• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 and that 'Fall 2017' release window

bombshell

YEp, and if my aging memory is serving me correctly, this is what they did with GTA V and RDR 2 last year. They revealed their trailers the same week as E3, but not at any E3 show or during any pressers.

Red Dead Redemption 2 reveal was 20th October last year, teased a couple days before.

Chris1

I can't think of the last game they shipped with like less than a 6 month delay. Even less than 12 months is hard.
To be fair tho, those games were out not long after their previous release.

Bully 2006, GTA 4 2008, RDR 2010, Max Payne 3 2012, GTA V 2013.

They were putting a new game out every <2 years, delays happen here and there when you have a workload like that especially when all the R* teams help each other out. There has been nothing for 4 years and the games probably been worked on in some form for 7, that's why I think it'll come out this year.

I mean there is the remaster and GTA Online updates, but I doubt that's a large team

Does Rockstar have an established track record of delaying their games?

Yes, and an incredible track record of not showing gameplay to the public until right up before release...

They don't have a lot of leaky ships at Rockstar...That's why the OP shouldn't be concerned at all that there hasn't been any footage....This is how Rockstar does it...

LycanXIII

Yes, and an incredible track record of not showing gameplay to the public until right up before release...

They don't have a lot of leaky ships at Rockstar...That's why the OP shouldn't be concerned at all that there hasn't been any footage....This is how Rockstar does it...

Yeah, and they're one of the few devs that don't need a long marketing campaign to sell their games.

Coffinhal

We don't know and people saying "2018" don't know more than you and me.

There's still a window for the end of 2017, but if we don't see anything in May (pre-E3 period) or at E3, then we'll know at 99% that is is delayed.

It's just one of those things were you just know it won't hit the scheduled release date.

May 2018 train.

You don't know, you're assuming. (or the meaning of this word has changed)

I don't want to sound dismissive of anyone who may be expecting a Fall 2017 release date, but when the window was announced last October the first words out of my mouth were "that's getting delayed." The highest profile release I can think of that wasn't delayed in some capacity recently was Resident Evil 7, but that has nothing to do with Rockstar's incredible track record for stringing along launch windows. I'm sure they intend to hit the window, but it's not going to be a surprise when they don't.

I would love nothing more than to be wrong and have the game come out earlier, as long as it's complete. But I'm not exactly optimistic.

I know that Rockstar does things differently from other developers when it comes to the marketing and trailers. But you'd think we'd get a solid release date soon if it was indeed on it's way in 2017.

labx

Banned
Closing in on 10 years on this, jesus.

I can see what you mean, but with this one it seems a bit more vague with "coming soon" rather than a specific time frame. Also that Agent page probably hasn't been updated in forever(?).

You are correct, R* announce it in 2009 and that was it.

Q2 2018, train.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
People who actually believe this is coming out this year are deluded. It will be Spring 2018 at the earliest but probably late 2018. They always do this to build hype and it works.

dreamfall

May 2018 it feels like. The return of the Rockstar Summers.

With the exclusive marketing deal, I wonder how this will fare between Scorpio and Pro. Whatever system it performs better on will tide me over before the PC release, and will be the one I get for a mid-gen refresh.

People who actually believe this is coming out this year are deluded. It will be Spring 2018 at the earliest but probably late 2018. They always do this to build hype and it works.

Yet they didn't do this with Red Dead Redemption, the last game Rockstar San Diego headed, and the one heading this. From my point view, the Jedi are evil.

Harp

Inst normal that rockstar does an info blitz in the summer?

Beside if they said the game would be out Tuesday they still would sell 10 million copy's. There really is no need for a long drawn out press run. Look at how they have been doing GtA online features. They release a trailer a week before release.

I would expect Sony to have gameplay at e3 and a game informer cover for June. And that's it until a few weeks before release. They probably have been working on the game over 5 years already.

Gorillaz

It's coming out Spring 2018. Rockstar would have had the marketing cylinders running wild if it was actually a fall release

Rockstar delaying a game is 2nd nature now. That's why I never believe they first date they give anymore. Alot of people still fall for it too.

RDR1 was delayed as well to the late spring/early summer too iirc

bud23

In May we should see the second trailer and a release date announcement, plus, maybe, GameInformer info blowout

If this doesn't happen, then yeah, it will be probably delayed

I sure would love to play RDR2 in fall but, honestly, this year has already been so good and there are already a bounty of promising games coming this fall that I would prefer if RDR2 had more time in the oven and came out strong Spring 2018. Chances are I'll probably get my way with how this usual goes with Rockstar.

RDR1 was delayed as well to the late spring/early summer too iirc

That's incorrect. Red Dead Redemption was announced for an April 27, 2010 release date November 2009, a few days before the second Trailer released. It had no other dates or windows prior. It was then delayed 22 days in March, to May 18 2010, for a better time frame.

GTA 5 trailer 1: November 11
Trailer 2: November 12
Trailer 3: April 13
Release: September 13

You're missing quite a few in there. Half actually, there were 6 trailers total. The gameplay trailer in June 2013, the launch trailer in Aug 2013, and the GTA online trailer in Aug 2013 are what you're missing.

With how well GTAV and GTA Online stuff continue to sell I wonder if releasing this year would be a bad business move for Rockstar?

If you are still making money off your whales, target audience and the mainstream who are all likely buy RDR2 too, from a business perspective why not milk that as long as you can?

Catdaddy

The Take Two SEC filing from February 2017 still shows a Fall 2017 release date. That said if it does get pushed, I’d bet it would be out by the end of their fiscal year, March 2018. Since they just ended their fiscal year in March 2017, they’ll have a full press release which may give details in the next few weeks. Publically owned companies can’t be as secretive as privately held companies….for the shareholders and all…

Asd202

Rockstar won't be at E3 ... as usual. I think the last time they were there was for GTAIII? They don't need it. They can do everything on the newswire.

Well I think this year may be different with how they announced partnership with Sony few months ago. Still less than likely to happen though.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Well I think this year may be different with how they announced partnership with Sony few months ago. Still less than likely to happen though.

All I take from it is that Sony might talk about the game during their presentation. Kinda like how they revealed the PS4 version of GTA V.

bryanee

Rockstar won't be at E3 ... as usual. I think the last time they were there was for GTAIII? They don't need it. They can do everything on the newswire.

The GTAV Remaster was revealed in Sony's E3 conference of whatever year that was.

edit - just saw post above.

With how well GTAV and GTA Online stuff continue to sell I wonder if releasing this year would be a bad business move for Rockstar?

If you are still making money off your whales, target audience and the mainstream who are all likely buy RDR2 too, from a business perspective why not milk that as long as you can?

/

Last edited:

Falchion

Maybe this time they aren't announcing anything until they have a firm launch window that they know they'll be able to hit. I'm hoping they can do 2017 still.

Piggus

Another thread where people don't understand how Rockstar markets their games. It's just as likely that there will be a big dump of info in the next several months and that the game is still on time.

Rockstar is not a traditional dev in terms of how they show off their products. Hell, they tend to be very low-key at E3 despite having some huge franchises.

Simo

Take Two's last investors call said it would release before the end of fiscal 2018, being March 31st 2018, and given this has been cooking since 2012 I'm still hopeful for this fall. October looks likely and open given all the other big releases so far are favoring September and November.

Still, 6 months without a peep on the game since the announcement is frustrating as hell. Lol Take Two's next investors call is in the middle of May so we may hear more just prior to it.

bud23

But there not... They lose money, in fact millions each time they have a conference call...

That´s true, and what?

Take two stocks are trading at record highs, apparently investors don´t give a shit about quarterly losses, mostly because those losses represent money invested in new projects, most of them successful proyects

You're falling for the 75 million V sold etc etc but look at the numbers, don't fall for the Internet hype...

The numbers say that GTA products generated over $650 million in NET revenue in 2016 ......that without a brand new GTA game

He´s not wrong

SpaceWolf

Banned
Aye they don't come out with enough games for it to be remembered when the next one gets delayed, but every major Rockstar title since GTA: Vice City has been delayed in some way, some for over a year.

Lemme think...

GTA III was delayed, but this was mostly because if 9/11. The game was supposed to come out in September or early Oct of 2011, but there was a mission that had to be removed, where a player was supposed to fly the Dodo into a building, and so after 9/11 it had to be cut. There was already some antagonism against the game because prominent screenshots features the player firing AK-47s at police and firefighters, and being set in New York City just in the aftermath of 9/11, the optics were bad. There's some speculation that this is also why they clipped the wings of the dodo so it really couldn't be flown.

GTA Vice CIty came out on time.

GTA San Andreas was delayed by a month close to release.

GTA IV was supposed to be released October 2007, but in August 2007 they announced it'd be delayed until April 2008.

Red Dead Redemption was delated about a month from April 2010 to May 2010.

GTA V was delayed for a year IIRC, though the only firm dates were from April 2013 to Sept 2013.

I don't know the specifics of games like Max Payne, Table Tennis, or other less impactful games. Looking back it doesn't seem as bad, though in the moment I remember there being a lot more projections of release dates, only to hear nothing for weeks or months, speculation of the delays, and then finally confirmation from Rockstar a few weeks before the planned release.

Interesting. Thank you!

DrD

Team 2017. I can see Rockstar dropping a trailer at Sony's E3 conference. It's not like Rockstar have to show up themselves, Sony's last E3 was basically trailer after trailer with little talking.

Simo

So without any news in 6 months...and Amazon has sold through all their pre-order allocations for both Xbox One and PS4. It's currently unavailable on the site and chatting with customer support and they confirmed it's sold out.

Wat..

I would be very surprised if they keep that date. We haven't seen shit and considering their track record, it'll be sometime in 2018 at the earliest.

Bandit1

I think we will see something very soon. The Call of Duty reveal has passed, and Rockstar has implemented a two week bonus xp deal on GTA:Online, which I believe they did before Red Dead Redemption 2's reveal. So the next couple weeks are clear. The reveal trailer was posted on a Thursday, (so I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow) but we also have the 7th anniversary of Red Dead Redemption's release coming up on May 18th. 7 characters, 7th anniversary? They might play with something like that.

So I'm guessing new info and trailer between now and the 18th, possibly a release date there as well. Then something for Sony's conference since Sony has the marketing deal. I'd like to think gameplay demo, but they're probably more likely to show a short trailer for RDR:Online if they're going all in on it like they have done with GTA, and then that will give the Sony rep an opportunity to talk about early/exclusive online content.
October 2017 release.

Kyrios

I'd be shocked if it was coming out this year. I have a feeling that "Fall 2017" is gonna turn into "Spring 2018".

Top Bottom