• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

LotusHD

Banned
Y'all think more of GT than people that actually like it.

64tLa8Q.gif

HeroR

I love how good we are at calling things

Goku Spirit Bomb absorption, Jiren no-selling everything, Jiren's eye powers...

we are great at this

Except Goku didn't really absorb the Spirit Bomb and UI wasn't created by it.

I don't like how people are talking about Jiren being particularly arrogant when he is pretty dang modest when it comes to the current DB STRONG character. He's more confident, less arrogant.

Goku is easily more "arrogant" than him.

He's arrogant that he could wiped the tournament, but chose to sit on his butt and do nothing. Like despite Goku being weak, he still counts in U7 favor since it's the most people in the ring wins, not who has the strongest. Yet, Jiren couldn't even be bothered. Not to mention how he threw teammates to the wolves by not ringing out Goku and Hit in 104, despite knowing that Dypso and the string couldn't handled Goku and Hit together.

He's arrogant that he could wiped the tournament, but chose to sit on his butt and do nothing. Like despite Goku being weak, he still counts in U7 favor since it's the most people in the ring wins, not who has the strongest. Yet, Jiren couldn't even be bothered. Not to mention how he threw teammates to the wolves by not ringing out Goku and Hit in 104, despite knowing that Dypso and the string couldn't handled Goku and Hit together.
I mean he did absorb the spirit bomb. They literally say it in the episode. It just didn't power him up like some people thought it would

HeroR

I mean he did absorb the spirit bomb. They literally say it in the episode. It just didn't power him up like some people thought it would

All Whis said was that the Spirit Bomb recharged him, which isn't really the same as absorbed as some were pushing.

I-hate-u

inb4 in 5 episodes:

"Son Goku, I have been waiting for you to control your new power. The true battle starts now"

Morlas

what happened was Goku's energy tried to resist the power of the spirit bomb, and that broke some kind of wall inside of him letting him access some kind of new power which gave him ultra instinct....i think

HeroR

Please we both know it stands for Goku time

Idk seems pretty clear that he absorbed it and it gave him stamina to fight

When people say 'Goku absorbed the Spirit Bomb' they were talking like movie 7, not just the Spirit Bomb acting as a temporary battery for him.

what happened was Goku's energy tried to resist the power of the spirit bomb, and that broke some kind of wall inside of him letting him access some kind of new power which gave him ultra instinct....i think

Yes, that is what happened. All the Spirit Bomb did was give him energy to fight for a moment before burning out. Not Goku pulling a movie 7.

I-hate-u

See what I don't understand is that doesn't the Genki Dama not hurt anyone unless you have an evil heart or something like that?

I guess technically he was in a super saiyan form (albiet Blue), which maybe makes him susceptible to it, but shouldn't there nothing for him to resist?

Also does that mean to get Vegeta to go UI, do they just have Goku throw a Genki Dama at him lol?

When people say 'Goku absorbed the Spirit Bomb' they were talking like movie 7, not just the Spirit Bomb acting as a temporary battery for him.

Yes, that is what happened. All the Spirit Bomb did was give him energy to fight for a moment before burning out. Not Goku pulling a movie 7.
Yeah I didn't say it was like that

He still absorbed it though

HeroR

See what I don't understand is that doesn't the Genki Dama not hurt anyone unless you have an evil heart or something like that?

I guess technically he was in a super saiyan form (albiet Blue), which maybe makes him susceptible to it, but shouldn't there nothing for him to resist?

Also does that mean to get Vegeta to go UI, do they just have Goku throw a Genki Dama at him lol?

That was never said. Only that someone with a pure-heart or no evil ki can bounced it. If it couldn't hurt anyone good, Goku wouldn't hesitate to throw the Spirit Bomb in the Buu Saga when Kid Buu pinned Vegeta. And this is after Vegeta was revived as a good person.

And all the Spirit Bomb did was acts as the trigger for the new form. Anything powerful blast that could kill Goku could've in theory caused the transformation. What cause Goku to transformed was resisting death, which caused him to 'break his shell' and unleashed the power he always had.

In short, it was a power-up born of trauma as Herms put it.

Yesterday they aired the Gohan episode in LatAm. Pretty good. Sucks that we don't really see Gohan for a while...

Today's episode. Zamasu's SOUNDS LOVELY!! Gowasu sounds great too. And man Goku is annoying af lol
What if GT stands for Ganos Time?
It would be Lotus' favorite series

There's a differemce between confidence and arrogance.

I'm not going to dispute much that he has some arrogance (wouldn't be surprised if there was a good argument there), but he's definitely not particularly arrogant, especially when compared to your average strong DB guy.

HeroR

There's a differemce between confidence and arrogance.

I'm not going to dispute much that he has some arrogance (wouldn't be surprised if there was a good argument there), but he's definitely not particularly arrogant, especially when compared to your average strong DB guy.

That isn't just being confidence, that is being both stupid and arrogance. This is Frieza Saga Frieza levels of arrogance here. Having the power to wiped out anyone and proceed to do nothing with it because, 'I'm the most powerful person in the room'. At least Cell had the excused of being a challenge seeker, at least when he's ahead, while Jiren is supposed to be a hero for his universe, yet he can't be bother to wipe out anyone who can threatened his teammates on any level like Vegeta, Frieza, or even Kale who personally wiped five of his teammates.

So yes, Jiren's arrogance is on the level of most Dragon Ball antagonists. The only real different is that Jiren doesn't talk every five seconds about how great he is.

That isn't just being confidence, that is being both stupid and arrogance. This is Frieza Saga Frieza levels of arrogance here. Having the power to wiped out anyone and proceed to do nothing with it because, 'I'm the most powerful person in the room'.

So yes, Jiren's arrogance is on the level of most Dragon Ball antagonists. The only real different is that Jiren doesn't talk every five seconds about how great he is.

Which is still just confidence. He backs it up. He's just doin him.

And the bolded point is a huge reason he's not on the same level of arrogance as so many other DB characters, and which is why he still wont be on that level even if he ends up getting beaten by the end of the arc.

HeroR

Which is still just confidence. He backs it up. He's just doin him.

And the bolded point is a huge reason he's not on the same level of arrogance as so many other DB characters, and which is why he still wont be on that level even if he ends up getting beaten by the end of the arc.

I am not sure where the definition say that the different between confidence and arrogant is being boastful. All the villains in Dragon Ball could back up their arrogance, so Jiren isn't special.

King Piccolo was arrogance that he didn't need to wish to take over the world since he was powerful enough to do it himself. He was also sure no human outside of the Evil Containment Wave could stop him. In fact, he was right. Even Goku beating him was a loophole since Goku wasn't a human.

Vegeta, took the team effect of all the remaining Z-Fighters to win and they still mostly won by luck.

Frieza, lived up to the title of 'strongest being in the universe' and no one could touched him until Goku became a Super Saiyan.

Cell, Ultimate Lifeform. Took someone going beyond Super Saiyan, the previous strongest being in the universe, to beat. Even a fully mastered Super Saiyan couldn't stop him.

Majin Buu, god killer. At his strongest, took the fusion of two of the strongest mortals in the universe to slow him down.

Beerus, still remains an undefeated God of Destruction.

Goku Black, wiped out Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks several times at the same time. Even when backed into a corner, he got stronger.

Merged Zamasu, when he seemingly defeated fuse with the multiverse.

All these characters backed up their talk before they were defeated, or not in the case of Beerus. Being quiet doesn't undermine being arrogance since arrogance is a mindset.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
With two mighty blows, Gohan has brought the once seemingly impossible Jiren to his knees, but as Piccolo says it's not over until it's over. And while Gohan seems to be in control of the moment he has yet to win the day. Don't miss the next Dragon Ball Super.

I am not sure where the definition say that the different between confidence and arrogant is being boastful. All the villains in Dragon Ball could back up their arrogance, so Jiren isn't special.

King Piccolo was arrogance that he didn't need to wish to take over the world since he was powerful enough to do it himself. He was also sure no human outside of the Evil Containment Wave could stop him. In fact, he was right. Even Goku beating him was a loophole since Goku wasn't a human.

Vegeta, took the team effect of all the remaining Z-Fighters to win and they still mostly won by luck.

Frieza, lived up to the title of 'strongest being in the universe' and no one could touched him until Goku became a Super Saiyan.

Cell, Ultimate Lifeform. Took someone going beyond Super Saiyan, the previous strongest being in the universe, to beat. Even a fully mastered Super Saiyan couldn't stop him.

Majin Buu, god killer. At his strongest, took the fusion of two of the strongest mortals in the universe to slow him down.

Beerus, still remains an undefeated God of Destruction.

Goku Black, wiped out Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks several times at the same time. Even when backed into a corner, he got stronger.

Merged Zamasu, when he seemingly defeated fuse with the multiverse.

All these characters backed up their talk before they were defeated, or not in the case of Beerus. Being quiet doesn't undermine being arrogance since arrogance is a mindset.

It's not just about being able to back it up, as I said in my post, it wouldn't matter if Jiren got beat by the end of the arc. He still wouldn't be anywhere near as arrogant as many of these characters. And no, I'm not just talking about villains.

arrogance:

exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner

showing an offensive attitude of superiority

Trash talking and spouting egotistical banter constantly already makes you much more arrogant than Jiren. He shows, and hardly tells.

The reason him being able to back it up to the extent that he does is important to mention because that just shows his restraint and modesty about it all. While a character like Cell or Vegeta, who wasn't that much stronger than the heroes still couldn't help but talk everyone's ears off. You're going to tell me Jiren has been portrayed to be on the same level of arrogance as Frieza when Frieza was still being big headed even after Goku transformed and was basically even in power?

All Whis said was that the Spirit Bomb recharged him, which isn't really the same as absorbed as some were pushing.

Yep we've seen it multiple times in Super at this point. A blast of energy can charge someone's ki and allow them to stay alive/continue to fight. It didn't merge with him or anything or give him a permanent power up or anything like that. It was simply so much energy that it pushed him beyond his limit at the time and he was able to do things his body wasn't ready to do under normal circumstances.

HeroR

It's not just about being able to back it up, as I said in my post, it wouldn't matter if Jiren got beat by the end of the arc. He still wouldn't be anywhere near as arrogant as many of these characters. And no, I'm not just talking about villains.

arrogance:

exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner

showing an offensive attitude of superiority

Trash talking and spouting egotistical banter constantly already makes you much more arrogant than Jiren. He shows, and hardly tells.

The reason him being able to back it up to the extent that he does is important to mention because that just shows his restraint and modesty about it all. While a character like Cell or Vegeta, who wasn't that much stronger than the heroes still couldn't help but talk everyone's ears off. You're going to tell me Jiren has been portrayed to be on the same level of arrogance as Frieza when Frieza was still being big headed even after Goku transformed and was basically even in power?

You say this, but don't really explained why that is the case other than 'he backs it'.

There is more to arrogance than trash talk. Dragon Ball just makes good used of it and even then he did put down both Goku and Hit. It was just more subtile from the usual Dragon Ball character.

Vegeta and Cell were both far above the heroes. Goku wasn't even twice Vegeta's strength and the Z-Fighters got wiped by Nappa that Vegeta was at least 4x stronger than. Cell took on a Mastered Super Saiyan, who Cell said was easily above Trunks and Vegeta together. And he was holding back. Trying to say Jiren has some modesty because he doesn't brag is missing the point of what being arrogance is. You can be arrogance and not speak a single word.

Yes, because we haven't seen Jiren react to being overpowered, so we have no way of knowing right now if he will react like Frieza after he confronted Super Saiyan Goku. So far, he's quite similar to Namek Saga Frieza. Can take care of any problem with their vast power, but chose to sit on their ass and do nothing until somewhat provoke and still don't really try. Jiren is in some ways worse since although he doesn't play with his food like Frieza, he let Goku charged the Spirit Bomb, while Frieza took one look at the Spirit Bomb and went, 'screw that' and tried to kill Goku.

If you want an example of a character being self-confident, but not arrogant, look no further than Hit. He's proud of power, barely talks, and can back up everything he does. He also doesn't look down his nose at his opponents and treats them with some level of respect, even when he plans to kill them. He's also willing to get his hands dirty for the sake of teamwork, while Jiren has shown none of this.

Skeeter49

With two might blows, Gohan has brought the once seemingly impossible Jiren to his knees, but as Piccolo says it's not over until it's over. And while Gohan seems to be in control of the moment he has yet to win the day. Don't miss the next Dragon Ball Super.
How'd you get access to my fanfic?

You say this, but don't really explained why that is the case other than 'he backs it'.

There is more to arrogance than trash talk. Dragon Ball just makes good used of it and even then he did put down both Goku and Hit. It was just more subtile from the usual Dragon Ball character.

Vegeta and Cell were both far above the heroes. Goku wasn't even twice Vegeta's strength and the Z-Fighters got wiped by Nappa that Vegeta was at least 4x stronger than. Cell took on a Mastered Super Saiyan, who Cell said was easily above Trunks and Vegeta together. And he was holding back. Trying to say Jiren has some modesty because he doesn't brag is missing the point of what being arrogance is. You can be arrogance and not speak a single word.

Yes, because we haven't seen Jiren react to being overpowered, so we have no way of knowing right now if he will react like Frieza after he confronted Super Saiyan Goku. So far, he's quite similar to Namek Saga Frieza. Can take care of any problem with their vast power, but chose to sit on their ass and do nothing until somewhat provoke and still don't really try. Jiren is in some ways worse since although he doesn't play with his food like Frieza, he let Goku charged the Spirit Bomb, while Frieza took one look at the Spirit Bomb and went, 'screw that' and tried to kill Goku.

I said why twice, which is that he doesn't gloat in everyone's face about it every chance he gets. Given the portrayal of his personality so far, he is relatively modest compared to those other villains.

My point of posting those definitions of arrogance was to show you that the "trash" talking does play into a lot of what comes off as arrogance. "showing an attitude", "exaggerating ... often by an overbearing manner". The copious amounts of trash talking and ego banter is certainly showing an attitude, and much more overbearing than, well, not speaking about it.

Vegeta and Cell were not "Jiren levels" of far above their opponents when they were talking trash. You can see that from just comparing how their fights went.

At least on one part of this we're on the same page. Because I thought you were actually claiming that Jiren is as arrogant as Frieza even if we are looking at how he acted against SSJ Goku. True we haven't seen how he acts with an opponent on his level. I'd be surprised if he acts in a way I wouldn't expect (<-- lol @ that sentence) but even if he was arrogant about things when he started fighting on par, he still wouldn't be on the same level of arrogance as those other villains simply because of how he would have been portrayed up to that point. Assuming he stays how he is now until he is faced with an opponent on his level of course.

HeroR

I said why twice, which is that he doesn't gloat in everyone's face about it every chance he gets. Given the portrayal of his personality so far, he is relatively modest compared to those other villains.

My point of posting those definitions of arrogance was to show you that the "trash" talking does play into a lot of what comes off as arrogance. "showing an attitude", "exaggerating ... often by an overbearing manner". The copious amounts of trash talking and ego banter is certainly showing an attitude, and much more overbearing than, well, not speaking about it.

Vegeta and Cell were not "Jiren levels" of far above their opponents when they were talking trash. You can see that from just comparing how their fights went.

At least on one part of this we're on the same page. Because I thought you were actually claiming that Jiren is as arrogant as Frieza even if we are looking at how he acted against SSJ Goku. True we haven't seen how he acts with an opponent on his level. I'd be surprised if he acts in a way I wouldn't expect (<-- lol @ that sentence) but even if he was arrogant about things when he started fighting on par, he still wouldn't be on the same level of arrogance as those other villains simply because of how he would have been portrayed up to that point. Assuming he stays how he is now until he is faced with an opponent on his level of course.

Which is flawed since again, there is more to being arrogant than just gloating. And he really isn't "modest compared to those other villains". He's just quiet and most of his arrogance is in his body language, the few lines he does speak, and the way he carries himself. There is a character in One Piece who acts just like Jiren who hardly talks, but there is no mistake that they're an arrogant SOB.

You don't have to be 'Jiren's level' to utterly trashed someone. The power different between Vegeta and Cui was only .75% and Vegeta smashed him. So it really doesn't matter how big the power different is. It's there and no one could challenged them until a set of events happened. Vegeta's case was more outstanding because what took him down was his own false moon and Gohan growing his tail back at the right time.

It seems you're focused on 'Jiren doesn't bragged, so he isn't as arrogant', while downplaying everything else about him. Again, Hit is a better example of someone who is confidence, while not being arrogant about themselves.

Which is flawed since again, there is more to being arrogant than just gloating. And he really isn't "modest compared to those other villains". He's just quiet and most of his arrogance is in his body language, the few lines he does speak, and the way he carries himself. There is a character in One Piece who acts just like Jiren who hardly talks, but there is no mistake that they're an arrogant SOB.

I didn't say there wasn't more to being arrogant than trash talking. The idea of the trash talking and ego banter being adding to one's arrogance factor isn't flawed and I just laid out why in my previous post. What about his body language is arrogance aside form just confidence?

You don't have to be 'Jiren's level' to utterly trashed someone. The power different between Vegeta and Cui was only .75% and Vegeta smashed him. So it really doesn't matter how big the power different is. It's there and no one could challenged them until a set of events happened. Vegeta's case was more outstanding because what took him down was his own false moon and Gohan growing his tail back at the right time.

It seems you're focused on 'Jiren doesn't bragged, so he isn't as arrogant', while downplaying everything else about him. Again, Hit is a better example of someone who is confidence, while not being arrogant about themselves.

Again, the power difference is important to bring up because the fact that Jiren's difference in power was so extreme, yet he refrains from gloating with endless banter, is a stark contrast to other villains. Other villains who are not even on the same level as "out of your league" to everyone as Jiren is, yet they still feel the need to talk.

What makes Hit particularly less arrogant to you? I think they're both relatively modest characters, but I definitely think Hit has some arrogance to him.

Top Bottom