• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Cartman86

Banned
OnesyDP.jpg

LAST UPDATED: 4/13/2016 (Updated information on Oculus games working in the Vive) - 3/16/2016 (Updated Oculus launch Games and Must See Stuff section) - 3/15/2016 (Added PSVR information) - 3/13/2016 (Added FAQ question about glasses)

I wanted a thread to discuss the games, tech, and rapidly approaching release of consumer VR. This thread will be about high-end VR. Right now this means the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and PlayStation VR. There are important differences between these platforms, but let’s use these as the baseline for true modern consumer VR. Every industry is about to change and I don’t think people are prepared for how quickly it will happen. Cool stuff is happening every day right under people's noses. Note: I’m also not interesting in your definition of video game.

Virtual Reality - /vərCH(əw)əl rēˈalədē/ – In simple terms VR experiences use a headset and sometimes motion controllers to allow a user to feel like they are in another place. By combining high resolution displays for each eye, positional tracking via external sensors, and internal trackers VR gives the user the sense that they are actually looking at, moving through, and interacting with a different world. This isn’t “just a monitor”. VR is a new medium. Much of the conventional wisdom in game design, filmmaking, and general software development do not work in VR. Hybrid entertainment will be a common form VR software takes. Software is kind of the key word here too. Good VR experiences are going to most certainly require real-time computer generation. Game engines are in the perfect position for this, so naturally much of what we are seeing are games. From my experience VR is essentially all of the dreams we had with the Wii and Kinect actually coming true. Associating VR with those technologies is probably risky, but it was what immediately put a smile on my face when I started walking around a room with motion controllers perfectly tracked. I didn't think it would happen. I thought the industry had hit an evolutionary dead end. Little did we know strapping a heavy blindfold to your face would be the answer.

Presence - /prezəns/ - The subjective experience of being in another place to the degree that your mind and body are tricked. The simple example is someone asks you in VR to step off a ledge. You know in real life you are safe, but in the virtual world you still hesitate. Lots of things can break presence, and it's sort of the holy grail of VR experiences.

Occlusion - /əˈklo͞oZHən/ - Is the term for what happens when an object is interfering with tracking. Your body for example may occlude your motion controllers from being tracked if you face away from a tracking sensor. There are many possible scenarios where occlusion can come into play including improper sensor placement.

IPD (Interpupillary distance) - /in(t)ərpyo͞opəˌlerē distəns/ - The distance between the center of your two pupils. This measurement is important for the placement of the optics. If the headset doesn't match your IPD (through a software or hardware solution) the image can appear blurry.

HTC Vive
WcRLIfo.png
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Who made it: The software and original R&D is by Valve. HTC is in charge of manufacturing a real consumer product.
What is it: The HTC Vive is a room scale virtual reality system created in partnership with HTC and Valve. The HTC Vive includes motion controllers that are tracked along with the headset using what is known as a Lighthouse system. These lighthouses are laser emitting base stations that send a wave of light all around the room at imperceptible wavelengths and frequencies. The Headset and controllers have photosensitive diodes that can detect these lasers. These two base stations can be positioned in any position though it is strongly recommended you place them in opposing corners of the play place so the user can move in full 360 degrees and not run into occlusion issues. The Vive uses what is known as the chaperone system. Chaperone displays virtual tron-like grid-lines and the real world beyond it when you start to walk out of the safe bounds of your play place.
Release Date: April 5th, 2016 (Shipping) - Preorders are backed up to May
Price: $799 USD + High-End Windows PC (~$900-$1500)
Specs:
  • Vive Headset - 2160 x 1200 resolution (1080 x 1200 per eye), Two low persistence, global illumination, pentile?? AMOLED 90 Hz displays, 110 degree FOV.
  • VR Headset includes a build-in mic, front facing camera, 3.5 mm headphone jack, and USB 2.0 port for expansion purposes (headphones,Leapmotion etc.). Accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, and 360-degree positional tracking.
  • Compatible with most standard glasses. Comes with two face cushion options and adjustable strap. Adjustable IPD and eye relief distances.
  • Weight: 1.22 lbs.
  • 2 wireless controllers (Built-in rechargeable 960mAh lithium-ion battery
  • 2 base stations (Maximum tracking space up to a diagonal area of 5m. FOV is 120x120. Base stations only require standard power unless you have an object obstructing them from seeing each other. In that case they need to be connected with an included sync cable.
  • Link box (Connects using HDMI or Mini-Displayport)
  • Earbuds
  • Vive Accessories - Adhesive mounts, link box mounting pad, alternate face cushion, cleaning cloth, micro-USB charging cables
  • Safety guide and warranty card
  • Phone Services – Answer incoming calls, check your text messages and view calendar event reminders as you play.
  • For a limited time includes Tilt Brush, Fantastic Contraption, and Job Simulator
    Steam VR + Desktop Theater Mode - Can play any 2D Steam game or navigate Steam while in VR.
Hardware Requirements:
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 970, AMD Radeon™ R9 290 equivalent or better
  • CPU: Intel® i5-4590, AMD FX 8350 equivalent or better
  • RAM: 4 GB or more
  • Video Output: HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer
  • USB Port: 1x USB 2.0 or better port
  • Operating System: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10
  • Steam client and account.
  • Most standing games require 1.5mx2m space. Some less, some more.
Must See Stuff:

Oculus Rift
bTCHow4.jpg
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Who made it: Oculus. The company that started this modern VR revolution. They were purchased by Facebook in 2014.
What is it: The Oculus Rift at launch is a stationary (seated or standing with minor movement) VR system. At launch most Oculus Rift games will use the included Xbox One controller. The Rift uses a front facing camera system for positional tracking. The headset has hidden IR markers arranged in specific positions (known as Constellation tracking) that the camera can pick up. Sometime this year Oculus will release their Touch controllers and second camera. This will allow for true VR interactivity with your hands and greater degree of movement. It is unknown what position Oculus will ultimately recommend for camera placement. This will determine the degree of freedom a user can have.
Release Date: March 28th, 2016 (Shipping+select retailers in April) - Preorders are backed up to July - Oculus Touch TBD 2016
Price: $599 USD + High-End Windows PC ($900-$1500)
Specs:
  • Oculus Rift Headset - 2160 x 1200 resolution (1080 x 1200 per eye), Two low persistence OLED 90 Hz display, 110 degree FOV
  • VR Headset includes a build-in mic and headphones, accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, and 360-degree positional tracking.
  • Adjustable IPD and ships with "Multiple Facial Interfaces" for glasses users
  • Weight: 1.03 lbs.
  • Constellation camera censor (100x70 FOV)
  • Xbox One controller and wireless dongle
  • Oculus Remote
  • For a limited time includes EVE Valkyrie and Lucky’s Tale
Hardware Requirements:
  • GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD 290 equivalent or greater
  • CPU: Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
  • RAM: 8GB of RAM
  • Video Output: HDMI 1.3 (or higher)
  • USB Port: Two USB 3.0 ports. One USB 2.0 port for Xbox Controller
  • Optional: Third UBS 3.0 port when Oculus Touch is released
  • Operating System: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit or newer
Must See Stuff:
There isn't much footage of people using the final Rift at this point. There is probably an embargo right now, but expect loads of information very soon.

PlayStation VR
dDmUHH6.jpg
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Who made it: Sony
What is it: Playstation VR is a sit-down and limited standing VR system developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4. It supports gameplay using the Dual Shock 4 and in many cases two PlayStation Move controllers. Tracking is performed using the PlayStation 4 camera. Gameplay will generally involve always facing the front if using Move controllers to avoid issues with occlusion. The headset however can rotate 360 degrees. As a result player mobility will be dependent on the game. Playstation VR has what is known as "social screen" support. This is where other people can see what the person in VR sees or an entirely different perspective altogether. This can allow multiplayer gameplay with other people using a Dual Shock 4 on the couch for example. This is possible with the PC headsets and is indeed happening right now, but asynchronous gameplay will probably occur more often with PSVR. At least at the start.
Release Date: October 2016
Price: $399 USD headset + $349 USD PS4 console + ~$40 Camera + ~$60 Two PS Move Controllers (Optional) - Note: Bundles that include everything will vary by location
Specs:
  • PSVR Headset – 1920x1080 resolution (960x1080 per eye), low persistence, 5.7 inch custom OLED with RGB sub-pixel matrix 120 Hz display, 100 degree FOV
  • VR Headset includes a built-in mic, 3.5 mm headphone jack, accelerometer, gyroscope, and 360-degree positional tracking
  • Weight: 1.34 lbs.
  • Processing Unit
  • PlayStation 4 Camera (72x45 FOV) - NOT INCLUDED IN $399 SKU
  • Dual Shock 4 and PlayStation Move controller support - NOT INCLUDED IN $399 SKU
  • PlayRoom VR
  • Earphones
  • Cables, documentation etc.
  • Cinematic Mode: Can play any 2D game and video, navigate PS4 interface in the headset
Hardware Requirements:
  • PlayStation 4 Console
  • PlayStation 4 Camera (Not included in $399 SKU)
  • Optional: PlayStation Move controllers depending on the game
Must See Stuff:

The Future (or maybe right now)

Misc. Links

Frequently Asked Questions
This shit is expensive. Can my PC run VR and if not where do I start with building a machine?
Valve and Oculus have released programs to determine if your PC can run VR. Try the SteamVR Performance Test or Oculus Rift Compatibility Check tools. Honestly though if you don't meet the recommended specs don't bother. You will only get sick and angry. Ars did a good write up of different VR PC builds. It's cheaper to build your own as always, but you can buy pre-built Oculus Ready PC's. They should be good for the Vive as well, but I can't vouch for them. Whatever you do if you are already spending so much I wouldn't recommend going lower than a 980Ti. The $1500 price point will probably save you headaches in the long run. I could be wrong. Maybe the final version of every game will be optimized entirely for a $900 PC. I doubt it though.

Can I play sitting down? I don't have enough room! Do I? How much space will VR take up?
  • HTC Vive - Yes. While the majority of games designed for HTC Vive will require a minimum of 1.5m x2m available space there may be some that have sit down modes (Fantastic Contraption has demonstrated this). Don't expect this at launch though. Additionally games that are designed as sit-down experiences primarily will naturally work (Elite: Dangerous for example). The Lighthouse system doesn’t care what position you are in. As long as one lighthouse can see a few trackers on your headset you are good to go. Just remember you will always want more space though, and if you expand your bounds all the way to your real walls you may accidentally hit them. The Vive's Chaperone system will tell you the walls are there, but if you swing your arms fast enough nothing is going to stop you from hitting that wall. The Hover Junkers folks put up a video talking about the spaces that work for their game at least. The short answer though is every game will be different. If you are above that 1.5mx2m minimum though most games will be fine.
  • Oculus Rift - At launch the rift uses one camera that is intended for sit down or limited standing experiences. The Touch controllers which use two cameras and allow movement in a wider space are coming later this year. Every Touch demo so far has places these cameras in front of you which means when you turn around the controllers will no longer be tracked in space. Unless Oculus changes the placement of the cameras (which requires longer cables all going to your PC) to a similar setup as the Vive (one in each corner of your space) you won't see 360 degree room scale experiences.
  • PSVR - Playstation is going for a very similar setup as Oculus, but more focused on a living room scenario. Like with the Rift the amount of space you have to move around in will depend on the distance you are from the camera. Sony has said that most games will target sit down and very limited standing however so you don't need much room.
Here is an image demonstrating the play space sizes.
3GANvgh.jpg

I want to move headsets, base stations and the like around to different rooms without moving my computer. I need long cables! Is this possible and what does it require?
Great question. We don’t entirely know all of the specifics of this yet, but there are some things we do know.
  • HTC Vive: The way to do this is to bring the Vive’s breakout box (link box) to the room you want to play in and plug it into power there. You will then need a long HDMI and USB 2.0 ACTIVE cable to connect it the PC in the other room. If you want a "social screen" you need another HDMI cable to connect to your display. I'm curious to try a Steam Link with this though. It likely wouldn't work for various reasons. All this being said there are scattered reports of developers extending their cables, but I would not trust this without confirmation. The lighthouse base stations can be extended using a 2.1mm 12V power extension cable.
  • Oculus Rift: An actual Oculus employee has confirmed that these HDMI and USB cables will work with the Rift. They confirmed passive Displayport and DVI adapters as well. Not sure about Active cables in all this. I'm trying all of this out myself so I will report back when I know.
  • PSVR: Unknown
What about mounting the trackers? What should I get and do I need to?
  • HTC Vive: The HTC Vive base stations can be mounted using a standard ¼” screw mount. I purchased these joints to mount them to these floor to ceiling poles. You can get standard tripods as well if they work for your situation. Remember though that tripods take up space at the base. You don’t need any of this hardware, but in my situation it was great for portability. In my permanent room I will be mounting them to the ceiling using these. All that really matters is that you can get them up high (to avoid occlusion from other people) and on a stable surface. So a bookshelf will do as well. As demonstrated in this video however you can technically put them at most heights though if you have people around they may walk in front of the sensors more often at lower heights.
  • Oculus Rift: For now since Oculus uses a front facing censor this will probably depend on your desktop setup. The sensor includes its own extendable mount which should be good enough for most situations. It can be attached to any standard ¼” tripod as well.
  • PSVR: Sony is using the existing PS4 camera. Since this is a TV based VR solution it is likely you will have this set up on top of your television.

Cartman86

Banned
Moving around in room scale with a cable seems like a tripping hazard. Can I hang it?
You're right. It’s not ideal, but for the foreseeable future high-end VR will be tethered. Don't expect wireless in gen 2 either. It is really not recommended to hang the cable though as your hands will only hit it. It’s much less of a problem to just walk over it. The conventional wisdom is that you just get used to it. There are people who dispute this though.

Will I get sick?
I get sick instantly with DK2. I’ve spent multiple hours in the Vive and didn’t feel a thing. These newer headsets render at 90hz or higher which appears to help a lot. As long as games manage to maintain 90hz then it looks like you won’t get sick. Another thing that helps is natural 1:1 motion which you will find mostly with the Vive games. Games that cause your view to artificially accelerate suddenly (usually with joystick) have a high probably of making you sick. Some people claim to be able to handle it. I wouldn’t worry about it though. The games sold on the Oculus store have a comfort level rating, so if you find that you can be easily made sick consult those ratings. Don't expect existing genres to work well in VR with little changes.

What are the interfaces like? Can I navigate between games while staying in VR?
Yes both The Vive and Oculus have VR front ends. Oculus has its own client called Oculus Home. Oculus has a friends list, but right now this is limited. You have to launch a game to manually to join someone and there is no party chat. Steam VR has been public for a while though and is constantly getting updated. It has all of the functionality of Steam Big Picture. You can see a demonstration of this here. Valve also just recently announced SteamVR Desktop Theater Mode where you can play any non-VR game in a theater like VR room. I expect these sort of experiences to come fast and furious. Oculus will certainly have a movie viewer at launch. Microsoft and Oculus announced some sort of support for viewing your streamed Xbox One games in a virtual cinema as well. With PlayStation VR you can use a "Cinematic Mode" which allows the user to navigate the PS4 interface and play any PS4 game in VR (on a flat screen) in what is probably some sort of virtual room or blank space. The takeaway from all of these interlaces is that they have done a great job keeping everything in the headset.
dS5oeTe.jpg
r12g2Aw.png

If I buy a game through Steam will it work on Oculus and vise versa? Aren't these things like monitors?
This is a complicated question with some bits that aren’t 100% clear yet. To begin with it's not quite as simple as a monitor. People knew this was an issue however and began working on it. Valve has a solution and others have figured out how to get Oculus games running on the Vive through a simple enough mod so in this way they are indeed close monitors, but when it comes to game specific ideas there will be differences that will prevent games from working across headsets (room scale tracking, different tracking methods, motion controllers etc.) The question of store purchases is even more complicated.

OpenVR - OpenVR is an API and runtime by Valve that allows SteamVR (Valve’s VR Steam interface) and games to support multiple virtual reality headsets without the game having any knowledge of what headset is being used.This includes the Oculus Rift. The DK2 works right now. You can download Steam VR and see for yourself. This standard can be used by any dev if they decide that they want to put a game up for sale on both Steam and the Oculus store for example (assuming Oculus is okay with this). The SDK in fact includes the Oculus SDK, so if a dev wanted to they could release on Steam and only Steam and still support the Rift. You don't have to sell your OpenVR game on Steam at all even.

Oculus Rift - This is the tough one. People are speculating, and words have been thrown around by employees of each company that Oculus Store games will not work with SteamVR and as a result the Vive. The Oculus Store will not include the OpenVR SDK making many games essentially Rift exclusives. At launch Oculus requires the user to enable unknown sources for apps outside of Oculus home to get access to the Rift (similar to an Android phone). Games that you purchased on Steam that are also on the Oculus store may need to be purchased again or in some cases the devs are giving away free Oculus codes to those who already own the game. I'm leaning toward Oculus being the bad guy here as for the consumer the bottom line is on Steam you can use a Rift or Vive, and on the Oculus Store you can only use a Rift.

All of this is par for the course though. Valve loves to be as open as possible in an attempt to get people to think of them as benevolent so they can get your money, and Oculus is going down the proprietary app store route and will get your money that way. These companies ultimately don’t care about you and never will.

UPDATE: Someone has figured out a way to get games purchased in the Oculus Store to run on the Vive. https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive.

What countries do these products ship to?
  • HTC Vive - Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States
  • Oculus Rift - Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States
  • PSVR - "Worldwide" according to Sony.
Which one should I get?
Unless you would rather wait for (possibly) cheaper and better hardware in the second revisions you can't really go wrong with any of them. I have a very strong personal preference, but I won't put it in the OP. GDC is days away and is going to contain a lot more specifics on all of the platforms. You may want to wait until then before you preorder anything.

Can I wear my glasses? Do I need two eyes?
There are people who claim they can use it without their glasses. I can't speak to this, but you generally hear that if you are nearsighted you will need to wear glasses as the optics are set to focus at distance objects. Oculus has designed their headset to fit most glasses however. There are different face cushion/gaskets that can be swapped out to fit glasses. There are stories i've read where people couldn't fit their glasses. It's possible that they didn't have the right cushion thing on. The Vive has a manual switch that can push the screen in and out to fit glasses. The screen on the PlaystationVR can be sort of pushed forward and back almost as if on a rail so most glasses should be fine. You hear the same stories for them all though so your mileage may vary. Regarding needing two eyes. How you see in real life is how you will see in VR. You adapt to the lack of a second eye by using other cues in the environment to create a sort of 3D image (parallax for example). You will likely still get a lot out of it. Particularly with tracked controllers. I'm unsure about accessibility options however. This medium will be a test of developers and publishers resolve in caring about accessibility options. That's for sure.

Where are the real games?
Like all brand new game platforms you don't know how a traditional game mechanic will work in VR until you've tried it. Some don't work at all. They make you sick or are simply boring. Why add a "pick up" button when you can actually pick something up? This makes a lot of simple actions people may think are old hat (throwing something, swinging a sword, shooting) incredibly new and novel. It also makes standard movement difficult. Moving with a traditional joystick can make many people sick, and aiming with a joystick will make most everyone sick. New game design methods will have to be developed, and many are developing very rapidly. What about getting back to basics? Getting away from the collectathons and OCD map unveiling that plagues modern game design. That's what most of these early VR games are. For me the VR i've tried has been eye opening and has shown an even brighter light on the downward trend currently facing AAA game design. What one might consider standard games exist. The Oculus Rift will have a number of these at launch. Check out Chronos, Lucky's Tale, and many others for information on that. Ultimately all that I can really say is you have to actually try these things before you truly know what anyone is really talking about. Below are some examples of what I consider to be among the most compelling VR games. Maybe they will convince you.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

There are a lot of announced games for VR. There are some like "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" which is only supported and technically announced for the Rift, but the devs have said they are working on Vive support and visa versa. I’m also only listing launch titles and things I think might be of interest right now. If something important is missing let me know.

The Games (TBD) - Games that don't have specified platforms yet
Werewolves Within - Ubisoft

The Games (HTC Vive)
The Lab - Valve - April 5th, 2016???
Job Simulator: The 2050 Archives – Awlchemy Labs – April 5th, 2016
Tilt Brush – Google – April 5th, 2016
Fantastic Contraption - Radial Games/Northway Games - April 5th, 2016
HoverJunkers – StressLevelZero – April 5th, 2016
Audioshield – Dylan Fitterer - April 5th, 2016
A Legend of Luca – Legend Studio – April 5th, 2016
Windlands - April 5th, 2016
Surgeon Simulator – April 5th, 2016
The Gallery – Cloudhead Games – April 5th, 2016
#SelfieTennis – VRUnicorns – April 5th, 2016
Cloudlands Minigolf – Futuretown.io – April 5th, 2016
Space Pirate Trainer – I-Illusions – April 5th, 2016
The Brookhaven Experiment – Phosphor Games – April 5th, 2016
Modbox – Alientrap – April 5th, 2016
Waltz of the Wizard – Aldin Dynamics – April 5th, 2016
Vanishing Realms - Indimo Labs - April 5th, 2016
Raw Data – Survios – April 5th, 2016
Water Bears – Schell Games – April 5th, 2016
Final Approach – Phaserlock – April 5th, 2016
Marble Mountain – Lightning Rock – April 5th, 2016
Elite: Dangerous – Frontier Development – April 5th, 2016
Holodance – Narayana Games UG - April 5th, 2016
Felt Tip Circus – Alpha Wave – April 5th, 2016
Apollo 11 – April 5th, 2016
Universe Sandbox 2 – April 5th, 2016
iOmoon - Spring 2016
Paranormal Activity - Summer
Pool Nation VR - TBD
John Wick: The Impossible Task - Starbreeze - TBD
EVE: Gunjack - CCP - TBD
Arizona Sunshine – Vertigo Games – TBD
Sisters – Otherworld Interactive - TBD
Giant Corp – Other Ocean - TBD
Budget Cuts – Neat Corporation – TBD
Bullet Train - Epic - TBD
Star Citizen - TBD
Eagle Flight – Ubisoft - TBD

The Games (Oculus Rift) - Prices
Windlands – March 28th, 2016
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes – March 28th, 2016
ADR1FT – March 28th, 2016
Project C.A.R.S – March 28th, 2016
EVE: Valkyrie - CCP – March 28th, 2016
Lucky’s Tale – March 28th, 2016
Chronos – March 28th, 2016
Sublevel Zero - March 28th, 2016
Pinball FX2 VR - March 28th, 2016
Dread Halls - March 28th, 2016
Elite: Dangerous – March 28th, 2016
Apollo 11 – March 28th, 2016
Adventure Time– March 28th, 2016
Airmech Command – March 28th, 2016
Albino Lullaby – March 28th, 2016
Audio Arena – March 28th, 2016
Darknet – March 28th, 2016
Dead Secret – March 28th, 2016
Esper 2 – March 28th, 2016
Fly to KUMA – March 28th, 2016
EVE: Gunjack – CCP - March 28th, 2016
Herobound SC – March 28th, 2016
Omega Agent – March 28th, 2016
Rooms – March 28th, 2016
Shuttlepuck Cantina Deluxe VR – March 28th, 2016
Defense Grid 2 VR – March 28th, 2016
Radial-G – March 28th, 2016
Smashing the Bottle – March 28th, 2016
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter – March 28th, 2016
Vektron Revenge – March 28th, 2016
VR Tennis Online – March 28th, 2016
BlazeRush – March 28th, 2016
The Climb – Crytech - April
Please, Don't Touch Anything - April
iOmoon - Spring 2016
Paranormal Activity - TBD
American Truck Simulator – TBD
Edge of Nowhere –Insomniac Games - TBD
Hover Junkers [Touch Game] – StressLevelZero – TBD
Job Simulator [Touch Game] - TBD
Dead & Buried [Touch Game] - Oculus Studios - TBD
VR Sports [Touch Game] - TBD
Damaged Core - TBD
Minecraft - TBD
Fantastic Contraption [Touch Game] - Radial Games/Northway Games - TBD
Arizona Sunshine [Touch Game] – Vertigo Games – TBD
Rock Band VR [Touch Game] – Harmonix - TBD
I Expect You To Die - TBD
Gang Beasts VR - TBD
The Gallery: Six Elements [Touch Game] – Cloudhead Games - TBD
P.O.L.L.E.N - TBD
Battlezone - TBD
Bullet Train [Touch Game] - Epic - TBD
Star Citizen - TBD
Eagle Flight – Ubisoft - TBD
Dragon Front - High Voltage

The Games (Playstation VR) - All release dates are TBD though expect many to be launch titles. Thread dedicated to PSVR games in more detail
100ft Robot Golf – No Goblin
Ace Combat 7 – Namco
ADR1FT
Apollo 11 – TBD
Battlezone
Dreams - Media Molecule
Eagle Flight – Ubisoft
The Easel – Harmonix
EVE Valkyrie – CCP
Futuridium EP Deluxe
GNOG - Ko_op
Golem – Highware Games
Goldling
Gran Turismo Sport – Polyphony
Headmaster
Holodance
Hyper Void
Job Simulator – The 2015 Archives
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
The Modern Zombie Taxi Co.
The Playroom VR
P.O.L.L.E.N
Project C.A.R.S
Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin
Radial-G
Rez Infinite
Rigs: Mechanized Combat League - Sony
Robinson: The Journey – Crytek
Surgeon Simulator
Superhypercube
Synthesis Universe = OlivierJT
Technolust
Tekken 7 - Namco
Trackmania Turbo - Ubisoft
Tumble VR - Sony
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood – Supermassive Games
Vanguard V - Zero Transform
Volume - Coda - Mike Bithell
VR Worlds – Sony
Warthunder
Wayward Sky - Uber Entertainment
White Day: A Labyrinth Named School - SCEK
Paranormal Activity

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There are a few PSVR titles that are just tech demo and not WIP titles.

Like Final Fantasy XIV and Summer Lesson.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
SLI Titan X + Vive preorder checking in! Looking forward to multi-GPU support via VR SLI, DirectX 12 and Vulkan.

I'm planning to pick up PSVR too. Glad to hear it's shaping up to be much higher quality than people were expecting.

It's worth noting that PSVR has a custom OLED display that has three sub-pixels per pixel.

Nice, sounds like it might beat Vive when it comes to screen door effect.

Jams775

I was under the impression that the Vive included mounting brackets for the light emitters. Is that not the case? I think I have two camera tripods I could used or maybe shelves. Is about 6' high enough? Or whatever $20 tripods reach?

Elandyll

Banned
You have no idea how hard it was for me to resist the ole' "One of these VR devices is not like the other" comment.
And if the $299 PSVR pricepoint ends up confirmed, I expect that kind of comments to flood the Sony PSVR presser thread tbh.
That's going to be a fun Tuesday.

Raticus79

I was under the impression that the Vive included mounting brackets for the light emitters. Is that not the case? I think I have two camera tripods I could used or maybe shelves. Is about 6' high enough? Or whatever $20 tripods reach?

Yup, should be fine. They're light enough that you could use 3M mounting strips too.

dottme

I did not see anything on FFXIV. Do we have videos?

That the kind of game I like but I hardly see how it will work in VR.

Cartman86

Banned

The Vive Pre did (which is what some press and youtubers have got). Not actually sure if this was clarified for the final version. It might be what's refereed to as "Vive Accessories" in the box.

Awww I was looking forward to the schadenfreude of Summer Lesson being a real thing. Also though even if it was gross seeing a big budget attempt at character animation in VR would be cool.

I have compatible USB 3 ports but only two ports. Can I buy a USB 3 hub to use with the rift? Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PHPWLPA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Will this work with the Oculus Rift so long as it's plugged into a supported USB 3 port?
I don't believe we have an answer on the efficacy of hubs yet. Powered or not. My understanding is that there may be USB controller issues with the Rift components being plugged into the same port essentially when a Hub is used. A PCI card is your only guaranteed at this point. This is the card Oculus recommends (there are compatibility issues with USB 3.0. I know USB 3.0 sucks). You only need 2 UBS 3.0 ports right now though so if you have two free ones you are good until Touch comes out.

tr00per

One thread to rule them all. Well done OP

I hope my am4 cpu and r9 380 will handle vive. Though oculus is bringing it with the game support

Cartman86

Banned
Cartman86... you're missing Zen Pinball FX 2 VR from the game lists. Launches March 28th for the Rift. Speaking from plenty of time with the mod for The Pinball Arcade, pinball in VR is awesome.

https://blog.zenstudios.com/?p=6183

Hey now. I totally regret nothing in choosing this name and hope Sony never lets me change it on PSN.

Didn't see they announced that. That looks pretty cool. I really loved New Retro Arcade with the DK2. Recreations of other mediums within VR worlds work really well.

I thought it was typically discouraged to have megathreads?

Anyhow, you're looking a little thin on the PSVR must see stuff so here is some more to add :)

PSVR Must See stuff:

PSVR at Vision Summit 2016

RIGS at PSX 2015 Livecast Coverage

Rez Infinite Gameplay trailer

EDIT: I also have some hands-on experience with PSVR from PSX 2014 and 2015. Played: London Heist, Eve Valkyrie, Rigs, Rez and War Thunder (at 2014 PSX, not sure if War Thunder will actually end up being a PSVR title though).

Cartman86

Banned

Anyhow, you're looking a little thin on the PSVR must see stuff so here is some more to add :)

PSVR Must See stuff:

PSVR at Vision Summit 2016

RIGS at PSX 2015 Livecast Coverage

Rez Infinite Gameplay trailer

EDIT: I also have some hands-on experience with PSVR from PSX 2014 and 2015. Played: London Heist, Eve Valkyrie, Rigs, Rez and War Thunder (at 2014 PSX, not sure if War Thunder will actually end up being a PSVR title though).

Wondered if the Vision talks were too long for people but fuck it. They are too good.

Wace

not sure if War Thunder will actually end up being a PSVR title though

Devs haven't confirmed or denied that yet, though the question is asked constantly. General feeling is that there will be some kind of support, but maybe for some game mods only. It's listed on most of the PSVR lists though.

War Thunder is also coming to PSVR.

Devs haven't confirmed or denied that yet, though the question is asked constantly. General feeling is that there will be some kind of support, but maybe for some game mods only. It's listed on most of the PSVR lists though.

I could've sworn reading something in the patch notes of an update for the game about PSVR support being added in.

Edit- Here is an article with the CEO of the studio saying it already works in PSVR (at the time, Morpheus): http://vrfocus.com/archives/21220/gaijin-ceo-talks-vr-in-war-thunder-crossout-and-much-more/

Anton Yudintsev (AY): Well, currently War Thunder works for both main VR systems, Oculus and Project Morpheus for PC and PS4. So we haven’t tried HTC Vive yet. The thing is, HTC Vive is a very cool device but not really gamer friendly. I mean that it requires a lot of space. So, personally, I like it, it’s very cool, you can walk with it but it’s not required for War Thunder to walk. So we cannot use all the advantages of the HTC Vive because the main advantage is that you have that space to walk. It’s not required for War Thunder; you’re sitting in a chair as the pilot and controlling the aircraft. I think, because of that, of course we will support it as a virtual reality device eventually, but unfortunately we can’t explore its advantages so instead we’ve focused on Oculus and Project Morpheus.

GReeeeN

Wait a second... So vive games won't work with oculus and oculus games won't work with vive??

Are these VR headsets being launched as platforms rather than a PC peripheral...?

I can see this serverly damaging the market and now I'm reconsidering a purchase....

Raticus79

Megathreads themselves are ok (e.g. Steam thread), it's just that it shouldn't be expected that people should have to check megathreads for news. New threads for new news.

I'd say there was a need for a general VR thread - people would often want to talk about non-thread-worthy general VR stuff but only had the headset-specific threads before.

Wait a second... So vive games won't work with oculus and oculus games won't work with vive??

Are these VR headsets being launched as platforms rather than a PC peripheral...?

I can see this serverly damaging the market and now I'm reconsidering a purchase....
Are you talking about the War Thunder dev? I got the impression he was just trying to say there wouldn't be any room-scale stuff in WT, and he just wasn't doing a very good job of it.

That, or he was confused and thought Vive wasn't suitable for small spaces, which a lot of folks mistakenly believed when it was first announced.

Cartman86

Banned

I was just adding a section to the FAQ for this.

If I buy a game through Steam will it work on Oculus and visa versa? Aren't these things like monitors?
This is a complicated question with some bits that aren’t 100% clear yet. To begin with it's not as simple as a monitor. People knew this was an issue however and began working on it. Valve has a solution, but when it comes to game specific ideas there will be differences that will prevent games from working across headsets (room scale tracking, different tracking methods, motion controllers etc.) The question of store purchases is even more complicated.

OpenVR - OpenVR is an API and runtime by Valve that allows SteamVR (Valve’s VR Steam interface) and games to support multiple virtual reality headsets without the game having any knowledge of what headset is being used.This includes the Oculus Rift. The DK2 works right now. You can download Steam VR and see for yourself. This standard can be used by any dev if they decide that they want to put a game up for sale on both Steam and the Oculus store for example. This SDK in fact includes the Oculus SDK, so if a dev wanted to they could release on Steam and only Steam and still support the Rift.

Oculus Rift - This is the one we don’t know about yet. People are speculating, and words have been thrown around by employees of each company that Oculus Store games will not work with SteamVR and as a result the Vive. The Oculus Store will not include the OpenVR SDK etc. We will know soon enough though.

All of this is par for the course though. Valve loves to be as open as possible in an attempt to get people to think of them as benevolent so they can get your money, and Oculus is going down the proprietary app store route and will get your money that way. These companies ultimately don’t care about you and never will.

"Lumping PS-VR within this thread which is titled high end VR is quite ironic."

Eh, PSVR is much closer to Rift/Vive than Cardboard/GearVR.

Tain

Yeah, what constitutes "high end" is obviously not going to be nailed down, but given that PSVR has the highest refresh rate of the three, the only RGB screen of the three, and that it has all the bird's-eye view major-checkbox functionality of its competitors, I think it pretty safely has a place in here.

Anyway, I'm so fucking excited. I have a Rift preordered, and I see myself jumping on the Vive fairly quickly to get my hands on those motion controllers and try to get them going in my game.

PSVR is also a must-buy at some point for Rez and surely other eventual exclusives (assuming Japanese VR gaming will lean toward it, after all).

Cartman86

Banned
Lumping PS-VR within this thread which is titled high end VR is quite ironic.

I was actually thinking something similar. What constitutes "high end"? What's the bar?

The only definitions I was interested in for this thread is VR that has positional tracking and can create presence. I could have gone with tethered VR I suppose. Basically I didn't want to lump this in with Mobile VR or sub 75hz devices that don't support the type of tracking I feel is required for VR to actually stick around. PSVR may be at the low end of that, but it's still important for the medium right now.

Cartman86

Banned
StressLevelZero has 2 hours left in their Indigogo campaign. Their online multiplayer shooter Hover Junkers is a Vive and Oculus Touch launch title. They just hit the goal today, but if you planned on backing and pre-ordering a copy of the game along with having your name put on an in-game monument this is your last chance.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hover-junkers#/

So watching these vive videos makes me think maybe the Vive is the better option than the oculus. My question is, is htc selling in waves like oculus? If I preordered now when would I get it?

Top Bottom