• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only Xbox One X will download the 4K assets.

Gamezone

Gold Member
LOL. I rarely download things over 2GB, and they expect me to download a 100GB game? I could probably walk to my nearest store, walk back, play the game, beat it, take a nap, and my download still wouldn't be done at 100GB.

Walk to the store, walk back, put the disc in the tray, only to notice that you have to download another 50 GB, as the disc capability is 50 GB.

Cmon ms your allegedly good at os's and stuff - add a system setting as a toggle for downloading 4k texture/asset packs and enforce usage by devs. This goes for sony as well.
Some of us are good with standard ps4/xbox one assets and checkerboard/native 4k for 4k tvs or downsampled to 1080p for 1080p tvs if you have one. Thsts exactly whst I get from my ps4 pro and I love it.

KageMaru

This is how it's done on with PC versions, so it makes sense.

This doesn't really help the situation though? If you've got an Xbox One X and a non 4K TV then you're still going to be downloading 4K assets?

Even on a 1080p screen the higher quality assets would still look better.

I would hope so, otherwise downsampling isn't possible.

Texture resolution is independent of screen resolution, so downsampling would still be possible without the higher quality textures.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I wonder how this thread will get spun ?

Luckily I don't have bum Internet so I welcome our true 4K overloads with open arms

image.png

Does this mean that for every physical game you want to play on your Xbox One X, you will have to install the game, then download the 4k assets, before you can play anything better than the regular Xbox One version of the game?

Physical Purchases of games are going to take up a lot of time before you can play it the way it was intended.

MarkusRJR

Fuck off Microsoft with these huge patches. I only have a 200gb cap on my Internet. For some of your games I literally had to stop watching YouTube and Netflix for a month because a game updated itself.

I buy my games physically for a reason...

Gamezone

Gold Member
Does this mean that for every physical game you want to play on your Xbox One X, you will have to install the game, then download the 4k assets, before you can play anything better than the regular Xbox One version of the game?

Physical Purchases of games are going to take up a lot of time before you can play it the way it was intended.

That's probably what MS expects from the "premium gamer".

It probably won't I imagine the XBOX owners will have to download the 4K assets extra.

Shit show, to be honest. But, expected. Should we expect to download 50GB+ of assets if we go physical? What a weird generation that would be.

They should really adapt 100GB Blu-ray discs especially since Xbox One S and Xbox One X both have 4K Blu-ray player. Alas, OG Xbox One will hold them back.

rokkerkory

Fuck off Microsoft with these huge patches. I only have a 200gb cap on my Internet. For some of your games I literally had to stop watching YouTube and Netflix for a month because a game updated itself.

You think this is only MS? Lol

JaffeLion

Banned
Sounds like it. Didn't MS already say it would do downsampling on a system-level, so if you do have a 1080p TV, you're still seeing the benefit of the nicer textures?

I know this sounds dumb - but I'm going to go ahead and say if you don't want 4K content, you probably don't need an Xbox One X.

lol this does not make sense. downsampling looks so good, so there is a huge benefit for 1080p owners with this.

This doesn't really help the situation though? If you've got an Xbox One X and a non 4K TV then you're still going to be downloading 4K assets?

I don't think you thought your statement through very well.

Arttemis statement isn't wrong however BigTnaples.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
A) you'll need those assets for downsampling

B) if you're not interested in 4K or a superior downsampled image....why are you getting an X?
This.

And people really will find a way to complain about anything.

I wonder how this thread will get spun ?

Luckily I don't have bum Internet so I welcome our true 4K overloads with open arms

First mention of spin I've seen in this thread regarding this information is your post.
Is there a particular direction you would like to see it spun into?
You seem kind of concerned with the issue.

Norse

Are people really complaining about this? We d/l a shit ton of free d/ls each month from games with gold but that's ok!? Some of you guys really need to experience pc gaming so you can wrap your head around the fact that you need to d/l assets to make your game produce those prettier graphics. I mean how else is the 1X or Pro supposed to get the hi-res textures? Did you think they were magically created on the fly?

Night.Ninja

Banned

You need to sort your bum Internet out, it's 2017

Hold a March or something like that

Data caps
image914bc.png

These internet corporations holding people hostage but you to complain at people giving you the content smh

First mention of spin I've seen in this thread regarding this information is your post.

Fall back

RedRum

Banned
Are people really complaining about this? We d/l a shit ton of free d/ls each month from games with gold but that's ok!? Some of you guys really need to experience pc gaming so you can wrap your head around the fact that you need to d/l assets to make your game produce those prettier graphics. I mean how else is the 1X or Pro supposed to get the hi-res textures? Did you think they were magically created on the fly?

There is no reason digital downloaders should be bitching. You know this is going to happen. As for the disc peeps, I think they're complaining because they want ALL the download to come from the disc. Someone mentioned using large storage Blu-Ray discs but I bet if MS started using them and the price jumped up to use those discs, there would be complaining too.

Klocker

Data caps
image914bc.png

These internet corporations holding people hostage but you to complain at people giving you the content smh

Fall back
Exactly. the outrage is misdirected. Boycott those greedy Internet capping bastards.

E. Spelling

Fisty

Now the question is when will disc owners be able to download these assets? Would suck if you have to download them after buying the game, digital would be the way to go since preloading would solve that. I dont see them packing in extra discs for games when only 10-20% of people will even be able to use them

MrBS

Mate am I glad xbone games consistently go up a month before release for preload because this is going to take forever on my peasant internet.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
For those complaining about 4K assets, this is what it means to have a fully 4K machine. Your looking at the future of gaming with the Xbox One X. Sizes of games are only going to get bigger.

I get being annoyed that Xbox One X is limited by BR sizes, thus making 50+GB downloads mandatory, but there's nothing to be done about that for now, its not worth printing UHDBR discs over.

I only hope Sony or whoever the heck comes up with this stuff that they have a plan beyond 100GB BR, cause my internet is the shittiest thing in the world

Outrun

It is not a negative thing, that much is for sure...

Understanding the limits of mainstream physical media containers, as well as the size of 4k assets, is it really a surprise that MS has opted for this solution?

Izuna

Banned
For those complaining about 4K assets, this is what it means to have a fully 4K machine. Your looking at the future of gaming with the Xbox One X. Sizes of games are only going to get bigger.

I get being annoyed that Xbox One X is limited by BR sizes, thus making 50+GB downloads mandatory, but there's nothing to be done about that.

I only hope Sony or whoever the heck comes up with this stuff that they have a plan beyond 100GB BR, cause my internet is the shittiest thing in the world

50GB textures?

--

Just so we are aware, it's less to do with space requirements and 4K being necessary but what you can put in the VRAM

I'm always impressed by what people will complain about. :)

50GB textures?

Don't discount the quality of the audio. Forza always seem to do an amazing job in the audio department, and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they are taking things to a whole other level for this game. Likely sporting Dolby Atmos support too.

It is not a negative thing, that much is for sure...

Understanding the limits of mainstream physical media containers, as well as the size of 4k assets, is it really a surprise that MS has opted for this solution?

High quality assets themselves arent a negative at all. Its a negative if they make it mandatory for xbox one x owners. Make high quality asset packs optional and mandatory for devs to make them optional.
Problem solved.

Fredrik

Probably already said but super sampling makes you want access to the full 4K experience even if you only have a 1080p TV.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
50GB textures?

Forza 7 is 100GB, so who knows...

But i meant games would by default would go beyond 50GB in terms of downloading from XBL, and XB1X games in physical medium by default would need more downloading for the full experience(i'm assuming they let you play the game without downloading any 4K assets on XB1X)

”With the launch of Xbox One X, when it comes to game content our intention is to download the correct assets to the correct console," a Microsoft representative told Stevivor, steering away from Forza 7 specifically.

Intention?

As in, this feature is not yet complete? What's he saying?

This was known since e3, I think even before e3, but it's good to have a quote people can now link to. As for the people complaining about storage I just don't understand. I mean getting mad at Microsoft because you don't have good internet is just weird to me. I agree it's sucks that depending on where people live they may not get to experience the latest and greatest, but your fight is with them and not Microsoft, Sony or whoever is supplying the content. Data Caps are bullshit and paying top dollar for DSL equivalent speed should be illegal. Put your anger towards Comcast or Time Warner or whoever you have

They will probably give you 2 disks in the box. No way will they force people to download 50 GB of assets if you buy the box. For digital purchases, you know what you are getting into.

DoomGyver

Press the second disc, stop being cheap. There are two reasons to buy physical, first it's always cheaper, secondly so I don't have to download the goddamn game. Put the 4k assets on a second disc. Do it. For your consumers.

Press the second disc, stop being cheap. There are two reasons to buy physical, first it's always cheaper, secondly so I don't have to download the goddamn game. Put the 4k assets on a second disc. Do it. For your consumers.

And what if ends up making your game an extra $10 more expensive?

MarkusRJR

Data caps
image914bc.png

Fall back
Where in my post does it say I'm not infuriated with the internet monopoly where I live?

I'm just saying it's obnoxious to be pushed 50gb+ patches for lots of retail releases, most of which are MS published. I don't own a PS4 so the only frame of reference is PC and Nintendo platforms, where I don't often (or ever) have these issues. It's the same sort of bullshit that pissed off people with the "always online" shenanigans. If I was in a rural area I'd never be able to update hardly any of my first party games. It's a legit problem for a lot of people.

When I buy my games physically I shouldn't expect patches that are 50gb+ especially when that's never been the case except for this generation.

Top Bottom