• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where's my Fallout 3 teaser Bethesda?!

Awesome teaser.

But there's no way in hell this won't be first person and real time. I would love turn-based but I just don't see it happening.

besada

Banned
Zenith said:
Snip a bunch of useless drivel

1. If you can show me that the sales of just the PC director's version of Fahrenheit got anywhere close to the number of sales Bethesda needs to make to pay for the creation of Fallout 3, I'll take a week ban. You willing to make the same bet?

2. You keep bringing up GTA:SA like it has some bearing here. It was released and the majority of copies sold while it was rated M. You know this, but you keep pretending it isn't so, which makes you seem pretty dishonest.

3. You're the one who apparently thinks it's easy to release a child-killing game and make money at it. If that's the case, you'll need to make your own, because no one else is that stupid.

4. Added you to ignore because I've got better things to do than listen to someone who doesn't have an ounce of business or common sense.

God, Fallout fans are spoiled babies (not anyone here in particular; I'm referring more to the NMA morans). At least your beloved franchise is still the genre it was intended to be. We Shadowrun fans got stuck with a Counter Strike clone. :lol

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Night_Trekker said:
Awesome teaser.

But there's no way in hell this won't be first person and real time. I would love turn-based but I just don't see it happening.
Doesn't Oblivion have a 3rd-person camera as well? Maybe they'll have an option for some kind of variant of that view

Clevinger

besada said:
3. You're the one who apparently thinks it's easy to release a child-killing game and make money at it. If that's the case, you'll need to make your own, because no one else is that stupid.

Bioshock has you killing children. But it's not really reasonable to compare when Bioshock's killing happens off-screen, and Fallout's is ridiculously gory, graphic, and detailed.

clashfan

ORANGUTAN said:
Doesn't Oblivion have a 3rd-person camera as well? Maybe they'll have an option for some kind of variant of that view

Oblivion does have a 3rd person view but it's harder to play Oblivion in 3rd person mode.

besada

Banned
Clevinger said:
Bioshock has you killing children. But it's not really reasonable to compare when Bioshock's killing happens off-screen, and Fallout's is ridiculously gory, graphic, and detailed.

But it doesn't really. Bioshock has children dying through your indirect action. Just recently they announced that you couldn't actually directly kill the little sisters. Indirect death appears to be fine (any number of games where kids die off-screen because of user action/inaction), but direct killing of "younglings" apparently crosses a line in videogames. Fable had direct child killing originally, but it was removed before shipping.

Clevinger

besada said:
But it doesn't really. Bioshock has children dying through your indirect action. Just recently they announced that you couldn't actually directly kill the little sisters. Indirect death appears to be fine (any number of games where kids die off-screen because of user action/inaction), but direct killing of "younglings" apparently crosses a line in videogames. Fable had direct child killing originally, but it was removed before shipping.

I'm agreeing with you. Something as graphic and detailed as Fallout's death animations for children wouldn't float well today. Bioshock's child immortality/killing now happens off-screen likely because of that, despite the reasons given.

Black Isle was originally planning for real-time and turn-based combat in Fallout 3. If Bethesda could pull it off, I would be okay with that.

besada

Banned
Night_Trekker said:
Black Isle was originally planning for real-time and turn-based combat in Fallout 3. If Bethesda could pull it off, I would be okay with that.

Honestly, I think the best the turn-based fans can hope for is something like Mass Effect, where combat happens in real-time, but you can press pause and make adjustments, including pathing. That's actually what I'd like to see.

Well well... that wasn't as disappointing as i was expecting it to be. :p

Good job Bethesda, i'm still interested. Now you just have to get the gameplay right and not make it an FPS.

Clevinger

01gami_171_cov_lres.jpg

With the trailer arriving today, we felt it would be rather fitting to announce our July cover. We're blowing the lid off of one of the most anticipated returns of a franchise - Fallout 3. We bring you inside Bethesda and give you the first details about this post-apocalyptic open-ended RPG that's hitting the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2008.

Frenck

Banned
:lol @ NMA

"Rehash!"

"All Bethesda can do is to steal from Black Isle"

"Power Armor isn't bulky enough"

At first it wasn't Fallout enough for them now it's too much Fallout.

Clevinger said:
http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/rdonlyres/7C7D4B9E-0AEE-4A1B-A923-72EC97B15BCD/12540/01gami_171_cov_lres.jpg

What? PS3 and 360 too?

Oblivion engine confirmed.
First Person confirmed.

:( :(

F**K YOU BETHESDA! :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The textures on that guy's armor suit looked straight out of Oblivion.

Decent teaser, though! I look forward to seeing more.

GhaleonEB

We bring you inside Bethesda and give you the first details about this post-apocalyptic open-ended RPG that's hitting the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2008.
Probably old news, but that's the first confirmation I've read that it's coming to consoles. Woo!
Zefah said:
The textures on that guy's armor suit looked straight out of Oblivion.
0_o

Frenck said:
:lol @ NMA

"Rehash!"

"All Bethesda can do is to steal from Black Isle"

"Power Armor isn't bulky enough"

At first it wasn't Fallout enough for them now it's too much Fallout.

Add "WTF ITS COMING TO 360 and PS3?! SELL OUTS!" to the list.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Dolphin said:
When is a game developer going to realize that a post apocalyptic future doesn't have to be brown and desaturated?
Fallout's world is brown and desaturated, so that's not a problem for Fallout 3.

In fact, having a non-brown-and-desaturated world would be a problem.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Vyse The Legend said:
Add "WTF ITS COMING TO 360 and PS3?! SELL OUTS!" to the list.
Seeing what happened to Oblivion's UI to fit it on consoles (compared to Morrowind), Fallout 3 being prepared for console definitely isn't good news.

Especially since the original Fallout engine was much more unfit for gamepad-based gameplay than even Morrowind's.

besada

Banned
Masklinn said:
Seeing what happened to Oblivion's UI to fit it on consoles (compared to Morrowind), Fallout 3 being prepared for console definitely isn't good news.

Especially since the original Fallout engine was much more unfit for gamepad-based gameplay than even Morrowind's.

Considering how much money Bethsoft made off the console version of Oblivion, was anyone surprised that they're going to make this for consoles?

Odrion

Banned
Deus Ex 2 was a great game, I'm kinda worried by the amount of hate it gets.

I'd totally kill for a PSN version of the game, if not just for HD and a playable framerate on consoles.

Sorry but Deus ex 2 shouldnt even be named Deus ex.......and thank the Xbox for that....the pc version was never the leading one.....god knows if Fallout 3 is being done with 360 in mind...

Odrion said:

I'd totally kill for a PSN version of the game, if not just for HD and a playable framerate on consoles.

Um, have you played Deus Ex? IW was one huge letdown after that. The hate is well deserved.

"War.... war never changes" OH WJ+T(UJSI_FGUS&*()GY&*(SGY*)SH JESUS YES PERLMAN IS BACK!

It's not going to be like old Fallout, but I still think it could ultimately be awesome. Bethesda aren't monkeys and it would be foolish for them to try and copy the Black Isle style.

Give give give!

epmode

Odrion said:
Not as good as Deus Ex 1, of course, but I agree. It was worth a playthrough just to see the new world + its story. It was a bit too console'd for its own good, but I don't think Oblivion suffered the same fate. My biggest problem with Oblivion was the scaling difficulty.

golem

Vyse The Legend said:
God, Fallout fans are spoiled babies (not anyone here in particular; I'm referring more to the NMA morans). At least your beloved franchise is still the genre it was intended to be. We Shadowrun fans got stuck with a Counter Strike clone. :lol
they shoudl have released a trailer in anime style just to piss those numbnuts off.. haha

Fall 2008!? It's not even Fall 2007! Why don't they announce these games when they're almost finished!? Now I want it and I can't get it for another year!

Death_Born said:
Fall 2008!? It's not even Fall 2007! Why don't they announce these games when they're almost finished!? Now I want it and I can't get it for another year!

Fallout 3 posters were at the last 2 or 3 e3s :lol

I didn't like the trailer, it didn't show much in the way of gameplay, or at least anything attention-grabbing.

The graphics are nice, but no way in hell is there going to be that much detail, on environments that scale.

Clevinger

RubberJohnny said:
I didn't like the trailer, it didn't show much in the way of gameplay, or at least anything attention-grabbing.

The graphics are nice, but no way in hell is there going to be that much detail, on environments that scale.

It was a teaser, not a trailer.

Krowley

Glad to hear it's coming to consoles. It will be years before I have a PC that will run something like this.

I always assumed it would show up on consoles but I'm glad to see it confirmed.

Metalmurphy said:
What? PS3 and 360 too?

Oblivion engine confirmed.
First Person confirmed.

:( :(

First of all, that confirms nothing... I'm pretty sure there are many examples of a single engine being used for both first and 3rd person games.

Secondly, I'll never understand why first person is such a scary thing for fallout fans. Bethesda would be stupid to make a carbon copy of the original fallouts.. Firstly the gameplay is dated in many ways, and secondly we've already played fallout 1 and 2 and this game needs to be something new. It needs to expand the audience for fallout beyond the hardcore old school fallout fans... If the franchise had continued it would have gradualy changed over time anyway.

edit// and as to the worry that it will be dumbed down because of gamepad design.. Bethesda did a great job of that on Morrowind and from all reports, oblivion plays just fine on a gamepad and on PC.

The only thing this confirms is that the game probably won't have a point and click type of interface and hopefully nobody was expecting that anyway.

Pakkidis

Do some of you even know what a teaser trailer is? That was awesome. Hopefully they can nail the gameplay down and the internet will cool down again.

Top Bottom