• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anova introduces $99 (or $69) sous-vide device

RuGalz

Haven't received email either but when I asked some questions they responded in a day so I'm not too worried. I'm just hoping they can ship BT model in time for holidays.

You should have received an email about the delay to next year and they gave you the option to wait, get the BT version now or cancel your order.
I did not...

I was even in chat with customer service on the 16th of September to change my shipping address. The customer service rep didn't say a word about a delay...

RuGalz

I did not...

I was even in chat with customer service on the 16th of October to change my shipping address. The customer service rep didn't say a word about a delay...

I guess they just assume everyone has gotten the email by now... You should be able to find the form to fill out on their website wrt your decision.

I guess they just assume everyone has gotten the email by now... You should be able to find the form to fill out on their website wrt your decision.
I contacted customer support again. They gave me a link. I requested the Bluetooth. It's a gift... So waiting until next year wasn't an option...

BTA

Still thinking about whether or not I want to switch to the BT.

I think having that multistep could be worth having and I'm not in a huge rush so I guess I could wait another half of a year, as long as it's not delayed again? But if it ends up not being worth it, and I could have used the BT just as well now...

I got my email about the BT being on the way about the same time as the others. I responded to the survey right when the email came out.

jts

...hate me...
Got a BT+Wifi a few days ago. It's wonderful. Wish there was a sous-vide community thread though, as I still have so much to learn about it.

But the chicken breast really is as juicy as people say.

Got a BT+Wifi a few days ago. It's wonderful. Wish there was a sous-vide community thread though, as I still have so much to learn about it.

But the chicken breast really is as juicy as people say.

Did you use the recipe Anova put out on social media? I'm actually wondering if it shouldn't be modified to add some spices to the chicken while immersing. Unflavored chicken meat sounds pretty bland to me.

jts

...hate me...
Did you use the recipe Anova put out on social media? I'm actually wondering if it shouldn't be modified to add some spices to the chicken while immersing. Unflavored chicken meat sounds pretty bland to me.

No, I just got some 4 whole chicken breasts with bone and skin, which unfortunately I couldn't find unflavoured, washed the spicy stuff off as much as I could (still left some flavour on, which was ok), salted them and sous-vide them straight at 63.5ºC (146F) for 2-3 hours.

I'm chasing a bit that blandness with batch cooking. Then I have chicken to use with pasta, salad, rice, noodles, etc, and can flavour that up on the spot depending on what I want.

I'll definitely try different stuff as I go along. But seems pretty hard to mess up. Really, that moist and texture alone bring out the best from the meat's own flavour. Maybe it can get boring after a while, but it was tasty.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wait, we should have gotten an email? I ordered the $60 one months back with the tentative date of October and haven't seen anything since.

Maybe I should email them.

Got my substitute today. Anybody else have the green tab from the protective film rub off? I've got a green smudge on the front of mine from it that doesn't seem to want to come off. It doesn't obscure the display or anything, so it's not a huge deal, but it is a bit of a cosmetic defect.

Did anyone's substitute come in... less than stellar condition? The box is practically melting in my hand and it feels like it was thrown in the mud and left there for weeks...

CWXUEXw.jpg

9NYwbxw.jpg

The FedEx box they shipped it in was dry and in perfect condition mind you, so they had to put it in that way.

The device itself looks nice, but no way I'm touching it with a 10 foot pole given the condition of what it was inside lol.

Did anyone's substitute come in... less than stellar condition? The box is practically melting in my hand and it feels like it was thrown in the mud and left there for weeks...

CWXUEXw.jpg

9NYwbxw.jpg

The FedEx box they shipped it in was dry and in perfect condition mind you, so they had to put it in that way.

The device itself looks nice, but no way I'm touching it with a 10 foot pole given the condition of what it was inside lol.
Woah. Now I feel kinda bad for complaining about a minor cosmetic issue with mine.

jwk94

CWXUEXw.jpg

9NYwbxw.jpg

Oh wow that's terrible. I'd tweet them.

That's a big WTF, my dude. Gross. Definitely get in contact with them.

Anyone choose the Bluetooth when the email was first sent out and has still not received a reply?

CWXUEXw.jpg

9NYwbxw.jpg

Wow. Congrats on the black mold introduced to your home?

Yeah. When I took the top picture I figured it was just dirt, but then it became apparent that something went pretty freaking awry during the process. I was half afraid a rat was going to be in it. I sent an email. Trying to be nice and handle it like a professional and not put them on blast, though it's hard after running out to buy steaks when I saw the package on my doorstep this morning...

Nafai1123

Banned
WTF at that box.

Mine got delivered today but I'm not home to check the condition. Hopefully it's fine. Can't wait to test it out!

BigBeauford

Got mine, and made an awesome steak. My only complaint is the damn thing is crazy long, so you'll need a tall container to cook it in. I hate wasting that much water. Any reasonable recommendations?

I received mine yesterday. Came in great condition, sorry about what happened to the one above! Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, probably will make something good on Sunday with it though.

Got mine, and made an awesome steak. My only complaint is the damn thing is crazy long, so you'll need a tall container to cook it in. I hate wasting that much water. Any reasonable recommendations?

A friend uses a rectangular clear container. I'm going to try to pick one up but for now I'm just using a tall pot:

b1EjSRq.jpg

He also cut a hole in the lid of the container where the Anova sits so that he can cap it off, presumably to save a little in heating costs.

Top Bottom