• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro CS:GO Player Banned for VAC at 15 Years old

HariKari

It's really hard to get into CS:GO when many of the "pros" have gifs of them snapping to guys through walls and whatnot. It's a comically widespread problem.

artsi

This is dumb. Did he cheat in a competition? No, then fuck off.

This ain't anywhere close to, say, using stimulants in other sports during training to get an edge in a competition. Anything cheating related that is separated from the tournament or competition "canon" should not matter.

Ban me from pro fighting game tournaments for using cheat codes in MK on Genesis if old.

Yeah he didn’t even cheat, what he did was equivalent of a NCAA player entering an amateur division game.

A slap on the wrist should be enough.

Duxxy3

So he is 18 now, but he was 15 when he received the ban.

People get a clean slate when they hit 18, when they become adults. Why isn't that the case here as well?

TrounceX

I got VAC banned for logging into my account in a high school class where we built CS maps and such. Still no idea why.

ae6TCNk.png

I guess this means I'm disqualified from competing in CS:GO forever. Good to know!

DorkyMohr

Banned
As far as “the investigation was shady” wtf is that supposed to mean? VAC bans don’t go to trial, and they’re specifically designed to make the cheater unware of what triggered it.

There was reports of VAC bans finding their way from alt accounts to main accounts but those are specifically when hacks were use. So no I don’t really buy that he was VAC banned for smurfing. You only get a game ban in those cases.

Huggy

That tournament rule is dumb.
Cheating sucks, but some people deserve a second chance.
If he got where he is now, than he must have worked extra hard to get there because cheating makes you worse at the game, not better.

Duffk1ng

I got VAC banned for logging into my account in a high school class where we built CS maps and such. Still no idea why.

ae6TCNk.png

I guess this means I'm disqualified from competing in CS:GO forever. Good to know!

How do you know that? VAC bans aren't delivered at the moment they decide you've done something ban worthy, they're delivered on a delay ranging from several hours to months. One thing is for sure with a VAC ban, and that it's that you weren't banned for whatever you were doing at the moment you got banned.

Z O N E

"Since VAC-banned players are not able to participate in WESG"

He was knowingly participating in WESG while hiding the fact he has been VAC-banned previously. He got caught, period.

I got you. (didn't know myself)

I don't know what ELO is, but I don't care enough to google that, too.

Thanks.

It seems as though there’s a lot of righteous jerkoffs in this thread who don’t understand that documenting the answer to a common question is better than telling someone to google it over and over.

I also don’t understand how creating an alt account is against the rules.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Already lots of people riding into the topic on their high horses.

This punishment is bullshit. It would be like some football player pissing hot his sophomore year of college, and consequently being banned for life from the NFL as a result.

I'd have no problem with that.

Crono27

ae6TCNk.png

Vac is a delay ban. It doesn't ban you automatically. Also in order for it to register you as someone cheating, something had to be run to open up cs.

hobozero

It's been eight years, Valve. People get out of jail for violent felonies faster than this. Is there never going to be an amnesty or relief for single-instance accounts in good standing for decades afterwards?

Goes without saying I feel real bad for the kid listed in the OP.

Pro sports have traditionally dropped lifetime bans on people who have cheated, gambled, etc.

38178.jpg
1966-Topps-Baseball-Pete-Rose-213x300.jpg

You could argue that a pro ball player might not lose his MLB job over somethng he did in little league - but esports don't really have "little league", so the line is blurry.

I think its a shame, but if esports want to be taken seriously and continue to grow, gotta no tolerance cheating, drugs, etc. (gambling is fine, gotta sell those loot boxes).

This is stupid honestly. You can't hold someone to something someone did as a kid.

When I was 13 or 14 me and my friends use to go explore abandoned buildings in rural areas. One day a cop came and brought us to the police station because it's technically a b&e because someone owned the building/land. Basically gave us a warning by scaring it in to us not to do it anymore + called our parents.

Now, as an adult, should I have a break & entering charge on my criminal record?

Thanks.

It seems as though there’s a lot of righteous jerkoffs in this thread who don’t understand that documenting the answer to a common question is better than telling someone to google it over and over.

I also don’t understand how creating an alt account is against the rules.
He created an alt account and used cheats on it...allegedly.

CookTrain

How do you receive an Valve Anti-Cheat System? The way op uses the word doesn't make sense and is obviously confusing.

I believe it's shorthand for VAC-ban. Although that doesn't make straight grammatical sense either. Eh, just roll with it I guess :p

PSqueak

Banned
Title is misleading, i thought it mean a current pro player who happened to be 15 got a vac just now.

Turns out it was a long time pro player who got a vac back when they were 15.

adversarial

Some bullshit - when esports rules are more stringent than actual sports? Fuck out of here. Not to mention, it was when he was 15 years old, not even current.

TrounceX

Vac is a delay ban. It doesn't ban you automatically. Also in order for it to register you as someone cheating, something had to be run to open up cs.

I have never played CS or any other Valve game except in that class. I don't even own the game.

jrcbandit

15 years old is easily old enough to realize your actions have long term consequences, it's only 3 years later lol. If he was actually cheating with aimbot or wall hacks, good for the lifetime ban. But I don't see the big deal of Smurf account, isn't that just someone using a second steam account to play a fresh game so you are playing with newbs?

Already lots of people riding into the topic on their high horses.

This punishment is bullshit. It would be like some football player pissing hot his sophomore year of college, and consequently being banned for life from the NFL as a result.

Given that college scouts attend those games and make offers to the players based on their performances, I wouldn't necessarily say such a ban is unfair when considering those athletes who work for it just as hard and don't cheat.

What if that hypothetical kid took the spot and opportunity from some other kid he wouldn't have otherwise outperformed had he not been juicing?

Just a thought.

15 years old is easily old enough to realize your actions have long term consequences, it's only 3 years later lol. If he was actually cheating with aimbot or wall hacks, good for the lifetime ban. But I don't see the big deal of Smurf account, isn't that just someone using a second steam account to play a fresh game so you are playing with newbs?

I changed the OP to read he was banned ON a smurf account, not for having a smurf account. Hope this makes things more clear.

Crono27

I have never played CS or any other Valve game except in that class. I don't even own the game.

Well you shouldn't have gotten banned then. Unless you joined a game that has vac as their anticheat. It can only catch you, if you joined a server with vac.. So must of been a different game.

FX-GMC

Thanks.

It seems as though there's a lot of righteous jerkoffs in this thread who don't understand that documenting the answer to a common question is better than telling someone to google it over and over.

I also don't understand how creating an alt account is against the rules.

Checkmate. I told him to google it while providing the answer.

No need to derail a thread for a question easily answered by one's own abilities.

Appreciate the name calling. Good form.

Pro sports have traditionally dropped lifetime bans on people who have cheated, gambled, etc.

38178.jpg
1966-Topps-Baseball-Pete-Rose-213x300.jpg

You could argue that a pro ball player might not lose his MLB job over somethng he did in little league - but esports don't really have "little league", so the line is blurry.

I think its a shame, but if esports want to be taken seriously and continue to grow, gotta no tolerance cheating, drugs, etc. (gambling is fine, gotta sell those loot boxes).
I don't think citing Shoeless Joe Jackson helps make your point. He was acquitted in a criminal trial and banned on the basis of one, shitty commissioner.

Anyways, you think gambling on the sport they are involved in, and potentially manipulating the results because of that gambling is similar to anything in this situation?

Also, two lifetime bans in a sport that existed professionally in the 1870s isn't really making your case either.

Nothing in this CS:GO situation evokes professional sports where the money and public attention are magnitudes greater.

The rule seems arbitrary, not well thought out and is exposed when dealing with cases like this.

Once a cheater always a cheater.

If people who threw a meaningless match get permabanned then cheating should always be a permaban.

I think a lifetime ban is silly even if someone cheats during an actual professional event. Ban them for a year or two. If they do it again, ban them for five (which is pretty much a lifetime ban given the shelf life of pro gamers). Permanently banning someone retroactively for something they did outside of competitive play years ago is absurd. Who exactly was harmed by his actions? Did they impact ANYTHING in regards to an actual sanctioned professional competition? It's mandatory minimum sentencing run amok and it is the death of rational thought. I mean, I hate cheaters, and I don't understand why someone would do it (and 15 is old enough to know better regardless of professional aspirations). But I don't understand the mindset of brandishing someone with a scarlet letter permanently for a relatively innocuous thing. It's not like he killed someone, you know?

Jawmuncher

That seems really odd. Different account, was years ago. Like this seems like a big stretch to me. To me this is like banning a player from a sport for smoking weed in high school.
Now if he was cheating when he is part of a team now on his actual account or cheating during some sort of tournament. Then yeah no mercy. But that isn't the case here.

Checkmate. I told him to google it while providing the answer.

No need to derail a thread for a question easily answered by one's own abilities.

Appreciate the name calling. Good form.

Haha. You sure did. Aren’t you just the sweetest.

Although if he looked it up then the answer would not have been documented, eh? So how about documenting the answer and being a little more cordial about it next time?

What do you say?

Spman2099

Hard stuff for someone who knows how to use the internet.

AWvcSZV.png

Absolutely!

I always try to include something that will force people to do google searches when I write. Because you know what? Clarity in writing is a crutch. Endless, impenetrable abbreviations are the future, yo.

Expecting others to convey their messages intelligibly is for the weak!

Heartfyre

Good sportsmanship is drilled into kids at an early age, no matter what sports or games a kid is presented with in school. A fifteen year old has no excuse.

TrounceX

Well you shouldn't have gotten banned then. Unless you joined a game that has vac as their anticheat. It can only catch you, if you joined a server with vac.. So must of been a different game.

My only thought is whatever version of Steam was running on those PC's was messed with somehow. I remember we had more than just CS installed, there was Red Orchestra and some other ones... I thought it was weird that all 20ish PC's had a bunch of games already installed and that it worked. We would LAN every day in class. This was over 10 years ago so I don't remember many details.

But like I said, I don't actually own or play CS or any Valve games. I've used that account for 10 years and never been inconvenienced by the ban.

LordRaptor

So Smurf account= Hustling? Like you pretend not to know what pool is, then run the table?

Its just another account; the way most matchmaking works is it takes hundreds of not thousands of matches to calculate a numerical value for where your skill level 'should' be, and 'perfect' matchmaking is such that you are about 50-50 win/lose (because playing opponents at your skill level, you'd expect to win as many as you lose).

What some people do is create a new account, so - basically - they can curbstomp newbies and rise through the ranks rapidly, before the system can calculate accurately where they 'should' be.
I mean, there are plenty of legit reasons why you might have a second account, but its doing that that gives "smurfing" a bad name, because getting curbstomped by someone vastly better than you at a game isn't much fun for anyone except that one player, even their teammates who become basically superfluous.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Nah, fuck that line of logic, this isn't an action that did significant harm to others, nor damaged the competitive integrity of the sport. This is petty revenge being perpetrated by people power tripping, who are now trying to ruin a kids future in a field that is already extremely risky. While kids are responsible for their actions, not all actions can be treated the same way. Doing so is like trying to treat a kid caught with weed the same way as a kid who murdered a classmate.

CookTrain

Conversely, you've taken away someone's source of income based on something they did 3 years ago and is irrelevant to the actual current competition.

Conversely, they're taking up a slot for someone else to make a source of income who didn't cheat. So hey ho.

Exactly. So why can't we forgive his transgression instead of getting this "once a cheater, always a cheater" mentality?

Because it doesn't just affect the cheater. Why should they be free to act with impunity when people who stuck it out honestly get left out in the cold? Much like major sports, it sets an abysmal example for people to follow. Don't worry about taking shortcuts, it'll blow over and you can get right back to it.

DorkyMohr

Banned
I changed the OP to read he was banned ON a smurf account, not for having a smurf account. Hope this makes things more clear.

This checks out then. VAC bans are meant to be a ban on that person, not that account. He cheated on one account thereby all his accounts are at risk.

JambiBum

I like how people are like well "people cheat in so and so event and get away with it so why shouldn't this kid". How about instead of just accepting the fact that people cheat and get away with it, you hold people accountable like what is being done here? Sucks for him that he's banned but maybe he shouldn't have cheated in the first place.

FX-GMC

Haha. You sure did. Aren't you just the sweetest.

Although if he looked it up then the answer would not have been documented, eh? So how about documenting the answer and being a little more cordial about it next time?

What do you say?

You do you and I'll do me. If you still have an issue then feel free to use the ignore button.

Absolutely!

I always try to include something that will force people to do google searches when I write. Because you know what? Clarity in writing is a crutch. Endless, impenetrable abbreviations are the future, yo.

Expecting others to convey their messages intelligibly is for the weak!

It's not a matter of everyone telling one person to go look up a term. It's that there isn't just a single person who wouldn't know what VAC means, so when writing posts you should try to elaborate on terms that people might not understand (if it's the author's intention to let anyone read it). If ten people came in here asking wondering what VAC was, would you ask them all to go look it up? Or would it be better to have one person answer the question here?

Sounds like your complaints would be better addressed to the OP.

Top Bottom