• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny 2 info from EDGE #310

Psykoboy2

I just added it to my cart. The silver, I mean.

For 5 bucks, I'm curious to pull the trigger. I know the game won't magically end up in the library, but I'm curious if it'll even let me complete the transaction.

border

Eververse is returning to Destiny 2, and I imagine they'll retain "Silver" as the premium currency. Description text could just be placeholder.
It says to visit Tess Everiss in the Tower to spend silver. The Tower is destroyed in Destiny 2.

The item description is from Destiny 1. Seems weird to just use that as a placeholder.

DHH0HEJVoAEMDer.jpg

DHH1-aLUwAA6drR.jpg

https://twitter.com/Grief_exe/status/896766279503159296

This real?

sad that eververse is back.....

Eververse is returning to Destiny 2, and I imagine they'll retain "Silver" as the premium currency. Description text could just be placeholder.

Yeh, was a bit of a dent in the experience for me when we got to check out the farm and I found the Eververse emblem emblazoned on the top of one of the tents. Obviously it was going to come, just hadn't thought about it until that point.

border

I think it's possible that Bungie was mulling a Steam port of Destiny 1 to build up an audience on the PC.....and planned on switching them over to the Blizzard launcher when the sequel came out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
that's been in the Steam DB for the last two years, when Silver showed up on Destiny 1 console.

The app has, yes, but the items were implemented earlier in the year, plus SteamDB didn't start polling Steam's inventory service for item data until quite literally just the other day (notice how there's no Items tab on Google's August 6th snapshot of the page). That's not to say I believe Destiny 1 PC is en route, though. I said in the Steam thread I think it's just an indie dev borrowing Destiny's silver microtransactions for testing, however I didn't consider the possibility the app is actually Destiny 2 and the descriptions and icons are placeholders, which isn't entirely out of the question.

Drewfonse

Uh, the Edge details sound amazing.

Can we assume that the campaign's enemies scale in strength if you have friends playing with you? Did they in D1?

Am excited.

excowboy

I like how Bungie is trying to solve problems that don't exist

Yeah, the timers sound kinda nonsense. A similar thing I haven't seen much talk about in the community is locked loadouts, which they have announced for some activities i.e. pick your weapons, gear, class and perks before starting.

In one of their recent podcasts they were discussing how cool it was that they had to restart/go to orbit a number of times until they got the right setup. I couldn't actually believe my ears at how shit that sounds, doubly so given one of the problems in LFG is 'must have Gjallerhorn' bs. As you say, fixing problems that don't exist.

Yeah, the timers sound kinda nonsense. A similar thing I haven't seen much talk about in the community is locked loadouts, which they have announced for some activities i.e. pick your weapons, gear, class and perks before starting.

In one of their recent podcasts they were discussing how cool it was that they had to restart/go to orbit a number of times until they got the right setup. I couldn't actually believe my ears at how shit that sounds, doubly so given one of the problems in LFG is 'must have Gjallerhorn' bs. As you say, fixing problems that don't exist.

Maybe Bungie should have PTR in the future since the players apparently know about Destiny better than they do :p

funcojoe

I think in the grand scheme of things you guys who are against a timer will appreciate come 3/6 months after the games release.

The strike mechanics will be memorized by then and the time limit plus modifiers make the strikes become almost like an arcade game where you try to finish with high scores and lowering your time.

After the campaign is finished and you all get your lore needs out of the way, destinys long lasting appeal is multiplayer, and if you like competitive you play crucible, co-op it's raids and strike scoring. With out a timer is strikes and nightfalls there isn't that incentive of trying to beat previous scores.

excowboy

Maybe Bungie should have PTR in the future since the players apparently know about Destiny better than they do :p

PTR? Idk, maybe it'll be great, and, (as I think you're implying!) they certainly know their game better than me! It was just the way they were discussing it sounded so counterintuitive - they were saying how cool it was that they had to restart loads, and I personally have no idea why that would be a good thing!

The app has, yes, but the items were implemented earlier in the year, plus SteamDB didn't start polling Steam's inventory service for item data until quite literally just the other day (notice how there's no Items tab on Google's August 6th snapshot of the page). That's not to say I believe Destiny 1 PC is en route, though. I said in the Steam thread I think it's just an indie dev borrowing Destiny's silver microtransactions for testing, however I didn't consider the possibility the app is actually Destiny 2 and the descriptions and icons are placeholders, which isn't entirely out of the question.

D1 releasing on Steam while D2 comes to Battle.net would be one of the most bizarre decision I've ever seen.

Ramirez

Locked loadout activities are one of the most compelling additions to me.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Uh, that's straight up Destiny 1 stuff. I thought they said Silver wasn't coming to Destiny 2 at all, though we know Eververse is back.

Gator86

This sounds like actual shit.

a harpy

Why don't they just start Locked Loadout activities with a safe zone where you can change everything? It's insane to think you have to sit through loading screens to mess with your UI.

Mindlog

Locked loadouts... eh. Could go either way. I'm for adding difficulty to encounters, but strongly against linearity. Doing goofy shit is half the fun when the game is on farm.

It's insane to think they did nothing about the second screen requirement for proper inventory management between characters.

Here's hoping for something we don't know about yet.

Ramirez

I guess they may be a bit divisive?!
I do try and reserve judgement, but it sounds like such a frustrating experience from what they described.

EDIT: Bungie Podcast July 17 on Podbay - locked loadout discussion from 14m10s for anyone interested. Sorry its a little OT.

I like the idea that you have to complete activities wearing only what you have. Forcing people in your fireteam to specialize in something, and not everyone whipping out their Gjallahorn to erase the enemy. This plays into the new heavy system, where not everyone can run a sniper plus a RL. I think it's going to open up some challenging gameplay possibilities that frankly just weren't there in the original game. Do I want it in every activity? No, but I'm excited at new gameplay challenges it can open up.

I think it would be great to enforce it in ToO as well. People would switch to stuff like fast res items then remove them, shit like that is lame to me.

I don't like timed stuff in games but I don't know enough about it to complain just yet. We are talking about a challenge mode though so it's kind of hard to.

On Silver:
I refuse to buy any in D2 until there's an emote wheel (or something of equivalent functionality). It's already bullshit that silver and emotes don't carry over.

Crazy_KiD_169

Neo Member
This is taken from Reddit user The_Doctor_Zoose, but it's a list, in order, of D1's missions, strikes and Raids. It also includes some of the remixed Strikes, so you could argue they hardly count as "new".

Seems when I said D2 will be D1 plus all DLC, I wasn't far off! I don't think D2 will get the same content outcry that D1 faced at launch.

Yea this is great and also it's 80+ missions/activities with one raid, this list includes the 4 raids from Destiny 1. Now that's exciting. All I wanted out of destiny was more to play, and destiny 2 seems like it will provide that can't wait.

excowboy

I like the idea that you have to complete activities wearing only what you have. Forcing people in your fireteam to specialize in something, and not everyone whipping out their Gjallahorn to erase the enemy. This plays into the new heavy system, where not everyone can run a sniper plus a RL. I think it's going to open up some challenging gameplay possibilities that frankly just weren't there in the original game. Do I want it in every activity? No, but I'm excited at new gameplay challenges it can open up.

I think it would be great to enforce it in ToO as well. People would switch to stuff like fast res items then remove them, shit like that is lame to me.

I've never actually played ToO but heard about these exploits and I agree that if this deals with that it could be good.

They do reason this stuff in the podcast that it gives a stronger sense of player's having distinct roles in encounters and that could be good. The counterpoint to that would be that in well designed encounters players can already have a good sense of their job without this restriction (raid bosses for example).

Back on topic the '80+ activities' does sound good. I have reservations based on the beta and what they've said to the media but I think they will deliver a good campaign and plenty of extras that make it worth picking up.

If the changes for D2 mean it only holds my attention for 20 hours compared to the hundreds I've spent in Destiny to date, then that's completely fine for a full price game and I'll be satisfied. My wife however will be ecstatic...

FiraB

Banned
Timelimit on nightfalls.

Doesn't phase me as that tells me they aren't going to be as bullet spongey as D1.

Locked loadouts?Is that real? Is so, that's real nifty Bungie. I hope at some point they realize they're really fucking up something that could have been absolutely massive.

More details now that the issue came out today:
The weapon system:
"Smith readily admits the change has been at least partly implemented to make life easier for Bungie´s design teams.
Yet beneath the spectacle lies, once again, the teams desire to make players plan ahead and talk.
Smith asks us to picture running the Vault of Glass, the first (and still best) Destiny raid, using the Destiny 2 weapon system. "Imagine the conversation you're going to have when you're about to do the Oracle phase," he says referring to a section where players must quickly take down a series of randomly spawning spheres of light - and will be instantly killed if they miss even one before it disappears after a few seconds - while also dealing with waves of high-level enemies. "Who´s bringing a sniper rifle? Who's bringing a fusion rifle for the Minotaurs? You're now putting your own those powerful things in conflict with a rocket launcher, which is for AOE wave clearing and can effectively replace something like a Nova Bomb. Well, now, Nova Bomb could be more important, because not everybody´s running with a sniper rifle and rocket launcher. What this system does is make player power more predictable, but it also allows Supers, in a number of ways, to shine even brighter in the game."

Abilities:
"So yes, relax: base cooldowns are lower in the final game than they were in the beta.
Grenades now hit like magical, elementally powered trucks, and are no longer solely used for clearing out low-level adds. Chuck one at a boss, and the effect is dramatic.

Exotics:
"A perk in the Dawnblade subclass lets us speed up the recharge rate of our grenade with airborne kills; an exotic chestpiece, acquired during the campaign when our characterís level s still in single figures, makes us hover in place when we aim down our gunsights in air.

Hunters
Smith points out that one subclass path lets Hunters create up to eight orbs for their allies using their Golden Gun - enough when picked up to fill every team member´s entire Super bar from scratch. But there´s more. Smith has asked us not to spoil it, and for once we've agreed. Suffice it to say that everything is going to be fine.

On 30fps vs. 60fps:
In an era where 60 fps is fast becoming the accepted standard on console, is 30fps good enough? A thousand of hours on our Destiny save file suggest it is, yes, thanks for asking; in any case, executive producer Mark Noseworthy suggests we shouldn't expect that to change any time soon. "Its about the simulation of the Destiny world" he says. Thirsty AI at once, large open spaces, six players, sometimes with vehicles, and drop ships coming in; that´s where we´re using the CPU. Could we make a Destiny game that ran at 60fps? Yes but the space would be smaller, it would be less cooperative, and there'd be fewer monsters to shoot. That´s not the game we want to make. First and foremost, we´re trying to make an incredible action game. We don´t feel we've been held back by the choices we've made about world simulation versus framerate; in fact we think we think we´re offering a player experience you can't have elsewhere because of the choices we´re making. But if framrate is something thats really important to you, there is a platform now where you can spend as much money as you want, to go as fast as possible." On PC, in addition to offering 4K visuals, Destiny 2´s framerate will be uncapped.

On Boss fights:
"Boss fights are no longer attritional checks of your damage output and endurance, but tests of skill; the excellent, shape-shifting final boss neither relentlessly shells you nor surrounds you with swarm of minions, but does just enough to ensure you're constantly mowing, always thinking, forever under threat. His health bar goes down quickly once you can land shots on him, but the real battle is creating the opportunity to do so, finding gaps between his attacks and his backup troops."

On Public events, Adventures and Lost Sectors:
"Patrols and Strikes - the only PVE activities available in Destiny 1 outside of story missions - don´t unlock until the final third of the campaign, and until the notification popped up we hadn't even noticed their absence.
Some Public events can be called in manually by picking up a flag that refills your super meter.
Adventures are lengthy, fully voiced side missions, thick with story, that span multiple sections and yield valuable rewards.
Lost Sectors are signaled by in-world graffiti, nudging you towards some innocuous corner of the level that leads to a battle against a miniboss guarding a crate full of loot, encouraging exploration in a manner the first Destiny never managed."

On Destiny 2´s story length:
There are over 80 missions and activities in Destiny 2, and each is substantial - in length, challenge, story and reward.

"We turned all these knobs this one way and it turns out that, at hour 55 you fell off a cliff." It has been fixed of course."

On Clan rewards:
"There will be other benefits for clan members: if you don´t finish the Nightfall one week but a clanmate does, you'll get a reward package their honour."*

Also, Patrols and Strikes don't unlock until the final third of the campaign:
Patrols and Strikes — the only PVE activities available in Destiny 2 outside of story missions — don't unlock until the final third of the campaign. and until the notification popped up we hadn't even noticed their absence.

GhaleonEB

The weapon system:

"Smith readily admits the change has been at least partly implemented to make life easier for Bungie´s design teams.

Yet beneath the spectacle lies, once again, the teams desire to make players plan ahead and talk.

Smith asks us to picture running the Vault of Glass, the first (and still best) Destiny raid, using the Destiny 2 weapon system. "Imagine the conversation you're going to have when you're about to do the Oracle phase," he says referring to a section where players must quickly take down a series of randomly spawning spheres of light - and will be instantly killed if they miss even one before it disappears after a few seconds - while also dealing with waves of high-level enemies. "Who´s bringing a sniper rifle? Who’s bringing a fusion rifle for the Minotaurs? You’re now putting your own those powerful things in conflict with a rocket launcher, which is for AOE wave clearing and can effectively replace something like a Nova Bomb. Well, now, Nova Bomb could be more important, because not everybody´s running with a sniper rifle and rocket launcher. What this system does is make player power more predictable, but it also allows Supers, in a number of ways, to shine even brighter in the game."
I like how he describes it in this scenario, but the flip side is the impact on the solo player, which is what I am most of the time. Now I need to decide between a shotgun and a rocket launcher, or a sniper rifle and heavy machine gun. Those kind of trade offs, when playing solo, don't make sense and will result in more limited play styles where we use fewer weapons.

I like how he describes it in this scenario, but the flip side is the impact on the solo player, which is what I am most of the time. Now I need to decide between a shotgun and a rocket launcher, or a sniper rifle and heavy machine gun. Those kind of trade offs, when playing solo, don't make sense and will result in more limited play styles where we use fewer weapons.
Honestly from the beta I didn't mind, having two high-DPS weapons is pretty good. Felt great to need to reload and be able to switch to a 'second primary'.

I play predominantly solo and think I'll switch up my weapons more often now than before where it was mostly primary, sniper, rockets.

Perhaps that there was a linear progression of player power during the campaign and then there was no more progress— so you hit the end-game state for your character before you hit the availability of end-game activities.

Yeah that could be, but at 55 hours? A max power character in D1 takes much much longer than that, if it's ever truly "maxed" at all.

Gator86

More details now that the issue came out today:

Also, Patrols and Strikes don't unlock until the final third of the campaign:

Thanks for posting! I don't like Luke Smith as a game designer. The weapon system switch is utterly joyless for SP content and sounds mostly irritating in MP contexts.

He describes bosses that are new and fresh but the beta boss was just the same old shit, now with lava floors.

That hunter bit is shit journalism. Either say something about it or shut up. Also the big problem with hunters, for me at least, was that their playstyles were boring as fuck in the beta as opposed to the more interestingly designed class powers and perks for the other classes. I don't care how many orbs I spray out if playing hunter is dry as fuck, especially with the new, and also bad, weapon system.

It just feels like everything Luke Smith says is bullshit. Really curious to see how everything plays out when D2 launches and we get to try everything for ourselves.

Top Bottom