• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

DOWN

Banned
Am i the only one who loves the aesthetic updates for Siri? I’ve always liked the color waves look but it’s gotten nicer and her presentation looks better

My iPad on iOS 11 asks me to enable wifi calling every 2 minutes. Whether I select enable or not now, it asks me again 2 minutes later. It's very annoying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Someone tell me why I shouldn't install the beta on my 7 Plus yet

Because you value stability and consistency

- posted from my 7 Plus that I have rebooted twice today and had one springboard crash

I’m definitely not going back to 10 though
See my experience is completely different. The beta is really stable for me. No crashing or anything. Only the usual glitches are what I’ve seen so far. Mainly the app switcher that 4 times out of 5 won’t actually close a few apps. It’s weird but not a huge issue.

The new Control Center is worth it for me even though it needs some more customization as the music square is located in a bad place and I’d rather it be a wide 4x1 tile instead of 2x2 because right now it still makes you use two actions to actually use it and now the second action is harder to do since you need to reach.

But they finally fixed my annoyance with my Plus where I would always try to sleep my phone but would always hit a volume button at the same time and the phone would cancel out both actions. So I would unknowingly not turn my phone screen off. Now it ignores the volume change and powers off the screen when I do it. I am so happy with iOS 11 right now.

simonski

Getting crazy mobile data usage for General under System Settings, with no obvious way to switch it off (other than switching off mobile data). Any suggestions?

Edit - looks like it was the sync messages to icloud feature, now turned off.

Aiii

So not worth it
Because you value stability and consistency

- posted from my 7 Plus that I have rebooted twice today and had one springboard crash

I’m definitely not going back to 10 though

Did you do a factory restore after or before updating?

The main rule when installing one of these betas should be to do a factory reset and start fresh, the only way to get stability. FWIW, my iPhone 7 Plus only issue on iOS 11 is the dock disappearing on me for some reason.

jstripes

Banned
Apple just put out a small "update" to macOS High Sierra Developer Preview 2, so that may mean the Public Beta is dropping this afternoon.

kiguel182

When I connect my Bluetooth headphones it doesn't display battery anymore.

I hope this is a bug and they didn't just remove it...

Did you do a factory restore after or before updating?

The main rule when installing one of these betas should be to do a factory reset and start fresh, the only way to get stability. FWIW, my iPhone 7 Plus only issue on iOS 11 is the dock disappearing on me for some reason.

Nah cause I ain’t got that much time. I just did an upgrade.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So my phones on the public beta, my watch is up to date on 3.2.2. I don’t get the behavior of music. I can ask my watch to play music and luckily enough it still will begin playing on my phone, but the watch’s interface no longer shows now playing. I can adjust the volume but beyond that there’s no control. What’s going on?

epmode

But they finally fixed my annoyance with my Plus where I would always try to sleep my phone but would always hit a volume button at the same time and the phone would cancel out both actions. So I would unknowingly not turn my phone screen off. Now it ignores the volume change and powers off the screen when I do it.

This is pretty great. I do that all the time!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I miss content blocker, so many sites have intrusive ads.

I did some research into why most blockers don't seem to work in the betas, and it appears it's due to a bug that significantly increases the memory usage of blockers. Which in turn makes most of them exceed the memory allocation put in place by Apple thus they don't engage when turned on.

There are a couple less memory intensive blockers around that still work like normal in the beta. "Block Ads by NeverAds" is one of those for example.

So my phones on the public beta, my watch is up to date on 3.2.2. I don’t get the behavior of music. I can ask my watch to play music and luckily enough it still will begin playing on my phone, but the watch’s interface no longer shows now playing. I can adjust the volume but beyond that there’s no control. What’s going on?

The music app changes significantly in watchOS 4 where it no longer functions as a remote control to the phone’s music app. As such iOS11 expects that behavior from your watch so the watch responds accordingly. AKA no control from the music app

The music app changes significantly in watchOS 4 where it no longer functions as a remote control to the phone’s music app. As such iOS11 expects that behavior from your watch so the watch responds accordingly. AKA no control from the music app

What's the Now Playing experience like on watchOS 4 when playing music from your phone? AirPods made me seriously miss the Now Playing glance - the improved amount of tapping control for AirPods in iOS 11 is nice, but what I'd really like is for the watch to give me truly rapid access to play/pause/skip/volume control without needing to open up an app. Boggles my mind that there isn't a dedicated Now Playing watchface.

Anybody get this working on ipad mini 2? Working fine on my phone (7+), but freezes at the first screen after installing, selecting wifi, and the first tutorial video.

Was excited because the ipad changes are amazing.

What's the Now Playing experience like on watchOS 4 when playing music from your phone? AirPods made me seriously miss the Now Playing glance - the improved amount of tapping control for AirPods in iOS 11 is nice, but what I'd really like is for the watch to give me truly rapid access to play/pause/skip/volume control without needing to open up an app. Boggles my mind that there isn't a dedicated Now Playing watchface.

I don't have the watchOS4 beta installed so this is all second-hand. There is now a Now Playing complication you can launch and when you're playing something off your phone the Now Playing screen appears by default when you raise your wrist, like Maps does when you're mapping somewhere

Aiii

So not worth it
Anybody get this working on ipad mini 2? Working fine on my phone (7+), but freezes at the first screen after installing, selecting wifi, and the first tutorial video.

Was excited because the ipad changes are amazing.

With the 1GB of RAM I would not recommend running the current beta on this, optimalizations are dead last on the to-do list.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They also made it so you can optionally choose whether to download and cache your Safari Reading List. Finally! No longer do you have to waste space on your iOS device to store it all.

Edit: I installed High Sierra. So far so good I guess. I did have to open the lastsession.plist file from Safari Tech Preview and copy and paste all my opened tabs into new tabs in Safari because STP doesn't work on High Sierra (Since the Safari in High Sierra is technically the latest preview) but other than that it's all good. Amazingly my copy of Photoshop CS3 STILL works after the initial reinstall of Java which I literally only need for Photoshop and possibly CrashPlan. (Not sure if CP has Java embedded like Minecraft does. MC runs without installing Java because it comes with its own.) However, according to this article, High Sierra will be the end of the line for 32-bit apps on macOS...

https://www.cultofmac.com/490244/high-sierra-will-last-macos-release-support-32-bit-apps/

I welcome it personally. I mean I am biased because I literally only have Photoshop that is 32-bit. But when the time comes, i.e. next June, I'll gladly "upgrade" to Pixelmator. I also have DropBox but I don't use it and I'm sure this will finally push DropBox to release a damn 64-bit version. Not that I will use it. Since I don't.

SnakeXs

But... but why. :( It was, for me at least, a pretty ideal setup. What’s the possible benefit of this new system besides me for some reason needing to pull out my phone for control of my music? Do they expect me to pair my BT headphones to my watch? I don’t get it.

But that may be the booze talking.

But... but why. :( It was, for me at least, a pretty ideal setup. What’s the possible benefit of this new system besides me for some reason needing to pull out my phone for control of my music? Do they expect me to pair my BT headphones to my watch? I don’t get it.

I'm submitting feedback while I can, hopefully others do too. I get they want the Watch to be seen as more of its own independent thing instead of just an expensive remote for the phone, but there's nothing wrong with a toggle for where you want to play your music from

Aiii

So not worth it

You don't need to do anything. The second you're playing music the Watch will display Now Playing and allow you to control your music.

tbm24

I put iOS 11 on my air 2 so I don’t know if this is the same as on the iPhone, however I have AirPods and i sync them across multiple devices. Normally ion iOS devices i’d bring up the control center thing, swipe to left and select audio from iPhone to AirPods. Made it super simple to jump across my multiple Apple devices. I can’t see, to that any,ore with the changes to the control center. I select Bluetooth but all I can do is turn it on And off only.

SnakeXs

I put iOS 11 on my air 2 so I don’t know if this is the same as on the iPhone, however I have AirPods and i sync them across multiple devices. Normally ion iOS devices i’d bring up the control center thing, swipe to left and select audio from iPhone to AirPods. Made it super simple to jump across my multiple Apple devices. I can’t see, to that any,ore with the changes to the control center. I select Bluetooth but all I can do is turn it on And off only.

Long press on the media quick control box in Control Center.

Deku Tree

Is it possible to have a strongly encrypted file that is easily openable on both iOS and macOS? If so how would you do it? My use is for a small file like a password locker.

I am not looking for advice about how to use 1password. Just trying to find out if you can securely strongly encrypt a file that can be easily opened on both iOS and macOS.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You don't need to do anything. The second you're playing music the Watch will display Now Playing and allow you to control your music.

But what if you don't need the watch to be a remote because you have headphones with a remote built in? I want the normal watch face or at least the option

With the current watch OS I can choose to have the now playing app always there or not

kaskade

Was getting some server error trying to install High Sierra last night, going to give it another shot today.

nope: keep getting an error, recovery server not available.

edit 2: lol I forgot to install the beta utility. Working now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, High Sierra is really buggy. Shocking after how good iOS 11 is for me. The Finder gets confused when downloading files and displays the wrong filenames and labels for stuff so you don't know what you're opening. I had it freeze when I put Screen Sharing in fullscreen. StreamToMe doesn't launch. I cant use Safari Technology Preview so I'm stuck with Safari which still works horribly with YouTube and probably still has problems with infinitely scrolling websites like Twitter and FaceBook. When it froze earlier I had to force shutdown and when I rebooted it glitched out twice and rebooted in a loop before finally booting up. (I wonder if some of the stuff is due to APFS.) Hopefully the update schedule isn't every 2 weeks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is it possible to have a strongly encrypted file that is easily openable on both iOS and macOS? If so how would you do it? My use is for a small file like a password locker.

I am not looking for advice about how to use 1password. Just trying to find out if you can securely strongly encrypt a file that can be easily opened on both iOS and macOS.
You can use Notes. They sync over the icloud, and require password or fingerprint to open on ios/macos. It's a pretty good setup for a password locker.

DOWN

Banned
Where do I find a tutorial on how to do a fresh install of High Sierra when it comes out? I know a lot of people do that because they say it runs smoother anecdotally, but I straight up just want an excuse to manually organize everything that goes on my computer

CraigMcD

Where do I find a tutorial on how to do a fresh install of High Sierra when it comes out? I know a lot of people do that because they say it runs smoother anecdotally, but I straight up just want an excuse to manually organize everything that goes on my computer

You don't really need a tutorial. Hold Command+R when booting. You can wipe your disk and do a clean install from there.

DOWN

Banned
You don't really need a tutorial. Hold Command+R when booting. You can wipe your disk and do a clean install from there.
So I copy all my files to a backup drive, install the OS update, restart while holding command+R, and then it will be a clean slate and I just drag over the files I want to keep?

Getting "Software Update Failed; An error occurred downloading iOS 11 Public beta" on my iPad. Tried Google-ing the error but almost no threads had a solution. A couple people said "just wait and try again" -- is this a server congestion error?

Edit -- Worked fine after I restored my iPad.

ekim

High Sierra Beta is working like a charm so far. OS feels even more responsive and Safari is a monster. (Base 13" MBP 2016 model with Touch Bar) So far so good.

CraigMcD

So I copy all my files to a backup drive, install the OS update, restart while holding command+R, and then it will be a clean slate and I just drag over the files I want to keep?

Pretty much. I was surprised at how painless the process was when I was wiping my old MacBook Pro to sell on.

jstripes

Banned
I can't get the High Sierra beta to install. The installer starts, says "Your computer is restarting in 29 seconds...", reboots to the Apple logo and goes right back to the login screen.

kaskade

How does iMessage in the cloud work? Does it basically back everything up to iCloud and stores the most recent local ones?

Does it separate the messages from the traditional iCloud Backup kind of like they did with photos when they switched over to the photos app? It was annoying how they tied them to the phone backup. If it's switching like I want it to I'm going to be so happy for that.

subrock

Anyone using High Sierra with Ableton or Serato? I know those programs are usually laggards but I'd love to start using HS soon

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you add Dropbox to files?

And how do you edit what goes in the dock? Anyone turn off the recent apps and just select what they want?

Edit: already messing up -removed files from dock but the icon is still there, overlapped with other ones.

This keyboard will take some getting used to - the shifted symbols seem to have moved around, I'm sure hyphen used to be on the letter a, now it’s on x. And it looks like an underline

erawsd

I dont think dropbox is available yet.

You just drag apps on/off the dock way you do on iOS10. I turned off recents initially but turned it back on since, unless I'm overlooking something, the only way to invoke side by side multitasking without it is dragging apps on top of one another from the home screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I dont think dropbox is available yet.

You just drag apps on/off the dock way you do on iOS10. I turned off recents initially but turned it back on since, unless I'm overlooking something, the only way to invoke side by side multitasking without it is dragging apps on top of one another from the home screen.

How do you mean dragging apps on top of each other? Can’t figure out how to add an app to Split View that isn’t in the dock. I do this quite a lot with things like pcalc while I have a web browser open for example , but i don’t use it enough to put it in the dock. While the vertical app selector wasn’t great, it gave access to more apps.

Edit ok strange - literally drag one app onto another like you were making a folder.

So how do you make a folder :p

erawsd

How do you mean dragging apps on top of each other? Can’t figure out how to add an app to Split View that isn’t in the dock. I do this quite a lot with things like pcalc while I have a web browser open for example , but i don’t use it enough to put it in the dock. While the vertical app selector wasn’t great, it gave access to more apps.

Edit ok strange - literally drag one app onto another like you were making a folder.

So how do you make a folder :p

Yeah it’s kinda weird. To make folders you have to hold down on the icon a bit longer until the deletion “x” appears... from that mode you can make folders and select multiple apps at once to move.

I think the dock works way better than the old vertical sidebar. Keep in mind that if you want to get crazy you could put folders in the dock and have access to everything that way. However, being able to have a dozen of my most used apps and 3 extra spaces for those I use less frequently is enough for my needs.

Top Bottom