• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us - Buy 2 Get 1 free game sale (October 11th-17th)

Wario64 said:
I got away with the placeholder trick very easy last year. I bought my games and asked for a gift receipt, they had to re-ring the transaction again in order for them to produce a gift receipt, but somehow they left my free game out of the transaction completely. I think they only re-rang the transaction to make it less of a hassle for me to go to customer service and get one or something. But for anyone that wants to try it, buy the games and ask for a gift receipt afterwards. They probably won't give you one during the transaction since we're not that close to the holidays yet.

Sunnyvale gave me a ton of grief the two times I went three, but Winchester seemed to be pretty easy. However, ever year it just seems to get harder and harder to do placeholders.

Awesome. I held onto my $30 Batman card waiting for this deal. Gonna get U2, Demon's Souls and maybe Fallout 3 GOTY.

Does anyone know how long one can keep a sealed game and still be able to return it? Maybe I'll get a placeholder for MW2...

daycru

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Awesome. I held onto my $30 Batman card waiting for this deal. Gonna get U2, Demon's Souls and maybe Fallout 3 GOTY.

Does anyone know how long one can keep a sealed game and still be able to return it? Maybe I'll get a placeholder for MW2...
30 days

dralla

wow, what a good time. what are the chances they'll have UC2 on launch day? will they even carry Demon Souls, ehh. I'll check it out but I won't get my hopes up.

I'm thinking UC2 and Demon Souls than trade in the free game for Ratchet

Concept17

I imagine they do, but does Gamestop allow you to change pre-order money from say UC2, which came with preorder codes....to another game?

JudgeN

Fuck me, I already pre-order/paid off Uncharted 2 and NGS2 at gamestop. I could have had a free game FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK :lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
JudgeN said:
Fuck me, I already pre-order/paid off Uncharted 2 and NGS2 at gamestop. I could have had a free game FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK :lol

cant u just cancel them? and if u cant how have u not heard of the annual tru b2g1 sale :lol

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
JudgeN said:

You could always cancel the pre-orders.

Barrett2

JudgeN said:

Can someone explain the rationale behind pre-ordering games? This has got to be the biggest farce in the history of mankind. What exactly is the point?

So glad I held off on ODST (I canceled the order the day before it shipped).

$40 is perfect considering the broken lack of matchmaking.

Will probably grab Halo, Batman, and probably NBA 2k (which I'll probably keep sealed and trade for Tekken/Forza).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
lawblob said:
Can someone explain the rationale behind pre-ordering games? This has got to be the biggest farce in the history of mankind. What exactly is the point?

Not everyone has a BB/Walmart close to them. And GS usually doesn't have enough copies available on day one(big games anyway). Or reserving for midnight launch.

JudgeN

allegate said:
pick it up anyway at TRU and take the unopened copy to GS.

We might have a winner here, I know I have my NGS2 receipt.

lawblob said:

Actually I traded in a about 9 old games during there "2 games an extra 20%, 4 games extra 30%, 6 games extra %40 trade in" deal so I ended up with about $160 (6 of the games were old PS2 stuff) so I paid NGS2/UC2/Disgaea 2 PSP off. Normally I don't pre-order though because stores like giving out gift cards with games.

GK86 said:
Not everyone has a BB/Walmart close to them. And GS usually doesn't have enough copies available on day one(big games anyway). Or reserving for midnight launch.
Or for games that arent in high demand. Lord knows I would have had to drive around for a few atlus games had I not preordered. Outside of preorder bonuses, there isnt much point in it for big name titles, unless you want to pay it off little by little.

AniHawk

I tried to do a straight-up exchange for another game for this deal five years ago. If you ask for gift receipts, won't it just average the price for each game?

If I could, I'd like to make a Boy and His Blob, NSMB, Silent Hill (free!) combo.

Use $10 from Batman on Zelda.

switch my ABAHB gamestop reso to Bayonetta or something.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK YEAH!

Uncharted 2
Brutal Legend (360)
Little Big Planet GOTY

Let's just hope Toys R Us gets the first two in on time. I almost missed on Dead Space last year because they got it late.

Hell if I hadn't just quit my job I'd get like 12 games this year.

Chris R

Might have to consider buying a few things from here seeing as how Amazon has gone on my shit list for awhile (I'd love for them to explain why the fuck it takes 1 week to put 1 video game in a box and ship it :lol ). Might get me Uncharted 2 and GTPSP with 1 more PSP game.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Uncharted 2 + Brutal Legend (360) + either Beatles Rock Band or a placeholder for Borderlands for sure.

If I can scrape up some extra money, I may try to do another set of $50 games and get Katamari Forever + Muramasa + Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Barrett2

abstract alien said:
Or for games that arent in high demand. Lord knows I would have had to drive around for a few atlus games had I not preordered. Outside of preorder bonuses, there isnt much point in it for big name titles, unless you want to pay it off little by little.

I guess that makes sense, pre-order a hard to find game.

SlickVic

If I didn't have an Amazon gift card for Uncharted 2, I would be real tempted to get LBP, inFamous, and Uncharted 2 off this. Ah well, I was waiting to get the other 2 when they hit $30 anyways so I guess I might as well save the cash...for now.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Sweet! I've been holding off on buying some things in anticipation of this sale.

Going to hopefully be able to get:

Uncharted 2, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Katamari Forever, Infamous, Demon's Souls, and Ratchet & Clank ACIT (via exchange).

Sho_Nuff82 said:
So glad I held off on ODST (I canceled the order the day before it shipped).

$40 is perfect considering the broken lack of matchmaking.

Will probably grab Halo, Batman, and probably NBA 2k (which I'll probably keep sealed and trade for Tekken/Forza).
They were giving out a $20 gift card and a worthless action figure with ODST all last week. There's no real difference between this and that, aside from lacking said worthless chunk of plastic.

Anyways, this is the week Magna Carta 2 comes out too. Whoo!

Firestorm

lawblob said:
You can return it or cancel if you don't feel like picking it up. Much higher chance of getting it on the first day. Many promotions like free gifts or being able to trade it in for the price you bought within 1 week (aka free 7 day rental). Don't see why you wouldn't if you're going to pay full price for the game on day 1 anyway like lots of people seem to.

mm04

So tempted to do this again. Have done it the last 2 years, but I'm signing escrow papers today and I can't justify buying video games hah. It's easy as pie to do. One year I returned one of my placeholder games and got a gift card in return and used it to buy and out of window game (Uncharted), a month later.

Oreoleo

JustHadToJoin said:
I guess to get the most out of this deal, you should get three new games? Gah being poor sucks

If you're strapped for cash you can turn this into a nice "Buy one get one 50% off" if you've got any friends itching to buy a game.

vazel

Banned
Will this sell out within an hour online? I don't want to wait buying Afrika if it's going to be one of those race to place your order bullshits.

Edit: They don't have Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 online. And Demon's Souls isn't online, I know it's not released yet but they have other games for pre-order like MAG.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
To those of you who plan on trying the return trick: Make sure you know how your TRU will handle it. All the locations around me will only honor a return within the sale peroid and only with all three games present. Just trying to avoid posts with "I bought a placeholder and TRU wouldn't let me exchange it! Now I'm stuck with a copy of Barbie Horse Avdentures! D:"

So the placeholder thing, how shady is that? Do I need to make up an excuse or something, or should I just tell them I changed my mind? Will they hassle me if they know it was a buy 2 get 1 free thing? Seems like they wouldn't care, since the sale is for all the games, right?

RBH

Jive Turkey said:
To those of you who plan on trying the return trick: Make sure you know how your TRU will handle it. All the locations around me will only honor a return within the sale peroid and only with all three games present. Just trying to avoid posts with "I bought a placeholder and TRU wouldn't let me exchange it! Now I'm stuck with a copy of Barbie Horse Avdentures! D:"
This.

The placeholder return trick should be considered YMMV. It comes down to your individual store and how they'll probably deal with it. Some people will be lucky while most will not.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
UnluckyKate said:
DO they sell online ? I want this offer !
They do but if I remember correctly the shipping nearly cancels out the deal (at least it did with my girlfriend's DS set a couple years ago).

GQman2121

Banned
Does anyone know if TRU offers comparable trade-in value to GS? I know they just started a trade-in program, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet.

Jive Turkey said:
They do but if I remember correctly the shipping nearly cancels out the deal (at least it did with my girlfriend's DS set a couple years ago).

Hum... Any chance of delivery outside US ? Even if I pay hard price ?

Top Bottom