• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends Wii U Challenge Mode eShop in April

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So they're adding this entire mode plus these extra levels? That's what you're suggesting?

DragonSworne doesnt have the greatest grip on reality. Seems obvious the devs sat down and decided what already crafted mode they could best carve out for a standalone extended trial and Challenge Mode was the obvious one, especially since they can control what challenges are "Live".

Pity to see so many responses from people you'd think Ubisoft had murdered their firstborn over to have such a longstanding grudge set in stone. "NOT ENOUGH! THIS DEBT MUST BE PAID IN BLOOD!!"

DragonSworne doesnt have the greatest grip on reality. Seems obvious the devs sat down and decided what already crafted mode they could best carve out for a standalone extended trial and Challenge Mode was the obvious one, especially since they can control what challenges are "Live".

Pity to see so many responses from people you'd think Ubisoft had murdered their firstborn over to have such a longstanding grudge set in stone. "NOT ENOUGH! THIS DEBT MUST BE PAID IN BLOOD!!"

Agreed. Be pissed off at the suits at Ubisoft all you want, but I'm pretty sure the devs are going the extra mile here. They didn't have to do this. They could have just put out another demo.

You need to write dramas or something

I hope the second part isn't directed toward me, since I've only argued about this situation being stupid from a business standpoint. I also find it highly amusing how idiotic the PR department has been.

The Rayman delay would make a great case study. It touches on business sense, employee ethics and morality, exclusivity controversy, and PR mismanagement.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
From the outside it may look like a PR disaster, but looking at the chain of events from the inside, you just can't fault whats occurred here. Yves and co would have had their heads up over the WiiU selling 10k a week in the US, 12k in Japan, and... potentially considerably less in Europe as of mid to late January. Thats when the call would have been made to change course rather than run the goodship Rayman Legends across the iceberg that is the WiiU install base.

In a Captain Hindsight scenario, they could have predicted this frightful console sale tanking in December and not forced their devs through the meat grinder of crunch for a Feb release that never came and got to announce the delay/multiplatform change earlier. But such is the double-edged sword of Christmas sales masking realities of the market.

Honestly it looks like Rayman Legends is shaping up to be a 2D PLATFORMER OF THE FOREVER with the sheer amount of content I saw lurking in those menu-screens. Another half a year to tweak and add could provide something on-par with content kings as Super Mario World.

beje

Banned
I just checked Ubi's Facebook page just for fun and... oh well, if that's not the pure definition of PR disaster I don't know what is it. They're still getting hammered by enraged fans and instead of calming people down with this announcement, it went much worse due to the 360 button prompts in the video suggesting that the exclusivity is another lie.

They can barely paste their pre-baked response in 1/10 of the posts, and it's starting to overlap with the people that paid for AC3 season pass yet are locked out of the latest DLC. I wouldn't like to be in their CM's feet.

kirby_fox

Banned
From the outside it may look like a PR disaster, but looking at the chain of events from the inside, you just can't fault whats occurred here. Yves and co would have had their heads up over the WiiU selling 10k a week in the US, 12k in Japan, and... potentially considerably less in Europe as of mid to late January. Thats when the call would have been made to change course rather than run the goodship Rayman Legends across the iceberg that is the WiiU install base.

In a Captain Hindsight scenario, they could have predicted this frightful console sale tanking in December and not forced their devs through the meat grinder of crunch for a Feb release that never came and got to announce the delay/multiplatform change earlier. But such is the double-edged sword of Christmas sales masking realities of the market.

Honestly it looks like Rayman Legends is shaping up to be a 2D PLATFORMER OF THE FOREVER with the sheer amount of content I saw lurking in those menu-screens. Another half a year to tweak and add could provide something on-par with content kings as Super Mario World.

But this isn't Mario, it's Rayman. Sending this out in September spread among consoles is going to send it out to die. I see it doing marginally better on all 3 consoles as we see people more interested in other games and upcoming console releases.

If anything, they should have aimed to have the game ready for a holiday launch. Hitting in Feb/March would have been great- slow time of year, not many games on the calendar, perfect. Hitting in September it's going to see a ton of competition in the market, a crowd that is already disinterested on the Wii U now due to the huge delay for what appears to be no reason, and likely extending the market to two consoles that aren't going to buy anyways (is the market for Rayman that good on PS3/360?).

This game will bomb on all 3 consoles and hit bargain bins by Christmas. I don't think this was a great idea for them to financially, it sounds like they should have launched on all consoles with the Wii U version being the "definitive" version that Nintendo could tout about.

Portugeezer

People would rather have the full game, you know, this month like it was meant to be. But nothing we can do now, Ubisoft won't budge so it's good they will release this free game mode for Wii U.

Although I saw a 360 RT button shown in the video, so I guess it won't be an exclusive mode like they say once it's fully released.

I never expected anything like this so I'm happy.

It's still on my top 3 hyped games list for the year (GTA5 and Mario 3D) so it doesn't really matter when it's released, as personally I'll more than likely love it.

I can see why people are annoyed at not being able to play it now but saying that releasing it in September are going to lose UBI sales is crazy. Nintendo fans in general love platforms and there will be more Wii U owners in September (maybe even a great deal more depending how Mario 3D and Mario Kart U look at E3) so it will easily sell more in September than now. Plus they will get all the sales from PS360 which they wouldn't have done before.

The only people who really have been screwed over is the developers who slaved to get the game ready for the end of February.

BuzzJive

This has been a huge PR disaster with some epic blow back for sure. Nice to see Ubi take notice though and allow the devs to give a little extra effort on this "exclusive demo". Obviously it's not the correct solution, or even an ideal solution, but it's better than ignoring it all together.

I'll download this for sure.

Effect

The more harsh feelings aren't specifically because of this I believe but due to this being another entry in the list of things third party developers have done negatively on Nintendo consoles. For many Nintendo hardware owners they remember the Capcom 5 on the GameCube. The undercutting of RE4. They remember games not coming even though the Cube could do more then the PS2 and right or wrong didn't see the GameCube disc as a valid reason to not put games on the system when other games that were on it were just as large or larger. Remember the "test" games on the Wii. Showing up for Resident Evil 4 for a second time and it doing extremely well, better then the Cube version. Only to get rail shooters. The recent undercutting of both Metal Gear Solid 3 and Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS. The slights people feel add up. Then comes Rayman Legends and I have no doubt people were waiting for the shoe to drop as they say. Which is why people aren't really bothered by the loss of exclusivity. The delay really is the slight that bothers people as its another thing to add to the list when people think about third party games on Nintendo home consoles. Playing the game only to have the rules changed on them at the last minute.

So I think when people see this they aren't just seeing the Rayman delay they're seeing everything else in addition to the Rayman delay. That would account for why some people still feel upset and won't be feeling any differently for a while. I fully understand that feeling and it's why Rayman is still at the end of the list for me in favor of other games even when it does come out. Likely won't even consider a purchase until some time in 2014 when it's greatly reduced and I have a spot for it.

jmizzal

"We'll release the full online challenges mode of the game exclusively to the Wii U fans. Now this is a really exciting feature because it's the first time Rayman has ever really been online. The online challenges mode in Rayman Legends will be accessible through the main hub. New challenges are generated weekly and daily each with its own leaderboard. The challenges take place in 5 different settings which features a unique set of gameplay styles." - Ubisoft Montpellier

- All 5 levels can be played by yourself or with up to 5 players.
- Invite friends, filter the competition in a variety of ways, try to beat the records of other players, player results are recorded on the leaderboard and also in ghost form. History system shows all player performances and overall ranking.
- It will be released in early April as a free eShop download.

The level names are The Pit, The Land of the Dead, The Infernal Tower, Dojo, & the (exclusive Wii U level) The Dungeon.

This is nice

The delay was bad but this is better then another Demo

Pie and Beans

The more harsh feelings aren't specifically because of this I believe but due to this being another entry in the list of things third party developers have done negatively on Nintendo consoles. For many Nintendo hardware owners they remember the Capcom 5 on the GameCube. The undercutting of RE4. They remember games not coming even though the Cube could do more then the PS2 and right or wrong didn't see the GameCube disc as a valid reason to not put games on the system when other games that were on it were just as large or larger. Remember the "test" games on the Wii. Showing up for Resident Evil 4 for a second time and it doing extremely well, better then the Cube version. Only to get rail shooters. The recent undercutting of both Metal Gear Solid 3 and Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS. The slights people feel add up. Then comes Rayman Legends and I have no doubt people were waiting for the shoe to drop as they say. Which is why people aren't really bothered by the loss of exclusivity. The delay really is the slight that bothers people as its another thing to add to the list when people think about third party games on Nintendo home consoles. Playing the game only to have the rules changed on them at the last minute.

So I think when people see this they aren't just seeing the Rayman delay they're seeing everything else in addition to the Rayman delay. That would account for why some people still feel upset and won't be feeling any differently for a while. I fully understand that feeling and it's why Rayman is still at the end of the list for me in favor of other games even when it does come out. Likely won't even consider a purchase until some time in 2014 when it's greatly reduced and I have a spot for it.

At which point, in adult life, you have to realise you've been playing the sides way too seriously for corporate decisions and business plans to affect your personal emotions as if a member of your own family has been slighted.

The sooner people get to that "Hang on, what has company ____ done for me personally beyond putting product on the shelf I give them money for?" realisation, the sooner this videogaming hobby becomes a lot easier to just enjoy across multiple platforms rather than fight.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
At which point, in adult life, you have to realise you've been playing the sides way too seriously for corporate decisions and business plans to affect your personal emotions as if a member of your own family has been slighted.

The sooner people get to that "Hang on, what has company ____ done for me personally beyond putting product on the shelf I give them money for?" realisation, the sooner this videogaming hobby becomes a lot easier to just enjoy across multiple platforms rather than fight.
Not that what you say is wrong, but there's irony* in your condescending tone. As an adult you spend hours after hours finding something sarcastic to say about a company you don't like.

*There are tons of better use of your "adult" time

Akey

Banned
In the video they talk like Rayman now supports online. Latter in the video they talk like it only allows you to download other users ghost and has leaderboards. I'm not sure how that counts as online but whatever.I'm guessing this means no online play as expected?

The devs are awesome. I might forgive Ubisoft if there is no play limit and enough content.

Yeah. The trailer gave me the feeling that the dev team are really saddened by the backlash and are clearly trying their best to cater to Wii U owners. They're probably working extra overtime to get all of this shit done as well as add new content / convert the game ready for other systems. I wouldn't forgive Ubisoft; I get the impression the ones behind all of this are Michel Ancel and co.

'longstanding'. it's been less than two weeks.

is this like fighting fire with fire? fighting hyperbole with hyperbole?

Then Rayman fans need to buy the game when it comes out. Boycotting isn't going to help your case. It's some backward ass logic.

This is simple to understand but you, and many others, can't quite get it. The "boycott" is to show Ubisoft that they made a bad decision and their bottom line is going to hurt because of it.

Backwards-ass logic would be to buy it and still support a company that makes shite decisions and delays a finished game because they made a previously shite decision to make the game exclusive in the first place.

I don't understand this whole "still buy the game and support Rayman derp" that people keep spouting off. So people don't agree with Ubisoft's decision, and your idea is to still support them?"In protest of your idiocy, here's my money!" Really?

And that line about how it's the poor devs that will hurt is asinine. Ubisoft KNOWS why people aren't planning on buying it anymore and if they decide to pin the potential failure on the devs then they were going to do that anyway and use them as a scapegoat.

There, easier to grasp now?

Ridley327

In the video they talk like Rayman now supports online. Latter in the video they talk like it only allows you to download other users ghost and has leaderboards. I'm not sure how that counts as online but whatever.I'm guessing this means no online play as expected?

It's unlikely that there's online play between players; Origins tended to get mighty crazy with the stuff they toss at you, and with how fast-paced the game is, the netcode would have be absolutely flawless to keep up.

Subtle

Yeah. The trailer gave me the feeling that the dev team are really saddened by the backlash and are clearly trying their best to cater to Wii U owners. They're probably working extra overtime to get all of this shit done as well as add new content / convert the game ready for other systems. I wouldn't forgive Ubisoft; I get the impression the ones behind all of this are Michel Ancel and co.

Huh? Isn't it just a mode from the game being released? That doesn't sound like too much extra work.

It's this smug, superior attitude that's the most puzzling for me in this situation. You're on a well-known video game message board and you're surprised that people care about video games? Does that sound right to you?

Huh? Isn't it just a mode from the game being released? That doesn't sound like too much extra work.

I don't think so. It's something they've created exclusively for the Wii U audience and the first time Rayman has been online. I got the impression they've created it after the backlash, hence it not releasing until sometime in April. Not entirely sure though.

NotLiquid

I don't think so. It's something they've created exclusively for the Wii U audience and the first time Rayman has been online. I got the impression they've created it after the backlash, hence it not releasing until sometime in April. Not entirely sure though.

The footage shows the RT button from 360. They said that the Wii U exclusivity is a certain type of level (the optional Murphy levels I presume) and that they are releasing that mode from the game for free before release unlike other consoles. It'll also be updated periodically.

It's going the extra mile compared to a demo but they didn't craft this mode exclusively for it. It was supposed to be a part of the game.

While I'd still rather have the known finished game delivered next week... I think that when you combine this pretty full and intense FREE OFFER from Ubi plus the known information of strong continued WiiU support with games like Watch_Dogs, I can live with this and continue to support Ubisoft. Plus I love ZombiU and will be getting AC3 on Friday due to the sale in eShop.

The footage shows the RT button from 360. They said that the Wii U exclusivity is a certain type of level (the optional Murphy levels I presume) and that they are releasing that mode from the game for free before release unlike other consoles. It'll also be updated periodically.

It's going the extra mile compared to a demo but they didn't craft this mode exclusively for it. It was supposed to be a part of the game.

Oh man, I didn't notice them showing off any 360 UI in the trailer but I see you're right. Shot themselves in the foot a bit there... This is not quite as neat as I first thought it was in that case, then. :(

Yes you can; Legends would almost certainly have sold more in Feb as a U exclusive than in Sept as a multiplat.

Doesn't the WiiU also have a right trigger?

Pie and Beans

It's this smug, superior attitude that's the most puzzling for me in this situation. You're on a well-known video game message board and you're surprised that people care about video games? Does that sound right to you?

Caring about videogames is great! Cheerleading corporations that couldnt give a shit what you do and playing little political games of purposely not buying games you actually want and long to see more the sort of and/or snubbing entire hardware systems forever due to some imagined slights against your personage? Thats where the no-no's come in.

Yes you can; Legends would almost certainly have sold more in Feb as a U exclusive than in Sept as a multiplat.

Its a pity we don't have access to alternate timelines where I could pull data from the one where Rayman released in Feb and now this timelines release, but with the sales WiiU is currently putting out, I can only assure you you're wrong.

Whatever the GTAV argument for overshadowing is, the game will now be launching fresh not only to both 360 and PS3 with no "old ported game" stigma from seeing it in WiiU bargain bins, but also to a WiiU install base that has had another half a year to increase after experiencing a pricedrop/a killer app and actually start selling.

Sciz

I don't understand this whole "still buy the game and support Rayman derp" that people keep spouting off. So people don't agree with Ubisoft's decision, and your idea is to still support them?"In protest of your idiocy, here's my money!" Really?
Er, yes? The franchise being financially unsuccessful hurts more in the long run than the delay does. At this point it's clear that the consumers can't influence the launch timing any, so conspiring to make the game less successful on the very platform that Ubisoft wasn't confident in to begin with seems like the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

RobbieNick

- All 5 levels can be played by yourself or with up to 5 players.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This is neat. My suggestion would be for everyone to download this, show some serious support. Go out and pre order the wii u version. don't stop making noise about the game. see what happens.

Flakster99

Cool idea. However I am still voting no with my dollar, because honestly, I am going to be spending it elsewhere come September. It's that simple. You snooze, you lose.
Maybe as a second hand purchase on the cheap, who knows at this point.

Ramenman

This mode looks amazing ! Hope it's part of the other consoles' releases in september.

Yeah clearly, I think by now people just enjoy being angry at the big publisher.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is this still going to have the crappy 30 times try limit?

This is neat. My suggestion would be for everyone to download this, show some serious support. Go out and pre order the wii u version. don't stop making noise about the game. see what happens.

For sure. Through this whole thing, I've kept my pre-order on Amazon. Ubisoft made a bad business move here imo in a few respects, but I still want to play the game, I still watch to play it on Wii U so I wouldn't abandon it. I don't think that would send the message to Ubi that people want ha.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah but it does not say with 5 players online. I assumed it just means with 5 players local. Either way I will give it a try I was just wondering.

No limit

Fab. Thanks.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Did you do your new avatar?

yes sir.

I have no personal message by you ;).

That's so strange, I actually did send you one. Something to do with going to Ubisoft Montpellier and stealing the game at risk of life, etc. If you're still up to it, you can go, but my intended target is no longer met. You are now useless to me.

Top Bottom