super Peel out. While by 2 he combines the CD spindash with the peel out to get the spindash we all know and love, the speed of the peel out with the power of the spindash.

SA1 was intended to be a continuation of S3&K. As far as there being humans or not, Sonic was intended to have a human girlfriend in Sonic 1.

And about Angel Island landing next to Mystic Ruins, I doubt the Island stays in one spot, and would just hover around the earth slowly as it rotates beneath it.

On the train of Sonic CD being after 1 but before 2, it makes sense visually for Sonic's design and the sense of scale and escalation and overall difficulty works in the order of 1 CD 2 3K. That's also more or less a line of the quality of game improving, with Mania after 3K. (Looks like it'll make us all happy)

Some other fun stuff that I personally like and feel works for the order is: D.A. Garden shows Tails flying his plane but there's no SONIC written on the side, and in the post credits scene Tails says "See you next game!" which indicates you unlocked Tails but I also like the notion that it'd be a cheeky note on which game takes place after CD. (In Sonic 2 Remastered they add a scene that leads Sonic 2 into Sonic 3 pretty directly after the credits. You even get a glimpse of Knuckles at the end of the Good Ending!)

Ferr986

They're technically two separate robots according to SA1. (Metal Sonic has always been a character, but Mecha Sonic is separate and gets upgraded, we never fight the mk3 Mecha Sonic that's in the tubes in SA1)

CD Metal Sonic design was pretty cool, especially in the OVA (It's been so much since I saw it but my mind remembers it being good so I want to keep that memory just in case lol).

tumblr_mse4seoLAs1r6wksoo3_500.gif

He looks so goof from Heroes to onwards. I dunno why but his 3D model is off.

(In Sonic 2 Remastered they add a scene that leads Sonic 2 into Sonic 3 pretty directly after the credits. You even get a glimpse of Knuckles at the end of the Good Ending!)

Yep, connects near perfectly with Sonic 2 and 3.

Also wouldn't make sense if Robotnik simply left the Death Egg crashed in Angel Island and went after Little Planet's Time Stones in the meantime. Then decided to go back to talk to Knuckles about why he left a giant doomsday device there this whole time

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That's Tikal's time and it could just be that she moved the emeralds underground after her tribe tried to use them for war.

haha so nerdy <3 love it

Mr Swine

Banned
Bleh, Mecha Sonic > Metal Sonic

The only thing Metal Sonic does is chase Sonic and use his charge attack. At least Mecha Sonic can operate Eggmans Eggmobile, use spin attack and super charge himself with the Master Emerald

The only thing Metal Sonic does is chase Sonic and use his charge attack. At least Mecha Sonic can operate Eggmans Eggmobile, use spin attack and super charge himself with the Master Emerald

Yeah, but Metal Sonic looks cooler. That's how Sonic works, if it looks or sounds better than it is better.

Zubz

Banned
CD is the stairs.

Nice one.

Mecha's much better at dying & not coming back, too.

Outside of the final boss fight with Knuckles, Mecha felt like he was just... there. Metal always had that personality that makes him my favorite Sonic character behind Robotnik himself!

Gin-Shiio

Yeah, but Metal Sonic looks cooler. That's how Sonic works, if it looks or sounds better than it is better.

But you cannot beat Mecha Sonic's Sonic 3 sound effects. They're godly. I'm part of those people that always thought him to be the more badass robot, but I am not particularly sad about him being a one-time affair. Metal Sonic has been cheapened a lot as would be any robot defeated time and time again.

And just for fun, here's what LEGO Sonic has to say about their ranking!

Berordn

Mecha's much better at dying & not coming back, too.

Outside of the final boss fight with Knuckles, Mecha felt like he was just... there. Metal always had that personality that makes him my favorite Sonic character behind Robotnik himself!

Seeing the Eggrobo designs making a return in Mania makes me wonder if Mecha's hiding in there too. It'd be kind of neat to be chasing one of them down for a confrontation and then he gets taken out by Mecha piloting Big Arm or something.

So does anyone have an idea when reviews will drop for this? We're a week away pretty much.

At a guess - mid next week at the earliest. Just read on Sonic Retro from a semi-reliable source that review copies are already "out there" so of greater importance IMO is that the entire game will probably leak soon. Be cautious to evade spoilers.

At a guess - mid next week at the earliest. Just read on Sonic Retro from a semi-reliable source that review copies are already "out there" so of greater importance IMO is that the entire game will probably leak soon. Be cautious to evade spoilers.

Yup just saw this. Probably going to take a break from forums/YouTube. I just realized, this will (hopefully) be the first time in 20 years where I go into a Sonic game without knowing the full level roster.

Ristifer

Yup. I'm reading that the game is out there now, so it's pretty much blackout time for me.

RagnarokX

Yes but you never see the emerald shrine in Knuckles' playthrough. All his hidden palace is is a teleporter to sky sanctuary and a view through the crater where the death egg used to be. It's just a 4 second transition to ssz. There's no indication in Knuckles playthrough that he put the Master Emerald back underground.

Two different design goals for robots. Metal Sonic is built to match sonic in every way while Silver Sonic is a prototype of a superior combat model that gets perfected in S3K. (In S2 Sonic it feels like Robotnik wasn't ready for Sonic's raid on the Death Egg, and Silver Sonic (or Mecha Sonic mk1 to be more accurate) wasn't finished and it was a "he had no choice" kinda thing)

Fun fact: Lego Dimensions' Sonic pack is amazing and jam-packed full of classic references. One of the boss fights is a showdown with the 3 mechanical sonics, and they finally got official names.

j7wg1mR.jpg

Interesting that Robotnik transported Metal from a dimension where Metal beat Sonic.

It also has stuff like this:
11RDu8W.jpg

Sonic 3 Hidden Palace

PGwsJxT.jpg

Sandopolis complete with ghosts.

Unknown?

lol

I'd love to see the one from Sonic & Knuckles in Mania. Maybe with a touched up sprite. The comic made him look a lot cooler then S&K did back in the day:

2VIvz2C.jpg

Oh that would be so freaking cool! Mecha Sonic was my favorite and the fact he could go Super... Best boss ever! Very easy though.

Fun fact: Lego Dimensions' Sonic pack is amazing and jam-packed full of classic references. One of the boss fights is a showdown with the 3 mechanical sonics, and they finally got official names.

j7wg1mR.jpg

Interesting that Robotnik transported Metal from a dimension where Metal beat Sonic.

It also has stuff like this:
11RDu8W.jpg

Sonic 3 Hidden Palace

PGwsJxT.jpg

Sandopolis complete with ghosts.

Wow this is awesome. Considering buy one copy and that DLC

Pizza

I've been assuming that CD happens while eggman is repairing the Death Egg &#129335;*&#9794;&#65039; The thing blew up and crashed from space, I'd assume it'd take a minute to get it going again.

Also a lot of resources that eggman didn't have handy on angel island. Most all of little planet was factory wastelands. He had a ton of machines to build robots, but making a bunch of factories in the past and the jumping to the future to collect all the resources/materials he needed would make the Death Egg take the, like, two or three months that happened between 2 and 3 instead of much longer.

Also, metal sonic is advanced af and is weirdly missing in 3. In Chaotix eggman has the chaos rings from messing with special rings (that he found on angel island) and one of the emeralds. I forget which. The Newtrogic High Zone was made to study those rings, and I assume he left metal sonic there after cd to check it out. I'd assumed he dumped a copy of silver sonic with some AI like dr gero and it cell'd silver sonic into metal in the however-long eggman was jumping into the future. The robo sonic in 3 was eggman iterating on the design himself instead of cheating.

That'd explain how eggman got all the resources for 3 and Chaotix, and why robo sonic even exists keeping the "couple months after 3" timeline intact with Chaotix, and why eggman would even be bothering with the newtrogic high Zone when little planet is a thing he's doing

I mean I think the real reason there's all these different Metal Sonics is just that the team didn't communicate that well. Or care. Idk.

I think CD has to happen before 2 or after 3. The Death Egg crashes onto Angel Island and that sets off the events of 3 just a few days later.

MAtgS

I mean I think the real reason there's all these different Metal Sonics is just that the team didn't communicate that well. Or care. Idk.

I think CD has to happen before 2 or after 3. The Death Egg crashes onto Angel Island and that sets off the events of 3 just a few days later.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 kinda retcons that, implying CD could've been between S&K & 4.

Yup just saw this. Probably going to take a break from forums/YouTube. I just realized, this will (hopefully) be the first time in 20 years where I go into a Sonic game without knowing the full level roster.

Yup. I'm reading that the game is out there now, so it's pretty much blackout time for me.

Yeah seems to be confirmed now. Reviews should be coming soon. Good luck guys!

On another note, anyone know when Steam games generally go live in the UK? Just wondering what time specifically Sonic Mania will unlock in GMT/BST on August 15?

RagnarokX

I've been assuming that CD happens while eggman is repairing the Death Egg &#129335;*&#9794;&#65039; The thing blew up and crashed from space, I'd assume it'd take a minute to get it going again.

Also a lot of resources that eggman didn't have handy on angel island. Most all of little planet was factory wastelands. He had a ton of machines to build robots, but making a bunch of factories in the past and the jumping to the future to collect all the resources/materials he needed would make the Death Egg take the, like, two or three months that happened between 2 and 3 instead of much longer.

Also, metal sonic is advanced af and is weirdly missing in 3. In Chaotix eggman has the chaos rings from messing with special rings (that he found on angel island) and one of the emeralds. I forget which. The Newtrogic High Zone was made to study those rings, and I assume he left metal sonic there after cd to check it out. I'd assumed he dumped a copy of silver sonic with some AI like dr gero and it cell'd silver sonic into metal in the however-long eggman was jumping into the future. The robo sonic in 3 was eggman iterating on the design himself instead of cheating.

That'd explain how eggman got all the resources for 3 and Chaotix, and why robo sonic even exists keeping the "couple months after 3" timeline intact with Chaotix, and why eggman would even be bothering with the newtrogic high Zone when little planet is a thing he's doing
The different models serve different purposes.

Metal Sonic is built purely for speed and racing. He's not a combat model. He's not really built to curl into a ball and has limited attack options.

Robo and Mecha are basically different versions of the same model. They're built purely for combat and have the same attacks.

I was just thinking. With the Hardboiled Heavies. In the end it should turn out Mecha Sonic is the mastermind. Remember Knuckles' story takes place after Sonic's in Sonic 3 where he's antagonized by an eggrobo (except in Flying Battery where they didn't replace Robotnik's sprite because they didn't have a front facing eggrobo sprite. In the end it turned out Mecha Sonic was leading the eggrobos.

JackelZXA

I was just thinking. With the Hardboiled Heavies. In the end it should turn out Mecha Sonic is the mastermind. Remember Knuckles' story takes place after Sonic's in Sonic 3 where he's antagonized by an eggrobo (except in Flying Battery where they didn't replace Robotnik's sprite because they didn't have a front facing eggrobo sprite. In the end it turned out Mecha Sonic was leading the eggrobos.

One thing I feel like might be a slight note on his "character" is that maybe Mecha Sonic is trying to surpass every aspect of Sonic in like...an obsessive way. Canonically I can see Mecha Sonic losing to Super Sonic, which would lead to him achieving a new form using the Master Emerald since that takes place afterwards. I still think its a little weird that Mecha Sonic uses the sonic 1 and sonic 2 egg machines instead of egg robo, but maybe there's something along those same lines to explain why they'd pick Mecha Sonic for those instead of the more obvious Egg Robo pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom