• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

Well, it led to some problems yesterday when the US servers weren't functioning properly, but most people just assume you have to be always online to play the game (like Diablo 3).

Blizzard hurt everyone.

I am more concerned about the 3 activations. I can't even begin to count the number of times I have installed the original PC release. Back in the days of Win9x, I would reinstall Windows once every 3 months. I still reinstall it once every 6 months now. 3 activations will cause me problems.

Yeah I have a problem. I'm taking a break from work and want to check out whats up with FF7 pc. Not read about you pretending to play this for the first time.

he's having fun, and most of us are fine with him narrating what has happened.

I personally get such a nostalgic kick out of it.

Anyway, how much had Final Fantasy VII affected your life?

I got the game a week before I started my first year of high school, but only played it once or twice. Then classes started, and me being the painfully shy dude that I was, had trouble making friends.

Then I heard a couple of guys talking about what they played on the Playstation, joined in, and they started talking about how awesome playing Final Fantasy VII was. I started playing as soon as I got back home and everyday, we would just sit in a group talking about the game.

We started moving on to talking about other games (and obviously girls) soonafter, but I'll always remember the game as that ice breaker that helped made that year of school a lot of fun.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Grinding is fun. Oddly. But I wish it had the fast-forward feature that Pokemon had in Pokemon Stadium. Given it has a character booster, I don't think that's an odd thing to ask.
So the character booster is a one-time only thing that'll get you to level 99 or something? That doesn't sound fun.

I thought it was going to be like Level Up-Level Down at any point you want during the game, so you could be at high levels when you want and low levels when you want.

Damn yuffie took forever. Still streaming fyi.
Just wanted to say thanks for streaming and stuff. It's good to have on in the background while I write up study notes.

Robin64

So the character booster is a one-time only thing that'll get you to level 99 or something? That doesn't sound fun.

Yeah, you log on to the website, pick your save file and hit the Character Booster button. At which point, everyone becomes level 99 and you get 49m gil. Also, you can't reverse it.

Edit: Precious Member status... ;_;

Seik

Banned
Yeah I have a problem. I'm taking a break from work and want to check out whats up with FF7 pc. Not read about you pretending to play this for the first time.

Yeah you have a problem, that's your attitude. Fix it or you won't last long.

Skip his posts if you don't like it, I love reading him being hyped, because I am too, doing this game is always fun.

Its nice to see at which pace he's doing it too...and he's doing it quite fast. o_o

Jubern

Am I correct in understanding that you need to create a specific Square Enix Shop ID different from your SE Members ID in order to buy something on the Shop?

Seems stupid for me buy since the shop won't take my SE Members ID I'm supposing it really does work that way?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Awww yeah, it's that time again! Multitasking my game + Corrans stream :3 I love it... wish I could've done the same in 1997!

McNum

Yeah, you log on to the website, pick your save file and hit the Character Booster button. At which point, everyone becomes level 99 and you get 49m gil. Also, you can't reverse it.

Edit: Precious Member status... ;_;
Wait, they just boot you to 99?

Heh, someone is going to get a rude awakening concerning the final boss there. If Cloud is level 99, he gets a big HP boost.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sounds kind of disappointing. If you wanted to get to the 99 999 999 gil achievement easily, it might be something you would want to do, though.

The final boss's stats changes depending on the stats of your party. So for every character at level 99, he gets an HP boost of 30K, +2 ATK, +5 MAG, +16 MDEF, +20 or so PDEF. Every time you kill the previous boss's head, the final boss's HP will be reduced by 100. There's a limit on this and I forgot what it was.

So if you take all of that stat addition into consideration, the final boss's max stats are: 400K HP, 246 ATK, 140 MAG, 308 MDEF, and 260 PDEF. DEX and EVA aren't affected, I don't think.

Edit: I'll say that it is not hard to fight him at Lv 99, though.

I almost want to say to try to snag a 1998 version because it's much easier to mod/patch, but since this and the PSN versions of FFVII are more easily accessible, you could try those too.

McNum

Now that I did not know! Is it significantly harder?
Not significantly, but he has about two to three times the HP. Can't remember how much. But if you want to see him at his most powerful, you also want to get Knights of the Round first. He gets an additional HP boost if you have that. Why? So you can't one-shot him with it.

His base HP is a little over 72k. This is from memory, but I think he hits 300k or more when boosted. He'll still go down pretty fast, though, because, let's face it, at level 99 and with the proper Materia, you're pretty much unstoppable.

But if you only get the XP and not the AP needed to grow your Materia and then fight the final boss? There may be trouble. No amount of gil with buy you a Restore with Cure3 or a multiple use Summon or All Materia. That has to be earned. Or do you get AP with the booster, too?

TheExodu5

Banned
Is anyone aware of a way to apply a shader to either this new PC version, or the original PC version?

Also, can the music in this version be modified to be the same as the PSX version?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I must be fucking drunk or something. I've never had problems finding Alexander but now I lost track where I was and I've spent like 10 minutes roaming blindly.

Fuck.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I must be fucking drunk or something. I've never had problems finding Alexander but now I lost track where I was and I've spent like 10 minutes roaming blindly.

Fuck.
My adolescent imagination ran wild at the mini-game of climbing the cold mountain where you had to rub bodies to stay warm.

Tifa Lockhart.

TheContact

This is simply untrue. It was a more limited form (You needed at least two of an item to duplicate it, as opposed to selecting one item and then canceling the second) but it was still there.

Ah that's good to know, I remember trying it and having it not work, that must have been why. Then there's a good chance it's in this version, since I doubt they even touched the code from the PC port.

I never got the email for the free copy for downloading early, so I just bought one anyway. I'm sure the e-mail will come, because they said it would, but I can't wait any longer =x

But I'm having problems. When it says to enter the "Activation Code" (I assume the Serial Number??) I keep getting "Server Error. Try again" Anyone else have this problem? I've tried reinstalling, that didn't work.

Edit: Err. okay so I logged through the email instead of the user name and it didn't ask me for that Activation code and just let me play. Weird.

Yoshichan

That was a bunch of wasted time... finally got Alexander but it sure took me 15 more minutes than it usually does...

ANYWAY! Proceeding on!

Whogie

So I finally got a reply back from CS about not getting my free copy email.

Digital_River said:
Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Store online store.

We apologize for the inconvenience.Unfortunately, we do not handle the
customer service for the Microsoft Store... etc...

Good thing I already figured out my old serial was still valid.

Venfayth

Your characters do not become level 99, they only get 9999 hp/999 mp and 49,999,999 gil. The important distinction is that your stats remain untouched.

cyen

Just a question, someone mentioned that its a first time only activation then u can play offline. Is this correct? Or everytime i want to play i must be connected to the internet?

If its always on like diablo 3 if i replace the .exe from a pirate release am i being a pirate or doing something ilegal? Because i dont want to be always online to play the game, its exactly the oposite, its for those times that i dont have an internet connecting at my disposal.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If its always on like diablo 3 if i replace the .exe from a pirate release am i being a pirate or doing something ilegal? Because i dont want to be always online to play the game, its exactly the oposite, its for those times that i dont have an internet connecting at my disposal.

Technically, yes, that's a violation of 17 USC 1201(a)(1) (assuming I'm not mixing up my statutes.) It's not legal to circumvent DRM, and there is no fair use exception as far as DRM is concerned, as it is governed by the DMCA.

But my honest, legal advice? FUCK THA POLICE. Do what you want. The law's gotta change sometime, anyway, because it's fuckin' retarded right now.

cyen

yeah, the DRM in this game is something out of this world, a re-release from a game thats 15 years old and it gets all the best shitty DRM it could get.. dont know what was SQUENIX ideia.

Anyway, Just bought the game,ill just wait and see then... maybe they will change their mind and remove the drm later on.

Yoshichan

Northern Crater introduction... 10/10

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just a question, someone mentioned that its a first time only activation then u can play offline. Is this correct? Or everytime i want to play i must be connected to the internet?

Only the first time. I wish the stupid "Internet required" was gone from the thread title.

antitrop

yeah, the DRM in this game is something out of this world, a re-release from a game thats 15 years old and it gets all the best shitty DRM it could get.. dont know what was SQUENIX ideia.

Anyway, Just bought the game,ill just wait and see then... maybe they will change their mind and remove the drm later on.
It's one of the weirdest cases of DRM I've ever heard of.

Like... just why?

Yoshichan

The Jenova song is 10x better in this version. I love it.

Yoshichan

"Jenova Absolute" is one of the best boss tracks ever. How's it sound here, when you get that far
That's the absolute last Jenova song right? That'll make me a couple of days to get to ._.

Muskweeto

I like that Heidegger's belly just goes through the table.

9qhd2.png

Top Bottom