• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim VR on PS4 drops November 17th

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Looks like I'm about to buy this game AGAIN.
Hard to say no to this in VR.

The great thing about bringing Oblivion and Skyrim in VR is that even the base PS4 should be able to render them at full resolution, full effects, high distant LOD, etc...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Wow, 2 hour in. Time flew by, this is an absolute must buy for PSVR. Just figure out to increase the difficulty up once you get the hang of it. Everything is a million times cooler in this, firing bows, magic, attacking and blocking with swords.

That boring carriage ride in the beginning? I was looking at everything, seeing deer skirt away and marveling at actually being in the game.

No wonder Sony is bundling PSVR with this now.

Really cool to hear that 😎.

SirNinja

People excited about Skyrim again.

Feels so weird.

I mean, it's now potentially VR's long-sought-after killer app and a game you can take with you anywhere thanks to Switch - both on the same day no less. Tons of people will be playing it for the first time ever, and/or in a completely new way.

Aztorian

I am tempted, but at the same time I don't wanna spend 60 bucks on a game I already own 3 times just to play it in VR which will probably be fun for an hour or two..

Bramble

I am tempted, but at the same time I don't wanna spend 60 bucks on a game I already own 3 times just to play it in VR which will probably be fun for an hour or two..

Guess I should feel blessed. I never played a second of Skyrim before.

BTW: fun for an hour of two? How can you say that about VR? It's experiencing a game on a whole other level. You are actually there. Just looking around is tons of fun.

Aztorian

Guess I should feel blessed. I never played a second of Skyrim before.

BTW: fun for an hour of two? How can you say that about VR? It's experiencing a game on a whole other level. You are actually there. Just looking around is tons of fun.

Yes very true, but what I experience with VR games in the past (that had a regular version), is that it's really cool and mindblowing at first sight, but after a few hours I start realizing that I already did this quest, and I already killed that boss. I already been here a few times and I already know what it going to happen and so on.. For VR or Switch it will be my third playthrough as I played the game back on PS3 for about 400 hours and the Remaster on PC for about 50 hours.

TLDR: VR is amazing, but doing everything a third time doesn't make it less of a chore in VR.

camo

What's everyone's preferred control method?

It's awesome waving a sword around with the ps move, but I'm not feeling the 'turn with x and square' though. I've fiddled with the tolerance a bit and can't quite find the bit that makes it comfortable for me.

Aztorian

It's awesome waving a sword around with the ps move, but I'm not feeling the 'turn with x and square' though. I've fiddled with the tolerance a bit and can't quite find the bit that makes it comfortable for me.

How do you walk?

Aztorian

Okay I've watched some video's and I have come to the conclusion that I have a problem with money management. Guess I will be playing Skyrim tonight. Again.

Darko

I got the skyrim bundle and theres a few diffrences with the new headset
-the headphone port, volume controls and power button are all integrated into the headset.
-Also the headset comes with headphones that can Mount to it.
-the cable is much thinner and its one single cable unlike the last version.

Neverwas

Mixed feelings so far...but most of that is due to Skyrim's age, particularly the outdoor visuals... plants, ground textures, the matte painting on the horizon. Indoor environments have been pretty cool though. Really get a sense of scale when you look at those ceilings...way up there.

Freeman76

Not great compared to the original game's graphics or not great Resident Evil 7 looks better?

Resi does look slightly better but its not a huge open world title so we have to expect that. Thing is, the experience of playing this is VR is fucking incredible, seriously. One of the most immersive gaming experiences I've had. I've played this game 4 times through and thought I could never handle it again, but it feels better than ever in VR

Aztorian

FAQ:

Can I crouch by crouching
Can I pull back an arrow (PS MOVE)
Can I throw magic (PS MOVE)

You can crouch by doubletapping triangle on the Move, so with DS4 you should be able to.

You can pull back arrows, yes.

You can also "throw" magic, but it's more like casting from your palm instead of doing a kame-hame-ha.

Gold_Loot

Not great compared to the original game's graphics or not great Resident Evil 7 looks better?
I would say it’s comparable to the PS3 version , but with the 3D effect and high frame rate, it feels great.

I’m using moves myself with normal walking. After some adjustment to the turning radius , I think I’ve found the sweet spot.

Try to get a feel for side stepping with the left move controller. Just lightly tilt it in the direction you want to strafe in while holding the walk button down.

After a little practice I can circle strafe enemies while going full Legelos with a bow. It’s awesome!

edh1017

Neo Member
I got the skyrim bundle and theres a few diffrences with the new headset
-the headphone port, volume controls and power button are all integrated into the headset.
-Also the headset comes with headphones that can Mount to it.
-the cable is much thinner and its one single cable unlike the last version.

Are the Move controllers the new version that use micro USB?

How are the motion controls for combat? Do they make a worthwhile difference? The VR is cool and all but if I'm still bored by the DS4 combat I'll probably sit this out.

You can use one or two hands for them.

AYA

Awesome. I've only played through Skyrim once, and I wanted to do a different build from that one. Two handed heavy armor with dark magic it is!

Anyone know if this looks better on the Pro in terms of resolution? I've been watching a couple of videos, and it does seem jaggy--which I guess is to be expected

Darko

How come there are no options to edit move controls? Or am i missing someththing? Also if you want to change control styles you have to go back to the main menu

Are the Move controllers the new version that use micro USB?

Yes they have micro usb. Also comes with the new demo disc thats on psn.

pj2

Neo Member
AYA

Awesome. I've only played through Skyrim once, and I wanted to do a different build from that one. Two handed heavy armor with dark magic it is!

Anyone know if this looks better on the Pro in terms of resolution? I've been watching a couple of videos, and it does seem jaggy--which I guess is to be expected

The pro is higher resolution but videos aren't representative of what you'd see in the headset even on a base ps4. The video sent to the tv when using PSVR is 720p so it will be pretty jaggy

FireCloud

The pro is higher resolution but videos aren't representative of what you'd see in the headset even on a base ps4. The video sent to the tv when using PSVR is 720p so it will be pretty jaggy

Was watching some Skyrim VR streams last night and they mentioned this as well. The video is a lower resolution to what you'd see in the headset at a much lower frame rate.

I downloaded Skyrim VR last night but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Given how big a difference the immersion is with VR, I expect I might initially notice the graphics resolution but that becomes less of an issue when you get into playing the game.

notacat

Still playing, bumped the difficulty too much so need to adjust more. I'm having way more fun with Skyrim now than ever.

Exploring is more fun, just, doing everything is more fun. I'm really curious about the Doom PSVR now after this.

RavageX

I picked it up last night, it looks a bit worse than I expected. I have the PS4 pro.

I only played till you first get to the closest town cause of damned nausea(been a while since I played vr).

Very enjoyable, I'm not too bothered about graphics. Not much point in character creation. I assume they took out the special kills and such as I've not seen any.

I doubt I'll even mess with many quests, lol. And used a bow on spiders from far off, then examined them up close....lol. I don't like giant spiders.

Grinchy

Banned
The resolution is increased on the Pro, but no additional improvements were made, from what I understand. They had to really compromise the level of detail a lot to hit 60fps, but it plays really nicely.

wondermega

I have always had zero interest whatsoever in skyrim in any of its forms, but this thread is doing a good damned job of making sure I'll try it in VR.

So this is probably the best thing I've ever played in my life.

I am rolling with a two handed weapon barbarian build (mostly due to the bug that causes sword/shield to draw at random, but Bethesda says a patch is inbound)...

I love exploring crypts and caverns, the feeling of hand to hand combat with beasts... Hell just rolling into a town and standing face to face with an npc and reading and reciting the dialogue options feels like you are having a conversation! If you role play this role playing game, its god damn brilliant.

I was walking through the fields outside Whiterun when I stumbled upon a downed marauder, he was lying in a pool of blood next to his horse, arrows stuck in his chest. His horse never left his side. I mounted the horse ( I stand when playing but I'm right in front of my couch so when riding I sit down and re calibrate the camera, also, sometimes I rest on on actual steps and chairs in the game lol) and pulled out my great sword, as I rode full speed through the field and deer ran out in front of me. I chased it down and swung from the horse and downed the deer, hopped off and scavenged its flesh and pelt... Holy shit, this game. (pro-tip, exploring Skyrim at night, with the aurora in the sky while listening to this over spotify https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mHagQEL4-E is an actual religious experience.)

RavageX

Enjoying the hell out of it. It's ALMOST like playing for the first time. Looking around, seeing everything in scale. Standing NEXT to NPCs....

I only did the first barrow and had to stop. I seem to manage a couple hours before nausea hits, but it's definitely worth it.

No regrets rebuying here from someone who has played the game since it first came out on PC.

Neverwas

Got up to about level 10, tried the move controllers, and the game glitched out so that all menus and text appeared to the left of my field of view. Tried rebooting (ps4 and VR), starting a new game, deleting all saves. None of it worked. Ended up deleting my entire game file, and redownloading. Hopefully it's better when I try it again today. =(

Everything I'm hearing makes the motion controls sound like the best way to play Skyrim. My holdup was always the combat. It makes me really happy to hear that this may be the best version for me to stay interested. Getting sucked into a fantasy world still seems like such a far off concept. It's so tempting to buy this. But it still doesn't sit well with me that I'd be paying full retail price for a game this old...

Someone has to convince me. I'm begging you!

Top Bottom