• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: New screenshot found on SSM website!

I don't think it's just to do with generally receiving light or not receiving it. IR is caused when cells receive the same signal for extended periods of time (like a HUD or TV channel logo) causing them to retain that signal. So the presence of black bars isn't going to aggravate it.
It doesn't go as fast as a with a white hud element, but the cells between the bars will get signals constantly and the black bars won't. Trust me, it works the same way. It's nothing to worry about, but it's a thing that happens.
It's not a theory.

Anyway, i'll be playing this game without a worry.

IvorB

It doesn't go as fast as a with a white hud element, but the cells between the bars will get signals constantly and the black bars won't. Trust me, it works the same way. It's nothing to worry about, but it's a thing that happens.
It's not a theory.

Anyway, i'll be playing this game without a worry.

Mmmm... I thought it had to be the same signal on the same cells to be a real issue. Anyway, I haven't had any IR problems on my Panny since the early days so it's not something I worry about too much.

Still would have preferred this game without the bars but whatever I guess.

demolitio

Looks stunning. The setting is still the best thing about this game though.

As a big fan of TPS, this should be pretty damn good.

Gestault

I think I'm excited for this. It's so easy to make an unimpressive third-person shooter, but I tend to enjoy them when done right. This team has every reason for our trust, so count me in. I'd love to see a sort of flippant tone to the script, the same way the excessive weapons contrast with the setting. Also, beards.

This is new, too.

image-0567a0a0-b9ff-4067-8044-0a3adb608625.jpg

Gears of Wolf

The game looks fantastic already from this months-old batch of screenshots, could use some stronger anisotropic filtering and maybe some of the ground textures are blurry also. Not too worried about the aniso f. after the comments from MJP about post AA alone not being good enough for them.

vmdf4.gif
WAT!? So they actually use forward rendering lol?

Yeah, they've accurately simulated lenses instead of just going for color correction. It definitely looks way better than it does in other games.
Beyond used accurately simulated lenses as well and it looked glorious. Same with the Sorcerer. Love these effects when done right like here.

Pennywise

Looks like these are "old" screens according to Andrea Pessino.

Andrea Pessino ‏@AndreaPessino 27s

@xtremevita those shots are very old and were not used for good reason. :) No idea how or why they got leaked now.

And they're into the crunching phase.

Andrea Pessino ‏@AndreaPessino
Now this is cool - if we weren't crunching on The Candy Order: 1886 I'd be all ever this. :)...

Before anyone wonders about the candy thing, he posted a link regarding the candy trademark thing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I changed my mind I love this game now

fuck deferred rendering and the shitty pseudo AA sacrificing image quality

Hahah. Yeah, I hope forward+ catches on. He said PS4 and GCN architecture are well suited to it. I hope he posts on here again once the game has been shown more since he had some cool tech details to share.

@xtremevita those shots are very old and were not used for good reason. :) No idea how or why they got leaked now.

Now this is cool - if we weren't crunching on The Candy Order: 1886 I'd be all ever this. :)...

Before anyone wonders about the candy thing, he posted a link regarding the candy trademark thing.

Judging by the looks of Andrea Pessino, crunching is no phase for him.

GameSeeker

While the very limited media available for this game looks good, it's too early to get too excited. Nothing of gameplay has been revealed and there is no public release date.

While the early rumors were a summer release, given the small size of the dev team and the general tendency for schedules to move to the right, this game is likely Q4 2014 and it could even slide to early 2015.

We should get updated media at E3.

viveks86

That's weird. I understand the the screenshots are from an old build, they were released to GI a while back. But they are now on their website! Don't know what he means by "leak".

Also, is he suggesting that he isn't proud of these shots?! What the hell does the game look like now? o_O

That's weird. I understand the the screenshots are from an old build, they were released to GI a while back. But they are now on their website! Don't know what he means by "leak".

Also, is he suggesting that he isn't proud of these shots?! What the hell does the game look like now? o_O

Yea it does seem like that's what he trying to say. Someone from there should just leak a video or some screens, because the marketing team hasn't done anything.

Dev on here said it's Forward+, which combines deferred shading and forward rendering since they wanted to use both MSAA and post AA for good IQ.
Interesting. I actually thought something like that would be impossible without a huge performance loss (deferred shading + traditional MSAA). They should attend GDC and explain this in more detail, could be useful to other devs.

I changed my mind I love this game now

fuck deferred rendering and the shitty pseudo AA sacrificing image quality
Fortunately we are getting way better algorithms this gen. Ryse's solution looks fantastic and will be used quite a bit this gen I think. It combines MLAA (Beyond, God of War) with MSAA. Deferred rendering or not I think most devs will finally solve the aliasing problem this gen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I have a strong feeling that the reason we haven't seen gameplay yet is because they don't want to be accused of BSing the reveal. Look at KZ and DC, both looked like crap at E3 but look incredible now. I think Sony wants to avoid situations like that again

Don't tell me the holes in the walls in the third and fourth screenshot were created by the player's gun.

If that is the case, holy balls I am excited for this. It was the talk of the physics-based combat that first really made this one of my most anticipated games on 2014.

Pennywise

Andrés Scianca ‏@Andrescianca 25m
@AndreaPessino @xtremevita the screens are in the new web of Santa Monica http://sms.playstation.com/the-order/

Andrea Pessino ‏@AndreaPessino 8m

@Andrescianca @xtremevita they are very old, from about the time of the @gameinformer article. Glad if you like, new stuff is better. ;)

@Roboplato
He seems like a super nice guy though :p

luca_29_bg

Yup I mean those low res floor textures feels like im gaming on my NES. Game is gonna look BAD.

yeah old screenshots from old build make a game that will be out this fall or later looking bad....ahahaha gaf is always the same. Never judge a game before it's released, especially games big and important like this...

sector4

is it just me or is there some strange anisotrophic DOF aberration rim lighting thing going on...

maybe this is what they meant by Filmic.
6 pages later, but yeah, the Game Informer article went in depth about what they're doing to make it filmic.

From using film grain, to emulating lenses and how they deal with light, chromatic abberations and blur / vignettes around the corners, all the way to the 2.35 cinemascope aspect. They're really going all out emulating film, I can't wait to see it in motion.

viveks86

I have a strong feeling that the reason we haven't seen gameplay yet is because they don't want to be accused of BSing the reveal. Look at KZ and DC, both looked like crap at E3 but look incredible now. I think Sony wants to avoid situations like that again

Makes sense. Probably why their marketing decided to hold back the DC gameplay video as well. They might have allowed those shots for the GI magazine because they are more difficult to scrutinize. May be whoever made the website goofed up and posted those shots?

Andrés Scianca ‏@Andrescianca 25m
@AndreaPessino @xtremevita the screens are in the new web of Santa Monica http://sms.playstation.com/the-order/

Andrea Pessino ‏@AndreaPessino 8m

@Andrescianca @xtremevita they are very old, from about the time of the @gameinformer article. Glad if you like, new stuff is better. ;)

Thanks! Obligatory HNNNNNGGG!

Endo Punk

I really hope werewolves are the main antagonist. Sick of humans, zombies, robots etc. Not enough werewolves in games I say, it would make the idea that the game is just another TPS an easy pill to swallow.

sector4

I really hope werewolves are the main antagonist. Sick of humans, zombies, robots etc. Not enough werewolves in games I say, it would make the idea that the game is just another TPS an easy pill to swallow.
Werewolves would be badass, the initial trailer kind of felt like that to me, I'm still hoping Jack The Ripper makes an appearance of some sort, the setting, the time period, it fits! haha!

QaaQer

This is is one of the few higher profile games that I'm not really sold on at all. The character models look great and there are a couple of atmospheric screenshots, but I dunno, just can't get too excited of what looks like yet another shooter. I dunno, maybe I'd just have hoped for a more melee emphasizing game or something. Of course, we haven't seen any gameplay yet, so maybe a great demonstration can change my mind.

Streamlined 'everybody wins' third person cover shooters has been so over done. Maybe they will change it up a bit? I'd rather see God of War gameplay tbh.

I think crunching doesn't necessarily mean they're at the final stages.

You can crunch anytime. I think it's that SCRUM management thing, like 2 weeks off and one week crunching. That's how they maximise productivity, without burning out.

I predict an appearance at PlayStation event in Feb :p
Sony will announce another PS Meeting unveiling the successor to the Vita :D But seriously, we have to get something by March. No way Sony will wait until E3 for every single game they have. Destination Playstation is just a retailer event, but who knows. Maybe we get something solid there too.

LastNac

Yes. Besides the fact that it's developed by a AAA studio with a good pedigree (from Naughty Dog, Blizzard, etc.).

It's being co-written by the screenwriter of the HBO miniseries "John Adams" Kirk Ellis and the game's creative director Ru Weerasuriya (who generally seems as passionate as Neil Druckmann was about making TLoU), and they have a pretty rich backstory that they've created for the game.

It's inspired by Uncharted 2, and seeks to be as good as it was.

Quicktime events are changed apparently, making it so the user has more control over the event itself

A healing item called Black Water is apparently integral to the story

The guns are not typical TPS "shooter" flair, they are in many varieties (not just AR, shotgun, uzi, etc.)

Destruction is very visceral in the game, items destroy in-game as they would realistically (see the pic of the fiery hole in the wall)

Other than that we don't know too much about the game (which IMO is a good thing)

As someone who thinks we should be moving away from cutscenes as a story telling mechanic and want to be involved and engaged as long as possible, something like their "interactive cinematic moments" really stand out to me. Such as what was hinted at in the GI:

•During an escape sequence, Galahad and Percival come across an injured man and drags him into a building, the camera zooms in close and the player is still fighting off rebels while the sequence of saving the man continues to play out, this is one of the game's "interactive cinematic moments".

Cinematic(or filmic) is a word thrown around often and we all seem to have different opinions about what it means. To some "cinematic" is a thing, a traditional cutscene that is passive and detached from our interaction to inform us on the narrative or show us an awesome moment. To me, in part, cinematic is about presentation. I am delighted that RaD are investing so much in the look of The Order. They have a desired style and they want to match it, and honestly I really like the aspect ratio, I like the visual flavor it brings. It's as much a choice for them as it was for Nintendo to do WW in in cel-shaded form. I think the boxes alone add character and personally can't wait to see some gameplay in the ratio.

They are working really hard to achieve that cinematic look and I applaud them for it and in this sense, this might be the most filmic looking title ever. The other side to that "cinematic-coin" for me is trying to make every moment playable and it sounds like those "interactive cinematic moments" might end up being exactly what I am looking for.

Honestly, its hard to not bring up cinematic traits and not talk about Uncharted and ND and how those titles are "cinematic". Often when people talk about Uncharted and "Cinematic" they talk about the cutscenes, but as I said earlier, great cutscenes=/= being "cinematic to me. Yes, Uncharted 3 had fantastic cinematic presentation(dynamic camera angles during gameplay!) and those little details here and there with animations but it also had those gameplay moments that were small and focused on character, not action(the desert as an example). Even more recently ND crafted those special gameplay moments in TLoU with
the opening, impaled Joel, giraffes, and the ending

For me, cinematic is about having all of those things combined. Sounds like RaD are making exactly the kind of thing I wish there was more of and what I personally want to play.

TL;DR version.

I feel John Hammond would tell me "It's right up your alley."

Top Bottom