• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

Wha? That shouldn't be possible... It's VSync, which unlocks when you go below 60 FPS. There should be no tearing.

You're right. My framerate is around 50-60fps, which probably means that vsync is unlocked most of the time and why I notice the tearing.

Ithil

Now...I have only a 550 ti, will that cause problems? Tomb Raider runs very well on high, a bit sluggish (mainly in cutscenes) on ultra, unplayable with TressFX on.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Curious why there are AO bits specifically for Bioshock Infinite when it features an in-game option for HDAO?

If we have support from another game already we may as well throw it out there. Someone might get some use out of it :)

You're right. My framerate is around 50-60fps, which probably means that vsync is unlocked most of the time and why I notice the tearing.

Tearing occurs when your frame rate goes over the refresh rate of your monitor: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-the-geforce-gtx-680-gpu#adaptive-vsync

AdaptiveVSync-2-650.png

Came across a cutscene bug. Not sure if it's really related to performance though but i'll post it anyway
Things were happening and it suddenly cut to a freeze frame of the end of the section, you could still hear the background trying to catch up and when it got to the part that was frozen it resumed like normal. Not a big deal really, only lasted about 5 seconds, but kind of annoying
For anyone wondering it's the part where
the song bird is chasing you for the first time and you plunge into the water

Soi-Fong

Man huge difference in performance between having diffused depth of field on or off.

With it on:

hZm.jpg

With it off:

iZm.jpg

Just used the benchmarking tool directly from the game. Highest DX11 settings.

I have a 2600k, HD 5970 and 16 GB 1600mHz ram.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I don't know why people think this is true... In every game I've tried using adaptive vsync on I always get tearing when the frame rate goes under 60. Certainly not as bad as when it goes above 60 without vsync, but the tearing is definitely still present.

That's what the pic says, v-sync off when below 60, so tearing ensues.

Now...I have only a 550 ti, will that cause problems? Tomb Raider runs very well on high, a bit sluggish (mainly in cutscenes) on ultra, unplayable with TressFX on.
I have the same card and I just went through several benchmarks and the game for me runs very smooth with most options on high.
Per Scene Stats:
Scene Duration (seconds), Average FPS, Min FPS, Max FPS, Scene Name
32.70, 43.48, 14.58, 65.31, Welcome Center
6.69, 39.94, 10.60, 55.18, Scene Change: Disregard Performance In This Section
21.99, 41.39, 15.90, 59.23, Town Center
8.24, 38.00, 15.83, 55.78, Raffle
9.11, 56.43, 37.89, 66.34, Monument Island
3.02, 60.19, 54.07, 62.83, Benchmark Finished: Disregard Performance In This Section
81.76, 44.16, 10.60, 66.34, Overall
When I started the game I had Textures,filtering on ultra, shadows on high, Normal Post processing, AA on, level of detail on normal and ambient occlusion low. AO on normal drops my fps a little and I can't see a huge difference with it on low and on normal so normal it is. The game looks stunning man. I literally don't want to rush forward I just keep walking around in circles staring at the environment. They did a splendid job on atmosphere. Only thing I'm getting is lots of screen tearing with vsync on/off. Vsync doesn't lock my fps to 30 though as fraps reports 45-60fps in that initial garden area.

Firestorm

Ugh, why isn't this tool available without buying the game =/ I have a GTX 275 + Q9550 + 4GB RAM and want to figure out if I should stick with a 360 version or get this on PC.

Just played the first few hours of the game (wow! how surreal). But the engine clearly isn't optimized properly enough even with the latest NVIDIA drivers. Some moments were you observe some people and the game will automatically drop to 30fps. Other moments would drop to 40 plus on some "specific" angles.

Here's the rundown:

560Ti
i5-3570k 3.40Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia 314.22 driver

Settings:

All High (No ultra)
Medium dynamic shadows

I mean. What gives? It's a minor annoyance hope they patch this up.

EDIT: Some issues with mouse-look, very jarring.....

I haaaaate these ambiguous FOV sliders and numbers in configs. Just give me a freakin horizontal FOV angle to tweak. L:DKFSJL:SDKFJKLf#$(*)&

So "high res" textures like Dishonored and Metro 2033 (aka bullshit).

Not really, they just come with the main install. Xbox version only comes on one disk I believe which must mean at least a 6/7 gb difference. Suppose it is no Absolution or Payne though.
Anyone have detailed impressions of the alternative blur? Only played for 5 minutes before I had to leave for school. I thought it looked amazing but the standard option said something about "intended" which made me worry

Pagusas

Elden Member
To put an end to all the HD texture download talk I tweeted Chris Kline, tech head honcho on Infinite:

https://twitter.com/korkyplunger/status/316262383796502530

so at least we know we dont need to worry about downloading another 10gigs before playing. Though would have liked the option. It would really suck to be a console only gamer right now. Just looking at the pics posted in this thread you can tell the console versions are seriously gimped visually.

Anybody play with a 5770 yet? I'm tempted to preorder it after reading some reviews but just want to have an idea how it'll perform on my 5770.

Soi-Fong

Somebody posted here about increasing the pool bus to prevent stuttering. Anyone here know which .ini file that is.

Just a played a few minutes and sweet mother, the game may not be the best looking ever ala Crysis, but goddamn is the overall athmosphere fucking incredible. That intro is just superb.

Soo happy to be able to play this at practically max settings on PC.

Somebody posted here about increasing the pool bus to prevent stuttering. Anyone here know which .ini file that is.

Just a played a few minutes and sweet mother, the game may not be the best looking ever ala Crysis, but goddamn is the overall athmosphere fucking incredible. That intro is just superb.

Soo happy to be able to play this at practically max settings on PC.

The intro is pretty divine and the atmosphere is consistent the whole way so far. Extremely impressive stuff. Sadly later on the frames tank a little and I have no idea why, I'm indoors with nothing happening

Has anyone with a dual core had any performance experience yet? I have an E8600 overclocked to 4ghz and a 6950 so I'm hoping I should be able to max it out, minus a bell or whistle or two.

This is my first ever post on Neogaf. Here's to a long and fruitful relationship.

Grief.exe

I haaaaate these ambiguous FOV sliders and numbers in configs. Just give me a freakin horizontal FOV angle to tweak. L:DKFSJL:SDKFJKLf#$(*)&

I wish Source engine tweaks would become standard.

They really know how to do it. Integers for FOV, mouse sensitivity, etc.

To put an end to all the HD texture download talk I tweeted Chris Kline, tech head honcho on Infinite:

https://twitter.com/korkyplunger/status/316262383796502530

Thanks for the clarification

I was hoping for something like Sleeping Dogs :(

whyman

Shadow quality seems to have a big hit on framerate (I'm downsampling from 2560x1600) - on ultra some scenes would drop to 20fps, but on high I get around 50-60 fps. Running on a GTX 670.

Here's a comparison between shadows on high and ultra (DX11).

Wow that looks so the same that i will probably play on high just to get better framerate. And i love pretty games. :D

Top Bottom