• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

DieH@rd

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
I am mildly excited about this game but none of the videos I have seen so far have completely sold me. Is there a specific video you guys recommend that gives a really good feel for the game?

There is an IGN 30min playtrough, but they totaly ignored combos and spells. :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
BruceLeeRoy said:
I am mildly excited about this game but none of the videos I have seen so far have completely sold me. Is there a specific video you guys recommend that gives a really good feel for the game?

The 3 part comic-con walkthrough probably.

near

Gold Member
I want to know more about the puzzles in this game, and then I'm convinced on buying it at some point. Watched the GT puzzle gameplay video and it seemed quite impressive for it's worth. But I'd like to know how much of the game really revolves around puzzles?

Near said:
I want to know more about the puzzles in this game, and then I'm convinced on buying it at some point. Watched the GT puzzle gameplay video and it seemed quite impressive for it's worth. But I'd like to know how much of the game really revolves around puzzles?

Really just think about Zelda like puzzles. Platforms, switches, item usage in dungeons, etc. I hear towards the end of the game the puzzles get a little harder but were not talking brain bending here.

TheApatheticOne said:
I truly believe these threads are a blessing and a curse. I, for one, think they are a blessing and my wife/wallet think they are a curse. This wasn't even a blip on my radar, read the thread yesterday, looked into the game, and now Im sitting here with the artbook and the game preordered for Tuesday. Looks great!

lol, that is cool.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The Interrobanger said:
I still can't get over how shitty the art style, lighting and just all around lack of visual polish are.

This might be one of the first games that although might be fun as hell, I pass on due to the technical side being done so horribly wrong.

Yikes, I thought I was bad when it came to judging a game by its visuals, if you really feel like you "HAVE" to pass on the game just because you believe that the game is unpolished because of I Y O the game has an apparent shitty lightning and art style then I'm sorry for you.

I for one am really happy there are games on ps360 that dare to use "different" visual approaches.

I love spacemarine games, I do, I love brown/gray/black/dark games be it dead space or fallout 3.

...but a little colour and variety in our games wont kill us ._.

Corky said:
Yikes, I thought I was bad when it came to judging a game by its visuals, if you really feel like you "HAVE" to pass on the game just because you believe that the game is unpolished because of I Y O the game has an apparent shitty lightning and art style then I'm sorry for you.

I for one am really happy there are games on ps360 that dare to use "different" visual approaches.

I love spacemarine games, I do, I love brown/gray/black/dark games be it dead space or fallout 3.

...but a little colour and variety in our games wont kill us ._.

I'm all for different visual approaches, but the art (specifically the main character) in this game looks like a 16 year old painted a portrait of out his beefcake goth girlfriend while she was cosplaying.

And the lighting (or lack thereof), makes it look like a first gen PS2 title.

I hate comics and geek "culture" so I get that I'm not the target gamer for this style of game, but god damn do I want some Zelda-esque action.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Then stop crying about the visuals, check out the reviews, and buy the game (if the gameplay fits what you crave), for fuck's sake.

Mejilan said:
Then stop crying about the visuals, check out the reviews, and buy the game (if the gameplay fits what you crave), for fuck's sake.

Learn to read "for fuck's sake":

The Interrobanger said:
This might be one of the first games that although might be fun as hell, I pass on due to the technical side being done so horribly wrong.

The visuals will impede my enjoyment of a game that I'd otherwise be interested in. Hence the "crying".

The Interrobanger said:
Learn to read "for fuck's sake":

The visuals will impede my enjoyment of a game that I'd otherwise be interested in. Hence the "crying".

Just at least rent the game and see if you can play it. Please.... pretty pretty please! :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fine, you said your piece; stupid as it may be. We play games, not their graphics.
Stop shitting up the thread with hyperbole that borders on trolling. First gen PS2 graphics, my ass.

My reading comprehension's just fine. It's your logic that's out-of-whack. It's bad enough when witless graphics whores defecate all over Wii threads, but to come into the OP of a game you have no intention of buying with that rubbish? Bleh.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DieH@rd said:
I expect that JoeMad will soon post here and thank ZealousD for this thread. :lol

:lol

If anybody from Vigil actually posted here, it'd probably be Haydn Dalton, their lead designer. He posts a lot on the Darksiders forum and he posts quite a bit on his blog. He's actually where I'm getting my review information from.

Edit: Holy shit I totally called it!

http://twitter.com/haydndalton/statuses/6974229373

DieH@rd

Banned

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
for those who are asking... there are two embargos.

Anyone who will be scoring the game higher than an 8 are allowed to post their review anytime after Dec 31. The rest are held until Jan 5.

DieH@rd

Banned
Caspel said:
for those who are asking... there are two embargos.

Anyone who will be scoring the game higher than an 8 are allowed to post their review anytime after Dec 31. The rest are held until Jan 5.

OK, so all the reviews will be up 1. January :D

Odinson

So Excited for this game. Didn't know anything about til I saw a commercial in like Oct. Been following it ever since.

If not for Bayonetta, i would be day one on this, instead it will certainly be my second purchase of 2010, this game looks too good to miss out on

forrest

formerly nacire
The Interrobanger said:
technical side being done so horribly wrong.

Technically, things are very sound. Artistically, it may not be your cup of tea.

I really think some folks will be pleasantly surprised at how nice the art and graphics actually look.

RamzaIsCool said:

9.0 Presentation
Great sense of style, cool chunky characters, nicely framed cutscenes, boils down information/collectables well in the pause menus.
9.0 Graphics
Far better use of colour than most games with grim settings like this. Well-realised, varied environments. Occasionally walking animations look cumbersome, but generally the animations are excellent.
8.5 Sound
Good voice acting for the most part... although the guy who plays War chews the scenery a bit too much at times. Excellent score.
8.5 Gameplay
Amazing how well this comes together considering how many mechanics and different control combinations are packed in. A little easy... and a few clumsy sequences, but great overall.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
No multiplayer, but this is a pretty decent length single player game.
Outstanding

mjc

Downgrading for a lack of multiplayer is the most nonsensical thing ever. The only thing that could be just as stupid is when games that do have multiplayer (albeit shitty multiplayer) it gets downgraded as well.

Oh well.

mjc said:
Not the one that comes in the art book. He only wrote that one, the guy that draws the WoW comic does the art instead.

dude, i got the book the other day. the preorder bonus at gamestop. Theres a good 8-10 pages of comic story by MAD, then a ton more of concept work that is by MAD and other artists.

mjc

TrAcEr_x90 said:
dude, i got the book the other day. the preorder bonus at gamestop. Theres a good 8-10 pages of comic story by MAD, then a ton more of concept work that is by MAD and other artists.

Exactly. He wrote the shortened comic but didn't draw it. The rest of the concept art is from him, yes.

mjc said:
Exactly. He wrote the shortened comic but didn't draw it. The rest of the concept art is from him, yes.

He freakin drew it. If he didnt, that is the most copycat artist I have ever seen. And that would be hard to believe with how MAD isn't fond of people blatantly using his style.

Arde5643

nacire said:
Technically, things are very sound. Artistically, it may not be your cup of tea.

I really think some folks will be pleasantly surprised at how nice the art and graphics actually look.
Don't worry, once he's said the game looks like a PS2 game, we know for sure the guy's trolling out of his ass.

mjc

TrAcEr_x90 said:
He freakin drew it. If he didnt, that is the most copycat artist I have ever seen. And that would be hard to believe with how MAD isn't fond of people blatantly using his style.

Check the beginning of the book at the writers/drawers credits. :D

KevinCow said:
Wait, you were supposed to get the artbook when you preordered? God damn Gamestop.

They might have ran out of copies depending on how many they got to begin with. I've heard that there were shortages of them all around.

KevinCow

Banned
mjc said:
They might have ran out of copies depending on how many they got to begin with. I've heard that there were shortages of them all around.

I preordered a couple weeks ago, probably before they even got them.

I'd better get mine when I pick the game up.

Yeah when i get home Ill double check the credits. I googled it and yes, most info i saw said he didnt draw it. But damn, if thats not a rip off artist i dont know what is. I guess joe mad is ok with it now that he is too busy with the game stuff.

A few weeks ago, I had the distinct pleasure of finishing and reviewing the best role playing game I'd played in years – PS3's Demon's Souls. As the credits rolled, I thought it would be months, maybe even years, before I played another game of the same caliber. Imagine my surprise when, in just a matter of weeks, another game came down the pike that raised the bar for action/adventure titles in the same way Demon's Souls obliterated conventions for the (arguably) flagging RPG genre.

When viewed as a whole, it is clear that Darksiders was made by skilled developers who truly love video games. If there ever was a game that could be all things to all people and tastes, Darksiders is it. There isn't a single aspect found in this title that is anything less than exemplary, and even with a crowded spring release schedule including the likes of Bayonetta and God of War III, Darksiders is more than deserving of your gaming dollars. There is no such thing as a perfect video game, but Darksiders is about as close to one as you'll ever play.

http://www.gamerstemple.com/vgreview.asp/r_5416

98%

ZealousD

KevinCow said:
I preordered a couple weeks ago, probably before they even got them.

I'd better get mine when I pick the game up.

Yeah, technically they're suppose to wait until you pick the game up. Our store got them less than a week ago.

ZealousD

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Yeah when i get home Ill double check the credits.

I've got it right here in my hands.

Joe Mad co-wrote with Paul Demeo.
Ludo Lullai was the illustrator.
Anthony Washington colored it.
Rob Leigh did the lettering.

dralla said:
this game sounds great on paper, I just can't get into it when I see the vids. The graphics definitely don't do this game any favors.

That's how I feel. The graphics and character models are really meh to me, and the gameplay doesn't seem all the incredible. But it's been getting lot's of good reviews so I don't know. Hopefully the story is incredible. The one thing that can get me to buy any game is a really interesting story. I'm probably going to rent it first then buy if I like it a lot.

yipes.. I think this is going to be one of those blind buys where I don't know anything but end up loving the game. Like prototype.

SaitoH

Thank you thread; I have preorder this game which I never knew existed before yesterday.

Good job on making me spend more money on video games!

Top Bottom