• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Spoiler Thread

It would have been nice to at least have like a Kaede school mode or something. Give her fans some kind of break.

Edit:Top of the page of course. Spoiler bars just in case.

I want to personally hug and apologise to anyone hyped for Kaede.

That's why I don't think it will be the "fun" kind. The it's all a tv show twist? That was freaking hilarious seeing the reaction to and I feel does fit the game tone well.
Though I'll admit if they confirm the first two games were seasons I will be a little nettled.

Kaede just feels like it's going to be uncomfortable especially since like I said earlier, people are watching the way developers treat female characters like a hawk.

daevious

The fallout over Kaede's death is going to be hilarious because it'll reinforce a whole bunch of MGS2 parallels:

A popular character that the audience has anticipated playing as is side-lined at the end of the first act and replaced by an effeminate, unconfident wannabe who idolised the previous game(s).

PK Gaming

What hurts the most is Kaede's characterization in the main game. In the demo, she's pretty bland, not unlike Makoto. But in the main game, her dialogue and internal thoughts are a lot more colorful and fun. Like she's deliberately characterized to be as likeable as possible, before she's snatched away.

It's pretty messed up.

The fallout over Kaede's death is going to be hilarious because it'll reinforce a whole bunch of MGS2 parallels:

A popular character that the audience has anticipated playing as is side-lined at the end of the first act and replaced by an effeminate, unconfident wannabe who idolised the previous game(s).

I think he legit calls himself Makoto as a kid or something at some point. Either way, the parallels are really, really blatant.

F I C T I O N

Also who does You Got That Wrong best you guys? (Spoilers of course but look at the topic you are in)

I also wish in the moments where the protag chair switches to both Maki and Himiko, that the two of them also got You Got That Wrong moments, but all they get is CONSENT moments rip. I still like that the interface changes slightly for all 5 protag characters in this game though

Sorry, I realize this has been asked in a couple different ways, but it's still unclear to me and I want to clarify:

In the WORLD OF Danganronpa V3, the video games Danganronpa 1 and 2 were fictional, then the whole reality show thing started up, but with a REAL killing game.

Is there a world in which Danganronpa 1 and 2 actually happened? Is Danganronpa 3 a separate universe, or is this all in the same world?

I guess I just want to know if there will be a follow-up on the Danganronpa Universe before all this reality show stuff, and in a world where the first two games were not fictional

MAtgS

Sorry, I realize this has been asked in a couple different ways, but it's still unclear to me and I want to clarify:

In the WORLD OF Danganronpa V3, the video games Danganronpa 1 and 2 were fictional, then the whole reality show thing started up, but with a REAL killing game.

Is there a world in which Danganronpa 1 and 2 actually happened? Is Danganronpa 3 a separate universe, or is this all in the same world?

I guess I just want to know if there will be a follow-up on the Danganronpa Universe before all this reality show stuff, and in a world where the first two games were not fictional

I imagine it'd be like Digimon Tamers treating the 1st 2 seasons as an in-universe tv show despite a character crossing over between the 2 universes. Or Marvel characters referencing DC as though DC is fictional in the Marvel universe despite crossovers between the 2 companies. Multiverses are simply an opportunity for writers to be silly.

PK Gaming

It'll never happen, but how fucking wild would it be if in the English version, Shuichi dies off instead. And the whole game has you playing as Kaede in a slightly different story. It would be ambitious as fuck and make for an interesting meta twist.

I wasn't planning on getting this right away since I still haven't watched the dr3 anime but these spoilers are really turning me off on ever getting it now

id still be ok with it cuz im like one the few who seems to be ok with dr3 (im not blind to its many many MANY flaws tho)

My problem with DR3 is that I was expecting a lot from it and wanted it to be good and a worthy follow up to the games. Instead it was a dumpster fire.

As an example of the opposite, I started watching Sword Art Online knowing it was awful and expecting to hate it, but I ended up having a lot of fun with that monstrosity.

I'm curiously stuck in the second class trial during the showdown mode against the culprit, here at 4:42. I wonder what I am missing here, you juste have to slay the yellow word with the triangle button right ?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Finally finished the game and my God; that was amazing.

What a ride.

I couldn't care less about the inevitable parade of haters, too, considering that we're all done here!

The game doesn't say for sure. But the point it tries to make is that it doesn't matter.

Sapientas

I liked it. The ending twist is pretty cool and a good way to end the series. Midway through the last trial I thought it would be handled way worse, it's kinda impressive how they managed to make a twist like this entertaining.

First case is the best though, and the bait and switch is glorious. Sucks that we lose Akamatsu for another "generic guy", but Saihara ended up being the best protagonist.

I really don't have a problem with Monophanie's character. All Monocubs are bad joke characters, and the "domestic violence" bits are minor and meant to be ridiculously bad.

I feel like I would less upset if they pulled the bait and switch with someone else. Either another dude instead of Kaede or a new hero that wasn't the exact same mold as the previous two. Yeah I know it was probably the point. It just because you have a reason for kicking me in the balls doesn't mean I'm going to like it.

I'm also aware that Saihara is apparently a really good character so I ask what was the point of the switch then? Why feel the need to do that? It's dumb shock value and it feels pointless.

Normally stuff like this really doesn't bother me, but for whatever reason it really stuck with me here. Maybe it's just how shameless a fridging it was.

I'm sorry if it feels like I keep harping on this but I legit don't understand why this bothers me so much. I'm not even that attached to Kaedes character. While the other female character deaths in previous games obviously upset me they didn't piss me off like this one did.

PK Gaming

Normally stuff like this really doesn't bother me, but for whatever reason it really stuck with me here. Maybe it's just how shameless a fridging it was.

I'm sorry if it feels like I keep harping on this but I legit don't understand why this bothers me so much. I'm not even that attached to Kaedes character. While the other female character deaths in previous games obviously upset me they didn't piss me off like this one did.

Because we were robbed of having a female protagonist in a mainstream VN game. Stuff like Saihara being a good character or Kaede not being particularly amazing doesn't change that fact; it just plain sucks.

I'm going to play V3 and like it, but it's something I doubt i'll ever fully forgive Kodaka for. It's a pretty cowardly move.

Brazil

I feel like I would less upset if they pulled the bait and switch with someone else. Either another dude instead of Kaede or a new hero that wasn't the exact same mold as the previous two. Yeah I know it was probably the point. It just because you have a reason for kicking me in the balls doesn't mean I'm going to like it.

I'm also aware that Saihara is apparently a really good character so I ask what was the point of the switch then? Why feel the need to do that? It's dumb shock value and it feels pointless.

It's not "dumb shock value" and it doesn't feel "pointless" at all. From a storytelling perspective, it's actually really ingenious - they made it so that you committed the crime. It's something that I thought wasn't possible in this franchise before it actually happened, and it made for a pretty interesting and compelling first chapter.

You may not like it because of the whole "female characters get screwed" angle, but to say it's something made for "dumb shock value" is just plain wrong.

It's not "dumb shock value" and it doesn't feel "pointless" at all. From a storytelling perspective, it's actually really ingenious - they made it so that you committed the crime. It's something that I thought couldn't be possible before it actually happened, and it made for a pretty interesting and compelling first chapter.

You may not like it because of the whole "female characters get screwed" angle, but to say it's something made for "dumb shock value" is just plain wrong.

It's been awhile but isn't it latter revealed Kaede didn't actually kill anyone? The master mind finished off the victim and frames Kaede, and then says it was because she was an audience favorite.

Again it's been awhile and there were a lot of fake spoilers so maybe it got muddled but I defiantly remember reading that.

And I'm sorry either way advertising a female protagonist,in a very male dominated market might I add, only to kill her off for the sake of a twist is textbook shock value.

Gradon

I imagine a fourth game will probably
stick with a female character after the backlash that happened.
To be honest I thought the chapter was very memorable and exciting because of such a thing. I unfortunately called it when the game was announced and unfortunately had it spoilt for me in the community thread before I played the game.

I don't agree it was done for shock value, I thought it was a natural evolution of this series twists and turns. It's literally the first thing I thought of after finishing 2.

Brazil

It's been awhile but isn't it latter revealed Kaede didn't actually kill anyone? The master mind finished off the victim and frames Kaede, and then says it was because she was an audience favorite.

Again it's been awhile and there were a lot of fake spoilers so maybe it got muddled but I defiantly remember reading that.

Sure. But she only didn't kill Rantaro because of random chance - the intent and the planning was all there. And the mastermind wouldn't have had to meddle if it wasn't for Kaede's plan, too.

Other than that, you seem to be throwing out some pretty harsh criticisms for someone who hasn't played the game, huh :/

It's really bizarre that people feel comfortable discussing and judging a visual novel based solely on story beat spoilers. It's also notable to me that almost everyone who has raised issues with the Kaede switcheroo and the big chapter 6 twist are people who haven't actually seen the context for those events in the game.

I really dislike dismissing opinions and takes, and I'm sure you don't mean harm, but I'm sorry: you don't know what's pointless and what isn't if you haven't played the actual game.

Sure. But she only didn't kill Rantaro because of random chance - the intent and the planning was all there. And the mastermind wouldn't have had to meddle if it wasn't for Kaede's plan, too.

Other than that, you seem to be throwing out some pretty harsh criticisms for someone who hasn't played the game, huh :/

It's really bizarre that people feel comfortable discussing and judging a visual novel based solely on story beat spoilers. It's also notable to me that almost everyone who has raised issues with the Kaede switcheroo and the big chapter 6 twist are people who haven't actually seen the context for those events in the game.

I understand my criticism probably ring hollow because I haven't played the game. But here's the thing reading those spoilers completely killed my interest in this game and I guess I was trying to figure out why it bugs me so much.

I spoiled everything about 1 and 2. Every twist, every murderer, every motive, and every victim. I still loved both those games. But this one really irritated me because like I said it feels pointless.

If they wanted to do a twist like this so badley why did it come at the expense of the first mainline game with a female lead? Why not do the reverse and have the generic male lead be the decoy? Why advertise so heavily "Hey we have a female lead now!" Only to stuff her right in the fridge. I said it's for shock value and nothing I've read or scene from this game tells me other wise. Especially if that spoiler I mentioned above is true because then it's basically admitting IN UNIVERSE that it was meant to be a swerve.

I'm sure the plot is fine, I'm sure the characters are great, but this combined with them once again repeating certain story beats really soured my early opinion on this game in a way spoiling the previous games didn't.

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't love the story. Believe me I wish I could get excited about this game again. Part of the reason I wanted to talk about these spoilers was hoping maybe it would help me get over it and rekindle my love for the series.

Brazil

I understand my criticism probably ring hollow because I haven't played the game. But here's the thing reading those spoilers completely killed my interest in this game and I guess I was trying to figure out why it bugs me so much.

I spoiled everything about 1 and 2. Every twist, every murderer, every motive, and every victim. I still loved both those games. But this one really irritated me because like I said it feels pointless.

If they wanted to do a twist like this so badley why did it come at the expense of the first mainline game with a female lead? Why not do the reverse and have the generic male lead be the decoy? Why advertise so heavily "Hey we have a female lead now!" Only to stuff her right in the fridge. I said it's for shock value and nothing I've read or scene from this game tells me other wise. Especially if that spoiler I mentioned above is true because then it's basically admitting IN UNIVERSE that it was meant to be a swerve.

I'm sure the plot is fine, I'm sure the characters are great, but this combined with them once again repeating certain story beats really soured my early opinion on this game in a way spoiling the previous games didn't.

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't love the story. Believe me I wish I could get excited about this game again. Part of the reason I wanted to talk about these spoilers was hoping maybe it would help me get over it and rekindle my love for the series.

It's unfortunate that this happened with a female lead, indeed. But I don't think Kodaka chose a female character for the role for shock value - I honestly think he just doesn't care.

For what it's worth, Kaede's treated with a lot of respect throughout the entire game, and ends up being one of the most important characters.

Don't get caught up in the "she didn't actually kill him" thing, though, because she got so close to doing it that even she assumed she was the one who had done it. It's a mere technicality that she didn't, and it isn't a point that's brought up later as a way to "redeem her" - it's just more proof that the game's fucked up.

GSR

Yeah, to be clear, Kaede definitely is "guilty" in chapter 1 even if chapter 6 reveals the mastermind did the killing blow. The only reason she didn't actually kill Rantaro is that he happened to be standing a bit to the side of where she expected. The mastermind just steps in after that and offs him so that the game can continue.

Incidentally, I got the DRV3 artbook recently and in Kaede's profile they mention that they always wanted to do a protagonist switch by killing off the protagonist, because that was the one thing they hadn't done yet. But they thought it would be boring if she just got killed so they had her become the killer and get executed.

Personally it didn't land that well for me as a shock value thing - the idea of "the protagonist/narrator is the culprit" isn't really that new, and I'm of the opinion it's really damn hard to pull off well in a game. The whole "actually she was throwing this giant metal ball down the ventilation shaft when the narration mentioned her tossing something aside" wound up feeling like ZTD's twist all over again, lol.

sinonobu

Banned
My LE got shipped but debating whether I should still buy digital on steam so I can play tonight...

Is the game worth double dipping?

Yeah, to be clear, Kaede definitely is "guilty" in chapter 1 even if chapter 6 reveals the mastermind did the killing blow. The only reason she didn't actually kill Rantaro is that he happened to be standing a bit to the side of where she expected. The mastermind just steps in after that and offs him so that the game can continue.

Incidentally, I got the DRV3 artbook recently and in Kaede's profile they mention that they always wanted to do a protagonist switch by killing off the protagonist, because that was the one thing they hadn't done yet. But they thought it would be boring if she just got killed so they had her become the killer and get executed.

Personally it didn't land that well for me as a shock value thing - the idea of "the protagonist/narrator is the culprit" isn't really that new, and I'm of the opinion it's really damn hard to pull off well in a game. The whole "actually she was throwing this giant metal ball down the ventilation shaft when the narration mentioned her tossing something aside" wound up feeling like ZTD's twist all over again, lol.

Once again I question why they didn't have the usual generic male be the decoy. It would have been far more unexpected to have someone like Makoto and Hajime be the killer and then switch to someone different.

So many people called Kaede dying, we just hoped they wouldn't.

To be honest I think this would've been called regardless of who was the protagonist. As I said I believe it was the next logical plot twist the series hadn't done.

Probably but it would have been a little more surprising.

The "I'm the protagonist" emphasis mixed with them actually doing something pretty different set off a lot of red flags.

Brazil

My LE got shipped but debating whether I should still buy digital on steam so I can play tonight...

Is the game worth double dipping?
No game's "worth double-dipping", tbh, haha.

I'll certainly pick up a Vita copy to go with the rest of the collection, though, even though I have a digital review copy :p

GSR

Someone in the OT said:
Despite my apprehension from the demo, I decided to buy this anyway because a mainline series moving onto an exclusively female protagonist is a very rare move and I want to be appreciative of that.

YaTDhrK.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just beat the game.

The game is true despair of them all and I love it.

RRockman

Banned
Once again I question why they didn't have the usual generic male be the decoy. It would have been far more unexpected to have someone like Makoto and Hajime be the killer and then switch to someone different.

So many people called Kaede dying, we just hoped they wouldn't.

I think this is precisely why he chose Kaede. I feel like her entire thing was the red herring to distract you from the fact that this DR is a farce in the first place. He didn't want to slap you with unexpectedness right off the bat, he wanted to lull you into a sense of predictability, complacency. I feel like if he did go the unexpected route right off the bat the second twist wouldn't hit as hard.

Saw that too, wonder how many people are going to be screaming dropped later

Lmao

Are there any VN's with female protagonist? I can't really blame anyone if they get pissed because a company promised something that rarely happens and then decided "no that's not clever enough."

I rewrote this post like 8 times trying not to shit on the developers.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I can't tell if this is a positive or negative reception

I like it because it's wildly different from a lot of stories I've played. And it inflicts true to its theme, namely
Despair and Truth vs Lies

Also, I highly recommend people play the game than look up the spoilers. Just by looking at what happens in the end won't make the experience, it won't reveal the truth.

GoldStarz

I think this is precisely why he chose Kaede. I feel like her entire thing was the red herring to distract you from the fact that this DR is a farce in the first place. He didn't want to slap you with unexpectedness right off the bat, he wanted to lull you into a sense of predictability, complacency. I feel like if he did go the unexpected route right off the bat the second twist wouldn't hit as hard.

I don't buy that, especially given how overtly obvious the 'twist' with the memory lights were.

I like it because it's wildly different from a lot of stories I've played. And it inflicts true to its theme, namely
Despair and Truth vs Lies

Also, I highly recommend people play the game than look up the spoilers. Just by looking at what happens in the end won't make the experience, it won't reveal the truth.

I don't really see how it's especially different from a lot of media but to each their own.

RRockman

Banned
Are there any VN's with female protagonist? I can't really blame anyone if they get pissed because a company promised something that rarely happens and then decided "no that's not clever enough."

I rewrote this post like 8 times trying not to shit on the developers.

There's Remember 11, I believe there is multiple female leads in 428 shared with guys iirc, other than those two, I can't think of any others that donthe have parts of otome games inside that have english translations.

Top Bottom