• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

berzeli

Banned
TrtLXJ1.jpg

bNIHlec.jpg

MWRfsUJ.jpg

RFvVguc.jpg

xfGN6aP.jpg

v3RyZ3d.jpg

Boem

Looking forward to this, even though I'm skeptical. But only ever watched bits and pieces of Trek, so this will be my first live Trek experience. Given that it's on Netflix in my region and that I have a subscription already, there's no harm in giving it a shot. Always open for some quality scifi.

Nice OP btw!

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Wait, do you have to buy in to CBS All Access even with a cable subscription?

YMMV. Check your provider.

The first episode will air on CBS. The first and next five can be watched for the first month on CBS All Access, which you can get a free month for.

The last episodes you'll have to pay up for. At some point, they need to take your monies.

^_^

Jolan'tru, my friends.

Sadly it's unlikely the best Trek enemies will appear in this properly. :(

Nice OT,

probably been discussed before, but it bothers me greatly that they have to shoe horn the Sonequa in as Spocks half sister.

Its almost as egregious as the prequels where of course Yoda fights alongside Chewie on Kashyyk.

It's kind of aggravating, but I also understand why they did it - it gives the viewers who aren't too familiar with the lore something to anchor into since most people have heard of Spock before, and it gives the Trekkies some sort of idea where in the timeline it is.

sammex

Thanks Berzeli, nice op.

All the buzz sounds really positive about this, not sure why anyone still thinks it'll be bad at this point. All the trailers have look great to me.

I can't wait. Love the Trek I've watched - grew up watching DS9 and Voyager along with the TNG films onwards. Still haven't seen TOS/films and about half of TNG.

I've got faith.
Of the heart

Hopefully it comes to Netflix in the US eventually. I'm already paying for DirecTV + Netflix + Hulu. I'm not coughing up more monies for another service for just one show.

I'm interested in the show as a huge Star Trek fan. But I am not giving CBS a dime for All Access, there are too many streaming services as it is. The agreement to have this show on Netflix in other countries but not here is why I think it will fail. Had it been on one of the larger streaming services it might have had a chance. But preying on your fandom to save your fledgling service is just pathetic.

Also stop screwing with the Klingons #NotMyKlingons. They should have just called them something else.

Jackpot

Banned
I think it'll be great as a stand-alone thing, but it will definitely feel like the Kelvinverse rather than Star Trek and will further screw up continuity.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
As someone in the UK it's refreshing to get good stuff coming here on Netflix and releasing episodes weekly. Really looking forward to this.

Boem

I'm interested in the show as a huge Star Trek fan. But I am not giving CBS a dime for All Access, there are too many streaming services as it is. The agreement to have this show on Netflix in other countries but not here is why I think it will fail. Had it been on one of the larger streaming services it might have had a chance. But preying on your fandom to save your fledgling service is just pathetic.

I mean I don't know how they're "preying on their fanbase". It's a CBS show, it's on their service. CBS isn't available in our regions, so Netflix paid a mountain of money for those. I get that you don't like the service but I don't see what's unfair about it. They made a product and try to sell it through their service. That doesn't seem quite like an act of evil to me.

They haven't made this show and this way of broadcasting it to fuck over Star Trek fans. I do understand how it may not be your service of choice, but well now.

Effect

Nice OT! I hope the show is good and the positive impressions are on the mark. Looking forward to Sunday.

Probably will be. Us Americans get to pay extra to watch it in below DVD quality. :/

I really don't agree that's the quality level.

asking me to subscribe to a new streaming service for one show is .. a little crazy. not happening.

There are other shows on CBS All Access (like the absolutely fucking phenomenal The Good Fight) plus more coming. Plus pretty much the entire CBS library.

The entire point is to use Trek to help launch the service. Not saying it's worth it to you, but it's much more than just Discovery.

SlickVic

I got into Star Trek pretty late. Started watching TNG in 2015 and wrapped up watching DS9 earlier this year. So I don't know what the wait for a new TV series has been like for others. But I'm really excited to see this, and hope this is the start of another long era of Star Trek on TV.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ship is so ugly and CBS All Access such a stupid decision that I had 0 hope for the show, but early buzz from critics that watched the premier is that it's very good.

Hype levels... slowly rising....

Top Bottom