• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Activations disappear when changing graphics cards [Ubi Responds, Is Snarky]

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Buy the game: after 3 hardware upgrades, you can no longer play it.

Pirate the game: happy gaming!

Ubisoft: incentivising piracy, just because we can!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
this can't be true. Activations are always reverted when you uninstall the game.

What kind of magical fairy land do you live in?

There are *many* games that don't revoke authentications on uninstall. Many of which require a phone call to their support group to free up an install.

Crysis for example.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
What kind of magical fairy land do you live in?

There are *many* games that don't revoke authentications on uninstall. Many of which require a phone call to their support group to free up an install.

Crysis for example.

lol, in my magical fairy land Crysis supports unlimited number of activations. May be it's limited for somebody but not for me. First time I hear about this.

it's only a matter of time when EA does shit like this. I mean they removed some weapons which people bought in BF: play4free and didn't offer any refunds.

They did do shit like this. Remember the old Origin with the extended download service and lifetime download limit?

inky

What the fuck?

Is there some "put out the worst DRM" competition between shitty PC devs we're missing?

Well, Ubisoft is clearly winning. Now let's all go out and buy Assassin's Creed Whatever to celebrate and put as many screenies in the high res screenshot thread as we possibly can. Yay.

Only a pirate will change graphic cards that often with all the money they save on not buying games.

Your logic is... sound? Mind is blown.

Anyone else getting in the habit of dling no dvd exes for games you purchased not on steam?

I do it for pretty much all ubisoft and GFWL stuff (been hearing arkham city erases your saves. good times!).

Card Boy

Banned
What all these devs including Ubisoft don't realise, is once again the legimate buying consumer is getting punished.

Sober

Linking your forum privileges to your game access privileges is pretty bad..
Well, you can always not post on official forums because that's always a bad idea but upgrading your PC and then later trying the game again on higher settings and everything ...

Only a pirate will change graphic cards that often with all the money they save on not buying games.
Or people doing benchmarking.
clearly all dirty pirates

Murkas

Makes sense, they're targeting the pirates who are not only pirating their games but also pirate new graphics cards.

Well, you can always not post on official forums because that's always a bad idea but upgrading your PC and then later trying the game again on higher settings and everything ...

Well they're both ridiculous policies and ultimately which is more detrimental to the end user also depends on what type of person the end user is. I've been banned from the 2K sports forums before for pointing out how neglected their PC patches (timeline wise) were for NBA 2K10 compared to the console counterpart (my post was deleted by CM/ no I didn't call them morons or use abusive language). I've also swapped my GPU within the last 2 years (which a lot of PC gamers do as well).

trinest

People still buy Ubi PC titles?

I played the demo of Anno 2070 (which was pretty much the three 4 minute quick basic tutorial missions) and sort of liked it. But also keep in mind Anno 2070 is only on the PC.

I never ended up getting the final title though.

If I already payed for the game and Ubi has my money but I got this shit I will pirate/crack it in a heartbeat.

Good thing I don't buy games from garbage publishers.

Blizzard

Banned
lol, in my magical fairy land Crysis supports unlimited number of activations. May be it's limited for somebody but not for me. First time I hear about this.
This may be the case now (not sure about the Steam version of Crysis 1), but I'm nearly POSITIVE that it happened to Stallion Free, who posted in this very thread. I believe he mentioned that he had to call EA support once or twice to get an extra install permit. He may have also mentioned that it was finally patched to fix that, but I don't remember for sure.

I believe EA games have a revoke tool you can use...I'm not aware of any revoke tools for Ubi games....Can anyone with Anno 2070 verify?

Another problem I have with publisher DRM is that unlike a handful of companies like Steam and GoG, none of these publishers are ever consistent with their DRM policies. EA for example has gone from x number of activations to x number of activations with a revoke tool, to DRM free (DA:O and ME2 base game) with DRM'd DLC to whatever the hell Origin uses now. It's not consistent/almost on a title by title case and never communicated properly to the consumer (as they use ambiguity to their advantage). Ubi does this as well...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
'Sorry to disappoint you - the game is indeed restricted to 3 hardware changes and there simply is no way to bypass that. We also do not have 7 copies of the game for you'.

I just Googled "Anno 2070 crack", and yes, there are plenty of ways to bypass that.

I highly recommend anyone inconvenienced by this to simply crack the game, and preferably to contact Ubisoft to tell them that they've cracked the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
People still buy Ubi PC titles?

This. Sucks for you guys, but this is business as usual for Ubisoft. The only way you're going to get them to stop is to stop supporting these practices/buying their titles.

But then they'll drop support for PC due to lack of sales/"piracy." Catch-22, eh?

This. Sucks for you guys, but this is business as usual for Ubisoft. The only way you're going to get them to stop is to stop supporting these practices/buying their titles.

But then they'll drop support for PC due to lack of sales/"piracy." Catch-22, eh?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/07/opinion-ubisoft-piracy-and-the-death-of-reason/

Recently, Ubisoft called its “always-on” DRM a success, claiming “a clear reduction in piracy.”

In terms of actual sales, however, the results seem decidedly mixed. Michael Pachter told Eurogamer that Ubisoft’s “PC game sales are down 90% without a corresponding lift in console sales.”

PC Gaming community has already responded accordingly....

iNvid02

no dvd cracks fix most drm problems, if i've bought a game and its fucking
itself up i just crack it so i can play in peace, but you shouldnt need to do this

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
No big deal for the PC master race, they're used to this having to deal with new issues for every single game.

Glad someone dealt with this guy. One of the worst thread shitters in a long time.

Anyways, as ludicrous as this is, it's not shocking coming from Ubisoft. They really are the worst publisher right not, at least when it comes to the PC platform. All thisaccomplishes is turning me off from the prospect of buying their games, not just on PC, but on any platform. I might not be able to resist Far Cry 3, but aside from that I do my best to avoid their games in the future.

The only things I am looking forward to from Ubi are more Prince of Persia games and Assassin's Creed games. This horrible DRM has only been found on ANNO right? AC: Rev doesn't have this does it? This would pretty much ruin it for me and Ubi PC games.

The only things I am looking forward to from Ubi are more Prince of Persia games and Assassin's Creed games. This horrible DRM has only been found on ANNO right? AC: Rev doesn't have this does it? This would pretty much ruin it for me and Ubi PC games.

It basically started in the AC games...I'm not sure what AC:Rev has but I believe it needs to log into a server every time it launches (just doesn't kick you off if you lose internet connection while you're in game).

How about having an option that says "I'm about to change some hardware". Click it, and then you get four hours to load the machine up with the new hardware and still retain your original activation.

Hell, you could make it into a challenge. :D

That aside, I'm assuming that the pirated version of this game is out there and completely free of all DRM bullshit?

It basically started in the AC games...I'm not sure what AC:Rev has but I believe it needs to log into a server every time it launches (just doesn't kick you off if you lose internet connection while you're in game).

Damn I thought that was patched out with AC 2 and wasn't used since. Always on, personally, isn't as bad as tying it to mu GPU. But its still bad.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How about having an option that says "I'm about to change some hardware". Click it, and then you get four hours to load the machine up with the new hardware and still retain your original activation.

Hell, you could make it into a challenge. :D

What would be the purpose of this? This would involve the publisher actively expending effort to improve the user experience. If they wanted to do that, they'd have a less restrictive DRM to begin with.

What would be the purpose of this? This would involve the publisher actively expending effort to improve the user experience. If they wanted to do that, they'd have a less restrictive DRM to begin with.
Ha, sure... but mostly I guess because it would still allow their retarded DRM but they could get customers jumping through hoops and panicking at the same time.

STUPID UBISOFT DRM MADE ME BREAK MY GRAPHICS CARD

TaroYamada

Last Ubi game I wanted was Rayman Origins, before that...... Beyond Good and Evil? That sounds right, but Rayman Origins isn't on PC so I guess I'll just wait for the Wii version to hit $10 and then play it in Dolphin.

People need to not buy Ubisoft's PC titles, pretty simple, at this point everybody on gaf knows they are gonna get screwed over so there are no excuses as to why you bought the game and are now upset that this happened. I am not saying these are acceptable business practices, but with the current infrastructure the only thing we can do is speak with our wallets and quit buying Ubisoft's PC titles.

Last Ubi game I wanted was Rayman Origins, before that...... Beyond Good and Evil? That sounds right, but Rayman Origins isn't on PC so I guess I'll just wait for the Wii version to hit $10 and then play it in Dolphin.

People need to not buy Ubisoft's PC titles, pretty simple, at this point everybody on gaf knows they are gonna get screwed over so there are no excuses as to why you bought the game and are now upset that this happened. I am not saying these are acceptable business practices, but with the current infrastructure the only thing we can do is speak with our wallets and quit buying Ubisoft's PC titles.

That and not buy on console as well... which has essentially happened...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It didn't really connect with me before that anno 2070 was an ubi game, damn. Removed from steam wish list.

I am quite vocal in my disapproval regarding anything Ubisoft does, but even I acknowledge that there are certain games tied up in their publishing arm that I enjoy playing. The Settlers and Anno series are a good example of franchises being choked occasionally, but if I want to play them I have to suffer the consequences.

dose

How about having the option to change whatever hardware you want in your own PC without having Ubisoft fucking moaning about it and restricting you even more? ;)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

It's a lose-lose situation. We stop buying Ubisoft PC games, and they'll think we're all pirating the games and that the market isn't worthwhile. We buy more Ubisoft PC games, and they'll think their DRM is successfully driving people to buy rather than pirate.

It's a lose-lose situation. We stop buying Ubisoft PC games, and they'll think we're all pirating the games and that the market isn't worthwhile. We buy more Ubisoft PC games, and they'll think their DRM is driving people to buy rather than pirate.

Its really sad how true this is.

Top Bottom