• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ozark - Official Trailer (Netflix original series starring Jason Bateman)

I always like Bateman but it was nice to see him in a role like this. Also nice to see Linney back. I feel like I haven't seen her in anything since like 2001-2006 where she was everywhere. Just a good overall show that had me hooked which is usually hard. If I'm not captivated by the first episode I'll have issues

5taquitos

We just wrapped it up tonight, super satisfied. Really don't have many complaints, just good shit from start to finish. Definitely looking forward to season 2.

Calm Mind

Friend tells me to watch Ozark: Curiosity- "Bah, this Breaking Bad wanna be. Oh well, guess I'll watch episode one."

Episode One: Intrigue- "Ok, I like this. I'm hooked!"

Episode Five: Confusion- "So creepy FBI guy
Is such the Casanova that he seduces a redneck with fly fishing romance? Sure, ok. What is he, like charming men with his poor nervous jittery voice and mock sincerity?

Episode Six: Doubt- "...Well I guess he can. Also, I'm not really feeling
how random bad fortune happens at the most inopportune moment to progress the plot.
"

Episode Seven: Anger- "
Did she just walk out into the road and get hit? I knew it would happen, and yup... it did. Ugh, I bet Marty needs to give back the investment money. I hate this show.
I quit."

Intermission for 3 days... Friend tells me to finish the show.

Episode Nine: Shock-

Oh wow... that ending.

Episode Ten: Acceptance- Great payoff. I take it back, I like this show. Bring on next season.

This post completes me.

jonno394

I watched this as soon as it became available on Netflix but forgot to comment. An all round solid show. Great cast, well written and watchable. Cannot wait for season 2. My one disappointment is that *big spoiler*
Esai Morales won't be back. :(

Just finished episode 5, loving it so much.
The pilot was one of the best I've ever seen.
I hated Ruth at the beginning, but I'm starting to like her.
Still hate Charlotte tho.

Charlotte was the one character that was not well written. They tried to play her as the angsty teen, but it never worked. I've seen some complaints about the son, but I think he was fine. He just needs to remember
always check to see if your weapon is loaded.

Also I swear the actress who plays Charlotte looks like she could be the sister of Jade Castrinos (formerly of Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros)

edwardsharpe.jpg

UrbanRats

One of my favorite scenes is when the Bar Owner is reading through Bateman's books and confronts him about how bullshit it is.

Normally, she would tell him to leave and he would just get up and go. But in this he GETS FIERY! He is screaming, she is screaming, and it was incredibly realistic.
I agree, i like how they handle Marty in several of those scenes, for that reason.

UrbanRats

Episode 7
I wish the daughter drowned. And her brother too somehow.
God, the kids are annoying as hell.
That wouldve been really cheap drama.
When that scene was happening i was hoping for the writers to not be that stupid.

Thankfully they werent.

Grazzt

Just finished it. Amazing finale.
Ruth is definitely my favourite character in this show. Her development is so well done. And people wondering why
she killed her uncles. It's not just about Marty showing her respect. Wendy also helped her after Ross hit her, and telling Ruth to call her if Ruth needs anything is really a powerful action. I would love to see more about Ruth in Season 2, and Wendy keeping the promise.

Del's death was such a surprise. When he said red neck and Darlene told him to say it again, I knew this would happen. Damn, I hate Snells, and I hope they suffer some miserable death in season 2.

Other characters are also well written, the creepy FBI guy (I think he has really developed some feelings for
Ross
, and we still don't know why he broke up with his ex), Buddy (he knows too much about
disposing a body
, and
getting rid of the bullets so Jonah wouldn't be a killer, and him killing Del's guy
, I like him a lot), Rachel (I believe her story will not end there), and the preacher Mason (THAT scene was really dark).
The only character I hate from beginning to the end is Charlotte. She is the only one that hasn't shown any development.

Shrugs, I liked Charlotte.
The FBI agent is the only character I'm kinda meh on. So much overracting.
Also the Snells but the show obviously wants you to hate them.

Shrugs, I liked Charlotte.
The FBI agent is the only character I'm kinda meh on. So much overracting.
Also the Snells but the show obviously wants you to hate them.

My favorite part about the Snells is
the wife is the one with the temper and wants to murder everyone. You think about it, women are the murders in this season (outside of the cartel).

One person that doesn't get enough credit is Peter Mullan as Jacob Snell. He is always great at delivering a parable or any kind of speech. If you haven't seen him in Quarry, you should check it out. It is a Cinemax series from 2016, but it only got 1 season. That said it works only being 1 season, and it is a great show (I would say it's season 1 was better than Ozarks). Shame they didn't renew it.

eso76

That wouldve been really cheap drama.
When that scene was happening i was hoping for the writers to not be that stupid.

Thankfully they werent.

True, but..i guess that scene was supposed to have some significance.
Obvious but effective symbolism for
touching the bottom to rise again, except Charlotte didn't seem to rise that much in the following episodes

Which in retrospect made it seem..just there.

DOWN

Banned
I’m sure others have said this but the show is guaranteed to be more impactful for those who haven’t seen Breaking Bad. It’s pretty good, but the shock of the scenario are less fresh if you know Breaking Bad’s misfortune elements.

Burt

I didn't love Charlotte, but in terms of hateable TV kids/teens, she barely makes the list.

The only part that felt like TV-drama forced rollercoastery twist to me was
the garbage truck, but on the other hand, I did hate that mom.
It's certainly no worse than death by carpet with obvious telegraphed oranges in the shot.

Am I remembering incorrectly or is the last scene with the hotel manager
her taking all of the money from the walls of the bungalow and driving off with it?

I don't remember if anyone found this out or not.

Am I remembering incorrectly or is the last scene with the hotel manager
her taking all of the money from the walls of the bungalow and driving off with it?

I don't remember if anyone found this out or not.

If i remember correctly
she only took 3 bag/suitcase worth. She can't load 50 million in cash in her little car. Remember they brought the thing in via big truck. And yea no one knew about it when the show ended.

I’m sure others have said this but the show is guaranteed to be more impactful for those who haven’t seen Breaking Bad. It’s pretty good, but the shock of the scenario are less fresh if you know Breaking Bad’s misfortune elements.

I do think part of the allure with Breaking bad was the slow build up to how awful the world of the cartel actually is thus giving things a bit more impact. I hope season 2 is able to escalate things even further without becoming too ridiculous

I thought Bateman did a good job but Laura Linney was incredible

Ri'Orius

Just finished. Enjoyable show. I liked that
the whole family was in the loop for most of the season: it wasn't the usual "we need to keep this a secret!" drama, but instead "how the fuck do you react when you find out your dad's a money launderer for a Mexican cartel and they might kill you soon?" drama.

One question I still have, though: how does money laundering work with
inflating construction costs? Like, I get the strip club and bar/gas stuff: you really make $50, you throw in $10 of dirty money, report it all as legit profit: clean money. But how do you go from "I hired someone to renovate a bunch of lodges and paid them $10k" when you really only paid them $5k and make that make sense? Did Marty own the contractors doing the work or something?

the metacritic + blurbs for this show are baffling

I dunno this one seems pretty accurate to me so far

The producers have come up with a somber, plodding, almost entirely humorless mix of Breaking Bad and Justified,

hard not to agree with sepinwall as well that this all feels a bit overly familiar if you've watched a bit of TV

its entertaining enough to keep watching.. I'm a little tired of the unhinged investigator trope that I'm seeing seeds of

I dunno this one seems pretty accurate to me so far

hard not to agree with sepinwall as well that this all feels a bit overly familiar if you've watched a bit of TV

its entertaining enough to keep watching.. I'm a little tired of the unhinged investigator trope that I'm seeing seeds of

As someone who has followed Sepinwall since the days of The Wire and The Sopranos, I strongly disagree with him on this review (the plodding comment I find 100% wrong). While I can see why someone would say this show might be somewhat familiar, it is done in a way that is quite different than Justified and Breaking Bad. Actually the Justified comment is a big reach. Tone wise and story wise it is in a different universe. I guess in his mind anything with white trash or rural America needs to be compared with Justified? I can get the Breaking Bad comparisons more, but they did a smart move by bringing the family in on it so fast. No bullshit drama of 'When will they find out?'. Also Ozark from the first frame has always felt like a dark noir which neither of the shows mentioned do. Given that tone I had no real issue with the lack of humor. I love Sepinwall (we share the same love for most shows, especially lately the Leftovers), but I don't agree with him sometimes.

Now I have watched a bit of TV (been watching HBO Sunday nights non-stop since the late 90's when OZ started), and I've seen most shows that are considered great in this golden age of television drama. So I get why would this might be familiar to many, but never once did that effect my enjoyment of this.

One thing I will agree on is 'unhinged investigator' trope. It was almost eye rolling overdone (
when he smashed up his hotel room or shot the TV at the bar
). If they backed it down by 50% he would of been a better character.

Edit: To be clear I find Breaking Bad a superior show to this, but there is no need to compare the two. I wasn't that big of a fan of Justified despite my love for Olyphant (Deadwood for life), Elmore Leonard novels, and stories about rural Appalachia (I'm from the mountains of NC).

Kadayi

Banned
As someone who has followed Sepinwall since the days of The Wire and The Sopranos, I strongly disagree with him on this review (the plodding comment I find 100% wrong). While I can see why someone would say this show might be somewhat familiar, it is done in a way that is quite different than Justified and Breaking Bad. Actually the Justified comment is a big reach. Tone wise and story wise it is in a different universe. I guess in his mind anything with white trash or rural America needs to be compared with Justified? I can get the Breaking Bad comparisons more, but they did a smart move by bringing the family in on it so fast. No bullshit drama of 'When will they find out?'. Also Ozark from the first frame has always felt like a dark noir which neither of the shows mentioned do. Given that tone I had no real issue with the lack of humor. I love Sepinwall (we share the same love for most shows, especially lately the Leftovers), but I don't agree with him sometimes.

Yeah, I pretty surprised Sepinwall dropped the ball on this. Generally, I've found him on point with a lot of shows (Leftovers especially) but I think his read on Ozark is well....kind of lazy really. I think he went in with assumptions of Breaking Bad meets Justified based off of the trailer, but didn't check himself accordingly.
Marty is as far from WW as you can get despite being a criminal, and Ruth is like the Anti-Jesse, where he's a fuck up, she's ambitious and determined
. I was listening to the Watch Podcast the other day and one of the guys on that was really selling Ozark though and hopefully, Greenwald will get on board as well. It deserve's to get more coverage, and we need that second season.

SalvaPot

This show delivered, specially in a post-Breaking Bad world it managed to be its own thing, also Jason Bateman proved to be a competent director.

This show delivered, specially in a post-Breaking Bad world it managed to be its own thing, also Jason Bateman proved to be a competent director.

Dude can deliver intensity. Definitely worth checking out The Gift.

Same with Adam Scott and The Vicious Kind.

WriterGK

Dude can deliver intensity. Definitely worth checking out The Gift.

Same with Adam Scott and The Vicious Kind.
Yeah the Gift is great. Joel Edgerton directed it and starts along Bateman.
This show is good. Really great season final. Excited for season 2. Is it renewed already?
Ruth is awesome.

My favorite part about the Snells is
the wife is the one with the temper and wants to murder everyone. You think about it, women are the murders in this season (outside of the cartel).

One person that doesn't get enough credit is Peter Mullan as Jacob Snell. He is always great at delivering a parable or any kind of speech. If you haven't seen him in Quarry, you should check it out. It is a Cinemax series from 2016, but it only got 1 season. That said it works only being 1 season, and it is a great show (I would say it's season 1 was better than Ozarks). Shame they didn't renew it.

Mullan did a pretty damn good job covering his Scottish accent.
Loved him in Session 9 (haunting performance) so I was thrilled when he showed up here. The Snells immediately felt dangerous- and that credit really goes to the acting of the couple. Good stuff.

Mullan did a pretty damn good job covering his Scottish accent.
Loved him in Session 9 (haunting performance) so I was thrilled when he showed up here. The Snells immediately felt dangerous- and that credit really goes to the acting of the couple. Good stuff.

He's great in everything. For those that haven't seen it I recommend the film Tyrannosaur, it's an incredibly bleak film but the performances are brilliant.

lcd

Finished watching the season over the weekend and enjoyed the series quite a bit. Hoping for a second season as well.

One of the things that bothered me though.
Both Marty and Bruce saw what happened to the guy that was stealing from the cartel and working with the feds (strangled and eyes ripped out), yet Bruce still thought it'd be a good idea to skim money from Del/the cartel. I know it's the whole set up for the show but it's amazing how stupid they made Bruce's character.

kevin1025

Banned
Finished watching the season over the weekend and enjoyed the series quite a bit. Hoping for a second season as well.

One of the things that bothered me though.
Both Marty and Bruce saw what happened to the guy that was stealing from the cartel and working with the feds (strangled and eyes ripped out), yet Bruce still thought it'd be a good idea to skim money from Del/the cartel. I know it's the whole set up for the show but it's amazing how stupid they made Bruce's character.

It was just renewed!

nampad

Binged it on my long distance flight and the following day.

The show started great but the excitement was lost the longer the show went on. His money laundering was interesting but they kept pushing those side story road blocks in.
The wife was partly less annoying than other wife characters on TV but the kids were really annoying and just kept being annoying even though they knew what was happening (
stop whining and give up your fucking phone, everyone is about to die!
).

The
flashback
episode was one of the most boring episodes I have watched in a long time, there was no need to such an episode.

My favorite scene was
the gun purchase though
, laughed my ass off.

Overall, the show was above average, I will continue to watch season 2.

KarmaCow

Just finished this up and enjoyed it way more than I was expecting from the trailer. I'm not sure how to articulate it but I enjoyed the somber and sullen tone of the show. It's not so bleak so that there is no hope but pretty much every character has about fifty pounds of baggage crushing them without it being a mess of too much drama. Part of that is secrets seemingly don't last long but the show is also taking place about five years after the initial trauma that broke them and now everyone has just accepted it. Ruth in particular is great in that regard.

In season 2 they just need to figure out what to do with Charlotte and Wyatt who were both pretty half assed, and the FBI guy who is just too much. They somewhat justified why the FBI guy is unhinged but it's still tiring to see him be an angry sociopath all the time. Full season spoilers
It's especially bad since they killed Russ and any hope of grounding him.

Flo_Evans

Pretty good show. I don't see how they can keep the danger level this high for another season though.

I also don't know how the FBI roadblock at the end of the driveway was like "welp, you got us! Free to go" no one heard the gunshots in the house? They were going to arrest Marty anyway why let him go in the car the drug overlord was driving earlier that day?

Why would the Snells even let him leave? He knows way to much about their shit.

quit after episode 4, can't stand the dislikeable cast, boring pace and the blue colour filter.

This was my wife and I after episode 2. This show is pretty much right up our alley but just couldnt watch it. Dont see whats so good about it, and I doubt it gets much better.

NandoGip

I'm almost done with this show, just finished episode 8. Would you guys agree that the writing of the characters are just reaaaally fucking good?

Surprised me how much I've been enjoying this show.

I've finished the show and definitely enjoyed it. All around great cast too.

But there's a few things i don;t get...i probably wasn't paying attention.

I believe it was episode 9 or even 10 where Marty tells his wife it's done, it's over. At first i thought this meant he had sent all the money to Del Rio and he was truly done. But actually all the money was still in his possession and they hid it in the walls.

Then we get the scene were Del Rio's goon is acting weird, as if he wants to kill Marty's wife and children....why is this? Surely Del didn't want that and that's where it all went south. Then we have the preacher acting on his own which puts him against Jacob but apparently Marty and his family now have to fear for Jacob as well. Why? It's not Marty's fault that the preacher is not willing to do his job anymore.

I feel kinda stupid now...i must have been half asleep.

KodaRuss

I've finished the show and definitely enjoyed it. All around great cast too.

But there's a few things i don;t get...i probably wasn't paying attention.

I believe it was episode 9 or even 10 where Marty tells his wife it's done, it's over. At first i thought this meant he had sent all the money to Del Rio and he was truly done. But actually all the money was still in his possession and they hid it in the walls.

Then we get the scene were Del Rio's goon is acting weird, as if he wants to kill Marty's wife and children....why is this? Surely Del didn't want that and that's where it all went south. Then we have the preacher acting on his own which puts him against Jacob but apparently Marty and his family now have to fear for Jacob as well. Why? It's not Marty's fault that the preacher is not willing to do his job anymore.

I feel kinda stupid now...i must have been half asleep.

When he says its done he means the original 7.6 million or whatever it was, he finally laundered all of that money and it was put into Del's account.

All of the money in the walls was from the second round (50 million) that Del's guy (Gonzales? I dont remember his name) showed up at the blue cat with in the van.

As far as threatening the family that was probably the end game eventually Del probably told this dude, if it goes south just kill them all and move on. Also, the 50million that they dropped off in the offseason (No tourists = no money) is an impossible task. They were probably just toying with him at that point and just wanted to see what he would do.

As far as Jacob threatening Marty's family they said everything was fine until he showed up meaning if they get rid of him everything will go back to normal. Also the fact that Marty told the preacher what was going on which caused him to stop the sermons on the water. Also the preacher was already punished by losing his wife... Marty really hadnt gotten his punishment yet for fucking that up (that was a dumb move on his part)

NandoGip

great show

super fucking sad lol

everything is just so damn sad, every scene and everything that happens to everyone is just so sad lol

Top Bottom