• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Slair

I just tried to meet up with a friend. I was hiding in a bush for a while waiting for him. He had to restart his router so i thought i'd crawl to a barn about 300m away and then get him to meet me inside. So he comes back on and he sees someone in the treeline about 300m north of the barn, the guy is just running on the spot. So i tell him take no chances he might kill us on our way out or some shit. He shoots him, then i die. Turns out the guy was me 300m and 15mins in the past.

mnightshamalamalamalan.gif

I respawn on the beach, collapse and now i'm looking at an hourglass that is taking waaay too long to deplete.

Fuck.

Dmax3901

TX8 is GAFs sever huh?

I'll drop in sometime, Aussie servers are pretty shit generally so I'm playing on US servers most of the time anyway.

Me and two mates found a van, had about an hours worth of fun then got 'no message received' and lost it. Now stuck out in the middle of nowhere on foot.

I just tried to meet up with a friend. I was hiding in a bush for a while waiting for him. He had to restart his router so i thought i'd crawl to a barn about 300m away and then get him to meet me inside. So he comes back on and he sees someone in the treeline about 300m north of the barn, the guy is just running on the spot. So i tell him take no chances he might kill us on our way out or some shit. He shoots him, then i die. Turns out the guy was me 300m and 15mins in the past.

mnightshamalamalamalan.gif

I respawn on the beach, collapse and now i'm looking at an hourglass that is taking waaay too long to deplete.

Fuck.
Wait, so what happened? did the game break the space-time-continuum....

Blizzard

Banned
More like bandit players whined and bitched and moaned on the boards about how all the survivors were ganging up on them.

But it was a flawed system. Kill bandits to protect yourself from bandits? Guess what, kill enough of them and bam! You are a bandit!
Nope, killing bandits made you GAIN humanity, didn't it? Some people complained that if you tried to kill someone before they killed you and the person you wanted to kill WASN'T a bandit, you'd get an undeserved bandit skin, but someone in this thread mentioned that it only took them a day or so to get rid of a skin after deciding to kill two people, so I don't really consider that a major issue.

Nope, killing bandits made you GAIN humanity, didn't it? Some people complained that if you tried to kill someone before they killed you and the person you wanted to kill WASN'T a bandit, you'd get an undeserved bandit skin, but someone in this thread mentioned that it only took them a day or so to get rid of a skin after deciding to kill two people, so I don't really consider that a major issue.

Indeed. It felt okay. Maybe, okay... make it less distinctive... but come on, give us something that at least in close quarters can give you a hint. I don't care for long range.

Kritz

Banned
TX8 is GAFs sever huh?

I'll drop in sometime, Aussie servers are pretty shit generally so I'm playing on US servers most of the time anyway.

Oh, you're one of those guys. Australians on GAF who aren't in the AusGAF cool kids club.

AusGAF barely plays DayZ as it is :(

abusori

Today was a day of ups and downs.

Overall, it was great, but due to certain circumstances unrelated to death I lost my favorite gun ever and I'm not happy about it. Not happy.

I had just found the Mk 48 machinegun, and the next time I log in I spawn in the middle of the ocean with all my gear lost. Screw this.

Edit: Turns out the reason was beacuse I was wearing a skin. Don't wear skins unless you wanna spawn in the ocean

yeildrikk

Neo Member
Oh, you're one of those guys. Australians on GAF who aren't in the AusGAF cool kids club.

I'm one of the guys Dmax was playing with when we found the van- what's your steam name? We should join forces a bit. The more the merrier and all that.

Erdem

Banned
I had just found the Mk 48 machinegun, and the next time I log in I spawn in the middle of the ocean with all my gear lost. Screw this.

Edit: Turns out the reason was beacuse I was wearing a skin. Don't wear skins unless you wanna spawn in the ocean

I've changed skins three times now, never happened to me. Where did you find the Mk48 and which version you're playing? I must have played this game for 50 hours near NW airfield and never seen an LMG ever.

CryptiK

Yeah thats because being in AusGAF stops you from playing games...

Have raided the airfield 4 times now and Stary 3 times STILL NO NVG GAH!

mik83kuu

Banned
Yeah thats because being in AusGAF stops you from playing games...

Have raided the airfield 4 times now and Stary 3 times STILL NO NVG GAH!

If you find a laser range spotter thingy you can trade it to Gibz and he'll give you NVG if he didn't complete the trade already with someone else.

bengraven

Ugh, my game wasn't even finished loading textures and I was killed. Four more minutes of loading for me!

Then my wife and kid start nagging me, despite it being nearly midnight and both of them being in bed. This is definitely not a game to play as a dad of a toddler and husband of a needy wife. I had to sit in a zombie rich area for a few minutes to deal with them, shocked I didn't get either eaten or shot, because I didn't want to deal with the long loading of reloading.

Enron

Banned
Another 3 characters since yesterday's slaughter at the hands of other players, another 3 player-kill deaths. I'm beginning to think this game is for masochists and 14-year olds that just want to player kill and giggle about it on Vent. Think I'm done for good now. :/

Sordid

Anyone else get this e-mail? The DayZ main e-mail account was hacked and a forum backup was stolen/a virus uploaded to one of their mirrors.

Hello,

A security breach has sadly happened to DayZ, we are sending out a mass email to notify users who currently do not know.

To stay informed please refer to:
http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9123

A short summary:
Our forum database has been comprised and users are urged to change their passwords.

This is a good time to inform users to do good password practices, if you are not tech-savvy with today's modern age there are various different articles on practicing safe passwords and so fourth, below will contain a link that users should read to keep secure passwords so when security breaches like this happens you are not effected on a personal way. If you are contacted by a person claiming to be with the DayZ Dev team and they ask you for any personal information do not respond to this person and block them from contacting you. DayZ Dev Team will not ask you for any personal information or passwords.

https://itservices.uchicago.edu/page/good-password-practices

Also along with this database security breach our us.armafiles.info mirror (US Mirror) was also comprised and the attacker tried to spread a malicious application to infect users, if you downloaded an application called 'dayz_auto_updater.exe' from early this morning US Eastern time 6-8am on the date 6/9/2012 you should scan your computer for viruses and check your Appdata folder for .exe's containing the file names:

D3D8THK.exe
VSCover.exe

An extensive report by ThreatExpert can explain how to locate these malicious applications:

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=ead7a55075d5ce1a32353832bed88069

And lastly for server hosts who have provided DayZ with RDP details for their servers are to quickly react on this and to change the RDP's account password and scan your server for any of the malicious software above as your servers integrity is comprised. Please do not contact DayZ Dev Team with new RDP Details, DayZ is no longer requesting RDP details for servers after this breach and hosts will be required to maintain their servers on their own. If a server host is contacted by anyone claiming to be with the DayZ Dev Team and are asking for server RDP details do not reply to this person and block them from getting in touch with you. DayZ Dev Team will not ask you for RDP details.

We cannot express how deeply sorry we are that this happened and are correcting our mistakes where we have went wrong so such a breach never happens again.

With kind regards,
Tonic
DayZ Dev Team

ameratsu

Yeah, I think I am done with this at least until some significant updates are rolled out. Was fun and well worth the $15 price tag though.

I've changed skins three times now, never happened to me. Where did you find the Mk48 and which version you're playing? I must have played this game for 50 hours near NW airfield and never seen an LMG ever.

Running version 1.7, happened both the first and second time I used a skin

You can find LMGs it in the barracks, but there's only a 0.11% change of it spawning there according to the loot sheet

http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Loot#Barracks

(scroll down for loot sheet)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Are those zombie counters right?

I swear they can't be.. was on a 25p server and the count was around 300.. by damn if every little town I can by wasn't swarming with the bastards.

I killed about 40 between a small town and a barn about a km away.. ran out of ammo.. both times were me being sloppy and spotted.. with no ammo I was fucked.. but damn.. so I had killed 40.. and had a zombie trail of at least 12 following me... that would have been like 17% of the zombie pop on the server that I was just unlucky enough to spot?

That can't be right.

mik83kuu

Banned
Are those zombie counters right?

I swear they can't be.. was on a 25p server and the count was around 300.. by damn if every little town I can by wasn't swarming with the bastards.

I killed about 40 between a small town and a barn about a km away.. ran out of ammo.. both times were me being sloppy and spotted.. with no ammo I was fucked.. but damn.. so I had killed 40.. and had a zombie trail of at least 12 following me... that would have been like 17% of the zombie pop on the server that I was just unlucky enough to spot?

That can't be right.

Zombies are populated by proximity and can respawn quite rapidly.

mik83kuu

Banned
Gotcha, lame... they need to turn the amount that spawn down.. crawling on your belly just isn't that fun.

Personally I don't mind the numbers, I just have ridiculous amounts of hate for their (lack of) AI. I don't care if zombies walk or run. I don't care if they can swim and climb ladders or not. I don't care if there's a hundred zombies per square feet. I do, however, care that a game in 2012 (albeit a mod and in alpha) has this shitty AI for most likely the simplest type of enemy known in modern video games.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Personally I don't mind the numbers, I just have ridiculous amounts of hate for their (lack of) AI. I don't care if zombies walk or run. I don't care if they can swim and climb ladders or not. I don't care if there's a hundred zombies per square feet. I do, however, care that a game in 2012 (albeit a mod and in alpha) has this shitty AI for most likely the simplest type of enemy known in modern video games.

Well, the shouldn't be able to walk through doors, climb ladders, jump fences like nothing, teleport, fall through walls, have the stamina of a Kenyan distance runner?

I'd really like to be able to escape a hoard when out of ammo without glitching the zombies. Make them slower, and then keep the numbers up.. you can do this and keep the theme very fresh without destroying the hardcore nature of the game.

Since there's no melee, firing a makarov in a decent size town is suicide pretty much.. so one mistake early on and it's over.

.nimrod

I just started playing this, is there anything that can be done to shorten the load times when connecting to a server? It sometimes takes several minutes to get into a game.
Also, my framerate went to shit when i was playing on the TX8 server, dropped from 55-60 to 10-20 oO

mik83kuu

Banned
I just started playing this, is there anything that can be done to shorten the load times when connecting to a server? It sometimes takes several minutes to get into a game.
Also, my framerate went to shit when i was playing on the TX8 server, dropped from 55-60 to 10-20 oO

As long as you are using 1.7.0 there's nothing more to do. If you're still on 1.6.0.1 then install 1.7.0 immediately. EDIT: Nvm, you were playing on TX8 so you're 1.7.0

robin2

A lot of time passed since I last palyed; are servers EU1, EU2, EU3 and UK1 down now? I don't see them anymore.

On what (european) server do you guys usually play?

Edit:

The Arma 2 beta patch is now mandatory?

mik83kuu

Banned
A lot of time passed since I last palyed; are servers EU1, EU2, EU3 and UK1 down now? I don't see them anymore.

On what (european) server do you guys usually play?

Edit:

The Arma 2 beta patch is now mandatory?

While technically it's not, many servers have it as a requirement since it has some really great improvements over all.

Jibbed

Has anyone else been experiencing a lot of lag lately? Even when I join low-ping EU/UK servers, there still seem to be connection issues and delays with shooting, gear management etc. It's got a lot worse this last week or so.

I'm running the latest patch and beta (93616), and I'm from the UK with 8mb broadband. A few weeks ago it was fine.

mik83kuu

Banned
Has anyone else been experiencing a lot of lag lately? Even when I join low-ping EU/UK servers, there still seem to be connection issues and delays with shooting, gear management etc. It's got a lot worse this last week or so.

I'm running the latest patch and beta (93616), and I'm from the UK with 8mb broadband. A few weeks ago it was fine.

It's a wide problem right now. Not entire sure what's causing it, but there was that security breach / botnet stuff from two days ago that might be causing it.

Jibbed

It's a wide problem right now. Not entire sure what's causing it, but there was that security breach / botnet stuff from two days ago that might be causing it.

Right. My friend and I are playing again right now, and it's just worse again.

In some cases, our pings seem to double going from the server menu to the actual game.. no idea why that's happening.

The M.O.B

The lag takes a huge chunk of fun out of the game, not actual lag, but the lag between shooting a person and those shoots actually affecting them.

I get the jump on this dude in Stary, put 5 Kobra bullets in him, then a second later he gets 1 winchester shot off and apparently it was a headshot. We both end up dying at the same time. Those 5 shots I landed should have dropped him immediately. And this was on a server I was getting a 45ping constantly. /sigh

DTKT

The lag takes a huge chunk of fun out of the game, not actual lag, but the lag between shooting a person and those shoots actually affecting them.

I get the jump on this dude in Stary, put 5 Kobra bullets in him, then a second later he gets 1 winchester shot off and apparently it was a headshot. We end up both end up dying at the same time. Those 5 shots I landed should have dropped him immediately. And this was on a server I was getting a 45ping constantly. /sigh

Yeah, that's mostly why I never engage up close. I hope that's something they can fix in A3.

Anton668

from what I read on the forums, the recent lag problems are due to a quick fix that was implemented thanks to that hacker fuckwit that hacked servers and the DayZ forums.

I'll see if I can find it....

Edit:
Tonic said:
(Yesterday 06:22 PM)WildGunsTomcat Wrote:
Tonic said:
(Yesterday 06:22 PM)Tonic Wrote: I have since came to senses and don't plan on posting his information unless he tries something else. Once Rocket gets online I believe we're going to have a nice discussion on how to pursue this.

Tonic, is what this kid did causing all the server lag?

Tonic said:
No, that was a additional security thing added to the database server for DayZ this morning and it's causing problems.

so maybe not connected to hacker fucktard, but theres your answer...

dionysus

Yaldog
If you swim for a while do you lose your pack? Drank some water before jumping into the ocean to swim across one of the harbors, when I got out on the other side and went to fill up my bottle the pack was gone, along with all my food, flares, etc.

DTKT

If you swim for a while do you lose your pack? Drank some water before jumping into the ocean to swim across one of the harbors, when I got out on the other side and went to fill up my bottle the pack was gone, along with all my food, flares, etc.

Yep, water is evil. For some reason, anytime you start the swimming animation, you might lose your backpack.

Knee deep seems to be fine.

Kritz

Banned
I'm one of the guys Dmax was playing with when we found the van- what's your steam name? We should join forces a bit. The more the merrier and all that.

Steam ID is Kritz7, but if you're searching just type in Kritz. I'm the guy with a really shit drawn avatar thing.

AusGAF also has an incredibly active Steam group chat, because we're idiots and hate IRC (except on workdays). And a thread over in community!

/recruiting

WedgeX

Banned
Our night can be summed up thusly:

is7buGt1f96Da.bmp

i5N1vKLhf0BoU.bmp

Top Bottom