• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2017 Week 4 |OT| "We were in a nickel. But with injuries, we didn’t have a dime."

FyreWulff

That does seem stupid. But Frost wasn't a HC at that time and was an OC under Kelly - who was really running the show in Oregon. I doubt a program like Nebraska would seriously entertain him as coach given he's never been a HC at this level.

I still think it's too soon to act - but I guess things will get more interesting with Frost depending on how this season goes at UCF. And especially after next year if he continues things on an upward trajectory.

I mean I mostly say "CALL FROST" as a rib - I don't think we should go after him this year. He wants to rebuild UCF and if he does well there, he's pretty much set for life. He needs more experience as a HC.

He makes the jump to Nebraska, even if he went 10-2 he'd get fired.

Not an attractive job. As sports-romantic as it sounds to hire Nebraska to lead Nebraska, we need to loosen up on that.

Quake1028

It didn't read as the nigga looking for sympathy or waving away his drop in production during his later years with Green Bay, but it's weird as hell that some of y'all's reaction to it is "you're getting paid millions, why should I care about your struggles?"

His body doesn't stop doing what it's trying to do just because he's getting paid to fight it, especially when he's been battling injuries on top of that. And I'm sure being successful doesn't preclude him from being hurt when he catches an earful about how fat he is in all walks of life, no matter how hard he's working to get in shape and stay there.

But "ugh, he's just rich and lazy, quit crying and run the football", I guess.

Weird.

Nah, I get that portion.

I was annoyed with the general "fuck your internal struggles, you're rich" comments. That shit is weird as hell.

He's not complaining about being well off. He's sharing how hard it is for him, personally, to keep his weight down. Waving away being able to empathize with someone because they're more successful than you are is idiotic logic.

But I'm imploring people to consider that money doesn't prevent a pretty good dude like Eddie from getting his feelings hurt in an American football thread, which is where I went wrong. I was the only one who read the piece and thought it was cool to hear about how someone successful still struggles with everyday self-esteem issues like I do. Know your audience, I suppose.

I don't really agree with many of your views about football and such, but this shit is superb.

Slo

Ohio's recruiting grounds are light years ahead of Nebraska. It's the best recruiting area not in the South be it East or West.

Wisconsin might be an outlier I'd agree to some extent, but I didn't bring them up. Michigan, OSU, and PSU all have much better recruiting bases. The only downside being they have to compete against each other.

Where is Nebraska gonna get all these great recruits from? People in Texas and Okie gonna go to schools in those states. Nebraska is like the 40th highest state population wise.

More people live in the supposed hell hole that is Cleveland metro area than the whole state of Nebraska.

I just fail to see their angle where they are consistently better than 9-3 other than the odd year where one of the best players in the country happens to have been born in Omaha or something.

Now that PJ Fleck has built a wall around Minnesota, Nebraska is screwed for recruiting!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I mean I feel like a hater, but we're talking doing consistently better than 9-3 which isn't exactly terrible. I just fail to see where their recruits are gonna magically come from to up the talent level to the 10-2 tier.

Jhriad

Eichorst had to know this was coming, he hadn't talked to the media as much as he did in the last week as he had in the prior five years. I actually like Mike Riley a lot, I think he is a good coach, but not good enough for Nebraska. He would be excellent for a mid-major. This is Nebraska however and they need to pay someone seven or eight million dollars to compete. Got to be a huge name to draw in recruits

If we get a new coach it shouldn't be until after next year. You send the same, "This job is radioactive," message that Pederson sent when he fired a 9-3 Solich by firing a relatively respected coach in year three. With regards to future hires, I'd prefer to throw money at the entire staff and their supporting staff, not just a splash HC. The Personnel Development staff or whatever they're called needs just as much love as the guys you'll see on the sideline.

Why wasn't Scott Frost called by Nebraska like.. why wasn't he at the top of the list?

Frost needed to cut his teeth elsewhere. The pressure at Nebraska isn't something to take lightly and honestly, I wasn't too impressed with his performance as an OC at Oregon.

At this point I'm not sure anyone sticks long at Nebraska. Maybe it'll be better now that Harvey Perlman isn't the one bumbling through decisions but I have my doubts. Bo left the cupboard pretty bare including some pretty bad scholarship gaps in certain position groups (the linebacker room was practically empty if you removed the first string guys). So 2 1/4 years in on what should be considered a significant rebuild and people are screaming for cleaning house and the environment turns toxic. I don't think that Riley can take us where we want to go but unlike Bo he's shown he's willing to make the necessary staff & scheme changes and can actually recruit. If nothing else, whenever he leaves I think he'll leave the program in a better position going forward than Bo did.

Jhriad

I mean I feel like a hater, but we're talking doing consistently better than 9-3 which isn't exactly terrible. I just fail to see where their recruits are gonna magically come from to up the talent level to the 10-2 tier.

It's not that hard to get to 10-2 in the Big Ten West and it certainly doesn't require top 10 recruiting classes to do so.

FyreWulff

It's not that hard to get to 10-2 in the Big Ten West and it certainly doesn't require top 10 recruiting classes to do so.

Yeah.

People have to remember that the Big Ten West was -intentionally- set up for Nebraska to do well in, and can't even manage that.

Jhriad

If nothing else, Riley has proven that it's possible to recruit to Nebraska. It might require extra elbow grease compared to elsewhere but it can be done.

Yeah.

People have to remember that the Big Ten West was -intentionally- set up for Nebraska to do well in, and can't even manage that.

Preserving important yearly rivalry games and travel were bigger concerns but yeah, they did us a favor we haven't been able to capitalize on with the division. Of course, we couldn't even win the Big 12 North consistently there at the end so it shouldn't be too surprising.

Slo

Nah, I get that portion.

I was annoyed with the general "fuck your internal struggles, you're rich" comments. That shit is weird as hell.

He's not complaining about being well off. He's sharing how hard it is for him, personally, to keep his weight down. Waving away being able to empathize with someone because they're more successful than you are is idiotic logic.

But I'm imploring people to consider that money doesn't prevent a pretty good dude like Eddie from getting his feelings hurt in an American football thread, which is where I went wrong. I was the only one who read the piece and thought it was cool to hear about how someone successful still struggles with everyday self-esteem issues like I do. Know your audience, I suppose.

I don't read the blow back to Lacy gaining weight so much as "lol you're rich so stfu." Instead I read it to be "you had one job and infinite resources to accomplish it!"

When you feed your family by being a superior athlete, it's kinda hard to feel sorry for a guy who eats himself out of a job.

I don't read the blow back to Lacy gaining weight so much as "lol you're rich so stfu." Instead I read it to be "you had one job and infinite resources to accomplish it!"

When you feed your family by being a superior athlete, it's kinda hard to feel sorry for a guy who eats himself out of a job.

This, the guy doesn't take his job seriously, one he is blessed to have. So should I feel sorry for him because he eats like shit then wonder why he packs on the pounds?

cdyhybrid

It's not about him not taking his weight seriously, it's about people being shitheads on social media.

Come on, this isn't complicated.

andycapps

It's not about him not taking his weight seriously, it's about people being shitheads on social media.

It can be about both. It's not either/or. He could be irresponsible for not using the resources he has to deal with his addiction, and people could not be shit heads to him about it.

cdyhybrid

It can be about both. It's not either/or. He could be irresponsible for not using the resources he has to deal with his addiction, and people could not be shit heads to him about it.
Well yeah, but the issue wasn't really the fact that he had trouble with his weight. He agreed to weight clauses in his contract, after all. Everyone realizes he hasn't really been all-in on his conditioning.

The problem was that it then became public and people used it to bash him when they frankly don't even actually care if he eats himself out of the league or not. There's legitimate criticism to be had, but if we're being real probably 95% of the discussion about it was not that.

People just want to be dicks for the sake of being dicks /shrug

andycapps

Well yeah, but the issue wasn't really the fact that he had trouble with his weight. He agreed to weight clauses in his contract, after all. Everyone realizes he hasn't really been all-in on his conditioning.

The problem was that it then became public and people used it to bash him when they frankly don't even actually care if he eats himself out of the league or not. There's legitimate criticism to be had, but if we're being real probably 95% of the discussion about it was not that.

People just want to be dicks for the sake of being dicks /shrug

This is very true.

The reason that I, and many others, lack empathy for Lacy is because I know if I were as gifted as he was and had millions of dollars on the table and all I had to do to ensure I kept my millions was stay in shape, I would make every effort I could to ensure I kept my weight down. And after Lacy's first year, he clearly wasn't doing that, and it was baffling to many. Eating healthy is such a small sacrifice to be a millionaire, and 99.99% of Americans who haven't seen a million in their life would agree to those conditions. Most Americans make tougher sacrifices just to get by.....

Not only that, but, he does take his weight seriously. He had one or two seasons where his weight gain was his fault, and he's discussed how a lot of that was ignorance on his part of what he's supposed to eat, how often, and how it translates to his performance.

At this point, people are just being dickheads. Especially since the first response to my post was literally someone saying "oh my, how am I supposed to feel sorry for this millionaire" when the crux of the story was him trying to get away from people like that being assholes to him unprovoked. You don't have to be on the same level as someone to feel empathy for them, and there's no reason to directly tweet at the guy calling him a fat piece of shit (below a post where he's talking about his new, healthy diet, no less).

GUYS ITS COLLEGE FOOTBALL TOMORROW

I'm legit excited about (the first half of) a Vanderbilt game. What is this, where am I???

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GUYS ITS COLLEGE FOOTBALL TOMORROW

Been the weirdest season for me with my team. Late game on a Monday with a quick turn around for a noon game against a cupcake. Then a bye week due to the hurricane. Just don't feel like I've gotten in a good rhythm.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

OwJQZPo.gif

Guess gifs will have to do

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'll never understand why they are allowed to wear blue uniforms on the blue field. I guess because you can wear green on a normal field so why not blue on the blue field?

Dishwalla

Banned
Salty folks about the blue field lol. They've been using it for years, decades, before they were ever a good team. NCAA doesn't say anything about it, in fact there are no rules in the NCAA as to what color your field has to be(there is a rule in the NFL though).

Top Bottom