• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

papluh

looks like leak from the printing supplier, the paper is not yet formed into boxes
That would make it final look.

To be honest, I'm kind of underwhelmed by the figs. Besides the little robot, I don't see there anything that would catch my attention... maybe some helmets, but thats it :(

Boogiepop

Okay, so could I get some thoughts here: Looking at the possibility of bricklinking Town Hall, and the most immediate issue is definitely the dark orange bricks, since they're not all that cheap and there are a lot of them. I'd be open for hearing other substitutions, but do you guys think a good old reddish-brown sub would work? I was messing with an LDD model and that seemed "closest" (and it doesn't hurt that I'd imagine pieces in that color should be plenty cheap as it's a "common" one, right?) and honestly seems to look pretty good... but an LDD model isn't 1:1 on the real thing, and I wouldn't want to really mess it up.

Also looking to deal with the dark green 1x1x2 little windows, as those aren't super great prices wise and I'm changing colors anyway most likely, and then there are the big white 6x24 flat pieces that are pretty pricey, but that might be unavoidable because they're so big. (The garage doors are also a bit of a pain, but as far as I can tell they're one of those necessary evils as they're so essential to the look, ala the expensive little skis for Cafe Corner. Oh, and same for the tall 2x2x3 slope deals for the top). Any suggestions there?

Edit: Hmm... I could go for transparent light blue instead of pure transparent to shave off a bit on the garage doors, but not sure that's worth it... Actually, is it important that the black part be one with the handle? Because that's like $3 alone, and I'm not sure it wouldn't slide in right without it... (Or maybe bricklink was being weird, looking at it? Why is that part like $1 more from the auto-find cheapest than it is from the apparent average? Hmm)

ghostmind

looks like leak from the printing supplier, the paper is not yet formed into boxes
That would make it final look.

To be honest, I'm kind of underwhelmed by the figs. Besides the little robot, I don't see there anything that would catch my attention... maybe some helmets, but thats it :(

my favorite reaction to that minifig (again SPOILERS):

BB-HATE

Okay, so could I get some thoughts here: Looking at the possibility of bricklinking Town Hall, and the most immediate issue is definitely the dark orange bricks, since they're not all that cheap and there are a lot of them. I'd be open for hearing other substitutions, but do you guys think a good old reddish-brown sub would work? I was messing with an LDD model and that seemed "closest" (and it doesn't hurt that I'd imagine pieces in that color should be plenty cheap as it's a "common" one, right?) and honestly seems to look pretty good... but an LDD model isn't 1:1 on the real thing, and I wouldn't want to really mess it up.

Also looking to deal with the dark green 1x1x2 little windows, as those aren't super great prices wise and I'm changing colors anyway most likely, and then there are the big white 6x24 flat pieces that are pretty pricey, but that might be unavoidable because they're so big. (The garage doors are also a bit of a pain, but as far as I can tell they're one of those necessary evils as they're so essential to the look, ala the expensive little skis for Cafe Corner. Oh, and same for the tall 2x2x3 slope deals for the top). Any suggestions there?

Edit: Hmm... I could go for transparent light blue instead of pure transparent to shave off a bit on the garage doors, but not sure that's worth it... Actually, is it important that the black part be one with the handle? Because that's like $3 alone, and I'm not sure it wouldn't slide in right without it... (Or maybe bricklink was being weird, looking at it? Why is that part like $1 more from the auto-find cheapest than it is from the apparent average? Hmm)

* I wouldn't go with brown, it gets really dull on such a big building. Maybe dark red?
* The 6x24 plates are used for the top floor and they could probably be substituted with 6x12, you just need additional bracing underneath.
* Looking at the instructions, you need the parts with handles because they have knobs in all four corners, unlike the transparent parts which only have them in two, and those are used to lock the thing on the opposite side. But you could use another colour.

ghostmind

Here's an odd parallel - the first LEGO Force Awakens set was leaked on May 26, 2015, and also was from the printer (Kylo Ren's Shuttle manuals).

Coincidence?

Boogiepop

* I wouldn't go with brown, it gets really dull on such a big building. Maybe dark red?
* The 6x24 plates are used for the top floor and they could probably be substituted with 6x12, you just need additional bracing underneath.
* Looking at the instructions, you need the parts with handles because they have knobs in all four corners, unlike the transparent parts which only have them in two, and those are used to lock the thing on the opposite side. But you could use another colour.

Thanks! Dark red actually looks pretty classy on the LDD model. I'll see how much that helps costs...

Edit: Thinking of maybe turning the dark green windows used for the main doors dark blue to save a few bucks, but also not 100% if that looks right...

Either way, think I should at least start looking through what I've got so I can knock that off at least and see where I stand...

Edit x2: Fuuuuu... The 1x2 log things don't come in dark red. Ugggggggh... Now what to do...? Ooof. Even if I accept the plain 1x2s as a replacement, the big 1x8x2 arch isn't available in dark red, and I can't figure out a decent substitution...

Ponn

Banned
Specifically the last three (which are the most expensive):

75176 €39.99
75177 €59.99
75179 €79.99
75187 BB-8 €99.99
75188 Resistance Bomber €109.99
75189 First Order Heavy Assault Walker €139.99
75190 First Order Star Destroyer €149.99

It's interesting they are releasing the Assault Walker and Star Destroyer together again like they released the AT-AT and IST together last time. Not entirely sure I want to buy both of those again even if they look different. The included figs in those sets make a very compelling argument though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That reveal.

WTL4ZlQ.gif

Maybe he's off to bed and that's his nighttime onesie

R-User!

Sets look cool.

The spoilers really don't "spoil" anything in a narrative way, afaict, so those that are apprehensive might be inclined to click.

Also, LEGO does like to do the Red Herring (Edit: Ironman 3: Mandarin's Little Tank)stuff for licensed sets a bit, so I just figure ALL OF IT is a misdirection, that way I can't really feel spoiled...

...besides, you look at a pic right now of a fig, or vehicle, you won't be thinking about that the moment STAR WARS blasts onto the screen anyway: or I highly doubt you would be...

TheFuzz

How can someone saying they're "disappointed in Snoke" be a spoiler?

Edit: NVM, saw the other posts being referenced.

Those sets are dissapointing.

DonShula

Sets look cool.

The spoilers really don't "spoil" anything in a narrative way, afaict, so those that are apprehensive might be inclined to click.

Also, LEGO does like to do the Red Herring (Edit: Ironman 3: Mandarin's Little Tank)stuff for licensed sets a bit, so I just figure ALL OF IT is a misdirection, that way I can't really feel spoiled...

...besides, you look at a pic right now of a fig, or vehicle, you won't be thinking about that the moment STAR WARS blasts onto the screen anyway: or I highly doubt you would be...

Thanks. Going to look now...

Edit: and I really don't feel spoiled. Only three sets. Surely there will be many more, so exclusions of minifigs aren't an issue. A couple new characters in there. And some spoiler-type things that don't give away much considering they have no context.

Snoke could have several forms and this is just one of them...

R-User!

Thanks. Going to look now...

Edit: and I really don't feel spoiled. Only three sets. Surely there will be many more, so exclusions of minifigs aren't an issue. A couple new characters in there. And some spoiler-type things that don't give away much considering they have no context.

Snoke could have several forms and this is just one of them...

Heh, or
he could just like robes a lot because he's a playa like Hugh Hefner!...

ghostmind

Heh, or
he could just like robes a lot because he's a playa like Hugh Hefner!...

In the "Art of the Force Awakens" book, Snoke is wearing gold robes. Now I'm sure the movie will look much better than the LEGO minifig interpretation, but at least it explains why the minifig looks as it does, though LEGO should have used a much more ivory/marble skin tone.

R-User!

In the "Art of the Force Awakens" book, Snoke is wearing gold robes. Now I'm sure the movie will look much better than the LEGO minifig interpretation, but at least it explains why the minifig looks as it does, though LEGO should have used a much more ivory/marble skin tone.

I have seen those pics, and you are right.
Fairly lackluster looking fig based on those blurry shots though.

I have to hold out hope for some "LEGO Cloth", cuz as is, that fig really is drab, plain and unremarkable; based on that pic of course...

Osahi

Not feeling those sets (yet?). Might warm to them offcourse after seeing more of the movie.

And
bbe-8 is a 99 set from the first wave? Thought it was ucs

Osahi

The BB-8 set is apparently to scale with 10225, so quite a bit smaller than R2.
All the better for me! I didn't know it was part of this wave and expexted ut to release on it's own. Probably the only force friday set I'll get, unless there is a very sweet smaller set.
though the bomber and star destroyer might be candidates too.
It's just that I am out of display space and was inclined to go (almost) exclusively ucs from now on

Thanks! Dark red actually looks pretty classy on the LDD model. I'll see how much that helps costs...

Edit: Thinking of maybe turning the dark green windows used for the main doors dark blue to save a few bucks, but also not 100% if that looks right...

Either way, think I should at least start looking through what I've got so I can knock that off at least and see where I stand...

Edit x2: Fuuuuu... The 1x2 log things don't come in dark red. Ugggggggh... Now what to do...? Ooof. Even if I accept the plain 1x2s as a replacement, the big 1x8x2 arch isn't available in dark red, and I can't figure out a decent substitution...

You could get just enough dark orange to make the front of the building and use brown for the rest. If it's standing around other buildings it might not matter.

Randam

Specifically the last three (which are the most expensive):

75176 €39.99
75177 €59.99
75179 €79.99
75187 BB-8 €99.99
75188 Resistance Bomber €109.99
75189 First Order Heavy Assault Walker €139.99
75190 First Order Star Destroyer €149.99

so the Walker and the SD are smaller, than the last ones!?

R-User!

The BB-8 set is apparently to scale with 10225, so quite a bit smaller than R2.

Are you talking about a "UCS" BB-8?

Will this be a thing?

If so, I'll say he's also gonna be like R2, and cost $179.99 as a guess due to 2017 pricing.

Edit: Didn't know it would be part of the next wave. I take back the $180 remark. At $99.00, that will be a great price for BB-8 to move.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ooh I like this easy mode Lego (Saturn V) where you do a small bag for each set of steps. Nice and relaxing - and less to tidy up when the dining table is needed for dinner..

DonShula

Ponn

Banned

Ugh. The previous IST wasn't very pretty when open but that is downright fugly. I never use that type of feature anyways so it ultimately doesn't matter but I'm just saying.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Saturn v is so, *so* good. Just finished stage 1 and onto the scaffolding for stage 2. It's just bloody beautiful. And the building is a masterclass in positioning blocks wherever they want in 3D space. It feels like a potentially big step forward in building techniques

One question though - does the top of the stage stay open? Would have expected the top to be covered if you're displaying in 'exploded' view'

Lordy did the Town Hall take me forever to build. Looks amazing though. Second fave modular after Parisian Restaurant so far that I own. Palace Cinema next!

Top Bottom