• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon/Verge writer says Naughty Dog staff said inappropriate things to her (quote)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, this looks rough
hJTk23v.png

Papacheeks

Banned
That is fucking terrible. I really want to know how old the ND employee was that said that.

Sounds like some young dumb ass, like where was this person raised who has the audacity to say that to another professional? Especially if that person is press trying to give the developer exposure time for their project no less.

I feel privileged I guess that my parents were old-school and taught me how to act among other professional's or just how to act period.

Jesus.

CookTrain

That is fucking terrible. I really want to know how old the ND employee was that said that.

Sounds like some young dumb ass, like where was this person raised who has the audacity to say that to another professional? Especially if that person is press trying to give the developer exposure time for their project no less.

I feel privileged I guess that my parents were old-school and taught me how to act among other professional's or just how to act period.

Jesus.

I don't know that age comes into it. Predatory behaviour seems to have no age limit as long as the person thinks they will get away with it. Maybe worsens with age, given that.

There was some corroboration when the initial claim came out that this sort of situation wasn't unheard of at Naughty Dog, but that seemed to get left aside. I'm glad to see someone else is confident enough to come forward now.

TheModestGun

Neo Member
Man... this is not good. I wonder if same or different person? I really wish names would start getting dropped so the cancer can be cut out.

Even on the off chance that remark was intended as a joke, that is not even remotely ok especially in a professional context.

dugdug

Banned
Even on the off chance that remark was intended as a joke, that is not even remotely ok especially in a professional context.

It reads to me like a *really* awful and uncalled-for joke (that would never be asked of a male reporter) as opposed to Ballard's harassment claims, but, it does appear ND need to start some heavier background checks on people before bringing them on board.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It reads to me like a *really* awful and uncalled-for joke (that would never be asked of a male reporter) as opposed to Ballard's harassment claims, but, it does appear ND need to start some heavier background checks on people before bringing them on board.

harassment is harassment, joking or not. intent is irrelevant.

Yeah, this looks rough
hJTk23v.png

jfc the complete lack of self awareness on some people (the dev not her) is astounding. Like how fucked up or developmentally stunted do you have to be to think it's okay to ask something like that in a professional setting, even if you are joking?

jfc the complete lack of self awareness on some people (the dev not her) is astounding. Like how fucked up or developmentally stunted do you have to be to think it's okay to ask something like that in a professional setting, even if you are joking?
I work in a corporate setting. You'd be amazed at how brazen and disgusting some people are when it comes to making comments like that, and openly so.

Thankfully, the two biggest culprits in our department have found other jobs as of quite recently (they were both in positions of authority) so the office morale has gone up significantly since then.

Some people are just crass beyond rational thinking.

Lady Gaia

Hooooooly fuck. Do some of these people have no home training? You shouldn’t even think about uttering such a phrase in a professional context much less as a fucking joke.

This is a country where the people who claim the moral high ground still feel no shame in electing serial adulterers and harassers and perpetuating normalization of rape culture. Is it really a huge shock that there are employees like this in every company? Calling them out is one part of dealing with the problem, but getting people to admit that we have a systemic problem is still a challenge.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is a country where the people who claim the moral high ground still feel no shame in electing serial adulterers and harassers and perpetuating normalization of rape culture. Is it really a huge shock that there are employees like this in every company? Calling them out is one part of dealing with the problem, but getting people to admit that we have a systemic problem is still a challenge.

Yep. Tip of the iceberg, and cutting a piece out of one body won't change the problem at all.

GLAMr

Yeah, this looks rough
hJTk23v.png
My mother would belt me if she heard me say something like that. As in my decrepit 50-something mother would literally grab a belt and beat seven shades of shit out of my grown ass 32 year old self. I honestly couldn't imagine uttering such a thing.

Who the fuck is raising somebody to think this is OK?

Maxinas

Okay, as a huge ND fan, I think it would be wise to tell the devs that they should get off their high horse stop treating people like this T_T

If it was that easy to convince people to stop doing bad shit, the world would be a much happier place. Some people can only learn the hard way.

Archtreyz

I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of stuff happens at all big developers. Hundreds of employees, I'm sure there have to be a handful that are pieces of crap. I just hope they get/have been rooted out.

VeeP

Lol. Now every one can post fake like this.

Great, now we're gonna see shit posts like this. "Innocent until guilty!" "Where's the receipts!" "Why would she wait until now to say this?" "Probably just wants attention" "If she waited this long to come forward it's her fault"

Okay, as a huge ND fan, I think it would be wise to tell the devs that they should get off their high horse stop treating people like this T_T

Remember it's not the studio, maybe just 1-3 devs, who may have left by now. Hopefully Naughtydog can get to the bottom of this and fix it.

fvng

Please do not punish naughty dog's incredibly talented staff because of the actions of the sexual harassser. People are there working hard on TLOU II and it would be awful if people refused the buy the game because of one or two bad apples there. That just punishes all the good people there

Great, now we're gonna see shit posts like this. "Innocent until guilty!" "Where's the receipts!" "Why would she wait until now to say this?" "Probably just wants attention"

If any of this a possibility no matter how remote, then yes, someone should think in this line. No one should assume absolute +ve or -ve by default in any accusation.

KyleCross

Please do not punish naughty dog's incredibly talented staff because of the actions of the sexual harassser. People are there working hard on TLOU II and it would be awful if people refused the buy the game because of one or two bad apples there. That just punishes all the good people there

So you care more about their games sales than harassment? Yes, of course there's many people at ND who aren't pieces of shit, but that's the case at every company. Companies often refuse to do anything about stuff like this, maybe some horrible PR and potential loss of sales is what it takes for them to weed out the garbage. They can keep TLOU2 if they have no intention on correcting this shit.

Remember it's not the studio, maybe just 1-3 devs, who may have left by now. Hopefully Naughtydog can get to the bottom of this and fix it.

That's probably bad wording on my behalf. I'm most definitely not going damn them all and I definitely will still support them. Its just this whole situation has been very confusing since this is ND of all places. Hopefully they can sort out their HR.

Belstras

Kinda sad to know that naughty dog has a fear mongering culture where you can't even voice your concerns of the workplace without getting fired.
That is a shitty environment to be in. 20000 dollars is not worth it, if you are getting harassed at work every day and just want some respect.

fvng

So you care more about their games sales than harassment? Yes, of course there's many people at ND who aren't pieces of shit, but that's the case at every company. Companies often refuse to do anything about stuff like this, maybe some horrible PR and potential loss of sales is what it takes for them to weed out the garbage. They can keep TLOU2 if they have no intention on correcting this shit.

What? How did you completely misread what I said? Try again. My concern is about people. Try again

Wink

Shitty people are everywhere, you would seriously have to stop buying anything if that is how you express your protest. Only thing that stops assholes from gettin a free pass is speaking out about it and being vigilant if you observe such a thing.
But please make a concious effort to differentiate between the statistical inevitability that there are rotten people at any big company and the vast majority of employees who are good people. Don't throw all of them under the bus over such incidents. Target the individuals who committed these travesties.

Like the incident the reporter tweeted... immediately get that dudes name and make it known who specifically it was. Saying "a dev at Naughty Dog" people will read as "devs at Naughty Dog".
We can only stop this if we specifically point out the ones who are at fault, not grouping all people together. The only thing that accomplishes is hurting even more people undeserving of it.

Rmagnus

Banned
Shitty people are everywhere, you would seriously have to stop buying anything if that is how you express your protest. Only thing that stops assholes from gettin a free pass is speaking out about it and being vigilant if you observe such a thing.
But please make a concious effort to differentiate between the statistical inevitability that there are rotten people at any big company and the vast majority of employees who are good people. Don't throw all of them under the bus over such incidents. Target the individuals who committed these travesties.

Like the incident the reporter tweeted... immediately get that dudes name and make it known who specifically it was. Saying "a dev at Naughty Dog" people will read as "devs at Naughty Dog".
We can only stop this if we specifically point out the ones who are at fault, not grouping all people together. The only thing that accomplishes is hurting even more people undeserving of it.

Because as a studio that's progressive you should be held to a higher standard. People will pay more attention than some random name. And fuck that just cause shit ppl are everywhere means naughty dog gets a free pass. The only time these ppl will learn is when it impacts their pockets. Stop siding with naughty dogs just cause they make good games ffs

takriel

Putting video games over people's well-being is incredibly egoistic and narrow-minded.

Wink

They can keep TLOU2 if they have no intention on correcting this shit.

How do you get the idea that they have no intention of correcting this?
This is exactly the kind of reaction that puts people into boxes and splits them in camps instead of getting everyone who is against this sort of harrassment on the same page about speaking out about it.

Do I need to be afraid now that if I observe such behavior in my company by one asshole coworker and make it public that I destroy the livelihood of my other coworkers and my own because people will turn against the company?
We need to be smarter than this and act with compassion to everyone(!) who is affected by these assholes, including those who happen to have to share a workplace with them. Weed out the spoils, don't torch the fucking fields.

Wink

Because as a studio that's progressive you should be held to a higher standard. People will pay more attention than some random name. And fuck that just cause shit ppl are everywhere means naughty dog gets a free pass. The only time these ppl will learn is when it impacts their pockets. Stop siding with naughty dogs just cause they make good games ffs

I don't say don't mention the workplace. I mean to implore people to make a more concious effort that this, let's call it movement, targets the individuals who a) commit this behavior and b) those in power doing nothing about it. Also c) people who observe it must be encouraged and guaranteed safety when speaking up about it, not discouraged by backlash that might effect them negatively.
"A dev" is not a sufficient descriptor for a conversation this important.

I don't give a shit about ND's games in this context ffs, I give a shit about hundreds of people who may suffer from this shit that had nothing to do with it because aome of you will just see a big faceless company and the backlash only effecting management. That's ridiculous. "They" are not the first ones losing their jobs, the lower employees are. Stop being so naive... ffs (for emphasize)

Rmagnus

Banned
How do you get the idea that they have no intention of correcting this?
This is exactly the kind of reaction that puts people into boxes and splits them in camps instead of getting everyone who is against this sort of harrassment on the same page about speaking out about it.

Do I need to be afraid now that if I observe such behavior in my company by one asshole coworker and make it public that I destroy the livelihood of my other coworkers and my own because people will turn against the company?
We need to be smarter than this and act with compassion to everyone(!) who is affected by these assholes, including those who happen to have to share a workplace with them. Weed out the spoils, don't torch the fucking fields.

You must be working for the LAPD or some shit

Top Bottom