• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Defenders - Reviews Thread

8 episodes? That's great news. That surely means it won't suffer the saggy, meandering middle all of the other Netflix MCU shows have had.

I want to believe this, too.

But in my heart of hearts, I know they'll probably give each character a set-up episode, and then rush a boss battle ending.

Not

Banned
I kinda don't care about this anymore at all solely due to Iron Fist. It's a real shame.

I also didn't finish Season 2 of Daredevil. I'll check out Punisher and s2's of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage though.

Kin5290

So what's the order of best to worst when it comes to Netflix Marvel shows? I figure I should give em a proper look before watching this.

I take Iron Fist is in last place. What about others?
DD Season 1, JJ, DD Season 2, LC, IF way at the bottom.
Yeesh, I must be the only one on GAF that enjoyed Jessica Jones.
I don't know what the hell is wrong with people who are saying that it's shit. Utter lunacy.

y2dvd

I don't even want to bother giving Iron Fist a spin. Luke Cage was a chore to get through in the second half.

Skilletor

It's odd that folks spit of Luke Cage, but not Daredevil Season 2.

Daredevil S1 > Luke Cage S1 Cottonmouth > Daredevil S2 Punisher > Jessica Jones > Luke Cage S1 Diamondback > Iron Fist >Daredevil S2 Elektra

I'd put Iron Fist behind Daredevil S2 Elektra, but otherwise agree with this list.

cr0w

Old Member
Yeesh, I must be the only one on GAF that enjoyed Jessica Jones.

I thought it dragged a bit here and there, but my wife absolutely loved it. I enjoyed it mostly because of Ritter's performance and how well they handled the PTSD aspect.

cr0w

Old Member
Oh, yeah...I forgot about the brother and sister. The sister in particular was just...maybe the worst character I've seen in any show in the past 5 years. I think I had blocked her out until you mentioned her.

Blader

The scene where Diamondback shoots Luke Cage into the back of a garbage truck, in broad daylight, that slowly drives away and then opens the very next episode yelling "Where is Luke Cage?!" is hilariously strange.

They can cut out the brother and sister scenes. I liked JJ, but there wad a bit of filler.

There was a ton of filler in JJ. Everything to do with the lawyers, the neighbors, and THE GROUP was boring shit that had nothing to do with the actual plot.

kunonabi

The scene where Diamondback shoots Luke Cage into the back of a garbage truck, in broad daylight, that slowly drives away and then opens the very next episode yelling "Where is Luke Cage?!" is hilariously strange.

There was a ton of filler in JJ. Everything to do with the lawyers, the neighbors, and THE GROUP was boring shit that had nothing to do with the actual plot.

Yeah, the hogarth stuff was freaking terrible. Id actually be fine with the brother and sister if they werent so cartoonish.

Lol, now why didn't I think of that.

I like a lot of different stuff, but super heroes are dominating. I'm kinda over saturated with it by now and ready for something new. Is that okay with you?

Damn, I'm so glad I have you to point out the obvious for me.

If you dont like Capeshit, then dont watch it, dont even think about it.
You folks will moan about shit you don't even have to fucking watch.
6 cape films a year and folks lose their minds, yet the million same oscarbait dramas and not a word is said.

Hold the L

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
6 cape films a year and folks lose their minds, yet the million same oscarbait dramas and not a word is said.

Hold the L

capes don't even have a monopoly on ACTION movies: john wick2, war for planet of the apes, atomic blonde, f8, baby driver, dunkirk, kingsman 2

that's 7 non-superhero action movies coming out in 2017 that look real dope

Definitely not.

Loved JJ, almost on par with DD s1 for me.
There's definitely some JJ defenders on Gaf. Not nearly enough if you ask me though. It's my favorite of all the MCU shows including DD s1.

It had its faults but the acting and writing felt miles better than the other series.

I had HIGH hopes for LC but after a strong start it ended as bad as any of the shows yet. Just ruined all the good will.

Having said that I haven't watched IF yet cause I can't bring myself to do it but I'm sure it will take the top spot for awfulness

Edit: should prob change my avatar at some point to reflect my love of JJ lol but I just love the character DD too much regardless the quality of the show

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member

Hold the L

Not watching it is presicely what I'm doing. It's the very reason I popped into this thread to ask if watching Luke Cage and Iron Fist is needed to get something out of the Defenders, thus spurring me on to just, oh I dunno, say something about how I'm getting bored with the super heroes.

Look, I'm sorry if me getting bored with one staple of genre fiction the same way I got bored with vampires and zombies, due to them being everywhere, offends you. Not every opinion that dislikes something is a symptom of someone "losing their minds".

It's just entertainment, chill.

DeathyBoy

Banned

I don't know how y'all watch stuff like Drafwood or Twin Peaks if you're this obsessed with everything connecting to the plot of a show. Sometimes you can just have character stuff.

Glass Rebel

I don't know how y'all watch stuff like Drafwood or Twin Peaks if you're this obsessed with everything connecting to the plot of a show. Sometimes you can just have character stuff.

Let's not act like the "character stuff" is anywhere near as good as Twin Peaks. The poster already said it was boring as shit.

Shaanyboi

Banned

When you have an episode where Jessica is practically a hostage of Kilgrave, living with him in her childhood home where the two are constantly clashing, and then you cut to that utterly pointless divorce subplot? Yeaahhhh, your b-story has to support your a-plot, not annoyingly distract from it.

Not watching it is presicely what I'm doing. It's the very reason I popped into this thread to ask if watching Luke Cage and Iron Fist is needed to get something out of the Defenders, thus spurring me on to just, oh I dunno, say something about how I'm getting bored with the super heroes.

Look, I'm sorry if me getting bored with one staple of genre fiction the same way I got bored with vampires and zombies, due to them being everywhere, offends you. Not every opinion that dislikes something is a symptom of someone "losing their minds".

It's just entertainment, chill.

you enter a capeshit thread to complain about fucking capeshit. come on bruh
"Hey I'm so tired of superhero shit, LOOK AT ME!"
camby.png

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm hoping I can watch and enjoy this having only seen DD S1&2.

I have no interest in LC JJ or IF so hopefully the story still makes sense having only seen DD.

Blader

Quality of writing, acting, directing, etc. usually makes the difference for me.

I loved the first 8 or 9 episodes of JJ while the rest of the season was just ok or downright bad. Didn't finish Luke Cage due to the same reasons and never gave any thought to Iron Fist after the initial reception it got. Hopefully this turns out good, but I'm not really hyped for it. Hopefully they are able to listen to some of the criticism of their prior shows and an eight episode season is a good start.

neoemonk

We've watched DD 1 and 2 and JJ. Sounds like Luke Cage and Iron Fist are skippable, going through this thread.

Why is IF so bad?

I swear to God if they kill off Claire (Rosario Dawson). She's the best thing in all of these shows.

But yeah, these shows peaked with Daredevil Season 1. I remember being so hyped for season 2 last year, now it's like "oh right, that Defenders show is coming out."

Variety
It may not offer the highest highs of “Jessica Jones,” which proved itself the star performer of the Marvel-Netflix universe during its debut season. And while “The Defenders” is occasionally a bit blander than an endeavor featuring deadly ninjas and elaborate costumes should be, the eight-part drama has notable selling points, chief among them an elegant and fierce performance from Sigourney Weaver.

A.V. Club
But overall, The Defenders runs leaner and meaner (more on that in a bit) than any other Netflix Marvel show. Even under the lingering shadows, the first episode feels downright breezy at times, making surprisingly quick work of getting our heroes—Matt Murdock (Cox), who’s refusing to go by Daredevil; Jessica; Luke Cage (Mike Colter); and Danny, who just wants everyone to call him Iron Fist already, you guys—back to New York.

Bleeding Cool
The Defenders is off to a solid start thus far, and while it’s hard to say whether the story is going to work all the way through, the first half is engaging and leaves you wanting more. While there are times during those two and a half episodes that you’re going to be wishing everyone would just meet, the payoff is pretty good. Our four heroes have a great chemistry, which is half the fun of team-ups.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
well shit. i have a flight tomorrow night... there's no way i can have all these eps locally by then right?

I swear to God if they kill off Claire (Rosario Dawson). She's the best thing in all of these shows.

But yeah, these shows peaked with Daredevil Season 1. I remember being so hyped for season 2 last year, now it's like "oh right, that Defenders show is coming out."

It's true Rosario is great. I could see her getting killed off though if her contract is up. If it's gonna happen, now's the time. I'm trying to figure out a way they'd use her going forward, but I can't imagine they'd continue having her guest on every show, and I don't know if she fits on one over another. I hope I'm wrong!

Top Bottom